✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

This is interesting.

i agree with a lot of what you've said. except i do think the whole band understands how lucky they are right now, more than ever. I do agree that the band is not up to their potential now. if you look at ahfod, it was mainly chris. let's be honest, of course it is the whole band that come together, but the driving force is chris. i think when chris had a chip on his shoulder, like he did when he was younger, they were extremely hungry! but now, they have matured and grown as people so much, they seem very content. i do believe that the restless souls brought up the best in coldplay than the happy souls we see today. amazing for them personally to reach such a happy place, but unfortunately, the output has been dropping in quality as this happened. also, the band seem to be centered around their kids. don't you get the feeling that they are writing for their kids, and by effect to their generation, more and more now? it sure looks like chris is using music as a way to bond with his kids. at least up until viva (possibly mx), the band was writing for their audience. but now i feel like they really are making what they want to make, forgot how it looks to the people they once wanted to impress (like critics, peers).

about the technical abilities of the band, yeah, none of them are technically highly proficient. if i had to pick one thing about coldplay above other artists, that would be their melodies. but when the band is at it's finest, they come together gloriously. and that's the beauty of coldplay.

I often think about the days "when Chris had a chip on his shoulder". I know that he feels it created a lot tension within himself and made him unable to appreciate both himself and the band, but I think that's what (for the most part) imbibed the songs with this fragile, human insecurity that so many fans were able to relate to. Don't get me wrong, I can see how flawed / monochrome X&Y was (and I'm by no means an Oldplayer) now compared to what came after, but I feel that aspect has been lost.

And that's just the emotional / psychological tone of the songs. Don't get me started on the politic(k)s, or lack thereof.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

It gets more interesting.

Yesterday I was watching a live Periscope of the show in Amsterdam (23 June) and the vocals on Up&Up sounded… familiar.

Compare this (second video on the page):

http://www.nova969.com.au/novas-red-room-global-tours/coldplay-live-videos#2

to this:

It's especially clear in the bridge (you can say what is … see each sunrise as a gift).

Sigh. It's not getting any better, is it?

• Like 1

Wait, he is lip-syncing Up&Up now too ? :censored:

Yes. I just checked and we can add yesterday (24th) to the list.

Maybe you should replace the word "interesting" with "frustrating" ~

Maybe I should, yeah… The way I view the band is changing a lot because of this.

• Like 2

As a fan, this is embarrassing, but in Barcelona, playing I see you soon, at the end Chris don´t play the guitar and the music continues...

Actually, he is using a loop pedal that records a snippet of guitar and plays it over and over. That's how he's able to create several layers of acoustic guitar sound before entirely not playing at all and then just turning the volume down.

If you want a very thorough demonstration of how the loop pedal works, check out this video of Chris performing Clocks:

• Like 6

Actually, he is using a loop pedal that records a snippet of guitar and plays it over and over. That's how he's able to create several layers of acoustic guitar sound before entirely not playing at all and then just turning the volume down.

If you want a very thorough demonstration of how the loop pedal works, check out this video of Chris performing Clocks:

Ok. Thanks for the explanation, great video :) You have given me confidence in Chris again :)

• Like 1

Looks like lipsynching clocks might come to an end. The videos from the Kensington palace gig show that Chris sang clocks live. And BBC has edited out clocks and everglow from the red button replay. Everglow understandable (and possibly shows that the mishap was not preplanned). Read that the whole show was posted at first and then these edited out later. Looks like someone in the coldplay camp took notice.

Let's hope this sticks for the rest of the tour. Can't believe coldplay lipsynched a song at glasto!

• Like 3

Looks like lipsynching clocks might come to an end. The videos from the Kensington palace gig show that Chris sang clocks live. And BBC has edited out clocks and everglow from the red button replay. Everglow understandable (and possibly shows that the mishap was not preplanned). Read that the whole show was posted at first and then these edited out later. Looks like someone in the coldplay camp took notice.

Let's hope this sticks for the rest of the tour. Can't believe coldplay lipsynched a song at glasto!

I've downloaded the Coldplay show of June 23rd, which was broadcasted by 3FM (a Dutch radio station). They noted on their site that Everglow was edited out because they were not given permission to use it. What you said might be a good explanation for it.

And could Chris have playbacked the stripped Everglow version at Glastonbury? And how about Clocks?

I recorded the show and may be able to upload it, so anybody can check if it has been playbacked or not.

As Clocks is my favourite song,the which gave the opportunity to discover them,I have to share my point of view...

I read what you said and in some way he seems lipsynching the 'you are' part...but I can't believe Chris doing it for the whole tour,for a song like Clocks is!

So i re watched the video that i did during Manchester show and he seems like he's singing the whole song normally..so,I can understand that if he has some vocal problem during the tour maybe he had to preserve his voice by skipping 'hard parts' in some song (singing as he do,at his age,for 2 hours,more than 3 times a week,should be not easy in any way), but I'm not convinced!

