✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

I don't know how many of you guys follow Linkin Park, but many fans don't like the single they've released today. I myself seriously think that One Direction can do better than that. But whatever, just goes to show that you don't need Stargate to make something bad. The bigger issue is for the band not go into the "easy route" of carelessly putting together same-old same-old. This is why it's not necessarily a good thing if Coldplay releases the EP as soon as possible. I'd rather have them take their time to do all the hard work and release something of substantive quality. We all know that Coldplay operate best when they have enough time to work on the album. If they would have given AHFOD another year of work, it would've turned out massively better. Even Coldplaying user @MC01Coldplay, after having spent 1 year editing AHFOD, made a significant improvement on it. (In case you haven't listened, check it out here - it's the only version of AHFOD I listen to nowadays.) So all this to say: I really don't even mind if they release the EP in December. Take your time, Coldplay.

But of course, I will still be checking the ASCAP website for any updates because I'm still as excited as all of you ;)

The songs I've heard from Linkin Park I like so far but that new one sounds like a Chainsmokers song. Like really? I actually like the Chainsmokers but a band like Linkin Park shouldn't be doing that kind of music. I'd much prefer them doing something much more artistically valid and unique. Sadly that ain't happening... hopefully the rest of the album is far better. Funny because people would probably click on it thinking it's a really heavy song when it's the complete opposite...

And I completely agree with you on the time thing. I'd rather have a masterpiece of an EP be released in December than more of the same stuff with no progression shown whatsoever be released in the next few weeks. If they can make it really good I can wait.

I totally see what you're saying about @MC01Coldplay's edit of AHFOD, I love it and it goes to show what an extra year of work can do to an album. Beautifully crafted, well thought out work. It makes AHFOD sound sooooo much better artistically speaking and it's really unique. It make it sound like an album meaning to push boundaries of today's pop music which ultimately is what we need if we are to improve today's mainstream music tastes. Great job @MC01Coldplay, and keep it up!

I suppose PoC could be considered a sad song lyrically, but as far as the soundscape goes it's kinda the opposite *shrug* And to be honest, I'd forgotten that UIF existed until now because I haven't listened to it for literal years lol

Anyway, I agree with you. It's just that (excluding GS), the "new" Coldplay consistently releases more happy poppy songs than somber, serious ones.

To be honest I didn't really know why I threw PoC in there, even the instrumental IMO isn't super happy like ETIAW or AHFOD, but it's not really depressing either... that's why I threw in "more like a lead up" because the song sounds like it would lead up to a really depressing song like UiF.

That is the case though. They are releasing more happy songs, but I naturally think that's because they as people changed, They no longer feel that sense of insecurity and uncertainty about their future like they did in the past, they have been freed and their outlook on life I'm sure has changed considerably, and with that the sound of their music changes. It's just a natural progression I guess. That's why I wouldn't quite label them as sell outs, there is a legitimate reason they're making what they are today. I just hope it doesn't go too far and for the next album they go in the direction of HFTW and make even poppier songs, that would be absolutely awful. There is a way to make happy songs without going too pop (see Viva and IMO Mylo eras even though I can see disagreement on that part). I even really like a lot of pop but just not a lot of it that comes out today, a lot of pop from 2014 and before especially I can handle, right around the mid way point of 2015 is where it really went downhill. Then I think EDM and house had a slight revival midway or slightly before it in 2016 which is way better than the hip hop stuff that took over before, and now... It's hard to get a general sense of what's popular now but I think overall the quality has dipped again. No matter what there is songs I dislike in every year but it seems to be growing, and even more stupid silly songs are coming out now than ever before wheras in the past a lot of the music was genuine.

Anyway this post has gone on too long now so I'll quit here, I'm pretty sure you get what I'm saying...

EDIT: also another reason for the happiness of this album could be the bounceback from the GS era

Why is new pop bad? I can understand not liking Katy Perry and bubblegum artists like that but Coldplay are still making diverse pop like they always have. No song on AHFOD sounds like another on the record.

AHFOD: Pop rock edm anthem

Birds: Fast paced guitar-filled tune that grows to the very end

HFTW: The most bubblegum tbh, but at least it includes horns and a cool guitar riff at the end, not mentioning the queen of today's music.

Everglow: a freaking piano ballad with a guitar solo at the end. You can't complain about a Coldplay piano ballad. They've been making em for years lol.

AOAL: something new and groovy. Lyrics are kinda crap lol but it's a new thing that I'm glad they did.

