✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Los Unidades

jainharshul96

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether they're Coldplay or this Los Unidades i thought the guys had a policy of not releasing anything unless all 5 of them.had voted for it unanimously? For Christ's sake this gets through and not "The Race", "Left, right, left, right, left" , "Car Kids"etc. Guy and Will ok to throw a spanner in the works of some of these songs and not "e i e i o (Old MacDonald had a farm)"

Someone is very upset about this :joy:

Just adding my two cents, Coldplay saved my life so like... I understand that some of you might be pissed about this "new direction' but you can't expect a band to follow only what YOU want to hear - as Guy stated in the documentary "You can't always please people." and this is a prime example that if you don't like this direction they're going in - then great! You have like 7 other albums (plus EPs) to listen to, but they seem to be doing something different and I for one am excited to see what new songs they'll come up with... wether it's under "Coldplay" or "Los Unidades"

So quit having a stroke over something you can't control...

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk

• Like 18

Just adding my two cents, Coldplay saved my life so like... I understand that some of you might be pissed about this "new direction' but you can't expect a band to follow only what YOU want to hear - as Guy stated in the documentary "You can't always please people." and this is a prime example that if you don't like this direction they're going in - then great! You have like 7 other albums (plus EPs) to listen to, but they seem to be doing something different and I for one am excited to see what new songs they'll come up with... wether it's under "Coldplay" or "Los Unidades"

So quit having a stroke over something you can't control...

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk

*standing ovation*

• Like 4

Super oldplayer here.

This isn't Coldplay. It's not intended to be. This is the 4 members of Coldplay collaborating with others for a special festival.

Music is/ has been transitioning. It is communal. It is collaborative. The days of one artist/ band slogging away by themselves in the studio are going away. Old artists are becoming producers who will be bringing up next gen artists. This is very much what the boys are doing here.

but their fingerprints are everywhere.

Johnny's r&b groove through verses.

Lots of Guy bass and programming.

2:35 Chris' piano is lit.

Will expanding Viva like percussion.

For what it is, great track. Fun. They're having fun. Now go listen to AICTAIY and have a drink.

• Like 18

Super oldplayer here.

This isn't Coldplay. It's not intended to be. This is the 4 members of Coldplay collaborating with others for a special festival.

Music is/ has been transitioning. It is communal. It is collaborative. The days of one artist/ band slogging away by themselves in the studio are going away. Old artists are becoming producers who will be bringing up next gen artists. This is very much what the boys are doing here.

but their fingerprints are everywhere.

Johnny's r&b groove through verses.

Lots of Guy bass and programming.

2:35 Chris' piano is lit.

Will expanding Viva like percussion.

For what it is, great track. Fun. They're having fun. Now go listen to AICTAIY and have a drink.

*Second standing ovation*

• Like 4

So now one day later, having heard the song a few times and setting aside all the hype from yesterday and the wrong expectations, I really like the song!

It‘s catchy, groovy, has a positive vibe, great message, is easy to sing along and thus perfect for gathering money and attention for a good cause (and thus also a good song for the associated festival).

So i‘m really looking forward to hearing the remaining songs from that ep tomorrow!

And btw that „unsold ideas“ thing could still be true. Maybe they really will use this new band to dig out and rework old song ideas or maybe just use it as a playground to explore and share different songs/styles/genres that just don‘t fit to the name of Coldplay.

But i really hope, that there‘ll be some explanation soon about what this band is all about :D

• Like 8

A few things,

It's nice of everyone to try and put a positive spin and have a positive outlook on this but there's no other way around this song being complete shit. Everyone posting about liking it on their third or fourth time, I would argue you just are listening to it with blinders on knowing it is the boys behind it, which naturally makes you want to like it (Like I've done with their singles on AHFOD and MX). If this song were another group entirely, I'd never listen to it again.

On a more positive note, if they are truly separating Coldplay from this pop nightmare under a new name, let's thank the heavens for that. I do however feel that this move is a few albums and a few singles too late. What I mean by this is, the tracks/singles on AHFOD, Ghost Stories, and MX that were basically EDM pop could have been used for this project and not tarnished the Coldplay brand, as I feel a lot of the world who don't follow the band closely and the newer generation have now associated the band with that sound (pop) entirely. The only music the general public hear are the bands singles, which have all been extremely pop oriented the last few albums. So I am not even sure this name change is going to even differentiate the two bands for most people, like it would us.

Lastly, I am in full agreement with the confused Coldplayers on just how this music gets approved by all 5 of the members. To approve it under a new name is one thing, but this is extremely similar to some of the pop we've heard the boys release under Coldplay. When I hear Chris say things in interviews like he is on a Paul Simon binge and see him cover him in the BBC Lounge, I get SO excited because I think to myself, " YES, he is out of this pop nightmare and finally being inspired by true artists again, this means a Oldplay or even real music album is coming back " , then his next release is something like what we have here. It makes no sense to me. We have had so much new content from the band over the last 5-7 years and while there is some of what I wish for mixed in there, I still hope for the day where they turn the page on this chapter.

