✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[5-May-2014] Beacon Theatre, New York, USA

Jenjie

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so jealous right now when that confetti burst it makes me cry because if I were in the or near the front I know its amazing.. Ive only ever seen coldplay once and I was as far back in the last row literately of a huge stadium.. I was gonna try for LA but being from canada Im not sure that I can afford it :( Gah I want to see them so bad.. I really hope they do big venues next year .. Although my dream would have been to see them in an intimate setting where the ppl around you are great fans :)

I am so jealous right now when that confetti burst it makes me cry because if I were in the or near the front I know its amazing.. Ive only ever seen coldplay once and I was as far back in the last row literately of a huge stadium.. I was gonna try for LA but being from canada Im not sure that I can afford it :( Gah I want to see them so bad.. I really hope they do big venues next year .. Although my dream would have been to see them in an intimate setting where the ppl around you are great fans :)

The confetti looked awesome, not gonna lie! Snagged me a star and an O to keep for memory. The venue was also very nice I may say, never went to Beacon theater until yesterday and it definitely added to the experience.

Wow - the 9p show was ridiculously good! I guess the extra time and run through in the matinee helped them to work out the kinks. I waited till last minute for prices to drop and got a 2nd row center seat through stub hub for a decent price - to see Coldplay in a venue like this was as mastercard would put it - priceless. 1 negative thing about sitting up close, is most of the people there are not diehards but kind of music industry types or really rich people who like to drink at shows. the 1st row had some really annoying people that kept trying to get Chris' attention but not in a good way. Overall, being that close, was amazing, Chris was on fire as well as the rest of the band.

I was lucky enough to be at the AOL music concert for the X&Y promo tour - and it is amazing to see their evolution/progression after 9 yrs - they rocked the house. Plus, Til Kingdom Come is just magical (X&Y is underrated despite Chris' own feelings on the album) - Really wish they would play Swallowed in the Sea again - that is a classic Coldplay song along the lines of this relatively solemn introspective album.

Life is for Living is... what I can say, what one of the best debut secret tracks in a long while - beautiful all around - that piano line, and the grand finale with all 4 getting involved is just vintage.

Also, I'll be honest - wasn't a total fan of Another's Arms - at least from the radio broadcasts/itunes festival - but I think live it's really good, and they really tweaked the song enough to make it work. Another outstanding track with a brilliant Jonny solo.

Oceans - sublime, ethereal - that drum pad effect is perfect for that song with Chris' simple guitar rhythm, and then Jonny with that heavy synth effect - both guy and jonny really showing their versatility this tour - they're everywhere, playing everything.

I like the segue from Oceans into ASFOS - this time - there was a definite interlude a la Mylo Xyloto-esque into ASFOS - again, Sky is just phenomenal live - J, Guy, and Will are just shredding away on the song when the drop comes in. It will really sell this album well, and hopefully get more people to see the other aspects of Coldplay that make them such a talented and versatile band. Quick ? - who came up with piano riff, was it Avicci or Chris - or does Avicci just play the piano part - it's a bit confusing, bc Zane Lowe makes it out to be Chris who came up with piano part, but it looks more like Chris came up with song's vocal melody and of course lyrics. Anyway, brilliant song.

Finally - True Love sounded pretty good with initial opening, and the visuals they've added to the screen is really cool (same for Another's Arms) - but for some reason Jonny's solo sounded off, like he wasn't playing it right - I dont' know if it was just my location or what - but up until that part, it was a decent song (I don't know if it's their best song from the album as Chris had mentioned (perhaps a bit of hyperbole), but sounds like another classic Coldplay track.

All in all, cannot wait for that tv special, to get the full album experience as they wanted to people to experience but unfortunately was too expensive to take around the world. Regardless, In Coldplay I Trust - so fortunate to have a band like this out there (them, the Killers, and Keane for me) - 3 great bands that came around relatively the same time.

Wow - the 9p show was ridiculously good! I guess the extra time and run through in the matinee helped them to work out the kinks. I waited till last minute for prices to drop and got a 2nd row center seat through stub hub for a decent price - to see Coldplay in a venue like this was as mastercard would put it - priceless. 1 negative thing about sitting up close, is most of the people there are not diehards but kind of music industry types or really rich people who like to drink at shows. the 1st row had some really annoying people that kept trying to get Chris' attention but not in a good way. Overall, being that close, was amazing, Chris was on fire as well as the rest of the band.

