✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Princess of China: Worst Coldplay song ever?

KKOPPI

Wow, a polarising track this one!

Personally I love it, and I think I would really like to hear a Chris Martin solo album at some point in the future.

My opinion is that Jonny, Will and Guy let Chris have one of his solo compositions appear on a 'Coldplay record'. For me PoC shares the same DNA with "Me and Tennessee", "All Good Things", "Lhuna", etc. - when he writes without the input of the rest of the band, he writes from a more poppy sensibility (which seems to be the bone of contention amongst so many of you).

I said Rihanna isn't even one of the top 5 reasons why I hate this song. I feel I should list those 5 reasons:

- Terrible synth usage that's even more overbearing than in Paradise

- Aforementioned synths completely bury any actual instruments, making 3/4 of Coldplay members useless

- Even that 4th Coldplay member - Chris - is barely noticeable on this song as he has the minority of vocal parts

- Shit lyrics that are either for toddlers ("I wanna be a princess!") or just lazy as hell ("Lalalalalala oooooooooh")

- It's Coldplay writing an R&B song, for crying out loud

Rihanna is Reason #6. :laugh3:

I think the Rihanna thing's the third reason here. But your main reason is that it's synthy and it's poorly written.

I really quite like it, the beat's brilliant, I like the synths, Chris's vocal rhythm is funky as hell. I think we could have done without Rihanna doubling up the guitar riff during the refrains though and they could have sung together a hell load more in the chorus. Vocals are far too quiet as well, and there could have been a whole lot more from the other members, I get how they're sort of metaphorically standing aside for her but come on, it'd be better with a great chunky guitar line playing at the end and some more thumping bass.

Imo, this song could've been recorded much better than it is. Rihanna lacks emotion and doesn't even sound like herself sometimes. :lol: Jonny could use more prominence and the song does not build up properly to the end.

Somehow, I got the feeling that this is another song that sounds much better live. Strange, considering the amount of studio effects and synthies.

But come on guys, that's not their worst song ever. The song itself is brilliant.

I think people ar ehating on it as it's not 100% Coldplay. Yes it's not great but it's really catchy and isn't that bad a song. I personally hate Rihanna but she's not too bad on this I just wish Chris' voice was louder when they harmonize. Not their best by a long stretch, not their worst just average and a tad boring after a few minutes.

POC is easily the worst Coldplay song I've ever heard. They totally compromised their musical identity with this one. I would have far less of a problem with it if they had just released it as a single or a B-side. I consider it a novelty piece that has no place on a Coldplay album... especially when a masterpiece like Moving to Mars is languishing in the B-side realm.

I consider it a novelty piece that has no place on a Coldplay album... especially when a masterpiece like Moving to Mars is languishing in the B-side realm.

That's the whole point indeed..if only Moving to Mars would replace PoC the reviews would be better.

That's the whole point indeed..if only Moving to Mars would replace PoC the reviews would be better.

Totally agree that MTM should have been on this album! Can't for the life of me figure out why it isn't. After hearing the cover they did of Rihanna's We Found Love, it just baffles me that POC is as bad as it is...

When Chris sung this live, it was much better.

Since Chris is a man, when he sings the chorus it sounds like intense as he has to put more effort into hitting the higher notes than a girl like Rihanna.

When Rihanna sings the chorus it just sounds like shes sitting down, just going like, "alright, yeah whatever. Sing Sing Sing" (That's the only way I can put it :P)

But when Chris sings it sounds more intense and makes the chorus more epic.

I'm not saying Rihanna is lazy or not as good of a singer as Chris. She probably is better than him.

I'm just saying, that chorus sounds like it was designed for a guy to sing.

Since Chris is a man, when he sings the chorus it sounds like intense as he has to put more effort into hitting the higher notes than a girl like Rihanna.

When Rihanna sings the chorus it just sounds like shes sitting down, just going like, "alright, yeah whatever. Sing Sing Sing" (That's the only way I can put it :P)

I'm not saying Rihanna is lazy or not as good of a singer as Chris. She probably is better than him.

Chris sounds bored with it though, at least in studio. Rihanna actually spices it up. I will say that it definitely sounded more passionate live.

:nod:

I hope, as a B-Side of the single, we got a PoC version without Rihanna.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4stzGUJACZo&feature=related]Coldplay - Princess of China - Rock im Park 2011 [HD] - Live from Front-Row! ;) - YouTube[/ame]

The chorus is SO BETTER WITHOUT RIHANNA.

POC is easily the worst Coldplay song I've ever heard. They totally compromised their musical identity with this one. I would have far less of a problem with it if they had just released it as a single or a B-side. I consider it a novelty piece that has no place on a Coldplay album... especially when a masterpiece like Moving to Mars is languishing in the B-side realm.

^

This

I remember when I first heard this...I thought it was gonna be my favourite new song. It ends up being the worst song which is pretty ironic.

The early version is definitely better, the bass line is so clear! So much better.

Please, I get that some people don't like Coldplay making pop songs (which is nothing new) but PoC is far from being foreign territory. It's not my favorite song on MX, but it's not my least favorite either. It's catchy, has a good beat and it's them trying something new.