✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

Notes from the Coldplay Marathon broadcast on Sunday 10 July 2016 on Danish radio station P7 Mix:

Introduction of the Coldplay members.

William Champion / Will. Will’s parents were both archaeologists. Will’s mother died just before the making of the Yellow video. For a few days Will was no longer member of Coldplay, because Chris had thrown him out, but he soon had to take him back. According to Chris, Will is sporty. Will mentioned that the band almost broke up at some point due to competitive table tennis. They always play a lot of table tennis on tour. But they all want to win so they have had to give up counting points to avoid bad mood.

Jonathan “Jonny” Buckland. He loves football, following Tottenham.

Guy Rupert Berryman. He has been in a Genesis cover band. He is involved in “Apparatchik” with frontman from Danish Mew and with a prominent A-ha member.

Christopher Anthony John Martin / Chris. A male relative of his was with success speaking in favour of introducing summertime in the UK. Chris’s mother was the first European or English lady to sail down the Amazonas alone.

Chris talked about the Coldplay members’ good chemistry. They are not the best musicians and not making the best songs / music, but they are a unique mix of characters.

The band members were asked about their idols / musical inspiration :

Will: Tom Waits and Nick Cave.

Jonny: Soul, r ‘n b

Guy: Funk, James Brown, Kool and the Gang

Chris: A-Ha (Hunting High and Low played) - and U2

They were asked to pick a Coldplay song and the reason for picking that song:

Will: Clocks, because it is a strong melody. The keyboard part is recognizable. It is a very successful song first time played at Glastonbury Festival in 2002 with massive laser / big production.

Jonny: Up and Up, because his guitar hero (since he was about 16 years old) Noel Gallagher is playing on it. He also likes the lyrics. It is a dream coming true.

Guy: Yellow (from their first studio album “Parachutes” and their first big hit single). Coldplay went from being an unknown to a known band in the UK and soon also abroad. A nice melody and a wonderful time for the band around the time when “Yellow” was released.

Chris: A Head Full of Dreams. It is the opening song he has always dreamed of. It is about chemistry, togetherness (children / world) and all kinds of love. Everything is possible. All songs making it to the album are special to Chris having been accepted by Will, Jonny, Guy, Dave Holmes (their manager), Phil Harvey (the 5th member).

Chris: It felt good to work with Norwegian Stargate. He had heard “What did the fox say” – produced by Stargate. Will said that he learned a lot from the cooperation with Stargate – about freedom and that everything is possible. Stargate assisted Coldplay on “Birds”.

There was an interview with Davide Rossi. “Rainy Day” was played – lots of strings arranged by Davide Rossi. The strings on Viva la Vida were inspired by the strings on “Rainy Day”. Rhytm was from East Europe including Romania – it was like a beat.

P7 Mix had been allowed to play a wonderful version of Viva la Vida with only Chris’s voice and the many strings all arranged and played by Davide Rossi. This version was the so-called backbone of the song. That version was close to the final one – only drums and basslines plus bell had to be added.

Davide Rossi is Italian, but living in Denmark. He has worked with / is working with Danish Goldfrapp, English Dido and Duran, Duran and supplying Coldplay with string arrangements.

He was on stage with Coldplay for Viva la Vida on Wednesday, 6 July 2016.

Davide Rossi: Coldplay is not a one-man-band, even though many people think so. But Chris cannot do it alone. Like Rolling Stones and U2, the frontman needs the other members. Chris Martin is working hard and not only from 9 to 5 like the other 3 members. He often comes very early and leaves late. The other members arrive to do their part / bit and then leave again. Each member finds his role. The band & music has first priority (not the Coldplay members).

CM is very driven / inspiring and the one creating most songs / melodies.

CM is a friend of Frank Healy’s, Travis’s frontman. When Coldplay was quite new in the business, his friend distributed copies of “Yellow” thus promoting his friend and his band.

Snow Patrol was touring with Coldplay in 2009 on their Viva la Vida tour and is inspired by Coldplay. “Chasing Cars” was played.

In 2010 British Royal Mail issued a series of stamps with album covers including Coldplay’s A Rush of Blood to the Head.

A Danish musician Steffen Brandt about Coldplay: He had been to a Coldplay concert in Herning – a Danish town on 16 August 2009. When leaving the concert venue, most concert-goers received a free CD with Coldplay. That was totally good style. Those having to leave by car had a long time waiting ahead, and then it was nice to listen to music / the CD prolonging the feeling of community and togetherness while sitting in the car waiting for an opportunity to leave.

When playing Violet Hill the female host said that Violet Hill could be downloaded for free the first week after its release in 2008. That first week it stormed the charts.

A Danish musician Peter Bjørnskov praises Chris’s way of singing. Coldplay songs often ending in an unexpected way / on an unexpected note.

