✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday life - the track - Sunset

Coeurli

Really not sure why y'all think this song isn't finished or is lacking a Death and All His Friends climax? This isn't a song for the stadiums, it's a nice, gentle, somber closer that moves without being dramatic. With just enough of a glimmer of hope. It's a smooth, subdued finale that resigns itself to the quirks and frustrations of the thing it's titled after. And, unlike Coldplay's weakest songs, it never pretends to be something it's not. Just like everyday life, Everyday Life just simply exists, and that's what makes it beautiful.

This isn't meant to be Fix You or Amsterdam part 2. Inserting a massive singalong chorus would be like shouting "fire!" in the middle of the night when everyone's sleeping. Coldplay are favoring Ghost Stories's grace and restraint over AHFOD's melodrama, which is a very welcome change of pace. Not everything needs a climax or huge explosion. Besides, isn't Orphans about how there are too many explosions in the world? ;)

• Like 18

I've been listening to the studio version of Everyday Life on repeat and honestly... wow. It's really beautiful. In terms of sheer beauty, it ranks up there with Gravity, Fix You, Fly On, Death And All His Friends, and the like.

I adore the production. Jonny's E-bow especially steals the show here, it compliments those strings perfectly. The lyrics are beautiful, with what seems to be an REM reference (Everybody Hurts) in there. I still think the song ends too abruptly, but it all makes more sense to me in this studio version compared to the SNL performance. In time, this might end up being one of my favorite Coldplay album closers.

This era is turning out to be really special. Wow.

• Like 7

Really not sure why y'all think this song isn't finished or is lacking a Death and All His Friends climax? This isn't a song for the stadiums, it's a nice, gentle, somber closer that moves without being dramatic. With just enough of a glimmer of hope. It's a smooth, subdued finale that resigns itself to the quirks and frustrations of the thing it's titled after. And, unlike Coldplay's weakest songs, it never pretends to be something it's not. Just like everyday life, Everyday Life just simply exists, and that's what makes it beautiful.

This isn't meant to be Fix You or Amsterdam part 2. Inserting a massive singalong chorus would be like shouting "fire!" in the middle of the night when everyone's sleeping. Coldplay are favoring Ghost Stories's grace and restraint over AHFOD's melodrama, which is a very welcome change of pace. Not everything needs a climax or huge explosion. Besides, isn't Orphans about how there are too many explosions in the world? ;)

Spot on.

• Like 1

Have to agree, after a few listens.

I feel like this song could have been a huge 5 and a half minute long tear jerker, particularly at the end... It definitely feels like it's building towards something and doesn't quite get there.

Must admit though, that string arrangement is gorgeous, and I really like that there's no big introduction of drums. We're yet to listen to the album so it may make a lot more sense in the scheme of it.

100% agree! The opening gave me goosebumps though. Gorgeous but could have been a minute longer!

• Like 1

My opinion: Coldplay's "Imagine"!

But let's get to there....

It's just a nice and beautiful little song, which closes the album. It has a really classic Coldplay feel to it, production is complete and not overdone. It's not going to be the big hit single in the current music scene and being the last song of the album, it probably is supposed to work much better after listening the whole album.

Lack of climax? At first I felt the same with for example Always in my Head. I think we are associating Coldplay too much with massive climaxes and wait for these to happen, getting a bit disappointed when song just ends simply.

Every song doesn't need to have a climax. Imagine by John Lennon has climax? - No... In a way Everyday Life actually is very similar to Imagine actually for me. Just a simple down-to-earth song, which is not trying to be anything more.

P.S. I'm not trying to say you should literally compare these two songs now, because Imagine is something legendary and saint, but the way Everyday Life and Imagine deliver the message, feels very similar for me.

• Like 7

Thank you very much for this thought.

Everyday Life is not a bombastic song and it doesn't need to be. It's sentimental song of reflection to a likely sentimental album of reflection of the world today. I didn't even remember it was the closer when I first heard it. I just think it's a great song on its own. With it's beautiful lyrics and simplistic sounding music.

