✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Los Unidades

jainharshul96

Well, I've just heard the EP, and I do have a couple of thoughts/opinions:

- E-Lo, no matter how much I listen to it...I just can't get into it. this song would work better as a Pharrell-only track. like, if he brought N.E.R.D. on here or something, I could probably vibe with it better.

- Voodoo is kinda cool. Jonny still doing a good jobs with his licks. Loving Guy's bass, too. Hell, everyone else on this track sound like they belong on it...except Chris. Holy shit, Chris, to me anyways, DOESN'T fit here in the slightest. Stargate and Guetta fucking things up as per usual, too (production-wise).

- Timbuktu is probably the best of the tracks. Chris fits here the best out of the four. I'm not a grime person whatsoever, but Stormzy's flow works very well on this one. I quite like this one.

- Rise Up is kinda house-y. It's cool. Very world music. Fits well with the theme of the EP.

Overall, I think this is a perfectly fine EP as a side-project for Coldplay. Chris though...don't get me wrong, I love the man, he's the heart and soul of the band we know and love. But here...he sounds very out-of-place. I mean, it's nice to see that he's having fun experimenting in this genre of music, and that he's doing it for a good cause, but as someone who adores songs like Atlas and Clocks, yeah, I hope he doesn't stick with this sound for the next album. If he wants to, and the others want to, then cool. But I'm out if they do. It's just not my scene, and this sort of pop production pisses me off. I mean, soundcloud rap is more intrestingly produced than some of the tracks on here. It's too clean. It feels too manufactured.

• Like 4

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It IS only a side project. Rise Up isnt even Coldplay...

Having said that Timbuktu is one of the best songs I have heard in a while, Stormzy's verse is amazing and I love the production and chorus. Coldplay really are geniuses, and they have embraced other geniuses this time, a really cool experiment for the boys, they probably learnt a lot and just had some fun.

• Like 2

Everyone seems to be vibing Rise Up which is cool because it’s probably me next favourite from this EP after E-Lo.

While most of you like Timbuktu, I feel this is the song Chris is most out of place. His voice comes in like iron-sand compared to the other vocalists. Still a pretty good song though.

Some of you are divided over Voodoo, and I’m not too sure either. Some aspects good, others meh (I like David Guetta but he did kind of overshadow Jonny Buckland in the chorus). I think the song still needs to grow on me.

• Like 1

...Wow.

The thing is, you don't get to decide which songs are good and which aren't. I understand you can't possibly imagine this is a song some Coldplay fans genuinely like, but it is true though. They're not necessarily convincing themselves that it's a good song, maybe they just like more than one genre?

What you're calling a "pop nightmare" that is "tarnishing the Coldplay brand", is (part of) the sound of Coldplay in 2018. Yeah the newer generation probably associates that sound with Coldplay now, because that's how they sound these days. Also, what is that Coldplay brand? They've always tried out different directions, different themes etc. i agreee though, the name change probably isn't going to have much of an effect on how people look at it. Maybe it's just time to accept that the band have changed, and that it's indeed the band that have changed, not just Chris. I mean come on, if Jonny, Will and Guy really couldn't live with this sound, the songs would have either never seen the light of day or the band would have broken up.

Lastly, your third paragraph is the most Oldplayer thing I've ever read. Always interesting to see when people can apparently pinpoint what real music is and who's a true artist and who isn't. Is Pharrell a true artist who makes real music according to you?

Btw I don't like the song either

We all have opinions. Ours just differ. Nothing wrong with that.

Call me old fashioned, but I will never understand giant arenas selling out to go watch a person touch buttons on his keyboard on stage. I just don't get it and never will. But there are obviously millions of people who love that, which is perfectly fine! Whatever floats your boat.

Disclaimer: Of course I understand this isn't what the boys are doing, but I can assure you, los unidades isn't far from it.

Ill just say this. There is something about hearing those computer generated synths and beats and effects, that just scream "Hey, this is artificial, manufactured tunes for the masses". If that makes me an old "get off my lawn" type guy, then so be it. If I never get that authentic, intimate sound that was created from 4 guys playing real, physical instruments then I am thankful for the albums they left me before they transitioned into this phase.

• Like 4

Well, someone's gotta say it, right ? So I'll be that someone :cool:

*braces for backlash*

Voodoo and Timbuktu are the absolutely worst songs with a Coldplay participation that I've ever heard.

I can't think off the top of my head of any more disappointing Coldplay songs / projects than this EP, although I think that E-Lo is worse than both Timbuktu and Voodoo. It has to be bad when you'd rather listen to Princess of China or SJLT... or the Nappies :p

We all have opinions. Ours just differ. Nothing wrong with that.

Call me old fashioned, but I will never understand giant arenas selling out to go watch a person touch buttons on his keyboard on stage. I just don't get it and never will. But there are obviously millions of people who love that, which is perfectly fine! Whatever floats your boat.

Disclaimer: Of course I understand this isn't what the boys are doing, but I can assure you, los unidades isn't far from it.

Ill just say this. There is something about hearing those computer generated synths and beats and effects, that just scream "Hey, this is artificial, manufactured tunes for the masses". If that makes me an old "get off my lawn" type guy, then so be it. If I never get that authentic, intimate sound that was created from 4 guys playing real, physical instruments then I am thankful for the albums they left me before they transitioned into this phase.

