✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A L I E N S

AMDB9

Okay so new question:

Back at the beginning of March, a video of a soundcheck surfaced that had audio from a song that we assumed would be on the EP. It really sounded like something from the Viva era--a mixture of Strawberry Swing and Cemeteries of London. At the time I think we all thought it could be A L I E N S, but the two songs are clearly different. Sooo . . . has this mystery song fallen by the wayside? Did it get cannibalized and remixed into A L I E N S? Is it going to be a hidden track? Will yet another beautiful song be left to languish forever as a snippet of half-recorded live audio?

Here's the video in question, from page 43 of the Kaleidoscope EP thread:

I had forgotten about this, but this also sounds like they could just be jamming. May not even be anything. Sounds awesome though!

• Like 1

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so new question:

Back at the beginning of March, a video of a soundcheck surfaced that had audio from a song that we assumed would be on the EP. It really sounded like something from the Viva era--a mixture of Strawberry Swing and Cemeteries of London. At the time I think we all thought it could be A L I E N S, but the two songs are clearly different. Sooo . . . has this mystery song fallen by the wayside? Did it get cannibalized and remixed into A L I E N S? Is it going to be a hidden track? Will yet another beautiful song be left to languish forever as a snippet of half-recorded live audio?

Yeah, I was also a bit sad that this didn't turn out to be ALIENS in the end (even though it is a good song), cause I really really loved that guitar riff.

• Like 2

I had forgotten about this, but this also sounds like they could just be jamming. May not even be anything. Sounds awesome though!

I think it sounds to good for just a jam session, to be honest :D

I hope it'll be a hidden track or so !

It's official, everyone. Coldplay has redeemed themselves creatively. And yes B sides from the past two eras have been fantastic in terms of that, but it seems that this time they're really showing off a new direction. This song is unlike anything they've done before overall. It does remind me distantly of parts of Only Superstition, and overall seems like a cross between Viva and MX like Moving to Mars. I have just listened to it a few times so I am still attempting to grasp the sound (and it doesn't help that I was listening and reading this thread at the same time) and I still don't fully understand it yet, but that's what makes songs like this so good, you'll find things in there 6 months later that you never discovered before, and you'll enjoy it much longer than a normal pop song.

This is Trending at #22 on YT right now. Please, please let this blow up and save pop music. It's already got over a million views!

[spoiler=A lot of replies]

Beautiful lyrics:

Watching my life on the skyline

Crossing your eyes for a lifetime.

Song proper:

The song is weird in some ways. Maybe because the beat is quite unique compare to other Coldplay songs. More like 15 Step if you ask me. I like the song. Need to listen to it more.

You know Coldplay's gotten real good in the past bit when they start getting compared to Radiohead again. :D

I don't recall anything about Eno working on Ghost Stories. It also seems really unlikely that Coldplay brought back Markus and Eno just for this song, especially when the rest of the EP is produced by Rik, Daniel and Bill. I'll bet you anything it's just an MX leftover they polished up for this release.

I'm not sure Eno worked on Ghost Stories but I know it had something to do with Jon Hopkins (much less talked about on these forums but still incredibly talented). Coldplay needs to work with him and Eno again, because so different songs like this will come from it. I never ever seen this coming...

reminds me hugely of Morning Bell.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS. Like Eno took Coldplay to an isolated place and refreshed their minds (and still keeping a bit of MX/GS). Easily the most 'different' song so far this era. Please guys, more of this.

Now that you mention it, I can hear the similarities.

And I agree that this is the most different song from this era. I thought AICTAIY was outstanding... (and it still is, but this new song is just wayyyyyyyy out there....)

yes, it's exactly like that:

[MEDIA=twitter]883226637961244672[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/ColdplayAtlas/status/883226637961244672

It's too sad that at least a part of this song is only a leftover from their better years, but at least we get to hear full versions of these teased songs for once!

Maybe it's just a part of it that was left over, that they built on recently and is now developed...

A Coldplay-Eno reunion would be a great idea although we don't know what the band's plans are at this point. Seems like they will take on a much deserved hiatus after the AHFOD tour. This EP is a solid one. The new songs are all different..with influences from different eras. Bring back Dravs, Eno and Hopkins :viva: :mylo:

Yeah, I'd be all up for a hiatus, they've given us a possible taste of what they'll come up with after that. It'll give them time to think about their new direction. I think the best thing'd be for them to keep their pop side but incorporate diverse influences, and make it really unique and creative, like they did in Viva or even MX. The mainstream pop world needs some creativity for once, and I hope Coldplay will be able to open everyone up to some original ideas for the first time in a long time.

For that lyric, I interpreted it as saying that all these really trivial matters (like what the Kardashians are doing, what some dumb politician said without thinking, Justin Bieber getting a girlfriend, etc. etc.) are the ones that are being reported on. Meanwhile, events that really matter like the refugee crisis are sort of glossed over and forgotten. So, all the bright and shiny "pop culture" diamonds are reported on endlessly, cannibalizing the airspace and leaving no room for anything else.

