✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday life - the track - Sunset

Coeurli

Still better than Army of One or A Sky Full Of Stars!

It falls slightly flat for me in the sense it’s not as good as Gravity or DAAHF. The more I listen it sounds like an X&Y throwaway mixed with AHFOD style lyrics and a string arrangement thrown in for good measure. Not going to be groundbreaking in Coldplay’s discography but still, I’d rather an album full of songs like this than have another MX or AHFOD!

The fact that a song released by Coldplay in 2019 is even being compared to X&Y is glorious.

I disagree with the first statement XD

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Posted this on the main LP8 - Everyday Life Thread but here's my ramble. I was walking home from the bars last night (a bit tipsy) and listened to this track 3 or 4 times and then have listened a bunch this morning and watched the live version.

TLDR: Inessential Coldplay. Bummed that this album closer feels half baked and somewhat dull. Instrumental is okay, lyrics are okay but a bit on the nose. Forgettable overall, hope it fits better on album but not great single.

[spoiler=Review]

Yeah inessential Coldplay, like 5/10, might grow on me. The strings throughout are great, but i'm not a fan of the choice of using glossy, 80's keyboards and the dull, syruppy drumpad. Jonny's ambient guitar is again inaudible throughout most of the track (see Oceans, O, Army of One), which is one of my biggest newplay gripes. Guy's bassline is fine but kind of muddy in the mix.

Lyrically, this is one of those tracks on a good day, I can just be like "okay cool Chris" but today I think they are too on the nose and lack any spice or poetry. Chris can sometimes be overly literal and he's doing that here, but of course the sentiment is nice.

In some ways track feels like a mixture of all of Coldplay's era. The songwriting feels similar to X&Y, the guitar is similar to Paracthutes/AROBTTH, production is Ghost Stories/MX. But the song has no momentum. It doesn't really go anywhere or do anything as interesting as the opening strings. And even then, we have cooler string arrangements out of Colplay (Hypnotised, ALIENS, everything Viva, Birds). In summary it's a Chris Martin piano ballad (Up In Flames, O) and the band ends up just filling in the empty sound without adding much imagination to the track.

Idk, it's cool to have a soft closer to an album i guess but if this is how they conclude this era, I'm worried I've been fooled into the first two singles being my fave tracks and then not liking a lot of the rest of the album. But also, maybe the rest of the album will be so full of awesome bangers and cool sounds that this track will feel like a satisfying ending. Idk.

• Like 2

A lot of catching up to do on this thread.

I hope that the album version includes some sort of hidden track after that abrupt ending,

That is my hope as well

My opinion: Coldplay's "Imagine"!

Thought the same upon first listening to it !

And for the record, I don't think this song, dreamy and quiet as it is, needed a massive buildup or climax. I just wished it had a more memorable ending, e.g. a fadeout with some distorted guitar or wistful strings etc

• Like 1

Wait, this is a single? Thought it was just a song they played like Amazing Day.

I like the quietness if the ending and how it wasn't 'big'. Perhaps add a church choir backing up the Hallelujahs to add some depth and impact, but I don't mind this.

• Like 1

I really think this song is amazing, and I disagree that it seems incomplete. We all love a Coldplay crescendo but really this is perfect how it is. It’s *meant* to sound subdued, and it works so well. It’s a reflective piece on the state of the world right now and its full of raw emotion.

All 3 songs we’ve heard so far are so, so good - this is truly Coldplay at its finest, we’re in for a treat come the 22nd of November :)

• Like 3

It’s a very beautifully sounding song.

The lyrics are powerful

But idk it just lacks something. It’s my fault really, I really was hoping that this song would be Coldplay’s next iconic hit but it turns out it’s UWTB 2.0 but a little better. Will have to hear it with the rest of the album of course.

Helpful tip: Don’t put this track on your party playlist :party:

6/10

edit: I really like this songs intro with the strings it reminds me a little of LiT

• Like 2

Or maybe the ending would make more sense if it's connected with album's open track "Sunrise"? just my thoughts tho.

Also to all the people complaining about the ending:

Just watch the ending of Everyday Life transition smoothly straight into Sunrise. (Like Death and All His Friends into Life in Technicolor)

This is what I'm hoping for. Something that brings the album full circle. AHFOD kind of did this with Colour Spectrum but I prefer the way The Escapist and O do it, since they are the album closers.

• Like 2

It's just me or does anyone else has the feeling that this could have been the perfect closer to X&Y instead of 'Til Kingdom Come?'

I personally always felt the perfect closer to X&Y was Twisted Logic. Often I end listening to the album there and skip Til Kingdom Come :D

• Like 2