✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Track 12 - Coloratura | Music of the Spheres

3 hours ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

If only you all had this much love for ASFOS/Ink like with Coloratura. I’d be very happy ?

A Sky Full of Stars and Ink are great pop songs, especially Ink, which is my second favorite from the album. But sonically, lyrically, and instrumentally Coloratura is far better. Hell, I'd even say it's in their top three of all time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I haven't been posting for a long time but I just couldn't help it. Coloratura is simply GENIUS.
Everytime a new song is released it's so exciting to listen to for the first time. But this time I was astonished like no other, it gave me chills...the opening of the song is like a symphonic orchestra tuning. Amazing build up, great production, doesn't feel like a 10min song. I don't think anyone here only listened to it once. It's on repeat for days! It's like a journey through time in the Coldplay universe. It sums up everything they are and everything they've become through 25 years of evolution. The true essence of Coldplay, an Ode to Music. I feel that their 9th LP is gonna be so epic like Beethoven's 9th! Can't wait ?

?

Edited by Alice42
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 7/25/2021 at 10:34 AM, jphantom said:

Does anyone know the meaning behind coloratura? It feels like it’s about someone who is in love with the idea and feels the need to go explore the universe but with today’s technology restraints they can’t do that and for now all they have is that person they love on the planet they’re on. What does everyone think?

That's an interesting thought! Reminds me of a line from Blur's Under the Westway: 

"Bring us the day they switch off the machines
'Cause men in yellow jackets putting adverts inside my dreams
An automated song and the whole world gone
Fallen under the spell of the distance between us when we communicate"

My personal theory is that the song is about a utopian world that is welcoming of refugees/space travelers but buried inside a love song / "whoa space is so cool" theme.

Everyone before is WELCOMING us now
-The US is particularly a place that was built on colonialism and immigrants, so it should welcome current immigrants and refugees

the end of death and doubt 
-in reference to refugees the majority of whom are escaping war

"everyone's allowed"
-again speaking of welcoming people regardless of national origin, LGBT status, gender identity, race, etc

Pluribus unum, unus mundus
Likely a reference to the US slogan "e pluribus unum", ie many united as one. Likely an ironic reference since the US is objectively bad at completing upon this slogan's promise (based on its poor immigration/refugee policies, violence against people of colour/immigrants). Unus mundus is the aspiration of the UN, for which Chris is quite involved due to Global Citizen. 

Overall, I think for some immigrants/refugees, arriving in a new country where you're safe means escaping death yet also feeling like you're in heaven because of being safe. Obviously it's not that simple for many refugees in real life, but indeed this is my theory - that Coloratura imagines a world where we end conflict and are super accepting of anyone who shows up on our doorstep. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/26/2021 at 4:12 PM, Alice42 said:

I haven't been posting for a long time but I just couldn't help it. Coloratura is simply GENIUS.
Everytime a new song is released it's so exciting to listen to for the first time. But this time I was astonished like no other, it gave me chills...the opening of the song is like a symphonic orchestra tuning. Amazing build up, great production, doesn't feel like a 10min song. I don't think anyone here only listened to it once. It's on repeat for days! It's like a journey through time in the Coldplay universe. It sums up everything they are and everything they've become through 25 years of evolution. The true essence of Coldplay, an Ode to Music. I feel that their 9th LP is gonna be so epic like Beethoven's 9th! Can't wait ?

?

Listen to it at least 5 times per day, can't get enough of the song. It has all these different little elements.

Edited by Famous_Old_Painter

Any ideas, when we might get to see this song performed live?

Anyone knows what was the not broadcasted secret song they performed for BBC Big Weekend? From the interview with Greg James it seems like at the end of the set they were going to play some new song instead of Life Is For Living. I'm just wondering if it was Coloratura and if will be able to see it anytime. 

It will be exciting to see, how it's arranged for live performance and of course hear some bits from Jonny higher up in mix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarkovsky2 said:

I'm pretty sure they played My universe, based on the way they talk about it.

Okay, I didn't get that feeling though. For me there is no way My Universe is Will's favourite song of these new ones and I can't see anything about My Universe, what makes them say like it's special and very different.

In the Apple Music interview from a couple of months ago Chris was talking about HP and he made it sound like they/Will thought it was AMAZING, like it was going to be the next VLV. And what else would they say in an interview? "The other song that we performed today will be our next single. It's generic af, please stream it everybody"? 

Having said that, thematically Coloratura would fit in really well with the scenery so I hope it was that one. ?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LisaFeehily said:

In the Apple Music interview from a couple of months ago Chris was talking about HP and he made it sound like they/Will thought it was AMAZING, like it was going to be the next VLV. And what else would they say in an interview? "The other song that we performed today will be our next single. It's generic af, please stream it everybody"? 