You guys be trippin' here.

• Like 7

My opinion is that we can only be happy with Coldplay!!!!

The song itself, it doesn't lift off the ground much, I was expecting something after the first chorus but it's light.

But maybe that was the intention.

You can't write 16 songs and think they're all gonna be inventive and un-Coldplay like.

It's still a very good ballad, almost like a wedding song!

• Like 2

Love the first three quarters (especially the instrumental), underwhelmed by the ending though with those hallelujahs. And it ends too abruptly.

Still better than Army of One or A Sky Full Of Stars!

It falls slightly flat for me in the sense it’s not as good as Gravity or DAAHF. The more I listen it sounds like an X&Y throwaway mixed with AHFOD style lyrics and a string arrangement thrown in for good measure. Not going to be groundbreaking in Coldplay’s discography but still, I’d rather an album full of songs like this than have another MX or AHFOD!

The fact that a song released by Coldplay in 2019 is even being compared to X&Y is glorious.

• Like 3

I was really scared with all your messages but that's actually a really lovely song.

Maybe we expected something more explosive and epic like Arabesque but the song actually suits the message they want to share.

Need a few more listens but it's certainly better than up&up already imo

• Like 1

Many people have done this already, but I really don't like to compare a new song with an (older) Coldplay song.

The song is sooo beautiful, full of emotions and has an alternative sound.

I think it's perfect the way it is! I might prefer something other than just "halleluja" for the lyrics during the outro but I think Chris sings it in a nice way. The first time he sang "halleluja" live I didn't even notice it until the 2nd time he sang "halleluja".

I am not complaining, I love the song. Sounds a bit like the style of their earlier days with a modern twist and it is fan. tas. tic! :heart:

• Like 5

Love the song.

Also to all the people complaining about the ending:

Just watch the ending of Everyday Life transition smoothly straight into Sunrise. (Like Death and All His Friends into Life in Technicolor)

• Like 2

Easily my favourite song of the three. Very beautiful, might be in my top 5 favourite Coldplay songs. Sounds pretty timeless to me, the lyrics pretty emotional and touching imo, especially "Am I the future or the history" and "Everyone tells each other all kinds of lies" fit so well. A solid album closer, I think this works well even without a massive buildup. After Ghost Stories we haven't really gotten one of these more mellow/gloomy type songs, and I've really missed hearing this type of Coldplay. I tend to enjoy sadder Coldplay songs more than the upbeat stuff, so I'm very proud and happy that they made this kind of song again.

• Like 5

I've not heard it yet, I'm so excited but feel like it might be worth saving it for album.

I have looked at what you guys have been saying and I'm so intrigued. I was expecting a song somewhere between Fix You and Death and All His Friends but a bit more chilled out, melodic and melancholy basically just discussing going through the motions. Now I don't really know what to expect. Very excited though!

• Like 2

Those 3 songs made me wanna listen to 3 different albums : VLV with Arabesque, MX with Orphans and X and Y with Everyday Life. It's the first time that Coldplay releases songs with so many diverse identities. And i love it.

Unlike AHFOD, it seems to have a feeling of a last album...

• Like 1

Tend to disagree that nothing stands out.

To me, it's the simplicity. Thinking about the many, many things that are going wrong in the world today this song captures the feeling of turning inside yourself wonderfully.

Everday Life is an very heart-warming and esthetic song.

• Like 5

I havent gone through and read all the responses, but apparently the ending is a talking point?

Now, im not religious, but I'd say im somewhat spiritual. When I heard that ending, I could imagine myself 'arms open wide' chanting 'hallelujah' with a crowd of 20-50 thousand, and thats why I love that ending. Doesnt seem like this album will tour very well, but still, thats the visual I had.

Someone brought a good point up about remembering this song in the context of the rest of the album and its placement on the tracklist.

I dont know where i'd rank this song with the other 2 we know, but lets say Coldplay are 3 for 3 in my book!

• Like 2