Chris said that “Magic” came about in a jam session involving all Coldplay members.

Crests of Waves is B side of Speed of Sound single from 2005.

They talked about Coldplay’s and Chris’s activism. Involved in Make Trade Fair / Amnesty / Live Aid.

Coldplay sold clothes and gold discs – proceeds going to charity.

At some point they played “Cemeteries of London”. That song reminds Guy of London in the old days around 1860 on a rainy day.

Till Kingdom Come: This song was meant to be a duet with Johnny Cash, but Johnny Cash was too ill and soon died. So the duet was not meant to be.

Everything is not lost: The last song on “Parachutes”. It was inspired by Blur’s song “Tender” and by an Oasis song.

“Talk” was played. There are 2 versions of this song – the official one and a leaked one with quite different lyrics.

It is well-known that “Fix You” was written for Gwyneth Paltrow whose father had just died when “Fix You” was created. Also “Swallowed” in the Sea” was for GP’s late father Bruce Paltrow.

Chris Martin has written the melody and lyrics for Nelly Furtado’s hit (around 2006) “Why Do All Good Things Come to an End”? A snippet – like 4 seconds - of this song with only Chris singing was played.

Listeners could go to Facebook and write to the P7 Mix hosts. A male concert-goes was at one of the w concerts in Copenhagen with his 20-year-old daughter. Not only had he his wristband on, but also an expensive watch. During one of the biggest songs he was hopping and dancing so much that his expensive watch flew off his wrist and into the crowd. He wrote that losing his expensive watch apparently was a sacrifice he had to make.

• Like 12

Notes from the Coldplay Marathon broadcast on Sunday 10 July 2016 on Danish radio station P7 Mix:

Introduction of the Coldplay members.

William Champion / Will. Will’s parents were both archaeologists. Will’s mother died just before the making of the Yellow video. For a few days Will was no longer member of Coldplay, because Chris had thrown him out, but he soon had to take him back. According to Chris, Will is sporty. Will mentioned that the band almost broke up at some point due to competitive table tennis. They always play a lot of table tennis on tour. But they all want to win so they have had to give up counting points to avoid bad mood.

Jonathan “Jonny” Buckland. He loves football, following Tottenham.

Guy Rupert Berryman. He has been in a Genesis cover band. He is involved in “Apparatchik” with frontman from Danish Mew and with a prominent A-ha member.

Christopher Anthony John Martin / Chris. A male relative of his was with success speaking in favour of introducing summertime in the UK. Chris’s mother was the first European or English lady to sail down the Amazonas alone.

Chris talked about the Coldplay members’ good chemistry. They are not the best musicians and not making the best songs / music, but they are a unique mix of characters.

The band members were asked about their idols / musical inspiration :

Will: Tom Waits and Nick Cave.

Jonny: Soul, r ‘n b

Guy: Funk, James Brown, Kool and the Gang

Chris: A-Ha (Hunting High and Low played) - and U2

They were asked to pick a Coldplay song and the reason for picking that song:

Will: Clocks, because it is a strong melody. The keyboard part is recognizable. It is a very successful song first time played at Glastonbury Festival in 2002 with massive laser / big production.

Jonny: Up and Up, because his guitar hero (since he was about 16 years old) Noel Gallagher is playing on it. He also likes the lyrics. It is a dream coming true.

Guy: Yellow (from their first studio album “Parachutes” and their first big hit single). Coldplay went from being an unknown to a known band in the UK and soon also abroad. A nice melody and a wonderful time for the band around the time when “Yellow” was released.

Chris: A Head Full of Dreams. It is the opening song he has always dreamed of. It is about chemistry, togetherness (children / world) and all kinds of love. Everything is possible. All songs making it to the album are special to Chris having been accepted by Will, Jonny, Guy, Dave Holmes (their manager), Phil Harvey (the 5th member).

Chris: It felt good to work with Norwegian Stargate. He had heard “What did the fox say” – produced by Stargate. Will said that he learned a lot from the cooperation with Stargate – about freedom and that everything is possible. Stargate assisted Coldplay on “Birds”.

There was an interview with Davide Rossi. “Rainy Day” was played – lots of strings arranged by Davide Rossi. The strings on Viva la Vida were inspired by the strings on “Rainy Day”. Rhytm was from East Europe including Romania – it was like a beat.

P7 Mix had been allowed to play a wonderful version of Viva la Vida with only Chris’s voice and the many strings all arranged and played by Davide Rossi. This version was the so-called backbone of the song. That version was close to the final one – only drums and basslines plus bell had to be added.

Davide Rossi is Italian, but living in Denmark. He has worked with / is working with Danish Goldfrapp, English Dido and Duran, Duran and supplying Coldplay with string arrangements.