Fun: Beautiful song that's forgotten a lot. Sure the lyrics aren't the best, but the circling guitar riff and acoustic drums make an excellent soundscape.

Kaleidoscope: Best interlude ever! Cool sounds and it has purpose!

Army of One: I think it's cool they made a song based on a vocal riff. Drums are the best on the album. All that's missing is a guitar solo I think. The riffs at the end are cool and all but I think Jonny could've easily made a masterful solo for this one. I won't even talk about XMTS because it's just bad.

Amazing Day: Easily one of the best Coldplay songs made. Beautiful strings, strong bass, catchy riff and beautiful lyrics

Color Spectrum: yeah, kinda useless.

Up&Up: The definition of a Coldplay song. Working hard and seeing the good in life and never giving up. Plus 2 solos in one song!

I think sometimes we use the past to compare to the present and forget how far this band has come. To call them sell outs is kinda dumb because everyone says that when their favorite band changes. People change. Fact of life. You don't have to like it, but don't let it blind you from the possible good sides of the change. The band has never made an album where the songs all sound the same. This album is just as diverse (though not as good) as Viva. This band has really grown since 1998 and it's a shame to call their success a sellout because they're doing what they want and it's working. People have said the same about other bands (Fall Out Boy, Green Day) when those bands are still topping charts. So you can complain about a change in sound and just forget about how your favorite band is having success, or you can party with them. Your choice

Sent from my VIVO AIR using Coldplaying mobile app

I agree with a lot of what you're saying however AHFOD and AOAL sound similarish to me as well as a couple others. Yes, there are some differences but you could say that for virtually any album.

Great descriptions of all of the songs, I agree with all but two (can't hear the EDM part to AHFOD... maybe an influence of it in the part with the finger snaps and hand claps before the final really upbeat part and Colour Spectrum is beautiful and serves as a gorgeous transition between Amazing Day and Up&Up!) I know I've said this a lot but seriously the studio version of Up&Up is so overproduced it's literally unlistenable, I always replace it with the live debut instead. The studio doesn't take off and soar at all unlike the other version and it's sounds so underwhelming in comparison.

I agree with your statements on why the band aren't sellouts. This is still a good album, but if we are unlucky it is a bad sign of things to come. Hopefully they don't go any deeper into this pop theme then they already have, and instead look to push pop music's boundaries and possibly even dramatically shift the mainstream's music tastes from what it is now into something much more genuine and artistically valid.

I personally have not listened to either California or Revolution Radio but I might someday. I could see why you're saying what you are though, I've listened to a song from each (Bored to Death and I can't remember the name of the one from RR.) I do like both of those bands.

Overall, an agreeable post.

I actually liked the new Imagine Dragons song imo. Much better than I Bet My Life and alot of Smoke + Mirrors. But both Linkin Park and All Time Low have sunk into a territory they should have never gone into. All Time Low is now part of a label called "Fueled by Ramen". Lately, that label has been influencing their newer bands to make something poppier, such as The Basement. Now, Linkin Park went into the worst direction possible for their newest one. I'm afraid there is no excuse for them besides the fact that they want to pander to the newer generation and the current trends in the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Basement? As in 'Basement' (the band)? They're not pop at ALL. They're actually the best thing on the label. Seriously, pick up 'Promise Everything'.

But overall I completely agree with what you are saying, Archi.

Why is new pop bad? I can understand not liking Katy Perry and bubblegum artists like that but Coldplay are still making diverse pop like they always have.

Because its not the "cool thing" to like pop songs lol. The cool thing is like alternative indie pretencious stuff. Other rule is all popular things are cheap and have no value. Coldplay are too popular now and because of that everything they will do will sucks. BTW I'm joking but there are a lot of people who act that way, people who like to act different only for the sake o being different and not for being honest with themselves. I know that because I was one of them in the past lol.

Enviado de meu MotoG3 usando Tapatalk

I actually think Katy Perry's new song is better than most of AHFOD.

I keep repeating this all the time but Coldplay's recent output (2011 - now) is not good pop in my opinion. There's a reason why this last few albums have the lowest ratings not only in sites like Metacritic or Anydecentmusic, but also on Rate Your Music.

• Like 1

Because its not the "cool thing" to like pop songs lol. The cool thing is like alternative indie pretencious stuff. Other rule is all popular things are cheap and have no value. Coldplay are too popular now and because of that everything they will do will sucks. BTW I'm joking but there are a lot of people who act that way, people who like to act different only for the sake o being different and not for being honest with themselves. I know that because I was one of them in the past lol.