*shrugs* Maybe you guys interpret it differently, but I quite like it as a lyric!

It seems like that, in a way like you described maybe Chris is regaining some of his lyrical abilities. Some of it still doesn't make sense but it's kind of meant to be like that, "alienating".

Okay so new question:

Hmm... yeah I thought this'd be A L I E N S but as we've heard it isn't. I so want to hear more of this though, and who knows. It could have been something they considered for the EP but never released.

As has happened before though, they might put this on a future album of theirs sometime down the road (and that's what happened with this one, or at least a part of it, from Viva/MX era.)

Note: It blows me away how they make songs like this and AICTAIY yet are still interested in collaborating with artists like The Chainsmokers and Big Sean...

EDIT: This kinda reminds me of Reckoner in a way...

• Like 2

I'm reading some french press articles about the song.

I'm sad to see a lot of readers comments calling for a boycott of Coldplay because they dared to write a song for the refugees and give the proceeds to MOAS.

Many ask why don't they host migrants in their "comfy houses".

These stupid comments don't surprise me though [emoji53][emoji53]

• Like 3

I'm reading some french press articles about the song.

I'm sad to see a lot of readers comments calling for a boycott of Coldplay because they dared to write a song for the refugees and give the proceeds to MOAS.

Many ask why don't they host migrants in their "comfy houses".

These stupid comments don't surprise me though [emoji53][emoji53]

I mean, what do you expect, it's the internet. :/

I'm really glad Coldplay is talking about these kinds of things and no just ignoring it. It definitely makes me want to help in any way possible, and not only refugees, but everyone.

• Like 3

33 listens so far. The Eno/Simpson vocals are just insanely catchy. I said it before but "Moving target, target movement" and a couple other lines feel like apparatjik so much.

Only 33? I'm about four thousand... ;)

Seriously, I already love this song so much. Eno and Simpson vocals suit the song perfectly. The instrumental is amazing. I'm so happy...

• Like 2

Wow! It's been years since the last time I came to this website. I just came to say that IMO "Aliens" is the best Coldplay song since Mylo Xyloto and the most interesting one since "Midnight". On my first listen, I thought the song was odd even though I tend to listen to even more "odd" music like Caribou, Four Tet, or Bjork. The first thing that I noticed was that it sounded like a Radiohead song. The beat reminded me of "15 step" and the way Chris sang his lines reminded me of "Myxomatosis". Since there are few Coldplay songs with this kind of beat or approach in general, I guess I was too judgy or pessimistic about the whole outcome on my first listen. I knew what kind of music I was listening to, so I gave it a few more listens, and yeahh...I really liked it...like really really liked it.

• Like 2

It's not a matter of opinion

"Coldplay will donate all proceeds from “A L I E N S” to Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS), an international NGO which rescues migrants and refugees in peril at sea in the Mediterranean."

Unless your opinion is to not save people in peril at sea. I think nearly every charity they've associated with has been picked with precaution not to alienate (haha I said it) fans.

It sort of makes me sad that people want to make it expressly political, because humanity does not have to be political. Not saying it isn't political at all, but humanity can and should also stand on its own. Maybe a stupid analogy, but you don't have to be a vegan or animal rights activist to help a baby bird that's fallen out of it's nest. Everybody out there is shouting at each other these days, and I mean on both sides, I feel like simple humanity is getting lost in the clamor. I think it's great that Coldplay have chosen to send a message that highlights basic empathy, humanity and love and I hope most people can listen/watch and think about other human beings rather than think about whether it fits their political "side".

• Like 5

Hovering in hope (ok so far) some scope (seemingly random addition)

This line is just parsed oddly but to me makes sense. "Hovering in hope some scope tonight sees the light and says 'fly if you want to'" etc. I.e., they're waiting hoping that that night a lookout sees some sign they can move on safely.

The "moving target" passage does get a little confusing, but to me speaks to how every move is just a temporary respite.

I do agree it's pretty abstract, all of it, and I really like that.

Been listening to the wheels off this song since it dropped, just love it. It feels like a sequel to Moving To Mars in terms of the lyrical content, which is kind of cool after six years.

• Like 1

After listening to A L I E N S like about a hundred times, I must say I put it up there with All I can think about is you in terms of overall satisfaction I got from just listening to it. Although they are completely different and vary in musical approach, both are undeniably great and will make this EP one to remember fondly for sure. At first I had no idea what to expect from A L I E N S but had this vague feeling it would not disappoint. However, I would have never thought it would sound the way it does and that is what makes me love Coldplay, because it doesn't matter if their songs doesn't sound a certain way; at the end of it all, they always have that Coldplay feel we are all so moved by. I know this song may have been inspired by earlier years, but they have released it now because it was meant to be now. Nevertheless, it doesn't mean they will take this musical approach for their future projects, as it has become clear they still like meddling with pop songs (Miracles with BS, which is pretty good to be fair), but it certainly proves they still know how to please their real longtime fans. Anyways... so happy they dropped Aliens haha

• Like 3

So you already know how harshly critical and removed I've been toward the band these past few years, Ghost Story and Major Minus being the only two tracks that I go back to since VLV.

