✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

No, I meant Will. When I say producer, I mean more in terms of creating the electronic drums/synths than mixing the sounds together, if that makes any sense. So not like Rik Simpson, think more of Kanye.

Ah ok, at first i thought you meant the influence Guy had on the production.

Oh and please don't take this the wrong way, I still love pre-Mylo Coldplay of course. A Rush of Blood to the Head and Viva are two of the greatest alternative albums of all time. Just giving the rest of the discography the recognition it deserves.

We're not talking about how good is an album or another, we're talking about production.

MX, aside from the quality of the songs it contains (that is partially subjective), has a poor production because the high and low frequencies don't get enhanced and because all the instruments, background synths, etc. are mixed in a way that all the sounds are confusing. You can appreciate this by listening MX-era songs live: they are ALL better live. This thing doesn't happen with Parachutes or AROBTTH and even X&Y.

This is the consequence of the turbulent relationship between Brian Eno and the band at the time MX was being released.

In fact, during the GS era the production was waaaaaay different from MX, becoming even too polished and clean in a bunch of tracks.

Talking about AHFOD production isn't needed, because a great number of people here said that Stargate made an awful work (just listen to Up&Up live and studio version for example, that song has been killed).

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

We're not talking about how good is an album or another, we're talking about production.

MX, aside from the quality of the songs it contains (that is partially subjective), has a poor production because the high and low frequencies don't get enhanced and because all the instruments, background synths, etc. are mixed in a way that all the sounds are confusing. You can appreciate this by listening MX-era songs live: they are ALL better live. This thing doesn't happen with Parachutes or AROBTTH and even X&Y.

This is the consequence of the turbulent relationship between Brian Eno and the band at the time MX was being released.

In fact, during the GS era the production was waaaaaay different from MX, becoming even too polished and clean in a bunch of tracks.

Talking about AHFOD production isn't needed, because a great number of people here said that Stargate made an awful work (just listen to Up&Up live and studio version for example, that song has been killed).

Again, **pleasseeee** read the comment above. You are not understanding me properly.

Interesting, what turbulent relationship ?

I was told some time ago that Brian Eno and the band had to get through several issues during that recording session, mainly because the artistical direction that the album was growing with wasn't being well received from both the parts. That's why Eno left before the session finished and the band started to overproduce songs.

I was told some time ago that Brian Eno and the band had to get through several issues during that recording session, mainly because the artistical direction that the album was growing with wasn't being well received from both the parts. That's why Eno left before the session finished and the band started to overproduce songs.

Oh. I wish he had stayed, then. If he had stayed, we would probably have gotten something closer in feel to VLVODAAHF - still not as good as the first three, but at least better than the MX we have now.

Again, **pleasseeee** read the comment above. You are not understanding me properly.

I read it, I know you were saying something different, but you talked about production not properly (always ihmo obviously) 'cause you were trying to defend the quality of the "Newplay" songs.

Let's talk frankly: during the gap between VLV and MX the band changed their target, and their style and genre by consequence.

A person can like it or not, but this is what happened. Now, how can we compare songs like Spies and Paradise? They are just too different, they're galaxies apart. I'm not saying which one is better, I'm just saying they're like being played by two different bands.

This is mainly because of the friendship relation between Chris and Jay-z, that led CM into another world, the world of mainstream pop stars. That was the point of no turning back. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, it depends on what one tries to find in the music he listens. I always try to find something that surprise me and that links to my musical taste and my soul.

Pre-MX Coldplay managed to do it always, post-Viva fails to do so very often. But I still love them

• Like 1

I read it, I know you were saying something different, but you talked about production not properly (always ihmo obviously) 'cause you were trying to defend the quality of the "Newplay" songs.

Let's talk frankly: during the gap between VLV and MX the band changed their target, and their style and genre by consequence.

A person can like it or not, but this is what happened. Now, how can we compare songs like Spies and Paradise? They are just too different, they're galaxies apart. I'm not saying which one is better, I'm just saying they're like being played by two different bands.

This is mainly because of the friendship relation between Chris and Jay-z, that led CM into another world, the world of mainstream pop stars. That was the point of no turning back. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, it depends on what one tries to find in the music he listens. I always try to find something that surprise me and that links to my musical taste and my soul.

Pre-MX Coldplay managed to do it always, post-Viva fails to do so very often. But I still love them

Well we're talking about two different things then. I never said anything about this concept of "Newplay" or "Oldplay" being better than the other. I just find it incredibly annoying when people use the argument that because it's pop music it's bad (which i'm not saying anyone here used). All i'm saying is that the boys know exactly what they have been doing since January 1998-ish.

Well we're talking about two different things then. I never said anything about this concept of "Newplay" or "Oldplay" being better than the other. I just find it incredibly annoying when people use the argument that because it's pop music it's bad (which i'm not saying anyone here used). All i'm saying is that the boys know exactly what they have been doing since January 1998-ish.

I used that word just for time saving reasons :)

I stopped to make war about music a couple of years ago when I just realized that everyone has its own perspective of music. Sorry if I let you intend that I was going to open again that topic, it wasn't my goal.

• Like 2

What have I done... no need to start another Oldplay vs Newplay war over a comment everyone.

Oh well, I may as well chime in.

I know its a matter of opinion and everything, but honestly the instrumentation of the last three albums are much better the 1st four. Will is a phenomenal producer and the best bass lines and some of the best riffs have come from from AHFOD alone.

Again I know its opinion but i get angry when people say Mylo, Ghost Stories, or AHFOD are "forgettable" or "low effort" because its just untrue. Maybe vocal parts/lyrics aren't as meaningful (sorry Chris) but the rest of the band are for sure shining through more than ever.

anyway this isnt the right place to discuss this.

