✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

It's been oddly quiet. Perhaps that's just part of releasing a record later in the year before the Holidays when the band is spending time with families and when the media cycle slows down. Maybe it's just the new norm when you're a legacy band -- there's lots of exciting artists to be talking about instead of Coldplay afterall.Β 

But yeah... for an album featuring BTS and Selena Gomez, it seems like it didn't gain a lot of steam? Obviously I'm biased because it's my least favorite Coldplay record and also, if we are to trust metacritic's results, their least critically acclaimed record. The heights of this era really seem to have come from Coloratura, which took the media and critical world by storm, and of course, My Universe given how massive it is.Β 

The question moving forward is whether they will continue with a pre-determined 3 volume plan or if they are shifting their tactics based on the responses to this album. I'm more inclined to believe they have 2 albums ready to drop and more singles to come in 2022 with more features and Max Martin will continue helping producing.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2022 at 10:55 AM, gustavothehuman said:

It feels like they abandoned the era to be honest, which is understandable given the reception πŸ˜”

They can’t just β€œabandon the era” when they’re still working on it. A lot of recording and tour rehearsing has been happening last year as well as so far this year so they’re just busy with that I think. MOTS Vol ii is well on the way I think!Β 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, The Jordanator said:

They can’t just β€œabandon the era” when they’re still working on it. A lot of recording and tour rehearsing has been happening last year as well as so far this year so they’re just busy with that I think. MOTS Vol ii is well on the way I think!Β 

We got six music videos for Everyday Life and it's quite certain that they were already recording MOTS at the time. The band's silence has a reason, they can claim not caring about what other people think but I've saw some FANS attacking them after the album release, that would make any artist feel down. Even Phil disappeared, y'all are innocent to believe they don't see everything that goes on in the internet.

Edited by gustavothehuman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gustavothehuman said:

We got six music videos for Everyday Life and it's quite certain that they were already recording MOTS at the time. The band's silence has a reason, they can claim not caring about what other people think but I've saw some FANS attacking them after the album release, that would make any artist feel down. Even Phil disappeared, y'all are innocent to believe they don't see everything that goes on in the internet.

I don't think they've disappeared because fans have been mean about the album. Sure, I bet Phil and some of their staff take a look at critical responses and provide overviews of the reception, but I don't think that's what's going on. I just think the band is moving to a lower key phase in their career. And even if they were like "oh no, people didn't like MOTS," I think they'd still release everything they've worked on.

They've been pretty candid at this point that they don't care about what people think and the music is largely for them. Maybe a few adjustments can be made, but they have the next two-three years likely very planned out.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

The heights of this era really seem to have come from Coloratura, which took the media and critical world by storm

I'm nor sure about that. It was critically acclaimed, yes, and was received incredibly well by fans, but I didn't see it have much impact on the media. It might have done more if it was a 'proper' single, but as it stands I'm not show what the basis of that statement is. Enlighten me, please...

Β 

-------------

I doubt Coldplay are going to 'end the era' - their world tour is called MOTS for a reason - but it may well be the case that future songs and albums meant to be part of Music Of The Spheres might be rebranded, either entirely or with less emphasis on MOTS. MOTS2, for example, might be branded as (MOTS2) Aurora, or whatever it'll be called.

Edited by Doomotron
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 7:53 PM, lennyrott1 said:

It's been oddly quiet. Perhaps that's just part of releasing a record later in the year before the Holidays when the band is spending time with families and when the media cycle slows down. Maybe it's just the new norm when you're a legacy band -- there's lots of exciting artists to be talking about instead of Coldplay afterall.Β 

But yeah... for an album featuring BTS and Selena Gomez, it seems like it didn't gain a lot of steam? Obviously I'm biased because it's my least favorite Coldplay record and also, if we are to trust metacritic's results, their least critically acclaimed record. The heights of this era really seem to have come from Coloratura, which took the media and critical world by storm, and of course, My Universe given how massive it is.Β 

The question moving forward is whether they will continue with a pre-determined 3 volume plan or if they are shifting their tactics based on the responses to this album. I'm more inclined to believe they have 2 albums ready to drop and more singles to come in 2022 with more features and Max Martin will continue helping producing.

Whilst I agree that they have a few more singles to come in 2022, I completely disagree that this album hasn't gone exactly as they planned. For years now the band haven't particularly cared or paid much attention to how their albums have been received critically (hence the Everyday Life era and the risks they saw themselves taking by releasing that).

Music of the Spheres might not be that well loved by fans but it has received the same critical reaction by fans and most of the media as A Head Full of Dreams did and that album didn't really take off fully until the tour began a little more into the era. Clearly, they have a plan for the next 3 or so years and that has been abundantly clear since the release of Higher Power and then My Universe and some negative press is definitely not going to alter that.Β 

Personally, I can't wait to see how much the album is going to go up in people's estimations when the Tour begins and just to add to that, TikTok has become such a huge influence on the music industry and rather positively, the band seem to be really well received on there (newer and older discography alike). We have a lot to look forward to this year!Β 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

Thoughts on β€œThe Musical album?” Chris said on Ellen Show he hopes it will be a movie musical.

It could either be the coolest thing they have ever done or the worst and there's absolutely no in between...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

Thoughts on β€œThe Musical album?” Chris said on Ellen Show he hopes it will be a movie musical.