But this song along with All I Can Think About Is You could potentially save their career, and I'm not dramatizing. I'll save the in-depth review once the EP is out but lets just say the song is perfect in every sense and a proper return to form. The instrumentation and production in particular are a huge leap forward. Brian Eno comes to the rescue once again.

Oldplayers have certainly taken notice!

Edit: The song has also provided a great new platform to filter the nastier Coldplay fans, the last time being that whole Palestine issue years ago.

• Like 6

It feels like a sequel to Moving To Mars in terms of the lyrical content, which is kind of cool after six years.

Damn, it's been six years since MX. That's a weird feeling. I remember sitting on the stairs ignoring my mom's call to dinner as I listened to it the first time through :laughing:

I'm trying to restrain myself on listening to this so I don't burn out of it before the EP drops . . . it's been very difficult. The only good news is that now I'm not listening to AICTAIY on repeat anymore lol

• Like 3

Damn, it's been six years since MX. That's a weird feeling. I remember sitting on the stairs ignoring my mom's call to dinner as I listened to it the first time through :laughing:

I'm trying to restrain myself on listening to this so I don't burn out of it before the EP drops . . . it's been very difficult. The only good news is that now I'm not listening to AICTAIY on repeat anymore lol

Yeah it freaks me out a little; I still think of MX as a new album. Mentally I tend to lump everything this decade together a little though.

And haha, my neighbors are going to be relieved that there's something else in the mix now, because when I'm working on the car I can't change albums a lot ... so I put on Kaleidoscope and it's literally just AICTAIY on a loop blasting out of my garage.

Hahaha this forum has changed! The last time I was an active user on this website (2013), Brian Eno was the Devil and the one responsible for Coldplay's decline.

I'm just going to set the record straight here:

Brian Eno departed during the Mylo Xyloto recording sessions.

The credits only stated that he provided the enoxification of some songs. He hasn't been involved with the band until recently. He made the app for Hypnotized and I'm betting you that the lads impressed Brian with what they've done to this snippet from the interview from all those years ago.

I don't know what everyone was on about when they were blaming Eno back then because he certainly wasn't around for development of the rest of the songs.

Unfortunately as some users here pointed out, this is probably a left over from the Viva and Mylo (pre-Eno departing) sessions that has been polished. That's why it still has that odd Viva/Mylo feel.

• Like 3

I'm just happy I can hear the Viva era tack piano being put to use.You can practically hear it throughout the whole song. Definitely a sound I wish they'd use more, but it's probably for the best they don't so I don't ever get tired of it. :) Can't wait for the instrumental version of this one.

• Like 5

I'm just in love with this song! I was thinking nobody will love this song and that's the reason i didn't come to this thread since the song released. But today i just shocked because everyone love the song. Has a very deeply meaning and emotional song. Looking forward Coldplay to release songs like that.

Sent from my SM-A500H using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 4

Alright so i honestly didn't have much hope for the Kaleidoscope EP after listening to both Hypnotised & All I Can Think About Is You.

But this right here has changed my mind

It felt weird to listen to it for the first time, but it felt like its something related to Viva (This song also reminds me alot of X&Y B-Sides) then it turns out to be made during that era (Almost freaking 10 years!!)

Without a doubt, this become one of my fav coldplay songs.

This atmosphere & chilling voice of Martin is what i was reeeeeeeeeeeally missing all this time :relieved:

I don't know what everyone was on about when they were blaming Eno back then because he certainly wasn't around for development of the rest of the songs.

I don't think it had to do with the development or songwriting of the songs. I remember many fans were mad because he deviated the band from their rustic approach in production. I can't say everybody was against him, but A LOT of fans weren't happy with his involvement. Now, the idea that Eno's involvement with the band has been positive seems like a consensus among the fans.

• Like 1

I don't think it had to do with the development or songwriting of the songs. I remember many fans were mad because he deviated the band from their rustic approach in production. I can't say everybody was against him, but A LOT of fans weren't happy with his involvement. Now, the idea that Eno's involvement with the band has been positive seems like a consensus among the fans.

yeah, i think the argument could be made that the perspective Eno brought of the band being free to make whatever kind of music they want and not care about genres maybe in some ways influenced them to turn to, as people say, more "pop" songs and collaborations with people they probably would not have felt comfortable collaborating with before

so it's not Eno having a direct effect on the music like, say, Stargate did. more of just a ripple effect

• Like 1