Enviado de meu MotoG3 usando Tapatalk

Yeah, but I like pop and rock, alternative and indie and metal and electronic. Just not CURRENT pop, which is SHIT. Anything in the mainstream these days, honestly. I don't care what's 'cool' to like. I like what I like.

• Like 3

I actually think Katy Perry's new song is better than most of AHFOD.

I keep repeating this all the time but Coldplay's recent output (2011 - now) is not good pop in my opinion. There's a reason why this last few albums have the lowest ratings not only in sites like Metacritic or Anydecentmusic, but also on Rate Your Music.

In general I like Katy Perry, especially songs from "Prism". My favorite being Unconditionally, gorgeous song.

I could see not liking AHFOD, but Mylo isn't even pop for the most part. Mylo should have high ratings and not low ones, I seriously can't even see the problem with the album at all.

As for GS, that isn't that poppy either, I mean it is but artistically not in a bad way, it's a really unique album as I've said before. It is kinda pop but it's so much more authentic than anything on the radio at least. (Back in that day there were actually some pretty decent song on the radio...)

• Like 2

The Basement? As in 'Basement' (the band)? They're not pop at ALL. They're actually the best thing on the label. Seriously, pick up 'Promise Everything'.

But overall I completely agree with what you are saying, Archi.

Im not saying they are pop. But after they joined that label, they re recorded some songs to make them sound poppier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone, this is the same discussion the whole fanbase has had before. It's nothing new. While I don't think it's completely terrible, it's definitely obvious imo that AHFOD is their worst album. Again, as we've already heard countless time before, people who don't completely appreciate the album aren't necessarily just doing so because it's a more mainstream pop direction (although some people do, and it's us fans who use sense that aren't just criticising it for the sake of doing so), it's just that it's not that good music, in the sense of pop or otherwise. I just feel that the album is kinda uninspired, generic and boring, with a few good tracks and moments; but overall, quite lacking, especially compared to previous albums by the band. I also want to point out something else - the band has always been prominently a pop band, but the instrumentation and style has changed over the years. Primarily it was more rock/soft-rock influenced and it's shifted over the years to more pop-rock, then they've started to use electronic instrumentation, and now here we are today with more-or-less of a combination of that. They've always been a pop band, but for better or worse, have changed the style and instrumentation.

• Like 2

Why is new pop bad? I can understand not liking Katy Perry and bubblegum artists like that but Coldplay are still making diverse pop like they always have. No song on AHFOD sounds like another on the record.

AHFOD: Pop rock edm anthem

Birds: Fast paced guitar-filled tune that grows to the very end

HFTW: The most bubblegum tbh, but at least it includes horns and a cool guitar riff at the end, not mentioning the queen of today's music.

Everglow: a freaking piano ballad with a guitar solo at the end. You can't complain about a Coldplay piano ballad. They've been making em for years lol.

AOAL: something new and groovy. Lyrics are kinda crap lol but it's a new thing that I'm glad they did.

Fun: Beautiful song that's forgotten a lot. Sure the lyrics aren't the best, but the circling guitar riff and acoustic drums make an excellent soundscape.

Kaleidoscope: Best interlude ever! Cool sounds and it has purpose!

Army of One: I think it's cool they made a song based on a vocal riff. Drums are the best on the album. All that's missing is a guitar solo I think. The riffs at the end are cool and all but I think Jonny could've easily made a masterful solo for this one. I won't even talk about XMTS because it's just bad.

Amazing Day: Easily one of the best Coldplay songs made. Beautiful strings, strong bass, catchy riff and beautiful lyrics

Color Spectrum: yeah, kinda useless.

Up&Up: The definition of a Coldplay song. Working hard and seeing the good in life and never giving up. Plus 2 solos in one song!

I think sometimes we use the past to compare to the present and forget how far this band has come. To call them sell outs is kinda dumb because everyone says that when their favorite band changes. People change. Fact of life. You don't have to like it, but don't let it blind you from the possible good sides of the change. The band has never made an album where the songs all sound the same. This album is just as diverse (though not as good) as Viva. This band has really grown since 1998 and it's a shame to call their success a sellout because they're doing what they want and it's working. People have said the same about other bands (Fall Out Boy, Green Day) when those bands are still topping charts. So you can complain about a change in sound and just forget about how your favorite band is having success, or you can party with them. Your choice

Because, as a whole, the Coldplay fanbase is very pretentious and despise pop music so much they make it sound like its literal poison. I agree with you. I will never understand why so many people here and as a whole are so hilariously angry at a genre of music that Coldplay has always been.