And in Glastonbury in no way everglow is playbacked for me..the way he sing is really different,at least is what I remember,also for Up&Up...in Manchester i didn't notice anything strange

I think that they're very well respected also for they live performance and that is what make me think that Chris don't lipsynch..at least,when you're in a their live show you can only enjoy them and think that they're really great :)

As Clocks is my favourite song,the which gave the opportunity to discover them,I have to share my point of view...

I read what you said and in some way he seems lipsynching the 'you are' part...but I can't believe Chris doing it for the whole tour,for a song like Clocks is!

So i re watched the video that i did during Manchester show and he seems like he's singing the whole song normally..so,I can understand that if he has some vocal problem during the tour maybe he had to preserve his voice by skipping 'hard parts' in some song (singing as he do,at his age,for 2 hours,more than 3 times a week,should be not easy in any way), but I'm not convinced!

And in Glastonbury in no way everglow is playbacked for me..the way he sing is really different,at least is what I remember,also for Up&Up...in Manchester i didn't notice anything strange

I think that they're very well respected also for they live performance and that is what make me think that Chris don't lipsynch..at least,when you're in a their live show you can only enjoy them and think that they're really great :)

Good point!

Could really be a good explanation, that he skips harder parts and just lipsyncs these small parts. I guess that's something everyone could live with :)

But then the question remains why they don't give boradcasters the permission to use clocks [emoji848]

It gets more interesting.

Yesterday I was watching a live Periscope of the show in Amsterdam (23 June) and the vocals on Up&Up sounded… familiar.

Compare this (second video on the page):

http://www.nova969.com.au/novas-red-room-global-tours/coldplay-live-videos#2

to this:

It's especially clear in the bridge (you can say what is … see each sunrise as a gift).

Sigh. It's not getting any better, is it?

Familiar? Yeah I've heard this song before. I'm 99% sure this is Chris singing live. The "See each sunrise as a gift" part was just him singing it in a lower octave/register. The video makes it hard to differentiate so I can see how you misheard this part. This is sung live, I can assure you that.

• Like 1

I think the reason why everglow might not be given rights to be broadcast is because they plan on releasing it as a single. Chris definitely didn't lipsynch the acoustic everglow at glasto for sure.

I think the reason why everglow might not be given rights to be broadcast is because they plan on releasing it as a single. Chris definitely didn't lipsynch the acoustic everglow at glasto for sure.

Or it is the song for the Glastonbury charity album...

• Administrators
Or it is the song for the Glastonbury charity album...

an out of tune version of everglow would not suit the album though. And it still doesn't make sense why they didn't allow 3fm to broadcast it

• Administrators

Wasn't everglow the second single?

Wasn't everglow the second single?

umm was it? there is no video right? oh there is the live recording but don't think that could be considered an mv for a single. let's see tomorrow what song coldplay are recording a video for.

The "See each sunrise as a gift" part was just him singing it in a lower octave/register. The video makes it hard to differentiate so I can see how you misheard this part.

Well, there's more to it than just that part. When listening to the Periscope I first recognized the autotune on the voice, so I thought they might've been using live vocals transformed by an autotuner. The Red Room performance also has the autotune which I noted before.

Then I started recognizing particularities, especially in the bridge – not just "see each sunrise as a gift," but all of this:

and you can say what is, or fight for it

close your mind or take a risk

you can say it’s mine and clench your fist

or see each sunrise as a gift

This gave me strong suspicions that it wasn't live. And then the way he sang "see each sunrise as a gift," was just what convinced me, since I'd only ever heard him sing it that way at the Red Room performance.

If you don't hear it immediately, keep listening carefully to both performances (or compare it to Amsterdam on the 24th, or Berlin on the 29th instead) and it should become clear.

Well, there's more to it than just that part. When listening to the Periscope I first recognized the autotune on the voice, so I thought they might've been using live vocals transformed by an autotuner. The Red Room performance also has the autotune which I noted before.

Then I started recognizing particularities, especially in the bridge – not just "see each sunrise as a gift," but all of this:

and you can say what is, or fight for it

close your mind or take a risk

you can say it’s mine and clench your fist

or see each sunrise as a gift

This gave me strong suspicions that it wasn't live. And then the way he sang "see each sunrise as a gift," was just what convinced me, since I'd only ever heard him sing it that way at the Red Room performance.

If you don't hear it immediately, keep listening carefully to both performances (or compare it to Amsterdam on the 24th, or Berlin on the 29th instead) and it should become clear.

Do you know the difference between Autotune and a backing track? You probably heard a backing track composed of Chris' voice being played over. Autotune is a whole another ball game. Autotune enhances a singer's voice. I'd say, just enjoy the show for what it's worth.

• Like 4