He was on stage with Coldplay for Viva la Vida on Wednesday, 6 July 2016.

Davide Rossi: Coldplay is not a one-man-band, even though many people think so. But Chris cannot do it alone. Like Rolling Stones and U2, the frontman needs the other members. Chris Martin is working hard and not only from 9 to 5 like the other 3 members. He often comes very early and leaves late. The other members arrive to do their part / bit and then leave again. Each member finds his role. The band & music has first priority (not the Coldplay members).

CM is very driven / inspiring and the one creating most songs / melodies.

CM is a friend of Frank Healy’s, Travis’s frontman. When Coldplay was quite new in the business, his friend distributed copies of “Yellow” thus promoting his friend and his band.

Snow Patrol was touring with Coldplay in 2009 on their Viva la Vida tour and is inspired by Coldplay. “Chasing Cars” was played.

In 2010 British Royal Mail issued a series of stamps with album covers including Coldplay’s A Rush of Blood to the Head.

A Danish musician Steffen Brandt about Coldplay: He had been to a Coldplay concert in Herning – a Danish town on 16 August 2009. When leaving the concert venue, most concert-goers received a free CD with Coldplay. That was totally good style. Those having to leave by car had a long time waiting ahead, and then it was nice to listen to music / the CD prolonging the feeling of community and togetherness while sitting in the car waiting for an opportunity to leave.

When playing Violet Hill the female host said that Violet Hill could be downloaded for free the first week after its release in 2008. That first week it stormed the charts.

A Danish musician Peter Bjørnskov praises Chris’s way of singing. Coldplay songs often ending in an unexpected way / on an unexpected note.

Chris said that “Magic” came about in a jam session involving all Coldplay members.

Crests of Waves is B side of Speed of Sound single from 2005.

They talked about Coldplay’s and Chris’s activism. Involved in Make Trade Fair / Amnesty / Live Aid.

Coldplay sold clothes and gold discs – proceeds going to charity.

At some point they played “Cemeteries of London”. That song reminds Guy of London in the old days around 1860 on a rainy day.

Till Kingdom Come: This song was meant to be a duet with Johnny Cash, but Johnny Cash was too ill and soon died. So the duet was not meant to be.

Everything is not lost: The last song on “Parachutes”. It was inspired by Blur’s song “Tender” and by an Oasis song.

“Talk” was played. There are 2 versions of this song – the official one and a leaked one with quite different lyrics.

It is well-known that “Fix You” was written for Gwyneth Paltrow whose father had just died when “Fix You” was created. Also “Swallowed” in the Sea” was for GP’s late father Bruce Paltrow.

Chris Martin has written the melody and lyrics for Nelly Furtado’s hit (around 2006) “Why Do All Good Things Come to an End”? A snippet – like 4 seconds - of this song with only Chris singing was played.

Listeners could go to Facebook and write to the P7 Mix hosts. A male concert-goes was at one of the w concerts in Copenhagen with his 20-year-old daughter. Not only had he his wristband on, but also an expensive watch. During one of the biggest songs he was hopping and dancing so much that his expensive watch flew off his wrist and into the crowd. He wrote that losing his expensive watch apparently was a sacrifice he had to make.

Nice summary, thank you !! :)

But Crests Of Waves on Speed of Sound...err, no :D

For our class, we needed a harmonica- so today was the first time I've gotten to try a harmonica. As usual, my Coldplay instincts kicked in and I attempted to play Don't Panic; I didn't quite get it but I got the song stuck in my head as a result :laugh3:

• Like 2

Guest diogo_sg
[MEDIA=instagram]BHujUMVjq3o[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://instagram.com/p/BHujUMVjq3o/

I just read through the description and I hope the #believeinloveproject could become something much bigger

It sometimes makes me tear up a little on how pure the fandom could be at times lol

This is a really nice project. I definitely hope it becomes bigger. I'll start using the hashtag from now on in my Instagram posts [emoji5]

What I remember from the Coldplay Marathon Mix:

They talked about an early Coldplay song called "Panic" inspired by an unfortunate date Chris once had. I read about it somewhere (maybe in this thread): Chris had made her a salad that was not good, and he panicked. Later Chris changed the song's name to Don't Panic (and I am 99 per cent sure that this song is on their first studio album "Parachutes").

There was another song - "Shiver". The inspiration to that song was a particular girl. Rumours had it that this girl was Natalie Imbruglia, but it had never been confirmed. Last Tuesday, i.e. 5 July in Telia Park in Copenhagen, "Shiver" was played, and Chris Martin said that this song was about a lady who was present at the concert in Telia Park on 5 July. The male Coldplay Marathon host checked Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. He found out that Natalie Imbruglia had posted a picture from Telia Park with Coldplay and the balloons etc. That was seen as a confirmation of Natalie Imbruglia being the lady on CM's mind when he wrote "Shiver".