I always love when people cite 'real artists', like Frank Ocean for example, who released an incredible album last year - and cite him as what 'music should be'. Do they not realize Frank's music is more pop than anything else? Yet, you don't hear people complaining about that. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

Because, as a whole, the Coldplay fanbase is very pretentious and despise pop music so much they make it sound like its literal poison. I agree with you. I will never understand why so many people here and as a whole are so hilariously angry at a genre of music that Coldplay has always been.

I always love when people cite 'real artists', like Frank Ocean for example, who released an incredible album last year - and cite him as what 'music should be'. Do they not realize Frank's music is more pop than anything else? Yet, you don't hear people complaining about that. It's ridiculous.

*two* incredible albums last year

Endless is very slept on and it's just as good if not better than Blonde.

• Like 1

Speaking on the topic of that remixed version of the AHFOD album (can't remember who exactly made it but cheers to you because I downloaded it and I really enjoy listening to it.). I was thinking what if we could each make our own sort of "Coldplay albums" that reach across the eras and piece together a story that is unique to us. Complete with neat effects and add-ons. Let me clarify with an example

Album: Stages of Love

I. Anticipation

1. Yellow (added piano intro)

2. Green Eyes

3. Yes (without Chinese Sleep Chant)

II. "True" Love

4. What If

5. Magic

6. Army of One (string intro)

7. Reign of Love (extended with synth outro)

III. Fear

8. Always In My Head

9. True Love

10. Midnight (extended with added instrumentals)

IV. Loss

11. The Scientist (string intro)

12. Fun

13. Kaleidoscope (with full The Guest House poem)

V. Acceptance

14. Everglow

15. Fix You (AHFOD Tour version)

16. Up&Up With The Birds (Up&Up and Up With The Birds mashup with a sample of Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground)

I hope you guys get what I mean. If not, then oh well, guess it's a just something I think is cool. Which is cool lol.

• Like 2

Speaking on the topic of that remixed version of the AHFOD album (can't remember who exactly made it but cheers to you because I downloaded it and I really enjoy listening to it.). I was thinking what if we could each make our own sort of "Coldplay albums" that reach across the eras and piece together a story that is unique to us. Complete with neat effects and add-ons. Let me clarify with an example

I. Anticipation

2. Green Eyes

II. "True" Love

4. What If

5. Magic

III. Fear

8. Always In My Head

9. True Love

IV. Loss

12. Fun

V. Acceptance

14. Everglow

16. Up&Up With The Birds (Up&Up and Up With The Birds mashup with a sample of Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground)

I hope you guys get what I mean. If not, then oh well, guess it's a just something I think is cool. Which is cool lol.

yeah that is cool I agree. Maybe you should make a thread for it? I'll make one album as well :) (a thumbs up emoji needs to be added lol)

• Like 1

I wouldnt say 'as a whole'. I think its just a vocal minority actually, 'cause at this point, the ones who DO think like this are no longer Coldplay fans.

• Like 5

Everyone, this is the same discussion the whole fanbase has had before. It's nothing new. While I don't think it's completely terrible, it's definitely obvious imo that AHFOD is their worst album. Again, as we've already heard countless time before, people who don't completely appreciate the album aren't necessarily just doing so because it's a more mainstream pop direction (although some people do, and it's us fans who use sense that aren't just criticising it for the sake of doing so), it's just that it's not that good music, in the sense of pop or otherwise. I just feel that the album is kinda uninspired, generic and boring, with a few good tracks and moments; but overall, quite lacking, especially compared to previous albums by the band. I also want to point out something else - the band has always been prominently a pop band, but the instrumentation and style has changed over the years. Primarily it was more rock/soft-rock influenced and it's shifted over the years to more pop-rock, then they've started to use electronic instrumentation, and now here we are today with more-or-less of a combination of that. They've always been a pop band, but for better or worse, have changed the style and instrumentation.

That would be your opinion. I don't think this is their best album either, but some people think it's really good. And that's just that, we all have different tastes.

If by "pop band" you mean "popular band" you're entirely right. If you're talking about the genre in particular, I'd say maybe, but especially in their earlier years a more genuine form of pop. I think we all need to realize that not all pop music is bad. There is loads of great pop music out there especially made in the past, but I think the main thing Oldplayers think of when they think of pop is this awful electropop sound that's taken over the mainstream the last few years dominately with these repeating meaningless lyrics and recycled beats, melodies and chord progressions made as quickly as possible to get the most amount of money. Honestly, it is ultra easy to just think of a hit even you could make. Anyone can nowadays with presets and loops all made for you in the music programs, and you don't even need to really know how to sing anymore, AutoTune will fix that all up for you... These things promote no creativity but more of the same old things over and over again that most of us recognize as incredibly boring. However as I've mentioned there are very legitimate forms of pop music out there, probably the stand out today being Adele. So yeah.