I agree. I sometimes wonder what the point in them playing ASFOS and SJLT live is when half the song is from a backing track. I actually really like ASFOS, but it seems weird for them to play it live when very little of it is actually "live".

• Like 2

I agree. I sometimes wonder what the point in them playing ASFOS and SJLT live is when half the song is from a backing track. I actually really like ASFOS, but it seems weird for them to play it live when very little of it is actually "live".
I mean, it's all live aside from the synths. It's really no different than the backing keys for In My Place being played.

ASFOS has the piano as a backing track as well, but so does Violet Hill. Coldplay have pretty much always used backing tracks, but I think it's more noticable now with the type of production.

Not trying to argue one way or the other. I've just personally gotten used to them doing it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For me, half of this EP works and the other part doesn't. Timbuktu is the best part of the whole think for me, I love how funky this song is with Jonny rocking with his guitar riffs and Chris vocoder fits really well here. Rise up is not to shabby either especially considering that it's Stargate only! E-lo I can't seem to get into even after multiple listens. Voodoo though...geez what happened here? Everything dosen't seem to work here,from lyrics to vocals and the generic production of David Guetta. I wonder what this song was pre-Los Unidades.

• Like 3

For me, half of this EP works and the other part doesn't. Timbuktu is the best part of the whole think for me, I love how funky this song is with Jonny rocking with his guitar riffs and Chris vocoder fits really well here. Rise up is not to shabby either especially considering that it's Stargate only! E-lo I can't seem to get into even after multiple listens. Voodoo though...geez what happened here? Everything dosen't seem to work here,from lyrics to vocals and the generic production of David Guetta. I wonder what this song was pre-Los Unidades.
I agree! Timbuktu is the highlight for me. I think Jonny's guitar is fantastic here and the effect in Chris' voice is awesome. Favorite song by far.

I like Voodoo, although I share similar thoughts to you about it. The chorus is pretty catchy though and saves it for me. I do wish we could hear what it sounded like before though.

You know it's heavily African influenced right? That's what it's meant to be.

Nobody has said this yet, but Voodoo is an African-based religion that is actually from the Caribbean. And it is technically spelled and pronounced Vodou, so I'm surprised no one has complained yet about cultural appropriation.

I really like the song though!

• Like 1

Nobody has said this yet, but Voodoo is an African-based religion that is actually from the Caribbean. And it is technically spelled and pronounced Vodou, so I'm surprised no one has complained yet about cultural appropriation.

I really like the song though!

Hmm I had no idea! And yeah that surprises me that there is no uproar yet. Maybe because others are involved as well?

• Like 1

Well, someone's gotta say it, right ? So I'll be that someone :cool:

*braces for backlash*

Voodoo and Timbuktu are the absolutely worst songs with a Coldplay participation that I've ever heard.

I'm with you completely, @I ran away . I'm trying to like the songs on this EP....trying very hard...I just can't get there. This EP is just really really not for me.

However, I am happy for those who are pleased with it and are enjoying listening! I also think that the purpose of the EP is very cool and I hope they do well with sales for the sake of those it benefits.

In the meantime I'll just sit back, blast some Oldplay in my ears and hope for the best for album #8.

• Like 7

Hmm I had no idea! And yeah that surprises me that there is no uproar yet. Maybe because others are involved as well?

Yeah, and I guess most people don't know that. I just happen to be taking a class about the Caribbean this semester, so that's how I knew...
  • Like 1

Because there are a lot of people want to dance and sing along to someone singing it live even if there are electronic elements. And a Coldplay concert is a whole experience. But I understand if people want things to be pure, authentic, real. Hell, despite my fervent defense of the many directions of Coldplay, I love authentic live instrument playing best. I am truly lamenting the "death of rock" in the industry actually. But there is room for all types of music. And also why is it Coldplay's responsibility to keep it alive? Because from the beginning they were limestone rock at best. I feel like folks are asking Coldplay to "save music" in whatever image they have when from the beginning they were like we arent cool man. We do our own thing. We follow the trends or not. We don't subject ourselves to pressures. Or at least that's how I've seen them evolve from self conscious to IDGAF. And if that loses them some fans that leaves a whole nuther world and generation who will follow despite it all.

• Like 3

Is Voodoo an AHFOD leftover? I have this hazy memory of an interview in which Chris or someone else said that they had this song called Voodoo but they decided to scrap it because it just didn't fit in...

Maybe... I was wondering the same. Maybe they used the intro from the demo version, maybe they brought that demo and the others involved made their own thing like lyrics and DJ production on top of that demo...

I have to agree that the intro of Voodoo gives me some Mylo Xyloto feels, sounds like the bridge from Major Minus, with Jonny playing that soft riff with a lot of reverb on it... I like the intro of Voodoo to be honest... I'd scrap the spanish lyrics tho, since they sound SO CRAPPY (trust me on this one, as an Spanish native speaker, those lyrics are bad), but the intro and the outro of the song are good!!!!

• Like 2

Is Voodoo an AHFOD leftover? I have this hazy memory of an interview in which Chris or someone else said that they had this song called Voodoo but they decided to scrap it because it just didn't fit in...
It's from the MX era.