✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A L I E N S

AMDB9

I'm pretty sure that the clips in the documentary are from the MX recording sessions as Eno was still working with the band at the time.

I'd rather see it as a leftover from MX but maybe the song was not finished before AHFOD? We'll never know :D

it's possible, but the South Bank Show episode came out in 2009, two full years before MX was released and we all know how long it took them to get to the final version of that, the acoustic album that was partly tossed, etc :P it's kinda that weird in between of the two eras that happens since recording and release/touring happen so far apart

but either era makes sense for both Eno & Dravs

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fsk3sQyZt8

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/1Fsk3sQyZt8

43:40

Omg that's the first thing i thought when listening to A L I E N S. Especially during the 3:20-3:40 part.

Just amazing.

Wow so this song is a left over from the viva era... No wonder it's so good... Also saddens me that Viva was the height of Coldplay's prowess and mastery of music..

• Like 1

Every time I listen to this I love it more. The vocals hit me right away, I love the vocal melody and lyrics. Very emotional and (I'm not sure why) but relatable to me. I guess in terms of feeling like you don't belong and can't get home. And it's obviously even sadder when you think about it applying to refugees. Very powerful song that makes me a feel a lot of things. Instrumentally it took me a couple listens ... felt a bit all over the place and doesn't have a really interesting lick, plus no really distinct piano. But on every listen I like the instrumentals more; they're actually really intricate and beautiful. I mean damn it's brilliant, I notice something else I love every time I listen to it. And the strings at the end really drive it home. This is probably going to make me sound like an idiot who doesn't know anything about music (which I am), but for some reason the time signature and percussion reminds me a little of The National. Anyhow whatever it is, it feels really outside the box ... not just outside of Coldplay's box but outside of the box in general. But it's still very Coldplay in some ways ... the vocals feel like old haunting Coldplay to me which I miss a lot. Even if it is actually just a vestige of a former era, the fact they decided to resurrect it now and give it to us as the last song of this era makes me feel good.

• Like 3

Wow so this song is a left over from the viva era... No wonder it's so good... Also saddens me that Viva was the height of Coldplay's prowess and mastery of music..

Totally disagree. I've always been so dumbfounded by Coldplay fan's love of 1- that song VLV, and 2- that album VLV. Do I like jamming to the live version of Lost? Uh, yeah.

Do I like Strawberry Swing? Sure.

But nothing on that album touches pre-X&Y Coldplay.. except maybe a spark in Ghost Stories.. it was a sliver, but it was there. And this album.. is finally, I think, Coldplay and Eno really melding into a vision of this band they've wanted for years.. since they've worked together. This is why Chris said before the release of AICTAIY, this is maybe his favorite group of Coldplay songs.. ever.

Me too. Definitely since 2002.

Every time I listen to this I love it more. The vocals hit me right away, I love the vocal melody and lyrics. Very emotional and (I'm not sure why) but relatable to me. I guess in terms of feeling like you don't belong and can't get home..

I mean.. if you go back to the 2nd page of this thread, I think. I comment how I believe this song was going to be about this very thing. And how it was just a cheeky joke to use the A L I E N S spacing.

(Which I also love)

• Like 1

Wow... best song Coldplay has released since VLV. It's so unusual, it's so experimental, it's so weirdly Coldplay in a very, very, good way. What was the last song they put out in 5/4 time? :p Seriously though... this is better than Midnight, AYF, Ghost Story, Hurts Like Heaven, Up With the Birds, and even All I Can Think About is You. If only Kaleidoscope was a full album :heart_eyes:

Wow... best song Coldplay has released since VLV. It's so unusual, it's so experimental, it's so weirdly Coldplay in a very, very, good way. What was the last song they put out in 5/4 time? :p Seriously though... this is better than Midnight, AYF, Ghost Story, Hurts Like Heaven, Up With the Birds, and even All I Can Think About is You. If only Kaleidoscope was a full album :heart_eyes:

I think the only other song in 5/4 is Kaleidoscope. Besides that theres just a few other CP songs in 6/8 or 7/8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is Coldplay! It's different then anything they have released in a long time! Dare I say all the way back to the Viva era? You can hear Eno's influence all over this song. Honestly, I wish they would go back to working with Eno fully, for their next LP at least. He pushes the band musically in ways that no one can, not even themselves. As I said before, I loved that Will was using different time signatures during the Viva era. This being an Eno produced song, seems to have that effect. I like it.

This is the direction I would love to see them go in next. Or at least explore more different types of sounds. I truly feel like they have done their pop thing, and they've done it good. But now it may be time for them to go down a different road, one of exploration. Great track!

• Like 4

Ok.. since VLV ..hasn't Eno worked with them for every album (other than AHFOD)?

I imagine some of the blowback from reviewers/fans of AHFOD has scared Coldplay back into Eno's arms.

Luckily for all our sakes.

• Like 1

A couple things:

What could R3 FU G33 mean on the spaceship?

If this has been around since Viva, is that why the alien colors match those of the Grammy Award outfits?

Maybe Coldplay "just want to get home" to their old style.

• Like 3

It's so weird to see a song that seems to be unanimously liked by everyone on the forums (at least so far) :p

Iunno, I'm still trying to form an opinion on it. I don't think I'm smart enough to enjoy it quite as much as others do. But hey, don't let that make anyone enjoy it any less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fsk3sQyZt8

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/1Fsk3sQyZt8

43:40

Omg that's the first thing i thought when listening to A L I E N S. Especially during the 3:20-3:40 part.

Just amazing.

Oh. My. God. Thats it!! I have been hoping that they would use that for a future song. I didn't notice it until you guys pointed it out, but that 100% is it. I have listened to that little snippet so many times and I am so happy that it is actually part of a song now. Thanks for pointing this out! This made the song even better! :D

• Like 3

I made a quick comparison if people want to hear it together without having to get both videos going. I did my best to overdub both. Note this is NOT the full song, just a quick clip.

[MEDIA=googledrive]0B_PT2dt0uqfhZTc1Ukp6MDg1WHM[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_PT2dt0uqfhZTc1Ukp6MDg1WHM/view?usp=sharing

It gives me shivers just hearing it. So pumped we finally have this!

• Like 4

It's a great great song. A 180° turn from AHFOD on this EP. It can't be related to it!!! This is a whole new era for the band. I think that Eno didn't even have to get to the studio again with the boys as the vocals and main melody of the song are unchanged from the VLV snippet. So, I am not so convinced that this is going to mark the comeback of Eno. I assume that the song was ready and waiting for 8 years and it was about to get on VLV and then on MX(Alien Radio) but didn't make it. They may changed the lyrics a bit to be more relevant to the refugee crisis, in which I'm glad that Coldplay pay attention to.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Coldplaying mobile app

This song is so good they need to work again with Eno probably for the rest of their career.

Seriously, I just love how he encouraged experimentation.. they don't seem to do enough of it by themselves.

This is why Chris said before the release of AICTAIY, this is maybe his favorite group of Coldplay songs.. ever.

Wait wasn't that Phil? I can't find the tweet or whatever it was which originally said that.

Ok.. since VLV ..hasn't Eno worked with them for every album (other than AHFOD)?

No, he began collabing with them after the struggles of X&Y for work on VLVODAAHF and continued to work on MX with them. Aren't there rumours that apparently there was some sort of falling out or difference in direction between the band and Eno? Or is that just some made up crap?

I don't recall anything about Eno working on Ghost Stories. It also seems really unlikely that Coldplay brought back Markus and Eno just for this song, especially when the rest of the EP is produced by Rik, Daniel and Bill. I'll bet you anything it's just an MX leftover they polished up for this release.

• Like 1