✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A L I E N S

AMDB9

It's a great great song. A 180° turn from AHFOD on this EP. It can't be related to it!!! This is a whole new era for the band. I think that Eno didn't even have to get to the studio again with the boys as the vocals and main melody of the song are unchanged from the VLV snippet. So, I am not so convinced that this is going to mark the comeback of Eno. I assume that the song was ready and waiting for 8 years and it was about to get on VLV and then on MX(Alien Radio) but didn't make it. They may changed the lyrics a bit to be more relevant to the refugee crisis, in which I'm glad that Coldplay pay attention to.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Coldplaying mobile app

It's possible they changed the lyrics for this release. But I'm wondering if the renewed relevance of the lyrics is why they resurrected it for the EP in the first place.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure if I like the song, I really want to though cause everyone is raving about it. It's just too weird of a song to me I think. The lyrics barely flow and are just weird, almost random. The overall sound, well it's certainly different, but again more so weird than good in my opinion. Often I try to imagine songs being performed live, but I can't for the life of me do that with A L I E N S. I hope you don't all hate me for this

Sent from my A0001 using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 1

Beautiful lyrics:

Watching my life on the skyline

Crossing your eyes for a lifetime.

Song proper:

The song is weird in some ways. Maybe because the beat is quite unique compare to other Coldplay songs. More like 15 Step if you ask me. I like the song. Need to listen to it more.

reminds me hugely of Morning Bell.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS. Like Eno took Coldplay to an isolated place and refreshed their minds (and still keeping a bit of MX/GS). Easily the most 'different' song so far this era. Please guys, more of this.

• Like 3

I'm not so sure if I like the song, I really want to though cause everyone is raving about it. It's just too weird of a song to me I think. The lyrics barely flow and are just weird, almost random. The overall sound, well it's certainly different, but again more so weird than good in my opinion. Often I try to imagine songs being performed live, but I can't for the life of me do that with A L I E N S. I hope you don't all hate me for this

Yeah that's a weird time signature for ya! It cant always be the typical 4/4 setting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recall anything about Eno working on Ghost Stories. It also seems really unlikely that Coldplay brought back Markus and Eno just for this song, especially when the rest of the EP is produced by Rik, Daniel and Bill. I'll bet you anything it's just an MX leftover they polished up for this release.

yes, it's exactly like that:

[MEDIA=twitter]883226637961244672[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/ColdplayAtlas/status/883226637961244672

• Like 2

I posted a little about this song earlier but I've been listening to it on repeat and this song is heaven. This has jumped to being one of my absolute favorite songs period. Not just from Coldplay, I'm talking period. It's beautiful, emotional and while lyrically thinking worldly, it is also relatable personally too. This is quite a stunning release, this EP. I can't quite make out the Miracles (Someone Special) lyrics and song through the live version, I shall wait until the studio version is released to discuss it, but this is, in my humble opinion, Coldplay's best EP. Yes, Prospekt's March brought us a few favorites, including the song with the same name (which remains on my top list of songs), but this release with Hypnotized, AICTAIY, and this song, is one of their best of all time.

• Like 4

Yeah that's a weird time signature for ya! It cant always be the typical 4/4 setting...

I dont think its so much the time signature as it is the weird lyrics.

Just some of them:

Diamonds ate the radio ??

Hovering in hope (ok so far) some scope (seemingly random addition)

Entire last verse is odd:

Moving target

Target movement

A patch, a corner

Of the spacetime

followed by

Turning toward it

Turning pages

Over Asia

Crossing ages

So unless I'm missing something crucial, many of these lines just make no sense. I can totally see a lot of the song being more abstract but some bits go too far.

• Like 1

reminds me hugely of Morning Bell.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS. Like Eno took Coldplay to an isolated place and refreshed their minds (and still keeping a bit of MX/GS). Easily the most 'different' song so far this era. Please guys, more of this.

A Coldplay-Eno reunion would be a great idea although we don't know what the band's plans are at this point. Seems like they will take on a much deserved hiatus after the AHFOD tour. This EP is a solid one. The new songs are all different..with influences from different eras. Bring back Dravs, Eno and Hopkins :viva: :mylo:

• Like 1

oh my fucking god I love this song. I can't even find an accurate adjective to describe it. Finally another Coldplay song that isn't predictable! I love songs like Hymn For The Weekend but I'm so so happy they released something more experimental. That weird sound at 0:23, the backing vocals, the strings, the drums!! They kinda remind me of The National too @dieselbenz, and that's a very very good thing. The lyrics are a little vague but I like that, I love me some mystery. Cool that this song is luring alienated (hihi haha) fans back, too!

