✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Princess of China: Worst Coldplay song ever?

KKOPPI

Oh dear god indeed! I am an unashamed lover of that track. I love it so much that it's better than the acoustic VLV tour version.

No Princess of China is just not the worst Coldplay song ever. It's actuappy very very good. The worst Coldplay song ever is Twisted Logic. My god, what a bore that song is. What an absolute bore. Come on people!

I will stand on top of a tall building and scream The Hardest Part to the world. I don't understand why anyone would hate it omg.

when Chris sings its good when rihanna sings its the worst f piece of shit....she is blocking the wonderful instrumental part with her stupid-bitchy voice

For me High Speed is the worst. That song is just lacking any emotion. Same goes for A Whisper, and What If is just whiny.

Princess of China is an ok Coldplay song, because the band actually do their job. It's Rihanna that slips.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Rihanna actually sounds sooo good on this track omg. u guise. Stop it.

Seriously....

I don't think it's the worst Coldplay song... It's the worst Coldplay song so far. For me, it's down there with Paradise (and Lost, but at least that one still sounded like Coldplay).

First of all, it's not Rihanna's fault. She does a good job. The song suits her better than Coldplay. In fact it sounds more like Rihanna feat. Chris Martin to me.

But, as a Coldplay song, it's really bad...

1. The lyrics lack any deep meaning and the whoas and ooohs and lalalas are spread around the song to make it catchy. This is just unsubtly, unashamedly screaming for big record sales and conquest of every hit list.

2. Instrumentally, the song is drowning in messy synths, basses and R&B beats with additional bells and whistles. Jonny seems completely gone and Will doesn't show any of his skills. It's not Coldplay at all.

This song really has nothing in my eyes. It's actually terrifying me that everybody seems to like it so much (I'm not saying no one should like it, it's your own opinion of course). It makes me think that I'm wrong and I'm alone. If this is the new direction Coldplay is taking, I'm very heartbroken. I never thought they would go down to this level of collaborating with superstars (I thought Jay-Z was a one-of that would pass relatively unnoticedly) and milking all the sellout tricks like popular hit radio artists do. I always thought it was great that Coldplay stood out in the hit lists by just making their own music minding their own business in the sea of cheap artists. With this song, that is completely gone. I feel like they cheated on me.

Of course, teens are going to love it and they'll think they love Coldplay because of this song, though they'll never know about the history of the band. This kind of song will become the definition of Coldplay and as a Coldplay fan, people will associate my favourite band with Rihanna and Princess Of China. That will make me feel terrible. It makes me feel disoriented and disconnected.

Anyway, just my two cents.

I don't think it's the worst Coldplay song... It's the worst Coldplay song so far. For me, it's down there with Paradise (and Lost, but at least that one still sounded like Coldplay).

First of all, it's not Rihanna's fault. She does a good job. The song suits her better than Coldplay. In fact it sounds more like Rihanna feat. Chris Martin to me.

1. The lyrics lack any deep meaning and the whoas and ooohs and lalalas are spread around the song to make it catchy. This is just unsubtly, unashamedly screaming for big record sales and conquest of every hit list.

2. Instrumentally, the song is drowning in messy synths, basses and R&B beats with additional bells and whistles. Jonny seems completely gone and Will doesn't show any of his skills. It's not Coldplay at all.

This song really has nothing in my eyes. It's actually terrifying me that everybody seems to like it so much (I'm not saying no one should like it, it's your own opinion of course). It makes me think that I'm wrong and I'm alone. If this is the new direction Coldplay is taking, I'm very heartbroken. I never thought they would go down to this level of collaborating with superstars (I thought Jay-Z was a one-of that would pass relatively unnoticedly) and milking all the sellout tricks like popular hit radio artists do. I always thought it was great that Coldplay stood out in the hit lists by just making their own music minding their own business in the sea of cheap artists. With this song, that is completely gone. I feel like they cheated on me.

Of course, teens are going to love it and they'll think they love Coldplay because of this song, though they'll never know about the history of the band. This kind of song will become the definition of Coldplay and as a Coldplay fan, people will associate my favourite band with Rihanna and Princess Of China. That will make me feel terrible. It makes me feel disoriented and disconnected.

Thank you!

I respect that they put out a version of Lost with Jay-Z. They're friends and why not try to collaborate? But they made it subtle, which means that version was not on the album, it was basically just a b-side. Now there's this huge blown-up collaboration on the album and it makes you wonder why. It would've made so much more sense to put it on Rihanna's album, make it a Rihanna-song and not a Coldplay-song.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Thank you!

I respect that they put out a version of Lost with Jay-Z. They're friends and why not try to collaborate? But they made it subtle, which means that version was not on the album, it was basically just a b-side. Now there's this huge blown-up collaboration on the album and it makes you wonder why. It would've made so much more sense to put it on Rihanna's album, make it a Rihanna-song and not a Coldplay-song.

This Rihanna collab works a hell of a lot better than the Jay Z one. Jay Z pops up in that song and stalls it like a man dressed up as a chicken blocking cars at a zebra crossing. Utterly bizarre and pointless.

This Rihanna collab works a hell of a lot better than the Jay Z one. Jay Z pops up in that song and stalls it like a man dressed up as a chicken blocking cars at a zebra crossing. Utterly bizarre and pointless.

I didn't say I think it's a great collaboration. He's just rapping over Jonny's solo that I actually quite like, so I'm not listening to that version. It's only a b-side anyway.

PoC isn't though and if I want to listen to MX as a whole (the oh so great word "concept album" pops up) then I have to listen to this for me awfully displaced and completely overblown collaboration.

Well,You've put it very nicely but we should remember that it is only one song, one of many. (Perhaps not the best, but maybe not the worst) If you do not like it, hear it not. There are great and emotional songs with a lot of depth (Us against the world, even though I have not heard the album) here, recalling the initial Coldplay times. I think that we should make a positive opposite. We have the new direction that many might not like to be but we have a lot of classic Coldplay, so this will be something for everyone. And who knows, maybe new fans of the band also deal with the older pieces, and would enjoy. That would complete the circle back and make everyone happy.

The new album is a combination of acoustic folk, pop rock/R&B, prog rock, and alternative rock. It's a bit of everything they've done before, plus more.

LOLno. Sorry, it just comes off as an unorganized mess to me.

You know, after I've listened to it quite a few times now, it's starting to grow on me a teeny little bit, I guess, I don't like to say it, but for the sake of Coldplay, I'm going to say it's a half decent song and not their worst, but still, I wouldn't class it as a 'good' song, because let's face it, it isn't, it's mainstream, synth pop garbage, which is a lot of what I hate, but as long as Chris' voice is there to guide me through the downside of the album, I'm content with it :inquisitive:

1. "For the sake of Coldplay?" Really? Why does that matter? Why not just speak your mind without keeping them into consideration?

2. Not all synthpop is bad. Just so you know.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Rihanna actually sounds sooo good on this track omg. u guise. Stop it.

Seriously....

Rihanna sings significantly better than Chris on this.

OMG YES.

Coldplay fans are stupid. "Princess of China" is probably the ballsiest song on the album.

I don't know what that word means. Is it good or bad?

@ Ronnie: Well, yeah, indeed, I'm just afraid that they will continue in this PoC direction. Now they have something that's reminiscent of the old Coldplay and something completely different. I'm afraid they will leave the vintage stuff behind and fully concentrate on PoC-like music. Don't worry, even if the chance is not so great, I'm just mentally preparing for the worst.

Guest howyousawtheworld
If someone offered me to vanish with this song at the cost of a child in africa i would do it.

Hmmm. Not clever. Not clever at all.