I was lucky enough to be at the AOL music concert for the X&Y promo tour - and it is amazing to see their evolution/progression after 9 yrs - they rocked the house. Plus, Til Kingdom Come is just magical (X&Y is underrated despite Chris' own feelings on the album) - Really wish they would play Swallowed in the Sea again - that is a classic Coldplay song along the lines of this relatively solemn introspective album.

Life is for Living is... what I can say, what one of the best debut secret tracks in a long while - beautiful all around - that piano line, and the grand finale with all 4 getting involved is just vintage.

Also, I'll be honest - wasn't a total fan of Another's Arms - at least from the radio broadcasts/itunes festival - but I think live it's really good, and they really tweaked the song enough to make it work. Another outstanding track with a brilliant Jonny solo.

Oceans - sublime, ethereal - that drum pad effect is perfect for that song with Chris' simple guitar rhythm, and then Jonny with that heavy synth effect - both guy and jonny really showing their versatility this tour - they're everywhere, playing everything.

I like the segue from Oceans into ASFOS - this time - there was a definite interlude a la Mylo Xyloto-esque into ASFOS - again, Sky is just phenomenal live - J, Guy, and Will are just shredding away on the song when the drop comes in. It will really sell this album well, and hopefully get more people to see the other aspects of Coldplay that make them such a talented and versatile band. Quick ? - who came up with piano riff, was it Avicci or Chris - or does Avicci just play the piano part - it's a bit confusing, bc Zane Lowe makes it out to be Chris who came up with piano part, but it looks more like Chris came up with song's vocal melody and of course lyrics. Anyway, brilliant song.

Finally - True Love sounded pretty good with initial opening, and the visuals they've added to the screen is really cool (same for Another's Arms) - but for some reason Jonny's solo sounded off, like he wasn't playing it right - I dont' know if it was just my location or what - but up until that part, it was a decent song (I don't know if it's their best song from the album as Chris had mentioned (perhaps a bit of hyperbole), but sounds like another classic Coldplay track.

All in all, cannot wait for that tv special, to get the full album experience as they wanted to people to experience but unfortunately was too expensive to take around the world. Regardless, In Coldplay I Trust - so fortunate to have a band like this out there (them, the Killers, and Keane for me) - 3 great bands that came around relatively the same time.

Great review,thanks. Swallowed in the Sea would have been amazing,or Amsterdam. I agree about first row folks. Some of them can be people w/deep pockets who want to impress people rather than being serious fans. I know Chris often looks past the first few rows and focuses on people further back. Someone mentioned they gave away some tickets for the 5:00 show. Do we know if those were upgrades or given to people outside the venue? Haven't heard that they upgraded people in the back rows like bigger venues.

Congratulations!! So pleased for you :)

They played True Love :D Shame it wasn't broadcasted.

Thank you so much!!! I was literally sobbing haha meeting them was very important to me. :) I left before they played LIFL and True Love (so I could go to the barricade at the side of the building for when they came out) but I heard a recording of True Love and ughhhh.......SO GOOD!!

aaAAWWW I'm very happy for you. I'm so glad the members of my favourite band are such good-hearted souls :bomb::wacky:

Thanks so much, I'm honestly the happiest girl in the world because of yesterday. They were all soooo nice, I can't believe how lucky I am.

Thank you so much!!! I was literally sobbing haha meeting them was very important to me. :) I left before they played LIFL and True Love (so I could go to the barricade at the side of the building for when they came out) but I heard a recording of True Love and ughhhh.......SO GOOD!!

Thanks so much, I'm honestly the happiest girl in the world because of yesterday. They were all soooo nice, I can't believe how lucky I am.

Congratulations!!! : )

Finally, the brownie curse has been broken! :laugh3:

Congratulations!!! : )

Finally, the brownie curse has been broken! :laugh3:

OMG thank you so much!!!! I literally didn't eat ANYTHING yesterday because I knew if I did, something like that would happen again! :/ But thank you so much :) I can't believe this is real, I think I'm in shock hahaha