Sincerely, An Oldplayer

• Like 8

It could just be possible people are saying positive things because they have different tastes? That doesn't mean they are wrong or stupid. I hate this kind of bullying based on what people like. It's fine to say you don't like something but don't invalidate others opinions.

• Like 12

A few things,

It's nice of everyone to try and put a positive spin and have a positive outlook on this but there's no other way around this song being complete shit. Everyone posting about liking it on their third or fourth time, I would argue you just are listening to it with blinders on knowing it is the boys behind it, which naturally makes you want to like it (Like I've done with their singles on AHFOD and MX). If this song were another group entirely, I'd never listen to it again.

On a more positive note, if they are truly separating Coldplay from this pop nightmare under a new name, let's thank the heavens for that. I do however feel that this move is a few albums and a few singles too late. What I mean by this is, the tracks/singles on AHFOD, Ghost Stories, and MX that were basically EDM pop could have been used for this project and not tarnished the Coldplay brand, as I feel a lot of the world who don't follow the band closely and the newer generation have now associated the band with that sound (pop) entirely. The only music the general public hear are the bands singles, which have all been extremely pop oriented the last few albums. So I am not even sure this name change is going to even differentiate the two bands for most people, like it would us.

Lastly, I am in full agreement with the confused Coldplayers on just how this music gets approved by all 5 of the members. To approve it under a new name is one thing, but this is extremely similar to some of the pop we've heard the boys release under Coldplay. When I hear Chris say things in interviews like he is on a Paul Simon binge and see him cover him in the BBC Lounge, I get SO excited because I think to myself, " YES, he is out of this pop nightmare and finally being inspired by true artists again, this means a Oldplay or even real music album is coming back " , then his next release is something like what we have here. It makes no sense to me. We have had so much new content from the band over the last 5-7 years and while there is some of what I wish for mixed in there, I still hope for the day where they turn the page on this chapter.

Sincerely, An Oldplayer

...Wow.

The thing is, you don't get to decide which songs are good and which aren't. I understand you can't possibly imagine this is a song some Coldplay fans genuinely like, but it is true though. They're not necessarily convincing themselves that it's a good song, maybe they just like more than one genre?

What you're calling a "pop nightmare" that is "tarnishing the Coldplay brand", is (part of) the sound of Coldplay in 2018. Yeah the newer generation probably associates that sound with Coldplay now, because that's how they sound these days. Also, what is that Coldplay brand? They've always tried out different directions, different themes etc. i agreee though, the name change probably isn't going to have much of an effect on how people look at it. Maybe it's just time to accept that the band have changed, and that it's indeed the band that have changed, not just Chris. I mean come on, if Jonny, Will and Guy really couldn't live with this sound, the songs would have either never seen the light of day or the band would have broken up.

Lastly, your third paragraph is the most Oldplayer thing I've ever read. Always interesting to see when people can apparently pinpoint what real music is and who's a true artist and who isn't. Is Pharrell a true artist who makes real music according to you?

Btw I don't like the song either

• Like 9

Yeah the "real music" argument never made sense to me. Everyone has different tastes and that's completely fine, but not calling something real music because you don't like it is invalid.

I don't care for death metal or dubstep but that doesn't mean it's not real music. I myself used to strictly listen to Coldplay. I barely listened to other artists but I feel Coldplay opened up my ears to other sounds and genres. I'd still say that I prefer an alternative rock style but I definitely enjoy more of modern pop than I ever did.

It's great having many different artists and genres to switch between. One minute I will be listening to an older Coldplay song and then I'll switch it up to Logic and then John Mayer and then maybe Taylor Swift.

Once again I think the main reason a lot of people were disappointed was because we hyped it up to something it was never meant to be. This is a side project with the members of Coldplay collaborating with many different artists to experiment with different sounds for the sake of charity. I will admit at first listen I didn't care for the song but after listening to it a few more times, it's pretty good and I think it's perfect for what they are trying to do right now. It's got a good message and is perfect for the festival setting.

Now will we see some other side projects with this "new band"? Who knows, but in my opinion more new music is never a bad thing. If you enjoy it great, if not then don't worry about it because it's not Coldplay. There is a reason why they came up with this new band idea.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 9

^Preach!

I'm sorry you don't like the song, @Chandlerhall16. I joined the forums a little bit after Viva dropped (lost that old account). I was obsessed with Coldplay's first 4 albums and was SO excited for LP5. I wanted it to be an acoustic or shoegaze or alternative rock album so bad.

When Paradise dropped I was at a loss. I hated the heavy distorted bass and the super clean synth production. I just didn't get why Coldplay would go in that direction. But a few months later, I found myself liking it more and more. Then I saw the live version and fell in love. To this day I still love Paradise in all its forms.

It took me a while as a fan to let go of my expectations because they never were going to be met (except they were with ALIENS haha). It's really helped me open up my world of music. I now listen to blackmetal, country, rap, punk, emo, ambient, and pure radio pop all the time. I used to think some genres were just garbage but I was totally wrong. My advice is just keep an open mind. Coldplay will release rock music again, but in the meantime, E-Lo is pretty fun to dance too even if it's schmaltzy...

