✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday life - the track - Sunset

Coeurli

So after listening to this more, it really is such a poignant reflection of the world right now, especially politically.

What in the world are we going to do?

Look at what everybody's going through

There is so, so much suffering in the world now, with wars being waged and families being ripped apart. This is simply Coldplay pleaing for *something* to be done.

What kind of world do you want it to be?

Am I the future or the history?

With all of the hatred in politics, it seems like the world is changing. What is going to be like in 10, 20 years? I also see this line being told from the perspective of someone living in a war-torn country. Will they even be alive in the next few years?

'Cause everyone hurts

Everyone cries

Everyone tells each other all kinds of lies

Everyone falls

Everybody dreams and doubts

While this is obviously saying that we are all human, I think it's also a reflection on how the world at the moment is based upon lies. We're made to believe that our fellow people are the cause of our problems, when really we are being told so many lies to satisfy political agendas

Got to keep dancing when the lights go out

No matter how much anger and hatred is being stirred up, we need to carry on and love each other. No matter how dark things get, the world needs to stay united.

How in the world I am going to see?

You as my brother

...Not my enemy?

This is probably the most important lyric to me. Everyone is made to think their fellow man is their enemy, so how can we possibly learn to believe any different?

Hold tight for everyday life

We need to be strong - this is our 'everyday life' right now, and it's easy to be dragged down into the hatred.

• Like 9

I personally always felt the perfect closer to X&Y was Twisted Logic. Often I end listening to the album there and skip Til Kingdom Come :D

Yes, you're absolutely right. I just realized that TKC break the symmetry between the two parts, and also doesn't relate with the theme of the album like others hidden tracks ('Life is for Living' , 'The Escapist'). I think I'm moving it to my b-sides playlist starting today.

So, let me rephrase what I said:

Does anybody else feels that 'Everyday Life' could have been a better closer to X&Y than 'Twisted Logic'?

Seems to me that it creates a more similar effect in comparison to what 'X&Y' delivers as a closer to the 'X' half of the album.

I was gonna reserve all judgment until a few weeks after the album drops, but wow! I'm genuinely amazed by this song. First time I've felt like this for almost a decade! It's everything I've wanted from this band in one track; superb instrumentation, breathtaking strings, stripped-back minimal production, great heartfelt lyrics, moody tones and textures... Also VERY reminiscent of Gravity. I'm just blown away by this song and I know of a lot of oldplayers who feel the same.

Two interesting facts I've picked up; the intro is most likely a street recording of a middle eastern country (Palestine probably) around the time before sunset Adhan. And the strings are either directly sampled or inspired by Mirrorball:

• Like 5

I was gonna reserve all judgment until a few weeks after the album drops, but wow! I'm genuinely amazed by this song. First time I've felt like this for almost a decade! It's everything I've wanted from this band in one track; superb instrumentation, breathtaking strings, stripped-back minimal production, great heartfelt lyrics, moody tones and textures... Also VERY reminiscent of Gravity. I'm just blown away by this song and I know of a lot of oldplayers who feel the same.

Two interesting facts I've picked up; the intro is most likely a street recording of a middle eastern country (Palestine probably) around the time before sunset Adhan. And the strings are either directly sampled or inspired by Mirrorball:

Welcome back !

The strings are from John Metcalfe apparently. He also arranged the strings for ALIENS and Hypnotised. He is brilliant !

• Like 3

@nvdmm, I am with you on how you feel about this song. VitaminZ, your analysis is spot-on.! Maybe that why I can’t even listen to the entire song without crying. Is this song triggering for anyone else? For me, I think the “lights go out” line is taking me back to my mom’s passing in 2017, still raw to me in that we are in a lawsuit against her care facilities. Have to stop writing and get a tissue....

• Sad 6

@nvdmm, I am with you on how you feel about this song. VitaminZ, your analysis is spot-on.! Maybe that why I can’t even listen to the entire song without crying. Is this song triggering for anyone else? For me, I think the “lights go out” line is taking me back to my mom’s passing in 2017, still raw to me in that we are in a lawsuit against her care facilities. Have to stop writing and get a tissue....

