✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Los Unidades

jainharshul96

Voodoo is great in parts and not so great in others. The first minute or so is really good (the first verse sounds a lot like Fun to me) but the chorus and the "get on the bounce" guest singer's parts aren't my favourite. Timbuktu is alright. The parts where Chris is singing are good, but the guest singer with the over-the-top autotune is sort of offputting. I actually really like Stormzy's part, more so than Jay-Z's bit in Lost+ or Big Sean's bit in M(SS). My mind hasn't changed on E-Lo.

In general, I think that Voodoo and Timbuktu have some really good bits that are sort of sidelined by the not-so-good bits. And be honest, would you really give any of these songs a listen if Chris wasn't singing on them? I probably wouldn't and I feel like a lot of you wouldn't either.

• Like 2

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not sure if I fully like Voodoo...I don’t get the supposed MX feels. I think Timbuktu and Rise Up are better....

Yeah I feel a similar way. I think I let people's comments hype me up too much. I do love the vocoder effect on Chris' vocals on Timbuktu though!

I got a big smile right now. This EP is super fun and am grateful to have it. Every feature is amazing!!! Seriously. I love all the guest vocals so much. In a lot of ways, this feels like what AHFOD could have been if Coldplay wanted to take major risks -- but then again, this is only like 50% coldplay and the rest of it is clearly the extra producers/artists performing.

LOVE:

• The guitar and bass throughout is amazing. So funky on Timbuktu.
  • The inclusion of horns, polyrhythmic percussion and synths!
  • Stormzy's verse! Danny Ocean! Miriam Makeba is best part of E-Lo! Jess Kent's backing vocals.
  • Cassper Nyovest gives Timbuktu the BEST production on this.

Meh

• Honestly.... I wish Chris didn't do vocals for this EP. It is kind of distracting for me to be like "oh yeah Coldplay" when I just want to enjoy the eclectic beats. Like my fave parts of ever song are the parts where Chris IS NOT singing. I feel like he was here just for his star power, but I would have liked Tiwa Savage to be the main singer on Voodoo, and on E-Lo I would have preferred Jozzy on the vocals, or just having Jess/Stormzy on Timbuktu. But that's a minor complaint.
  • Voodoo - I think this could have been my favourite song, but the super basic David Guetta chorus is the most EDM generic thing on this EP. Like, beneath that obnoxious loud bass, Jonny is slaying the guitar and Chris is playing awesome latin guitar but you can barely hear it. BUT HOLY COW! Danny Ocean's verse might be my favorite part on the entire EP!!!!!

Dislike

• Nothing. This is really fun and I'm super glad Coldplay is doing something fresh and diverse AND for a good cause.

• Like 5

So just listened to the EP and I have to say. Well done guys. When E-Lo first came out, I was a bit underwhelmed but that was because we got our hopes up too much. After a couple of days I started to like the song more and more, and above all appreciate what it stands for. Now hearing the song in context, with the charity and the entire EP in mind. I think this has been a brilliant move by Coldplay. The songs are all very lovely, with a positive message/vibe (like Miracles SS). The songs give me the feeling of embracing the future and that hope is still around the corner. Short review of the songs:

Rise Up: (don't know if the guys actually worked on this one) but I really like the instrumental parts, would be cool if Coldplay were to do an instrumental song like this in the future.

E-Lo: wasn't fond of the o-lo-e-o-lo-lo parts at first, still don't really know what to think about it but is has a really nice beat and melody, it's very sticky.

Timbuktu: really good, I don't think I've ever heard a song like this. Really creative and mysterious. Jonny of course helps the song to higher levels!

Voodoo: don't really hear the MX vibes here, but still really nice song, even though I think the buildup towards the chorus can be a little genereic (what else can you expect with David Guetta) but once again the guitar is amazing and the song has a very energetic/positive vibe to it.

Overall: the EP, well done guys. It indeed isn't a regular 'Coldplay' thing, and I hope they won't actually only make this kind of music in the future. But as it is a side project, in which the guys clearly had a lot of fun in making it, I think they really did a great job and importantly spreading positive vibes for a good cause.

BTW: Do you think there is any chance any of the other guys will be performing at the Global Citizen festival today as well? Only Chris is mentioned but that could be because 'Los Unidades' wasn't really a thing yet when they announced it. Plus, all the songs have been 'performed' by the other three as well.

• Like 7

Well I'm sorry to contradict most, but after listening to the whole EP I do not like any song. Very pop songs (especially voodoo, I do not know where the similarity with MX is) that do not look at all like the coldplay sound. Not even the AHFOD sounds similar.