[MEDIA=instagram]BHg7RFOgUX1[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHg7RFOgUX1/

[emoji44]

• Like 4

Do you know what I always think when I watch concert footage ? Those security people who stand with their back to the stage and face the crowds must have the saddest job in the stadium. Imagine hearing Coldplay perform for hours on end, but never once being allowed to turn around and actually see them.

Did this thought cross anyone else's mind ? :)

We were talking to the security guy in front of us at Wembley, and beforehand he was saying how excited he was to be there as he loves the band and this was his first time seeing them live, then during the gig he was so deadpan it looked like he hated it! We asked him afterwards and he said he was dancing in his head. At least where he was (back to main stage) he could still see the B stage.

• Like 10

We were talking to the security guy in front of us at Wembley, and beforehand he was saying how excited he was to be there as he loves the band and this was his first time seeing them live, then during the gig he was so deadpan it looked like he hated it! We asked him afterwards and he said he was dancing in his head. At least where he was (back to main stage) he could still see the B stage.

I think as a security member you're not allowed to do things like dancing etc. :D

He preferred to look at the bright side :) I think that's Coldplay’s idea, to enjoy the moment instead of blaming anyone around.

• Like 4

I think they have fun watching the Coldplayers.

But they have to keep their cool of course.

• Like 3

[MEDIA=twitter]751538084324339713[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://mobile.twitter.com/huillo/status/751538084324339713

omg did coldplay invite them over? this is so cute :dazzled:

for those of you who don't know, this is the kid that went viral during coldplay's show

Ooo . I can't wait to hear if they did. I don't blame the kid for getting so emotional during the concert, Coldplay concerts are overwhelming.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Coldplaying mobile app

I think they only sent them this stuff, judging by the envelope. But nice gesture all the same !

maybe you are right, but the tweet suggests they'll be seeing them in California....who knows but a sweet gesture nonetheless :dazzled: i hope the little guy enjoys the show

• Like 1

maybe you are right, but the tweet suggests they'll be seeing them in California....who knows but a sweet gesture nonetheless :dazzled: i hope the little guy enjoys the show

I thought he meant that the family will attend a concert in California, but whatever :)

Today, on Danish VH1 today: The ALBUM CHART (I have missed the album chart on VH1 for 8 years - it stopped in 2008 when VH1 got a Danish channel - VH1 Denmark).

I was curious to see how well Coldplay's last album did after their 2 concerts in Copenhagen on 5 and 6 July 2016.

Coldplay debuted with A Head Full of Dreams at no. 4 (its peak). And after their 2 concerts in Copenhagen the album jumped up the chart at No. 4.

The same pattern in 2012 when Coldplay toured with Mylo Xyloto. That album peaked in its first 2 weeks at no. 2 (because Danish Rasmus Seebach had released a new album the same week that debuted at no. 1 and stayed there for many weeks to become Denmark's best-selling album of 2012 whereas Mylo Xyloto was no. 15 at the album chart for all of 2011. After Coldplay's concert at Telia Park in 2012, Mylo Xyloto jumped up the chart to no. 2.

VH1, wednesday, 13.7 2016 - Album top 10 (2 Coldplay concerts in Copenhagen one week ago - on Tuesday 5.7.16 and Wednesday 6.7.16)

1. Volbeat: Seal the deal and let’s boogie

2. Drake: Views

3. Lukas Graham: Lukas Graham (Blue album) - the band with "7 Years)

4 (19) Coldplay: A Head Full of Dreams (up & up) week 31. Peak: Nr. 4. Platin

5 (4) Justin Bieber: Purpose

7 (8) Rihanna: Anti (concert at Refshaleøen in Copenhagen on Thursday 7 July 2016)

8 (7) Adele: 25 (concert in Copenhagen end of May 2016) 2 x platin

10. Rasmus Seebach

36 (re) Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto Week 51. Peak: 2

38 (re) Coldplay: Ghost Stories Week 25. Peak: 1. No. 1 for 3 weeks. Platin

31 (re) Amy Winehouse: Back to Black (that album is no. 1 on vinyl album chart). Week 92 Peak: no. 1 (for 1 uge) 6 x platin.

Singler: 30 (re) Hymn for the Week-end 15th week. Peak: 20. Hitlisten.nu

9 Rihanna / Calvin Harris with This Is What You Came For 2 Beyoncé: Sorry 1. Rihanna: Sledgehammer

EDIT: For your info: Viva la Vida or Death And All His Friends was no. 1 for 2 or 3 weeks in 2008, whereas X&Y was no. 1 for at least 5 (maybe 6 or 7) weeks back in 2005.

• Like 2