So I picked up Angie right after the 5 pm show and we went to get some chow. We walked back and every time I go into The Beacon Theater I fall in love. It is so intimate, beautiful and old school. There is actually a round beautiful ticket booth in the front. There are 5 bars in the entry way, 5! We talked to a few coldplayers and it was all good. Angie got a tix in the front center aisle directly in front of Jonny. I was left of her a few rows back on the aisle which was the side entrance for all the VIP's headed to the back. Saw a few local NY celebs, newscasters and there was a ton of industry peeps. Phil came out that entrance and ran a up the aisle to more than once working his magic It was a little weird b/c it was a lot of the who's who and it was seated. a little stuffy for my taste but I am a native NY'er and we all come in all shapes and sizes and everyone loves Coldplay. When the roadies came out and all the hob nobs thought it was the band and started cheering thinking it was the band, ahem............So I people watched for a while. I know this is a pre-album tour and people paid a lot of money to see them play but I wonder if half the people would be there if they were queuing for 8 hours in the cold. I did realize I was very lucky to be there.

The set is so simple and gorgeous. To me it represents what I as a fan have been waiting to hear again from Coldplay: classic, clean, simple, pure. The stars represent so much from the beginning. I am glad they are back.

Always in My head started and it's even more hypnotic live. It takes you to a place where It's just you and the band and they are singing to you and only you& you do not want it to end.

Charlie Brown comes on and its ever so amazing. I was by myself and I am dancing my ass off. I had a lot of room because i was on the aisle seat and security is laughing and giving me the thumbs up because no one else around me is dancing. PPl were clapping but i was truly having the best time.

Paradise comes on and everyone goes wild. I took some pics. Magic is next and i start filming away, so beautiful. I realized one of the reasons I love this new album so much because Chris actually sits still and I can attempt to film and take pics of him!

Magic is glorious, Guy has the Bass with Sass and Chris's Vocals are smooth and delicious. the beat keeps you hypnotized... "Yes I do" and "of Course I do" is going to be the next "Honey Honey"

God Put A Smile comes on and it's the version I prefer myself. I feel like it's down and dirty, the way it is supposed to be played. I kind of had a feeling something different would come on next and holy crap, Till Kingdom Come is on and I am screaming my ass off. The newbs look round and they are like what song is this??

Midnight is so amazing live. I love the song but when you see it, feel it, hear it live it blows you away.

going to skip a few songs and then Oceans, Holy effing crap I don't even know what to say. I took a vid and I was literally shaking it is so beautiful. You feel like you have entered something so personal and intimate and you are actually lucky enough to hear this beautiful song and you are afraid it's going to go away and never come back. You cherish this moment. Jonny is stellar. It was stunning

A Sky full of Stars, my personal dark horse, is incredible!!!!!! It is going to be huge and not just huge cause the younger set and newbs and EDM ppl like it. It is going to be huge because everyone is going to love it. Your Mom, your babysitter, your cool cousin, your friend who works on Wall Street,your kids, Your snobby music friend. And you are going to dance! Dance like no one is watching dance. People were going nuts in the aisle and security had more to deal with than just little old me. It was insane in my section.

Well I thought I was happy enough and then my Spidey senses heard the first chords of the songs we have hidden in the back of our hearts hoping to be played again section of our brains and souls. Life is for Living!!!!! I start screaming and I hear all the other old timers up on the balcony freaking and we hear one of the most beloved Coldplay songs ever. Jonny is killing it with the riffs. And then I start having a tear or come out or two and I feel so blessed. You are probably going to kill me and this is the GD truth, but i am so blown away by Life is For Living, I do not even remember "the song we are not supposed to talk about" So I am keeping my end of the deal up and not talking about it. I cannot believe this was 24 hours ago. Oh we said hello to Dan Green and Angie talked to him for a bit.

I hope you enjoyed my version of an incredible evening

So here come the pics and vids! Enjoy!

Thank you the_escapist

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mxxxH9w64O0?list=UUPAEUSZ_vjNpSdUrTR86Qkw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5KvymarJsuU?list=UUPAEUSZ_vjNpSdUrTR86Qkw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice meeting many of you Coldplayers last night. Here is my video from ASFOS:

[video=youtube_share;JRopOjf3phg]

Thank you so much for that video. In LA, we were not allowed to bring in phones or cameras, and on the one hand it was kind of nice not to have the distraction of all those phones in the air, but on the other, oh those songs and memories. I know they will be on the tv show, but I always love documenting my experiences at a show.

S

The set is so simple and gorgeous. To me it represents what I as a fan have been waiting to hear again from Coldplay: classic, clean, simple, pure. The stars represent so much from the beginning. I am glad they are back.

