✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate the latest movie you've seen

*Justine*

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, interesting. For a guy who made his fortune on oil well drill bits, he did all right in some of his other ventures, but a movie about well drilling equipment just wouldn't be all that exciting - a little too real, a little too dull, even though they're diamond studded. Good think they went with his aviation interests. ;)

His father Howard Hughes Snr made the fortune from drill bits, I'm sure Jnr was involved as he grew into an adult but clearly it wasn't quite as exciting a lifestyle as directing films and aviation, which occupied all of his time and which the film is based on.

His father Howard Hughes Snr made the fortune from drill bits, I'm sure Jnr was involved as he grew into an adult but clearly it wasn't quite as exciting a lifestyle as directing films and aviation, which occupied all of his time and which the film is based on.

Yes you're right, I forgot that he inherited the tool business, it was the thing that always made him money, and he had others running it (I would imagine whilst he chased the babes from the silver screen). Yes, I recall the Playboy article on Howard Jr, he did a good amount of directing, don't recall the films being all that successful though. I think when the Senate ran him through the mill, perhaps that wore him down a lot. Quite a few hospital ships built during the war years, someone said that was one of his biggest successes in terms of wealth.

Anyhow, concrete ships and drill bits built the Hughes Empire, plus a few aircraft and helicopters and films and such, and without a doubt he's a fascinating individual, and if I get the chance, I'll check out the film.

Yes you're right, I forgot that he inherited the tool business, it was the thing that always made him money, and he had others running it (I would imagine whilst he chased the babes from the silver screen). Yes, I recall the Playboy article on Howard Jr, he did a good amount of directing, don't recall the films being all that successful though. I think when the Senate ran him through the mill, perhaps that wore him down a lot. Quite a few hospital ships built during the war years, someone said that was one of his biggest successes in terms of wealth.

Anyhow, concrete ships and drill bits built the Hughes Empire, plus a few aircraft and helicopters and films and such, and without a doubt he's a fascinating individual, and if I get the chance, I'll check out the film.

Well make no mistake about it, whether he had a huge amount to do with it or not, Hughes Jnr was indeed the owner of the company when it propelled his fortune to being the richest man in the world, though the market had already been made a monopoly from his fathers success. So you could still say that's how he built his fortune, though the foundations were already there as he already had a considerable fortune.

His films were initially unsuccessful and although it may have taken a decade or two, most of them made a considerable profit, Hell's Angels for example was arguably the most expensive film ever (Debatable but it and Ben Hur were way ahead of other productions) and bombed at first, but eventually made 100% profit.

The Filth and the Fury (Documentary on Sex Pistols) 8/10, brilliantly put together and I despised that band, it's actually totally changed my rather ignorant scope on them as people (Especially Johnny Rotten).

The Runaways 7/10, this would be a point higher but Dakota Fanning as the lead kinda ruins it. She doesn't do a bad acting job or anything she is just totally wrong for the part (You'll know what I mean if you've seen it) and a lot of the time doesn't look like she should be there, the band were all 16 but she was the only one who seemed it, the bandmates therefore just seemed much older, putting her out of place. Kristen (Kirsten?) Stewart was very good, which surprised me because even though I've never seen her in a film all I've heard was bad, bad things about her acting.

The Lord of the Ring Trilogy - 9/10 I love these movies, but I can't give them a 10 because they're not perfect. After reading the books, I've noticed some parts that they changed that they didn't need to...and that makes me kind of sad. I wish they would have shown more of Eowyn and Faramir's love story and less of Aragorn and Arwen's.

I know what you mean, I felt the same way when a movie came out about Arthurian legend, as it changed the story around quite a lot and focused more on characters that played lesser roles in the original tales, but perhaps since they are tales it's a matter of poetic license, and who's to say? Red is grey and yellow white, but we decide which is right, and which is an illusion?..