✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Gwyneth...

Katharina

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ContactMusic.com

A top Hollywood child psychotherapist has reprimanded Gwyneth Paltrow for giving in to her young daughter's demands for pierced ears, insisting she's setting herself up for a bigger fight the next time Apple wants something her mother disapproves of.

Paltrow recently revealed she allowed her daughter to get her ears pierced when she turned five after the youngster pestered her famous parents for three years.

The actress and her rocker husband Chris Martin initially refused but caved in when little Apple asked mum why her Spanish friends were allowed to wear studs - and she wasn't.

Paltrow said, "Our nanny is Spanish, so the kids both speak Spanish and are very much connected to the Spanish culture, and in Spain little girls get their ears pierced when they're born. Apple would see little Spanish girls and says, 'Why can't I have my ears pierced too.' When she was five we let her have her ears pierced."

But Dr. Fran Walfish insists Paltrow may have have created a monster by giving in to her daughter's demands.

She tells WENN, "Giving in to your toddler or youngster's demands may be reinforcing the very thing you want to get rid of. You are inadvertently teaching your child to fight you longer and harder next time. Parents must create a structure with clear boundaries that reflect their personal family values."

Dr. Walfish, the author of The Self-Aware Parent, has also taken aim at Paltrow's cultural argument, adding, "I understand the Spanish culture where, in Spain, little girls get their ears pierced when they're born. But the Paltrow/Martin family is American/British and it's perfectly OK for them to hold to their initial decision to not have their daughter's ears pieced.

"It is very important for young children to understand who compiles their family unit. The nanny is an employee who could leave her job abruptly if her personal circumstances change or she's offered a better opportunity. Parents need to define what is comfortable to them and stick to it.

"From everything I have seen and read, Gwyneth Paltrow is a good mom. But how she can or cannot be swayed by the power of her child's demands at the young age of five sets the standard for what she can expect during the turbulent teen years."

Haaaa, she gave into her oldest child last year, but he had to wait until he was 33:P

my mother was 40 years old has ears pierced and my sister 8 years old and I do not like the earrings so I have not. because it is our decisions personal .

off thread mother's best friend is Spanish.

and Neither don't see anything wrong with piercing sweetie daughter of Chris & Gwyneth, and Apple who wants true ?

plus it's not as distorted growth after .

but a Hollywood psychiatrist who likes disocier cultures and races and makes it a perfect racist, not live in the same world.

the parents learning to her children the culture of others countries and sharing of cultures is the true parents and the best of educations for her children.

Ridiculous. Just because they allowed Apple to pierce her ears does not necessarily mean they will cave on every issue. Truth is, pierced ears at 5 is not totally not out of the realm of reason. As mentioned, it's very commonplace in some cultures. Now, if they continue to cave to any tantrum, they will have problems. But there's also something to be said about teaching your kids that each event stands alone and some times the answer is "yes," and sometimes it's "no."

If parents want the child have earrings and agrees this is not a problem... But if the child requires and that the parent gives in, it's not good to give in to whims!

5 years old, it's my years when I got pierced ears... But not because I required, it was because my parents wanted and I said "Yes" :laugh3:

They let her pierce her ears, they didn't buy her airplane. Goood, newspapers can be really dumb sometimes. And child psychotherapists also. They make everything soooo important. Wow piercing your ears. My parents let me pierce mine when I was 5 too. Then when I was 11 I stopped wearing them and the sink grew over the hole. Then when I was 19 I pierced them again. Its not like she wanted a tattoo on her forehead.

They let her pierce her ears, they didn't buy her airplane. Goood, newspapers can be really dumb sometimes. And child psychotherapists also. They make everything soooo important. Wow piercing your ears. My parents let me pierce mine when I was 5 too. Then when I was 11 I stopped wearing them and the sink grew over the hole. Then when I was 19 I pierced them again. Its not like she wanted a tattoo on her forehead.

I think the point that the article was trying to say is that they made a bad choice "giving" in to her, if it's ears this time, because she pouted and pitched a fit, what will they have to deal with later on down the road. Personally I couldn't give a flying flip how the Martin/Paltrow raise their kids, they seem like well adjusted children to me:cool:

she was really excited about glaston :D

yeah she tweeted a lot about it : :p

GwynethPaltrow Gwyneth Paltrow

Back f'ing stage at glasto! 40 mins til coldplay. elbow rocking it.

http://say.ly/nPtrMA

My man is about to go H.A.M.

http://say.ly/MEMrNC

It was all yellow http://say.ly/oqNrNE

A comment below her tweet says "Hard as a motherfucker"

LOL

It's true!!!

H•A•M" is a single by Kanye West and Jay-Z. Originally intended to be released on their collaboration Watch The Throne, the song has since been dropped from the album[1]. It debuted at #23 on the US Billboard Hot 100. The acronym H.A.M. stands for "Hard As a Motherfucker."[2] It was released as a digital download on iTunes on January 11, 2011.[3] It was released to US urban radio stations on January 25, 2011.[4][not in citation given]