Always in My head started and it's even more hypnotic live. It takes you to a place where It's just you and the band and they are singing to you and only you& you do not want it to end.

Charlie Brown comes on and its ever so amazing. I was by myself and I am dancing my ass off. I had a lot of room because i was on the aisle seat and security is laughing and giving me the thumbs up because no one else around me is dancing. PPl were clapping but i was truly having the best time.

Paradise comes on and everyone goes wild. I took some pics. Magic is next and i start filming away, so beautiful. I realized one of the reasons I love this new album so much because Chris actually sits still and I can attempt to film and take pics of him!

Magic is glorious, Guy has the Bass with Sass and Chris's Vocals are smooth and delicious. the beat keeps you hypnotized... "Yes I do" and "of Course I do" is going to be the next "Honey Honey"

God Put A Smile comes on and it's the version I prefer myself. I feel like it's down and dirty, the way it is supposed to be played. I kind of had a feeling something different would come on next and holy crap, Till Kingdom Come is on and I am screaming my ass off. The newbs look round and they are like what song is this??

Midnight is so amazing live. I love the song but when you see it, feel it, hear it live it blows you away.

going to skip a few songs and then Oceans, Holy effing crap I don't even know what to say. I took a vid and I was literally shaking it is so beautiful. You feel like you have entered something so personal and intimate and you are actually lucky enough to hear this beautiful song and you are afraid it's going to go away and never come back. You cherish this moment. Jonny is stellar. It was stunning

A Sky full of Stars, my personal dark horse, is incredible!!!!!! It is going to be huge and not just huge cause the younger set and newbs and EDM ppl like it. It is going to be huge because everyone is going to love it. Your Mom, your babysitter, your cool cousin, your friend who works on Wall Street,your kids, Your snobby music friend. And you are going to dance! Dance like no one is watching dance. People were going nuts in the aisle and security had more to deal with than just little old me. It was insane in my section.

Well I thought I was happy enough and then my Spidey senses heard the first chords of the songs we have hidden in the back of our hearts hoping to be played again section of our brains and souls. Life is for Living!!!!! I start screaming and I hear all the other old timers up on the balcony freaking and we hear one of the most beloved Coldplay songs ever. Jonny is killing it with the riffs. And then I start having a tear or come out or two and I feel so blessed. You are probably going to kill me and this is the GD truth, but i am so blown away by Life is For Living, I do not even remember "the song we are not supposed to talk about" So I am keeping my end of the deal up and not talking about it. I cannot believe this was 24 hours ago. Oh we said hello to Dan Green and Angie talked to him for a bit.

I hope you enjoyed my version of an incredible evening

So here come the pics and vids! Enjoy!

Oh Christa, this is exactly how I feel. I'm glad you remember the songs, because I can't remember much from the shows in March. I was just so blown away and in awe. And I realized by trying to remember everything that I was missing the present. Thanks for an awesome heartfelt review.

Oh Christa, this is exactly how I feel. I'm glad you remember the songs, because I can't remember much from the shows in March. I was just so blown away and in awe. And I realized by trying to remember everything that I was missing the present. Thanks for an awesome heartfelt review.

And I second the gratitude.....I was so excited I only remembered snippets!

Christa, you'll get a kick out of this....right before our show in LA I was chatting with some kids standing next to me about how we like various albums etc and I threw out this gem " Well, I'll always love my favorite band but, you know sometimes when a songwriter gets all happily married with kids and stuff they forget how to write the more meaningful stuff about heartache and sorrow you know?....and then its all anthems and sing-a-longs. But that's OK I will always love them and remain a hardcore fan no matter what."

5 minutes later, Cue Ghost Stories....LOL....and I was like Holy Shit! Chris is an even better songwriter than I give him credit for...putting himself in such "another place" to write these raw, painful songs....

12 hours late, Cue the Uncoupling Notice..... not so LOL

Amusingly, I was sitting directly next to Bash when I said this- completely in earshot....if he DID hear me he must have been thinking " that fan is in for an earful of surprises"....(I moved seats right after that, so thankfully didn't have to fight the urge to jabber at him anyway.)

In my fangirl stupor the standout was "O/Flock of Birds" and thinking how incredibly sad the lyrics were...and now I'm wondering;

Knowing about where the lyrics are coming from now... how does it color how you feel about the songs and the show in general??

Unless they magically add some shows to this mini-tour I'll never know...

I appreciate your awesome review and so glad you and Ang were there.