In Spain we say "for tastes, colors" to express that everyone has their opinion (which is very legitimate). Sincerely I have not liked anything and I'm glad in that sense that this has not come out under the name of Coldplay. I understand that it is an EP to raise funds for a charitable cause and in that sense it seems a very good action, but the music that it contains ... uff.

I hope the next thing that Los Unidos will do is to get unreleased songs from previous Coldplay albums like Kar Kids or Ladder to the Sun. Because if they are only going to do things like these, the wait for the LP8 will be very long ...

• Like 5

Despite some hateful comments (looking at you @arushofjacktothehead), I can see why the Coldplay name has been distanced from this EP. Los Unidades on this EP sounds like a dancepop party!

Jonny Buckland still plays delicious guitar licks whichever band he’s in. Timbuktu’s guitar sounds VERY much like AOAL strum. Beautiful plinking in Voodoo too.

E-Lo is probably my faveourite though. Although I think the Mandela rhythm and vibes track is actually pretty cool!

Will E-Lo or Voodoo be hitting radio stations?

E-Lo is already on the dutch radio stations :D It came in first in the ITunes top 30.

• Like 1

Got to say, I don't like all the songs on this EP, E-Lo its good I guess... Rise Up is kinda meh... Timbuktu, I have to listen to it once again. And I can see Voodoo intro coming back from 2010-2011, it sounds kinda similar to what we hear on Major Minus bridge. And totally hating this Danny Ocean part. I dislike the kind of music he makes...

Got to listen to this EP several times more to like it.

My main problem with this EP is the production. Both Timbuktu and Voodoo are okay tracks that could've been way better if it was mixed differently. In both cases, I think Jonny's guitar should be featured more prominelty. He plays cool riffs and melodies on both tracks, but they're buried under a wall of other sounds and Stargate/David Guetta production that doesn't really have any business on there. Then again, they chose to do this under the new name Los Unidades for a reason. If they keep the Los Unidades name for these kind of tracks and tone the pop down a bit under the Coldplay name, I'll be a very happy guy.

• Like 2

I'm glad to see so many folks enjoying this EP on the forums. Ultimately I find it pretty dang enjoyable even though I share some complaints about Stargate's production (though I think Rise Up is flawless).

As others have said, I am glad this is an EP that isn't under Coldplay's name and that features a lot of diverse collaborators. I can forgive the fact that Chris' lyrics, on paper, are pretty terrible here because these are songs that are appealing to a global audience. I think their ability to release "Unsold Ideas" while lifting the voices of global artists is something that's exciting moving forward -- but hopefully next time they can leave David Guetta and Stargate out of it... I for one just love having more Coldplay-related music. This stuff is legitimately danceable, which I can't say about SJLT, ASFOS, or even AOAL.

And yeah, hopefully this doesn't delay LP8. I don't think it will personally, and I hope it means Coldplay can get back to making music that's less interested in mainstream pop appeal, regardless of the genre.

^fine with me. I dont expect everyone to like every song Coldplay is associated with especially this one of this style and since its not technically under the Coldplay brand.

The only reason you'd be getting backlash (from me anyways) is if you use this as a way to put down everyone else who does like the song. I'm not against differing opinions, i am against telling people their opinions are wrong and making them feel bad about liking something.

and to clarify, while i don't hate the song as much as some, I also wouldn't go out of my way to hear it again, lol. I actually havent heard it since the initial play.

• Like 2

Voodoo isn't my bag so I'm not going to say anything about it other than I feel like it could have been so much more.

Timbuktu is alright, but I'm mostly stunned about the fact Chris apparently let Stormzy call him a legend on a track he's on as well. I mean I can't believe he didn't veto that. Chris? You heard that, right?

• Like 3

Despite some hateful comments (looking at you @arushofjacktothehead), I can see why the Coldplay name has been distanced from this EP. Los Unidades on this EP sounds like a dancepop party!

Jonny Buckland still plays delicious guitar licks whichever band he’s in. Timbuktu’s guitar sounds VERY much like AOAL strum. Beautiful plinking in Voodoo too.

E-Lo is probably my faveourite though. Although I think the Mandela rhythm and vibes track is actually pretty cool!

Will E-Lo or Voodoo be hitting radio stations?

...ugh. hateful? i'm sorry, but if you find this hateful, then you're going a tad over the top. what i mean is that this is the last thing that a lot of us wanted after AHFOD. it's (hopefully) only a side project.

• Like 2

Obviously only Chris is going to play in Johannisburg:

Coldplay’s manager Dave Holmes commented on the new song:

“It was a real honour to help further the Global Citizen movement by putting together this release alongside Chris and Parlophone. We’ve ended up with so many incredible performers, and we’re all extremely proud of the finished EP. May it be the first of many.”