EDIT

And I actually think it's funny you brought up Paul Simon. Graceland (one of the greatest albums of all time) was a huge pop departure for Paul following his SImon and Garfunkel days. It's definitely a more organic pop album, more so than what Los Unidades is doing. But it's interesting that Chris is drawing influence from modern African music just like Paul Simon drew influence from the African music of his time to make Graceland. I think you inadvertently pointed out that Coldplay is kind of doing what exactly Paul Simon did -- just with the modern aesthetic. AND I'M NOT saying that his EP will be comparable to Graceland. Nothing compares to that album...

• Like 8

I think this EP and the song E-lo were exclusively released to raise money for the Global Citizens concert in Johannisburg. It only serves a charity fundraising purpose and has not that much to do with Coldplay.

Chris signed up with Global Citizens for 15 years, as he explained on German TV last year. His job is to find out where the next Global Citizens event is going to take place and invite musicians to play there.

The band as a whole has not signed up with Global Citizens. All the four of them have their own charities they support besides having their common charities like 'Make Trade Fair'.

Chris sometimes takes part in the event together with the rest of the band (Coldplay), sometimes without the band. Then he sings together with other artists. In Johannisburg only Chris is going to sing.

The Name of 'Los Unidades' probably refers to a group of artists, not only Coldplay artists, who from now on will get together twice a year for a Global Citizen event, always with Chris but not always with Jonny, Will and Guy.

So we shouldn't be all hyped up about this song. It's not strictly speaking a Coldplay song.

• Like 4

Why do people think they are entitled to the exact sort of Coldplay record they want. If everybody thought this way, then we would not have Radiohead's Kid A or U2's Achtung Baby. Believe me when I say that Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman and Will Champion know what they are doing, you don't get to be the worlds biggest band without being smart. Let em get on with it, and they will come back huge soon. First lets just enjoy "Live in..." next week.

• Like 11

Do remember to that Los Unidades is a different band to Coldplay and they’ve only released ONE SONG so far, we don’t know what future Los Unidades songs will sound like, but we can only take E-Lo as a guide.

The band may have chosen to create a new band to explore their otherwise controversial ideas which is an awesome move, but Coldplay itself nevertheless has been changing and evolving for 20 years, and they’re asking us to change with them.

I know I’ve got my seat on this crazy adventure

• Like 4

A few things,

Sincerely, An Oldplayer

I'll completely agree that as long as I hear Chris Martin's voice on something, I will tend to view it positively (compared to the same song with another singer). That's my bias as a Coldplayer and I don't think its unreasonable to think otherwise.

Personally, i've heard it a few more times since then, and still dont like it, lol.

We can argue which direction/genre is superior until the cows come home (clearly, since we've been doing our best to argue since LP5), but neither side will ever be correct, and it also doesnt matter because whatever direction, it came about from the band themselves whether we like it or not.

But like the first trilogy of albums, this next pop phase will pass as well i'd say. So if I were to offer some hope for the hardcore oldplayers, it would be that.

• Like 5

Do remember to that Los Unidades is a different band to Coldplay and they’ve only released ONE SONG so far, we don’t know what future Los Unidades songs will sound like, but we can only take E-Lo as a guide.

The band may have chosen to create a new band to explore their otherwise controversial ideas which is an awesome move, but Coldplay itself nevertheless has been changing and evolving for 20 years, and they’re asking us to change with them.

I know I’ve got my seat on this crazy adventure

Exactly. The last studio release we had from Coldplay was Kaleidoscope EP and the next release is the live album. I think this should help some people with the confusion. This is not Coldplay, just something they are a part of.

• Like 4

Why do people think they are entitled to the exact sort of Coldplay record they want. If everybody thought this way, then we would not have Radiohead's Kid A or U2's Achtung Baby. Believe me when I say that Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman and Will Champion know what they are doing, you don't get to be the worlds biggest band without being smart. Let em get on with it, and they will come back huge soon. First lets just enjoy "Live in..." next week.

STANDING. OVATION.

• Like 6

I don't have a problem if you like the song, but I think comparing it to Kid A is a bit much. Kid A was a completely unexpected move, with the most creative songwriting and lyrics Radiohead had up to that point in territory they and most other rock groups had never set foot in (outside of Meeting in the Aisle). We've already had songs in E-Lo's sort of style from Coldplay in the forms of SJLT and HFTW, and there's not much separating it from the rest of the songs on the Top 40 charts at the moment. Again, all power to you if you love the track, but I don't think you can argue that you can compare it to the transition between OKC and Kid A.

• Like 2

I know its got David Guetta- but my hype level for 'Voodoo' is slowly rising!!

Apple music says it "elicits widescreen Mylo Xyloto feels" AHHH. Its still going to very different & I'm excited. I feel like Global Citizen EP2 may have Car Kids, purely because of this reference.

• Like 1

I know its got David Guetta- but my hype level for 'Voodoo' is slowly rising!!

Apple music says it "elicits widescreen Mylo Xyloto feels" AHHH. Its still going to very different & I'm excited. I feel like Global Citizen EP2 may have Car Kids, purely because of this reference.

Same here! Maybe we will see some more unreleased stuff after all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1