Having said that, thematically Coloratura would fit in really well with the scenery so I hope it was that one. ?  

Do you have the link/timestamp?

2 hours ago, LisaFeehily said:

That's right. For Coldplay doing a K POP song is different thing, and i asumme they love the song

2 hours ago, CP-EST said:

Okay, I didn't get that feeling though. For me there is no way My Universe is Will's favourite song of these new ones and I can't see anything about My Universe, what makes them say like it's special and very different.

Maybe you are right, maybe they performed that one to release it to fill the marketing gap to september.

I think the song has good and weak moments. 

The lyrics arent really intresting, but the instrumentation has some good moments. Ofcourse its fun they make a 10minute track, but i thought it would be better then this.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

I'm sure this guy has been mentioned here before. He may even be a member of this site, I don't know. But he has a whole piano playlist of most of Coldplay's material and he always kills it. Here's his piano cover of Coloratura and it's pretty brilliant....

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

Haven't seen a review with less than 3 stars for the song yet, most of them give it a 4/5. Even on RYM it has 3,8 from 500+ reviews and a lot of haters on there. It's unusual for me to see a Coldplay song get these good reviews and scores nowadays.

First bolded Coldplay song since Clocks! Although hopefully Strawberry Swing gets bolded as well. Though its rating is the highest among any Coldplay song there, there's still people giving it 0.5-2 stars purely out of the fact that it's Coldplay.

• Like 2

I am really in awe that they have released these isolated tracks - usually very private and behind the scenes, hearing Jonny’s solo isolated is a thing of beauty as were the other three parts too. 
I am so excited for this album!!!!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Jonny's guitar tone in Coloratura is just so gorgeous and it's even easier to tell with this isolated track. He may not be a technical virtuoso, but he's one of those guitarists like The Edge who is just so good at creating such a beautiful guitar tone. And it does wonders for Coldplay's sound.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

18 hours ago, Captain Crieff said:

:dazzled:

I'm over the moon that they posted this. Really increased my enjoyment of the song in a few ways!

-Jonny: you can hear the "mistake" in the guitar solo. You can tell it's not just 1 guitar track duplicated but actually 2 separate guitar recordings superimposed. Towards the end of the solo there's a discrepancy where 2 different notes sound, and one of them sounds sort of incorrect, but weirdly works in the song in context anyways.

-Will: he sounds GREAT. The effects on his voice are interesting...it sounds a bit like chorus effect, or perhaps his voice duplicated but with an extremely short delay (which is actually basically how chorus effects work, though some chorus effects also detune the other "voices"). Sounds a little odd on its own but totally works in context of the song to add a lot of texture and stand up against Chris's vocals.  I also enjoy they just left in those huge pauses between the "oh's." Something is very charming about that. 

-Guy: I hadn't realized there was that much bass after the first chorus, but it's there, and it's a good line, especially those little melodic fills. Takes me back to that one VLV-era auction video, "this guitar plays ALL the notes!" 

On 7/28/2021 at 7:42 AM, CP-EST said:

Any ideas, when we might get to see this song performed live?

Anyone knows what was the not broadcasted secret song they performed for BBC Big Weekend? From the interview with Greg James it seems like at the end of the set they were going to play some new song instead of Life Is For Living. I'm just wondering if it was Coloratura and if will be able to see it anytime. 

It will be exciting to see, how it's arranged for live performance and of course hear some bits from Jonny higher up in mix.

I anxiously await this as well. ?

In terms of marketing My Universe makes the most sense, but indeed the setting makes a lot of sense for Coloratura. Projecting the lyric video on those abbey walls would be SO PICTURESQUE. To be honest I'm a little worried Coloratura is too free-form to realistically perform as a regular tour song, but Big Weekend would've been a good time to record without the pressure of an audience watching your every move. But I also suppose a click track/backing track plus paying attention to Will might let them execute it, or perhaps chopping out certain parts and doing a short version OR doing a mashup with another song. Lots of possibilities. 

Otherwise, I share your curiosity about about how the song would sound with an orchestra backing them VS just the 4 of them and some light strings on the backing track, and perhaps Jonny takes up more of the string parts on guitar which there's a precedent for - if you dig up live performances of Yes, Mylo Xyloto, Paradise, and Oceans, these are all examples of songs with heavy string parts that Jonny replicates/doubles/takes over on electric guitar or plays on the keyboard or both. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• stephen changed the title to Track 12 - Coloratura | Music of the Spheres
  • stephen pinned, unpinned and featured this topic