✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

5 hours ago, only.your.imagination said:

I've a question. 

I've had a terrible day and as usual in such cases, I've decided to listen to music to improve a bit my mindset. Now, I've just listened to The Scientist, the official live version in Madrid uploaded on their official YouTube channel. I've noticed that there is now the infinity sign in the corner of the video. So, I've checked other videos (randomly, actually) and the same thing happens. I've not watched their official YouTube videos for a while, so I was wondering, is this sign new and means something? Or was it already there weeks ago, but I didn't notice it?

Been there for a few weeks now, it’s just the symbol they’re using I guess it doesn’t really mean anything 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, only.your.imagination said:

I've a question. 

I've had a terrible day and as usual in such cases, I've decided to listen to music to improve a bit my mindset. Now, I've just listened to The Scientist, the official live version in Madrid uploaded on their official YouTube channel. I've noticed that there is now the infinity sign in the corner of the video. So, I've checked other videos (randomly, actually) and the same thing happens. I've not watched their official YouTube videos for a while, so I was wondering, is this sign new and means something? Or was it already there weeks ago, but I didn't notice it?

Thats a youtube thing where you can put a logo or image in the corner and if you click on it it subscribes you to the channel, nothing special really

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CP-EST said:

Going back to this October post, during the current situation, I can't believe they managed to make such advertisement in Moscow. Some of the music from Everyday Life and MOTS hits differently these days.

Coloratura's lyrics really hit me today...
"And in this crazy world, I do
I just want you..."

And as silly as the lyric “capable of kindness, so they call us humankind” seems to be for some, it’s actually very relevant right now. Humankind needs more kindness so that we won’t have these wars, violence and human suffering. We’re capable of it, but for selfish reasons most choose not to be kind. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Earlier today I listened in to this older live Coldplay show from this YouTube channel called 'Coldplay World', it was during Head Full of Dreams Tour.. when they sang "Up & Up" it struck me pretty hard. Reminds me of the terriable happenings in the world right now.

• Like 5
  • Care 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody notice that in the video for Champion Of The World, the penultimate one in the Everyday Life era (second to the brilliant Trouble In Town video), Chris Martin escapes earth on a rocket, going into a solar system, ending in a scene that's not too much different from the Overtura trailer? These old references to MOTS are more widespread than I'd expected.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

This album was unexpected for a Max Martin production. Because i know the producer for his work with Backstreet Boys, Céline Dion, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Weeknd, etc.. and this album was not expected for this producer and less with Coldplay. Because thier Max Martin sound production was more commercial at the base. But not this. This album was very experimental and so much a album sound like a sountrack to listen of a movie in a space. This album sound not a album formated for hits like the others Max Martin production. This is the album that i wanted to listen the discography of Coldplay (a first of a group) and after listen the rest, i think it's was a very good listen of Music of the Spheres, but some problems with Biutyful (the chikmunks speeding voice of Chris wasn't sound good like in Cry, Cry Cry) and didn't like at all People to the Pride. But Coloratura was the best piece of art of the album. A masterpiece this song and my favorite of the album (i also love Higher Power, Human Kind and Infinity Sign).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now, when tour has been going on for a few weeks, it has sank in that there's probably a few interesting/controversial decisions in setlist.

Coloratura doesn't seem to have a regular spot in setlist. I mean, wtf happened with that? It was their "favourite song to play" (said by Chris word by word) and fans seemed to agree, it's a definite show closer. Now it's played sometimes in the middle of setlist as a shortened version... I don't have a problem with that shortened version and it being played in the middle of setlist. It seemed to work really well, but why is it not regular? Something tragic must have happened. It is a long song, but as a shortened version, there is absolutely no way, it's too long and boring. So, this is a bullshit explanation.

Don't want to be harsh, but in my opinion Let Somebody Go is the song, which definitely doesn't deserve a regular spot on setlist. It's so weak and boring as a Chris solo performance in a big stadium. Everglow seemed to work, LSG doesn't do the same trick. Only trick it does, is people going to bathroom and letting something go. (seems like yesterday's show got Foo Fighters cover instead).

Biutyful became a show closer. After checking a few videos and looking at the flow of this setlist, I actually find this quite good decision for now. It kind of seems to work, as a bright, nice little song after intense and explosive show. + this acoustic guitar sounds so good.

A Wave as an outro tune - this sounds so amazing, whether it's some scrapped idea or something from the possible MOTS vol 2. Lyrics sounded like "Speak in a language without a name. One day we'll meet each other again"? Anyway, it works perfectly when they walk off.

Does anyone think there might be some new MOTS material released soon and appearing in the setlist? I somehow have a feeling, that they might have a few ideas already waiting. For example I predict, Biutyful is song, which gets to be a show closer until they replace it something else.

Overall, MOTS concert seems like AHFOD concert on steroids. The effects, lights and design of the stage is in every way upgrade and looks spectacular. Let's just see how this tour evolves.

