✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[18-09-2020] Coldplay perform LIVE @ iHeartRadio Music Festival 2020

Gideon_Mx

Coldplay @ the iHeartRadio Music Festival 2020: classics or new songs?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Coldplay will add at least 1 brand new song to their setlist for this festival?

It's confirmed by iHeartRadio that Coldplay including other big artists are performing at the iHeartRadio Music Festival for its 10th anniversary!

Coldplay's performance will take place on September 16th at 9PM ET! For people in the U.S. --> their performance will be streamed live on CWTV.com or download The CW app to watch it live when it's happening!

So far Coldplay have done 4 performances at the iHeartRadio Music Festival. To summarize: they have visited in 2011 when they played Mylo Xyloto songs such as Charlie Brown and Every Teardrop  and some classics, in 2014 (Ghost Stories era) when they performed such as Ink and ASFOS and some classics as well, they visited the festival in 2015 to play a bunch of older songs from the previous albums such as Paradise, Fix You and other classics. They didn't include any new material of A Head Full Of Dreams at this set as nothing was yet released. In 2017 they returned to the festival to play a few songs from A Head Full Of Dreams such as Up&Up, Hymn For The Weekend and more. In January 2020 they also gave a performance for iHeartRadio's ALTer EGO where they played songs from Everyday Life, but though this event was organized by iHeartRadio I doubt this one counts as well.

So, I'm really looking forward to their upcoming performance, taking place at September 18th/19th! I do hope they will play some brand new songs, at least one. Songs from Everyday Life would be also great tho. Could this performance possibly mark the beginning of a new Coldplay era?! What does everyone think about this festival? Any thoughts on setlists?

Let's discuss!

For more information read here:

-->

https://www.iheart.com/content/2020-07-21-2020-iheartradio-music-festival-lineup-revealed/

-->

Edited by Gideon_Mx
  • Like 2

• Administrators

This will be an interesting gig. A lot of people’s thought process is that Coldplay were meant to announce an album this year but didn’t because of the pandemic. I wonder if this will be the start of it all, similar to how they played ‘Amazing Day’ at the Global Citizen Festival in New York back in 2015.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, stephen said:

This will be an interesting gig. A lot of people’s thought process is that Coldplay were meant to announce an album this year but didn’t because of the pandemic. I wonder if this will be the start of it all, similar to how they played ‘Amazing Day’ at the Global Citizen Festival in New York back in 2015.

I was thinking about that... Somenone said the other day that MAYBE we can see the new outfits for the upcoming era... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How many songs are they going to perform do you all think? Looking at their previous setlist of an iHeartRadio festival performance in 2017 and other artists' performances they will probably play about 5 songs. Last time they played 7 tho, which was quite a lot, as it's not their show.

I'd love to see the new single being promoted and performed on the same day but.... I doubt they will. Unless they decide to announce something VERY soon or share a teaser with us within 2 weeks and perhaps we'll get a Friday release on the 28th (unlikely, but you'll never know) of this month, the 4th or 11th of September ! :awesome:

Edited by Gideon_Mx

1 hour ago, Gideon_Mx said:

How many songs are they going to perform do you all think? Looking at their previous setlist of an iHeartRadio festival performance in 2017 and other artists' performances they will probably play about 5 songs. Last time they played 7 tho, which was quite a lot, as it's not their show.

I'd love to see the new single being promoted and performed on the same day but.... I doubt they will. Unless they decide to announce something VERY soon or share a teaser with us within 2 weeks and perhaps we'll get a Friday release on the 28th (unlikely, but you'll never know) of this month, the 4th or 11th of September ! :awesome:

my bet is that they're just gonna play the hits and call it a day.

• Like 1

My gut feeling is that they wouldn’t have bothered with the concert if they were just going to solely play the hits they’ve played to death before. When global citizen got cancelled it seems like the Coldplay team has rushed to book another gig for September. They MUST be trying to promote something!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

12 hours ago, GamingForeverAUS said:

my bet is that they're just gonna play the hits and call it a day.

Yeah, you might be right.

I love to see them performing Paradise or Fix You (again) but I believe it would be a missed opportunity if they only just play the old hits instead of a brand new song. It's a BIG festival, many people will be watching.

Edited by Gideon_Mx

I'm feeling pretty iffy on whether they play new music but i hope I'm wrong. As the OP outlines, they don't always perform new music in-between eras, and audiences will be plenty happy seeing them return to their biggest hits for 30 mins, and maybe including Orphans or COTW for recency. 

At the bare minimum tho, this does signal an "awakening" post EL. It'd make huge headlines if they performed new music, but their presence at one of the few music festivals happening will be enough publicity if they intend on re-emerging with a new era by the end of the year. IMO, they'll likely have hints to the LP9 era on stage -- outfits, symbols, color palette, etc. I remember in 2015 when Chris wore the AHFOD era clothes and they had flowers all over stage and Coldplay written in Hindi, and none of us knew what exactly that meant. 

Imagine how exciting it would be if Will's drum has mars on it and the graphics are of stars and planets and Chris' guitar has UFO drawings all over it. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

I'm feeling pretty iffy on whether they play new music but i hope I'm wrong. As the OP outlines, they don't always perform new music in-between eras, and audiences will be plenty happy seeing them return to their biggest hits for 30 mins, and maybe including Orphans or COTW for recency. 

At the bare minimum tho, this does signal an "awakening" post EL. It'd make huge headlines if they performed new music, but their presence at one of the few music festivals happening will be enough publicity if they intend on re-emerging with a new era by the end of the year. IMO, they'll likely have hints to the LP9 era on stage -- outfits, symbols, color palette, etc. I remember in 2015 when Chris wore the AHFOD era clothes and they had flowers all over stage and Coldplay written in Hindi, and none of us knew what exactly that meant. 

Imagine how exciting it would be if Will's drum has mars on it and the graphics are of stars and planets and Chris' guitar has UFO drawings all over it. 

they should go all out on the space theme and record their set in area 51 with them aliens dancing around them.

• Haha 3

They don't necessarily have to play a new song to symbolize a new era.  This could easily be similar to their 2015 iHeart Radio appearance.  If they perform in regular stage black with nothing special on their instruments, then a new album may not be coming as soon as we're hoping.  If they perform in a new wardrobe, or something interesting on their instruments, then a new record is right around the corner.  I don't personally think we'll get a new song (I really, really, hope I'm wrong), but I do think there will be hints towards the new era on stage with them.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys roughly one week to go. I found a few social feeds we can keep an eye on the next week while we look for any sign of the band. Mainly Just producers, but we should also keep an eye on the Instagram geotag for [iHeartRadio Theater Los Angeles]

Geotag: https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1032134740/iheartradio-theater-los-angeles/
Tom Poleman: 

another profile: 

• Like 4

Something will be teased. There have been too many rumors, teases, and now essentially confirmation from Phil Harvey over twitter that stuff is happening. Plus, ColdplayCorner posts some cryptic moon phase emojis a few weeks back... they did the same in 2019 before everyday life. Looking forward to seeing them perform live, regardless. If they didn't have something to sell soon, I have no clue why they'd say yes to playing this festival... the lineup is pretty b-tier already.

• Like 2