Mylo and Ghost Stories are definitely not low effort. They're both beautiful albums and don't get anywhere near the recognition they deserve. In fact, I think it would be fair to start distinguishing between pre and post Mylo instead of VLVODAAHF. GS is where a lot of the electronic elements began on a consistent basis. I used to think that it was a bit derivative and bland, however upon listening to the instrumentals I found that this was completely untrue. I think the vocals cover up a lot of the magic here. There's something about the sound of the instrumentals that's so unique and stripped down, but in an electronic way. They throw in the right sounds at the right time and is anything but overproduced. It sounds just gorgeous, anyone who hasn't check out the GS instrumentals and you will find a great blend of synths. I don't know why people call this album "recycled boring pop music" because it def isn't, if that's the case I'd like some links to listen to some songs GS style outside of Coldplay within the mainstream. I haven't heard 1 song like them thus far, This is a very unique synthpop album and deserves much more recognitiion and it has risen in my album rankings. Not many bands or acts can create sounds like these.

Speaking of AHFOD, I'd think that it is a lower quality album than the rest. If we're talking originality wise this might be where I draw the line, especially with songs like "HFTW" and especially Army of One. To be fair, HFTW does have some original and unique elements but overall it's mostly just a standard R&B or pop song. I'd like to think this is a really watered down Mylo Xyloto with electronic elements from GS. They sounded great on their own, however combined together it sounds "good". Alright. Nothing too special. I really do like the album but I think not as much effort was put into this one, or they were looking to go with a more radio friendly sound in possible attempts to keep up with the new sound instead of change it (there are some exceptions). This is one of the differences between Mylo and AHFOD, I feel that Mylo actually had quite a few unique elements especially with songs like HLH and wasn't merely a copy of pop music, while AHFOD feels like only a few steps above what's popular of course with their own twists. Army of One definitely feels like filler even though it's an alright song. I'd have loved to hear more of "AHFOD", "Birds", "Fun", and "Amazing Day". Up&Up sounds like it was produced by a bunch of 5 year olds who were given a really dumbed down and easy to use program with easy access to everything and presets galore. The song itself is gorgeous, and for a real version of the song I recommend checking out it's live debut, but in the studio there are unnecessary noises (hand claps overused, taking over the piano intro, should only be used sparingly) and not enough noises in other parts (chorus is both underproduced AND overproduced... wait, what?!!? That really sounds like something only a 5 year old could screw up that badly. Anyway, the guitar part is all dumbed down and watered down and there is no freaking ride cymbal which is what gave the live version most of it's energy. Throw away the electronic drums, make the guitar shine, put in the ride cymbal again, and make the choir sound like it actually has energy... honestly Stargate just destroyed the chorus of that song). Then we have the Believe in Love part that sounds sooooo watered down... I would take the live Believe in Love, blend it with the studio Believe in Love, and slightly time strech. That would be my ending, I would also time strech around the last 15 seconds and create this beautiful ambient vibe to finish off the track.

So those are my thoughts on those albums.

So MX is better produced than Parachutes... I haven't got words anymore, it's just a mistification of reality

Sorry bud, just opinions. I think MX is beautifully produced, so is Parachutes,

AHFOD would be a better album to bash.

Oh my gosh. I saw like 17 new posts here, so I was hoping that there was news about the EP. Was disappointed :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's entirely my fault, sorry lol. My post is entirely what started this whole conversation.

I know its a matter of opinion and everything, but honestly the instrumentation of the last three albums are much better the 1st four. Will is a phenomenal producer and the best bass lines and some of the best riffs have come from from AHFOD alone.

Again I know its opinion but i get angry when people say Mylo, Ghost Stories, or AHFOD are "forgettable" or "low effort" because its just untrue. Maybe vocal parts/lyrics aren't as meaningful (sorry Chris) but the rest of the band are for sure shining through more than ever.

anyway this isnt the right place to discuss this.

COMPLETELY AGREE. People seem to overlook just how much better Coldplay has gotten musically since Viva. You cannot even compare them, honestly.

• Like 1

Sorry for starting this after i should have ended it :/ i just wanted to defend this stupid concept of "newplay" and "oldplay" it makes me angrywhen people say one is better than the other because the band stopped trying.

Actually, I am technically to blame. I was entirely joking about that improv being better than the last 3 albums combined (as you know I love Mylo and have found a new appreciation for Ghost Stories). Some people however actually agreed with that statement or almost did, but I said it because I knew some people would agree. I just had to do it, kinda funny.

I agree with all your posts.

Same thing that happened to the LP7 thread before AHFOD was released :/

And after, and all around it...

And after Amazing Day was released as well, that kinda split the forums... not sure why

But the difference is:

Really? I've never seen this topic discussed in such a adult manner before. Usually its shit-slinging on both sides. This is a tea party in comparison.

At least there's that much. This forum can be so nice most of the time but the one time where that's not true usually is the oldplay newplay debates. Amazing Day that was played in Global Citizen long before the album released spawned one of those and to my memory it wasn't pretty.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Coldplaying mobile app

At least there's that much. This forum can be so nice most of the time but the one time where that's not true usually is the oldplay newplay debates. Amazing Day that was played in Global Citizen long before the album released spawned one of those and to my memory it wasn't pretty.

Same thing happened with ETiaW the summer before MX dropped. That was an ugly debate

• Like 2

We're bound to have disagreements, but its when the conversation gets personal and crosses the line that it gets disappointing. Perhaps it was unrealistic of me, but I really did think we were above it.

Oh well, back to KEP watch, or lack thereof :/

• Like 1

has it been discussed yet that ryan tedder said in a grammy interview that he has been working with stargate and coldplay? correct me if i'm wrong, but he didn't work on ahfod, so this has to be about the ep. then stargate again?? hope not..

• Like 2