Are you still in that lawsuit ? This song certainly is tear-inducing, at times it almost makes me cry too. The instrumental, the atmospheric beginning, some of the lyrics...so powerful.

• Like 3

Really sorry to read that :( hope you and your family get justice. What I love about Coldplay is that their songs can speak to you in so many ways, back in 2004 my mum passed away and I always had The Scientist on repeat, it helped in so many ways

• Like 6

If that’s the case, maybe there won’t be a big hit? Unless Orphans is the one?

It might come after the album release (like HFTW, ASFOS...)

Then again, you never know. The band has repeatedly said they have reached everything in their career they could have dreamt of. Maybe they don't see the necessity to have a "big hit" these days. I could totally see this album not having one.

• Like 6

First I was not sure about this song but it changed so fast ! I was walking in the street in the middle of the day, with the sun on my face and Everyday Life in my ears... and i knew. I knew what they wanted to say. Coldplay is such an amazing soundtrack for life.

• Like 8

Yes, SAME ! At first I thought it was an okay song, beautiful beginning and strings but nothing special. And now I can't stop listening to it !

I was awake a while in the night, listened to it on headphones at 3.30am and noticed a lot of textures (eg of the strings) that I hadn’t before, and it was truly beautiful. I’m still not totally sure about the melody at times, but it may grow on me.

• Like 3

On last Sunday I listen EL for the very first time. Completely unaware, it was released. The intro began (maybe a market in the middle east or India?), the strings and the piano, Chris, wow so touching. On YouTube someone wrote the words..."completely unexpectedly til the end of the year, Coldplay release an album and the year will be a better one now for the last two month..." Thats so right, I feel so better now.

• Like 3

On last Sunday I listen EL for the very first time. Completely unaware, it was released. The intro began (maybe a market in the middle east or India?), the strings and the piano, Chris, wow so touching. On YouTube someone wrote the words..."completely unexpectedly til the end of the year, Coldplay release an album and the year will be a better one now for the last two month..." Thats so right, I feel so better now.

Well said. And congrats on writing your first post after registering here almost seven years ago :D

• Like 3

This songs a real grower. It makes me proud to be a Coldplay fan for the first time in a VERY long time.

For me it’s the right blend of nostalgic and fresh, while it really reminds me of the X&Y era (The first Coldplay LP I ever bought) it still seems like it’s not retreading old ground. It’s not like everglow, with sickly sweet saccharine production and corny lyrics. It’s simply a Coldplay song that’s been untarnished by outside influences.

Whereas sonically I think that LP2 will always remain the bands best compilation of songs, to me the spacey atmospherics, unashamed sentimentality and nervy alt rock sound of X&Y will forever be true, undiluted and pure Coldplay. This is exactly what this song is.

• Like 6

I forgot to post my impressions of the song!

I've listened to the live version most in order to keep the studio version relatively fresh for when I finally listen to the album in full, so I haven't paid close attention to production and all the amazing and clearly quite various elements that went into the song yet.

However I can say that I'm already absolutely in love with it.

Chris' performance had a raw emotional energy that was powerful and really moving, and that definitely helped.

I feel like it's a simple song with simple lyrics and a simple message, but it's the kind of message that can actually be a hard pill to swallow, and a genuinely difficult lesson to truly understand in life.

It was exactly the kind of message that I needed to hear at this particular time of my life and I am really grateful for it.

It's a surprising closer for Coldplay as we tend to expect epic songs to close the album, but this quiet, simple ballad is actually pretty relevant as a closer for this particular album. I haven't even heard the album in full yet but I can already feel it. It's really the end of the story where the narrator is like "well, what now? What have we learnt from this ?"

It sums up the message of the album (EMPATHY) and it's really wise.

Oh and personally so far I still prefer the live version, the Chris on piano/Jonny on guitar combo is always irresistible and a proper tear jerker.

• Like 4