Somehow I'm starting to draw more and more connections to this rumoured, but scrapped Wedding Album idea which turned into Mylo Xyloto at that time. This was also supposed to have a video companion to it. So I think this musical idea probably has at least some seeds from Wedding Album. Anyone else thinks that?Β 

Edited by CP-EST
  • Like 3

On 1/25/2022 at 5:56 PM, Clare42 said:

Music of the Spheres might not be that well loved by fans but it has received the same critical reaction by fans and most of the media as A Head Full of Dreams did and that album didn't really take off fully until the tour began a little more into the era.Β 

Not true. For critics AHFOD was mixed to positive while MOTS was mixed to negative and have their worst public score.

Maybe they won't tour in between, especially they won't tour with the musical because it is the film. So, that leaves only one album to tour, as for the last one they will tour cause it is the last album after which they will only tour as Chris has said.Β 

• Like 2

I think they will tour for MOTS project also in 2023, if they can and then the next big tour will probably start in 2026, after the release of album Coldplay.

So this leaves 2024-2025 to finish and release the rest of the "things". I don't see them having tours for whatever they release during between MOTS and Coldplay.

We're not even actually sure how much they will release, at least I'm confused. I'm still thinking that MOTS will have at least one continuation EP, but then they will release three more albums. Just quoting, what Chris said in December to Jo Whiley "we are working on this album Music of the Spheres and THEN we have three more things after that."

So in addition to "musical" and "Coldplay" there might be one more album, which I think might be a collection of unfinished/unreleased and reworked songs, which they have collected over the years.

These are just my guesses, based on the information I have read or heard. I wrote about it in here also:

Β 

https://coldplaying.com/forums/topic/82093-three-more-coldplay-albums-to-come-last-one-in-2025/page/2/#comment-5764096

Β 

9 hours ago, Divutian said:

I'm just confused on how they're gonna release three whole studio albums with respective tours in the span of under four years?

That occurred to me too but they probably won't do a major tour again until 2025/2026 after this one, which will no doubt go on right into 2023 with multiple legs. I'm more concerned about the tight turnaround for three albums in three years and how rushed that feels but I shall remain faithful in their grand plan.Β 

p.s., it's absolutely crazy we're thinking about dates like 2025/2026 because it feels like Ghost Stories only came out yesterdayΒ 

• Wow 1

Hmmmm I'm not sure what to think about all of this. Mylo Xyloto seemed like their best shot at doing a music film, but I don't see them revisiting that era in any meaningful way. Though, we were promised UATW Silver Bird...Β 

I'm just wondering what the musical film would include? Would it be like Beyonce's Lemonade where it's one long music video that's mostly just visual vignettes? Maybe a song/story per planet situation? Or is Chris talking about a literal musical that's a performance that tells a story? Is it live-action? Animated? Is it in the MOTS era or a new era? I have to give them credit I really have no idea what to expect.Β 

I'm overall very open to this, but agree that it could go terribly wrong. Coldplay already attracts criticism and Chris can occasionally be brilliant but he can also be corny. The music needs to be good first and foremost. You can look at many plays that have jsut mediocre stories, but great music saves the day (cough* Hamilton *cough)

So, how are we all feeling about Let Somebody Go as the next single? I do like the idea that it's going to be released around/for Valentines Day but it just seems like too safe an option. Whilst it gained a little traction during album release because of the collaboration with Selena, nearly 4 months later it's not going to have the same impact or radio play.Β 

I would have loved to have seen them take a bit of a risk with People of the Pride (they might still who knows) and really capitalise on the pop/punk resurgence as of late.

Maybe one day...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clare42 said:

So, how are we all feeling about Let Somebody Go as the next single? I do like the idea that it's going to be released around/for Valentines Day but it just seems like too safe an option. Whilst it gained a little traction during album release because of the collaboration with Selena, nearly 4 months later it's not going to have the same impact or radio play.Β 

I would have loved to have seen them take a bit of a risk with People of the Pride (they might still who knows) and really capitalise on the pop/punk resurgence as of late.

Maybe one day...

It was unfortunately expectable and is probably, from a marketing point of view, an understable move to get the Selena target audience onboard (and let's face it, to collab with such a big name and NOT make it a single would probably be a snub to the other artist) but I wish they would have chosen Humankind orΒ People of the Pride instead. I think Let Somebody Go is a weak song musically, and lyrically it's a rehash of Everglow. Especially for a band like Coldplay who has done much, much better ballads all throughout their career, their legacy (and now that they're drawing to a close there are not many more chances left to impact it) would benefit more from unexpected choices and demonstrating their bandwidth.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'd like to think we'll have one more single coming out quite soon, in fact almost together with Let Somebody Go. Either Humankind or People of the Pride. It would be quite similar to Mylo Xyloto. They made Princess of China a radio single on 14th February and also Charlie Brown was released with video and having single status in February-March. It was quite messy with release dates actually, but the point is that usually after 2nd single the release schedule is quite messy and mixed up with different songs in different countries and platforms.

That's what I could think of, because there have been a few similarities with release schedule so far and also between songs. Like Let Somebody Go being Princess of China on MOTS and Humankind being Charlie Brown of MOTS. These songs don't have potential for massive mainstream success, so it would make sense to put Let Somebody Go and Humankind out there to circle together and have videos as well at some point. Anyway, let's see

• Like 1
  • Wow 1