• Like 1

I. Anticipation

2. Green Eyes

II. "True" Love

4. What If

5. Magic

III. Fear

8. Always In My Head

9. True Love

IV. Loss

12. Fun

V. Acceptance

14. Everglow

Do you have the Midnight one? I would like to listen to it.

• Like 1

That would be your opinion. I don't think this is their best album either, but some people think it's really good. And that's just that, we all have different tastes.

If by "pop band" you mean "popular band" you're entirely right. If you're talking about the genre in particular, I'd say maybe, but especially in their earlier years a more genuine form of pop. I think we all need to realize that not all pop music is bad. There is loads of great pop music out there especially made in the past, but I think the main thing Oldplayers think of when they think of pop is this awful electropop sound that's taken over the mainstream the last few years dominately with these repeating meaningless lyrics and recycled beats, melodies and chord progressions made as quickly as possible to get the most amount of money. Honestly, it is ultra easy to just think of a hit even you could make. Anyone can nowadays with presets and loops all made for you in the music programs, and you don't even need to really know how to sing anymore, AutoTune will fix that all up for you... These things promote no creativity but more of the same old things over and over again that most of us recognize as incredibly boring. However as I've mentioned there are very legitimate forms of pop music out there, probably the stand out today being Adele. So yeah.

Hmmm... well in regards to your first comment, that's exactly what I'm saying. The people, like me, who don't wholeheartedly appreciate AHFOD don't just dislike it because we "hate mainstream pop", it can still be pop music and we can still appreciate it, but AHFOD is just not very good anyway imo, whether you label it as mainstream pop or otherwise. People who really do like it are fine, I don't care. This doesn't really have anything do to with people's opinions, more just when people are calling those who don't like the album close-minded. Again, this is isn't a different argument to what the fanbase has been having ever since the album came out.

When you're saying that the band isn't exactly a pop band, I disagree. The band always have been and currently are a band that makes straightforward pop music, whether it be with rock or electronic influences, or different production styles. No doubt about it. Probably the best example of that not necessarily being true is about half of VLVODAAHF, and perhaps some of their earlier years, it was more soft-/pop-/art-rock. But even then, it was prominently pop music.

And again, I'm saying that not all pop music is bad. The majority of music out there, "mainstream popular" (as in on the charts) or otherwise (seriously - so many people think that just because a lot of artists are "indie" or relatively unknown that it can't be pop music) is pop music. The earlier years of the band are pop music. The difference between then and now is the style, the actual songs themselves, the production and the instrumentation. And I just find that the quality of that stuff now isn't as good. That's it.

• Like 2

Hmmm... well in regards to your first comment, that's exactly what I'm saying. The people, like me, who don't wholeheartedly appreciate AHFOD don't just dislike it because we "hate mainstream pop", it can still be pop music and we can still appreciate it, but AHFOD is just not very good anyway imo, whether you label it as mainstream pop or otherwise. People who really do like it are fine, I don't care. This doesn't really have anything do to with people's opinions, more just when people are calling those who don't like the album close-minded. Again, this is isn't a different argument to what the fanbase has been having ever since the album came out.

When you're saying that the band isn't exactly a pop band, I disagree. The band always have been and currently are a band that makes straightforward pop music, whether it be with rock or electronic influences, or different production styles. No doubt about it. Probably the best example of that not necessarily being true is about half of VLVODAAHF, and perhaps some of their earlier years, it was more soft-/pop-/art-rock. But even then, it was prominently pop music.

And again, I'm saying that not all pop music is bad. The majority of music out there, "mainstream popular" (as in on the charts) or otherwise (seriously - so many people think that just because a lot of artists are "indie" or relatively unknown that it can't be pop music) is pop music. The earlier years of the band are pop music. The difference between then and now is the style, the actual songs themselves, the production and the instrumentation. And I just find that the quality of that stuff now isn't as good. That's it.

I'd be interested to hear your definition of pop music and where you draw the line between it and rock music, or if you include rock in the broad category of "pop music". Because it seems my definition could be a bit narrower than yours.

I'd be interested to hear your definition of pop music and where you draw the line between it and rock music, or if you include rock in the broad category of "pop music". Because it seems my definition could be a bit narrower than yours.

Well, which songs/albums of the band's do you consider not to be pop music?