But most of all, welcome back, political Coldplay. I fucking missed you. Such an important message. Like many of you probably I live in a country where certain leading political parties and their supporters are often rather hostile towards refugees and it bothers me a lot. I'm not completely sure why, I could just not care so much and not get upset over it but I do. And it feels so ... I dunno, right when a band that means so much to you cares too.

• Like 17

Listen to Animal Collective and watch some of their live performances.

• Like 1

i'm happy you can ignore the whole aspect of that song going about this subject when you just listen to it of the EP seperately without the video. It's fantastic to be charitable with the proceeds but i think it's negative to let the music get influenced by it. Again it's Coldplay so they don't care to much of what is the most "popular" option. But it kinda bugs me Coldplay took this step.

It's not a matter of opinion

"Coldplay will donate all proceeds from “A L I E N S” to Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS), an international NGO which rescues migrants and refugees in peril at sea in the Mediterranean."

Unless your opinion is to not save people in peril at sea. I think nearly every charity they've associated with has been picked with precaution not to alienate (haha I said it) fans.

• Like 4

Diamonds ate the radio

So unless I'm missing something crucial, many of these lines just make no sense. I can totally see a lot of the song being more abstract but some bits go too far.

For that lyric, I interpreted it as saying that all these really trivial matters (like what the Kardashians are doing, what some dumb politician said without thinking, Justin Bieber getting a girlfriend, etc. etc.) are the ones that are being reported on. Meanwhile, events that really matter like the refugee crisis are sort of glossed over and forgotten. So, all the bright and shiny "pop culture" diamonds are reported on endlessly, cannibalizing the airspace and leaving no room for anything else.

*shrugs* Maybe you guys interpret it differently, but I quite like it as a lyric!

• Like 15

For that lyric, I interpreted it as saying that all these really trivial matters (like what the Kardashians are doing, what some dumb politician said without thinking, Justin Bieber getting a girlfriend, etc. etc.) are the ones that are being reported on. Meanwhile, events that really matter like the refugee crisis are sort of glossed over and forgotten. So, all the bright and shiny "pop culture" diamonds are reported on endlessly, cannibalizing the airspace and leaving no room for anything else.

*shrugs* Maybe you guys interpret it differently, but I quite like it as a lyric!

That's actually a really good interpretation. I was a bit confused at that lyric, but that makes total sense.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Coldplaying mobile app

i'm happy you can ignore the whole aspect of that song going about this subject when you just listen to it of the EP seperately without the video. It's fantastic to be charitable with the proceeds but i think it's negative to let the music get influenced by it. Again it's Coldplay so they don't care to much of what is the most "popular" option. But it kinda bugs me Coldplay took this step.

just out of interest, why do you think that's negative?

• Like 1

Lyrics are wonky, as always, but the topic is good. The rhythm strongly reminds of 15 Steps by Radiohead. I appreciate the length of the track, and the use of interesting instruments and sound bits. I really love the guitar riffs.

I think Chris could have worded the whole thing a little bit nicer, but ultimately I somewhat accept Chris' lack of lyrical talent.

The chorus at the end reminds me so much of Apparatjik. In combination with the strings this song ends way stronger than it started.

• Like 2

Okay so new question:

Back at the beginning of March, a video of a soundcheck surfaced that had audio from a song that we assumed would be on the EP. It really sounded like something from the Viva era--a mixture of Strawberry Swing and Cemeteries of London. At the time I think we all thought it could be A L I E N S, but the two songs are clearly different. Sooo . . . has this mystery song fallen by the wayside? Did it get cannibalized and remixed into A L I E N S? Is it going to be a hidden track? Will yet another beautiful song be left to languish forever as a snippet of half-recorded live audio?

Here's the video in question, from page 43 of the Kaleidoscope EP thread:

Theres another video of the band playing another song. I'm wondering if this song will probably be on the new EP... it could either be 'All I Can Think About Is You', 'Miracles 2', or 'A L I E N S'...

[MEDIA=twitter]767161418214961152[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/767161418214961152

• Like 4