Edited by CP-EST
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

Just now, ToniMoreno said:

Its hard to understand that Coloratura doesnt fix in the setlist...

The best song of the new album, something very creative and gets out of the concerts... 😕

Completely agree, don't see the problem. Pink Floyd and Genesis both managed to comfortably slot in long songs to their sets. We really don't need to hear "In My Place", "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face", etc, they've been done to death. "Hymn for The Weekend" can go as well and "Let Somebody Go" really only works as a duet. Losing these would open up plenty of space, everyone wants "Coloratura" so let's have it please. And as this space has been freed up why not have "I Ran Away" as well or something else from leftfield such as Brothers and Sisters, Twisted Logic, etc ! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

To be fair In My Place wasn't played as a full band version for 10 years and 3 eras, and I never got the chance to hear that version so I gladly welcome its addition. Plus crowd reaction and involvement is great so it checks all the boxes of a Coldplay stadium show.

Crowd reactions for LSG also seem to be huge. Shame, this song is boring and the feature is not here. That's the main problem I have with this setlist. A lot of songs involve features that won't be here, and thus, recorded vocals. We have to accept it for MOTS songs, but HFTW? Come on, this song should have stayed in the AHFOD era.

As for Coloratura, I already made my point here but it's just unacceptable, and the more the tour goes on, the more the setlist is worrying.

Edited by VCF
  • Like 5

I’m not normally negative but Coldplay should really apologise to fans for not playing the most loved song from the album of which THEY’RE TOURING!!!

instead they use filler songs like HFTW and In My Place which as much as they are good live have been done to death and should not have returned. 

In saying that, I am hopeful that the US tour will turn things around. Doesn’t anyone find it suspicious that those postponed LA dates means the American leg now starts on the anniversary of HP? As Volume ii nears I think we will be getting new songs to hopefully replace fillers like HFTW and IMP. Human Heart, Let somebody go and Biutyful could be in the firing line too. But for Pete’s sake please keep Coloratura!!! Even if you have to somewhat shorten it it’s better than nothing. 

• Like 4

They also could eliminate the cover songs imo. Tbh there are artists covering Coldplay songs better than Coldplay covering songs from other artists. I'd love to see them covering their own songs and stay close by their roots. I totally agree with you that a song as HFTW doesn't belong in the setlist and stands 'in my place' of the king of MOTS. Hopefully Coloratura (whether shortened or not) will return, especially as member of The Spheres, it definetly deserves any kind of performance. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

They filming something 👀 and is POTP not a single at all?

People of the Pride is not a single, is a promotional single, just like Coloratura. Chris also confirmed it's not a single at all 

Was reflecting recently on Coldplay's career and how MOTS as LP9 fits in, and I kind of came to the conclusion that we're entering a chaotic musical phase for the band. Curious what others think about the next few albums?

Parachutes, AROBTTH, X&Y -- The Oldplay Era, mostly alternative, pop rock and acoustic. 

Viva La Vida -- A transitionary era into a bigger, more colorful and creative Coldplay. 

MX, GS, AHFOD -- Newplay, Coldplay leans more into pop sounds while still maintining interest in alternative experimenets. However, the results are more mixed (in my opinion) The band hits new highs, but also some notable lows. 

Everyday Life -- Another transitionary era. The band leans back into their alternative roots while doing unexpected global collaborations, which hints at...

MOTS Volumes 1 - 3? -- The whatever we want eras. So far, it's been wild. We have prog rock, we have a chipmunk alien song, we have collaborations with BTS and Selena Gomez -- each song on the record sonically is very different than the next. Are we getting three albums of all over the place sounds? 

Coldplay -- Their final album, apparently. Following the pattern, this could be similar to Viva or EL by being more acoustic and down to earth and intimate?

• Like 5
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Was reflecting recently on Coldplay's career and how MOTS as LP9 fits in, and I kind of came to the conclusion that we're entering a chaotic musical phase for the band. Curious what others think about the next few albums?

Parachutes, AROBTTH, X&Y -- The Oldplay Era, mostly alternative, pop rock and acoustic. 

Viva La Vida -- A transitionary era into a bigger, more colorful and creative Coldplay. 

MX, GS, AHFOD -- Newplay, Coldplay leans more into pop sounds while still maintining interest in alternative experimenets. However, the results are more mixed (in my opinion) The band hits new highs, but also some notable lows. 

Everyday Life -- Another transitionary era. The band leans back into their alternative roots while doing unexpected global collaborations, which hints at...

MOTS Volumes 1 - 3? -- The whatever we want eras. So far, it's been wild. We have prog rock, we have a chipmunk alien song, we have collaborations with BTS and Selena Gomez -- each song on the record sonically is very different than the next. Are we getting three albums of all over the place sounds? 

