LP6

princesanji

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No not dubstep, ew (see Muse's 2nd Law)

But seriously, a more electronic route would be welcomed by me. Think Phoenix, Passion Pit, hell even Gorillaz.

Yeah, Unsustainable is a good example of what happens if you don't use "correctly" electronic music influences, and I don't want Coldplay do the same thing. In my opinion, they need a producer who is familiar with this kind of sounds and just try to experiment without totally forgetting their "original" sound.

Let's throw another question open.

Should Coldplay go more concept or less concept? Should there be an overarching theme like MX, or back to Viva days? Should they try soundtracking something, or should they go for ambitious branding like Arcade Fire have lately?

More, but only if it's not done so superficially. I like when people care and everything is thought-through but not to the point that it kills all spontaneity. Although it all comes down to simply writing good melodies and good songs, without that the concept is useless.

Ambitious promotion - yes; I like Events.

A concept album incresases a lot the possibility of having more songs forced on the tracklist and more pontetially better songs beeing left off just because they don't fit the concept itself and it's quite a big risk, in my opinion,

A concept album incresases a lot the possibility of having more songs forced on the tracklist and more pontetially better songs beeing left off just because they don't fit the concept itself and it's quite a big risk, in my opinion,

Well, unless the better songs are the ones that fit the concept and the other ones are garbage.

Good point. After all they did kick MTM out of the album.

Back to the concept thing, I'd quite like it if some of the songs were linked, but not in an obvious way... sort of how Every Teardrop is referenced in Paradise.

But there's a song on Arctic Monkeys' AM, Knee Socks, that goes "You were stood in the corner with the coats all piled high, and I thought you might be mine" and it's sung with the same melody as R U Mine?. And on Fireside, the hotel suite that Al mentions is a reference to 505.

Alternately, Radiohead seem to focus a lot of their songs about depression on water. How to Disappear Completely is perhaps the most depression-based song, and it talks of floating helplessly down a river. Weird Fishes is more hopeful and talks of being "turned" at the bottom of the ocean, maybe someone's helping Thom reach the surface. And the all-the-more positive Codex talks more about a clear blue lake where the water's warm.

So what am I getting at? Well, a lot of Chris's lyrics you can write off as being a placeholder for the melody, but he's written an awful lot of concrete lyrics, about puzzles and missing pieces, perfect days at Strawberry Swing and cathedrals a-plenty. If he could tie up some of these ends, make sense of some of them, it not only makes the songs a bit more accessible, it rewards the true fans who've been there from the start.

For example, on Speed of Sound, he talked about birds in relation to birth, and it related to Apple being born. On Up With The Birds, he sang about birds singing "start again". It would make a nice opening track to talk about birds again, and would relate to whatever new direction the record could have.

Back to the concept thing, I'd quite like it if some of the songs were linked, but not in an obvious way... sort of how Every Teardrop is referenced in Paradise.

But there's a song on Arctic Monkeys' AM, Knee Socks, that goes "You were stood in the corner with the coats all piled high, and I thought you might be mine" and it's sung with the same melody as R U Mine?. And on Fireside, the hotel suite that Al mentions is a reference to 505.

Alternately, Radiohead seem to focus a lot of their songs about depression on water. How to Disappear Completely is perhaps the most depression-based song, and it talks of floating helplessly down a river. Weird Fishes is more hopeful and talks of being "turned" at the bottom of the ocean, maybe someone's helping Thom reach the surface. And the all-the-more positive Codex talks more about a clear blue lake where the water's warm.

So what am I getting at? Well, a lot of Chris's lyrics you can write off as being a placeholder for the melody, but he's written an awful lot of concrete lyrics, about puzzles and missing pieces, perfect days at Strawberry Swing and cathedrals a-plenty. If he could tie up some of these ends, make sense of some of them, it not only makes the songs a bit more accessible, it rewards the true fans who've been there from the start.

For example, on Speed of Sound, he talked about birds in relation to birth, and it related to Apple being born. On Up With The Birds, he sang about birds singing "start again". It would make a nice opening track to talk about birds again, and would relate to whatever new direction the record could have.

And LP6 should be called "Going back to the start".