✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

It wouldn't surprise me if Atlas is similar to the new album: it's lushly produced but it's not exactly an embrace of a style or idea, is it? It's just... Coldplay. They'll no doubt find ways to push themselves on LP6 but people need to stop thinking in boxed ideas of the band sat round the studio saying "Which genres haven't we done yet, freeform jazz?"

I agree.

They will go in whatever direction they feel like. I doubt they have some checklist of genres that they go back to for every album.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...I'd just like either a return to the band's roots (Parachutes)...

Again, this is something that we hear every three or so years, and I'm afraid it's not going to happen. They have to move forward as artists and look towards what's out there to do, not what's already been done; returning to your roots breeds a horrible staleness and a lack of ambition.

On their last album however, Coldplay acknowledged their past with a few songs in the vein of Parachutes. That's more than you're likely to get from Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead, Muse or even Kanye West these days, so accept it and look forward to the band's future (not just you, anyone who's still waiting for Sparks pt. II).

Again, this is something that we hear every three or so years, and I'm afraid it's not going to happen. They have to move forward as artists and look towards what's out there to do, not what's already been done; returning to your roots breeds a horrible staleness and a lack of ambition.

On their last album however, Coldplay acknowledged their past with a few songs in the vein of Parachutes. That's more than you're likely to get from Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead, Muse or even Kanye West these days, so accept it and look forward to the band's future (not just you, anyone who's still waiting for Sparks pt. II).

Yup. That's the sad truth. But like I said, I can dream... :awesome:

Yeah, that wasn't a rant, I'm on your side about the Viva thing... and as a Kanye West fan, it makes me a bit sad that the Twisted Fantasy era ended with only one UK date :/

But that's the beautiful thing about artists who move forward; when they visit the old stuff live, it's different because they've changed as individuals, they can put new spins on old songs. When I saw Coldplay the time before last, they did Don't Panic acoustically here... it was so lovely to see an old one revisited like this with everyone giving Jonny the credit for his harmonies <3

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCXQGz0BA88]Don't Panic at The O2 - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah, that wasn't a rant, I'm on your side about the Viva thing... and as a Kanye West fan, it makes me a bit sad that the Twisted Fantasy era ended with only one UK date :/

But that's the beautiful thing about artists who move forward; when they visit the old stuff live, it's different because they've changed as individuals, they can put new spins on old songs. When I saw Coldplay the time before last, they did Don't Panic acoustically here... it was so lovely to see an old one revisited like this with everyone giving Jonny the credit for his harmonies <3

^^^^^ T'was beautiful! :cry:

Yes! If bands never change then when they play old songs it just sounds stale and boring. If you look at the recent Muse performances of some old songs, they sound so awesome re-imagined as piano songs.

I can understand that, and maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd actually like more different sounding stuff like Strawberry Swing and Lost, or more of the classic acoustic sounding stuff from Parachutes.

yeah that also sounds great

One good fact is that the boys are more in studio without Chris! You can see what happened on Viva when they did that!

I really like the idea of the band working on stuff with Chris away. it could give them the creativity and freedom they need without Chris's dominant presence.

I think that, if there's anything on Atlas that could point out what's to come is the "size". The song manages to be big and quite epic without going totally overblown like Paradise or Death And All His Friends (which are great and I love). So, I guess it will still be epic, but we can expect less "wooooahs" and group singing.

Yes! If bands never change then when they play old songs it just sounds stale and boring. If you look at the recent Muse performances of some old songs, they sound so awesome re-imagined as piano songs.

Just out of interest, which ones have been done just on piano? I used to be a big Muse fan, didn't like the latest album, so haven't followed them lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do people assume they're going to actually collaborate again ? :thinking: We all know here that Coldplay hates doing the same thing twice. Jay Z is a close friend of Chris, he was probably just checking out what they have so far. Or just having a nice conversation.

Just out of interest, which ones have been done just on piano? I used to be a big Muse fan, didn't like the latest album, so haven't followed them lately.

Sunburn, Cave and Falling Down. (There may be others but those are the ones I can remember right now)

BREAKING NEWS "World renowned rap artist 'Eminem' to feature on three separate tracks on Coldplays' forthcoming sixth album".

EDIT: Nicki Minaj also slated to join the album and it's increasingly growing list of overrated, obnoxious, rappers.

Hahahaha :laugh3::laugh3:

I'm waiting for someone to believe this is true