Coldplay -- Their final album, apparently. Following the pattern, this could be similar to Viva or EL by being more acoustic and down to earth and intimate?

Well, it's all subjective how to structure their career, but your view is quite on point, when looking into their sonic evolution.

There is one interesting pattern with their album covers so far. It's a rhythm of one having bright colours and next one having more laid back and pastel colour design. I don't know if it's intentional, but it kind of reflects in the music of respective albums as well somehow.

Looking into future, I agree we might have musically chaotic future ahead of us. Also on the other hand it might not be that chaotic, because they seem to have developed their musical palate close to their maximum potential already.

The facts are:

• there will be musical, which hopefully will have animated movie to it. I don't think it will be that crazy sonically, maybe some cinematic, atmospheric orchestral sound.
  • we are getting album called Coldplay, which will have more acoustic, piano&guitar sound. "Back to basics" like Chris said.

With these LP-s I don't see them using any extravagant production tricks, just what they have done already. But we also know there is going to be in total 12 albums, so in my opinion there just one LP, which has potential for further sonic development of Coldplay. I would say that a little bit depends on what they actually do with this MOTS concept - do they stick to it or have some more concepts before the final album. I'm really not sure if this MOTS concept has enough depth to carry through 3 volumes. I would be a bit disappointed if that's all they can think of until the final album, but I'm happy to be proven wrong with some amazing MOTS volumes.

So I see three potential scenarios:

1. MOTS having just an EP companion soon. A few additional songs to freshen up MOTS tour. And then we have LP10 & LP11, which are not MOTS related, but one of these is musical and one is something interesting...  or maybe it's just a collection of reworked songs and finished old ideas. And then LP12 - Coldplay.
  2. MOTS indeed has two more full LP volumes, with vol 2 sonically a development of vol1 and vol 3 being musical. LP10 - MOTS vol 2, LP11 - MOTS vol3, LP12 - Coldplay.
  3. Just like the second scenario, except MOTS has just one more volume and musical is not part of MOTS.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CP-EST said:

Well, it's all subjective how to structure their career, but your view is quite on point, when looking into their sonic evolution.

There is one interesting pattern with their album covers so far. It's a rhythm of one having bright colours and next one having more laid back and pastel colour design. I don't know if it's intentional, but it kind of reflects in the music of respective albums as well somehow.

Looking into future, I agree we might have musically chaotic future ahead of us. Also on the other hand it might not be that chaotic, because they seem to have developed their musical palate close to their maximum potential already.

The facts are:

• there will be musical, which hopefully will have animated movie to it. I don't think it will be that crazy sonically, maybe some cinematic, atmospheric orchestral sound.
  • we are getting album called Coldplay, which will have more acoustic, piano&guitar sound. "Back to basics" like Chris said.

With these LP-s I don't see them using any extravagant production tricks, just what they have done already. But we also know there is going to be in total 12 albums, so in my opinion there just one LP, which has potential for further sonic development of Coldplay. I would say that a little bit depends on what they actually do with this MOTS concept - do they stick to it or have some more concepts before the final album. I'm really not sure if this MOTS concept has enough depth to carry through 3 volumes. I would be a bit disappointed if that's all they can think of until the final album, but I'm happy to be proven wrong with some amazing MOTS volumes.

So I see three potential scenarios:

1. MOTS having just an EP companion soon. A few additional songs to freshen up MOTS tour. And then we have LP10 & LP11, which are not MOTS related, but one of these is musical and one is something interesting...  or maybe it's just a collection of reworked songs and finished old ideas. And then LP12 - Coldplay.
  2. MOTS indeed has two more full LP volumes, with vol 2 sonically a development of vol1 and vol 3 being musical. LP10 - MOTS vol 2, LP11 - MOTS vol3, LP12 - Coldplay.
  3. Just like the second scenario, except MOTS has just one more volume and musical is not part of MOTS.

100% I believe one of your three scenarios are likely. It'd be really disappointg if they didn't fulfill the "A Musical Journey in Three Parts" Higher Power video promise, but then again, the other parts like you said could be EP's or reworks of older songs. 

The musical is probably the funnest thing to speculate about at this point. I think Coldplay is at their best when they really lean into a concept and don't let their fanciful ideas start mucking up the pacing or sonic consistency of their albums. MOTS is a cool concept, but they kind of interpreted "planets" as being things of their own, unreleated to the others. A musical has to tell a consistent story, so I'm excited to see that framework. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

MOTS is a cool concept, but they kind of interpreted "planets" as being things of their own, unreleated to the others. 

I completely agree, it felt like switching from various television channels to me. Each song was very different from each other.

The Coldplay musical excites me; in my youth I had fond memories of watching The Beatles Yellow Submarine DVD with my Dad. If its anything like that or Interstella 5555: The 5tory Of The 5ecret 5tar 5ystem ...I'll be happy.

• Wow 1