✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

Last really song to be called rock was Violet Hill. From then, most of it was solid pop. With a few exceptions, like Midnight, which i love.

I don't know if I would agree with that, I'd call a lot of what was on VLV rock such as Lost! LIJ etc. Even MX has a rock edge to it. I'd definitely call tracks like Hurts like Heaven, ETIAW rock even if they do happen to flirt with pop.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But you do realize that Midnight isn't rock, right?

"I live to see the world"

Sorry but did you read my post properly ?!

Nowhere is written that Midnight is rock to me. Its just different from their solid pop music since Mylo.

Dont get me wrong, im totally fine with the fact you like Miracles ;)

Guest diogo_sg

I wouldn't mind if AHFOD's style was similar to Us Against the World. I'm kinda addicted to that song right now

pop rock maybe, but now we're splitting hairs.

Which is the whole aim of genres, it splits music into categories. Some would say that doing this is pointless, I mean, as long it sounds good right?

Guest diogo_sg
Sorry but did you read my post properly ?!

Nowhere is written that Midnight is rock to me. Its just different from their solid pop music since Mylo.

Dont get me wrong, im totally fine with the fact you like Miracles ;)

Oh, I'm sorry! I misunderstood you! I love Midnight too btw

Anyway.

All i wanna say is that im hoping for something to really surprise me.

Thats why :viva: is my favourite record because the direction,content and style of this album was totally unexpected.

I´m not gonna say i want a :viva: 2.0 but i want the same surprise with the style of A Head Full of Dreams.

That would be fantastic, since many people (including me) expecting a more EDM/poppy sort of record.

Guest diogo_sg

Which is the whole aim of genres, it splits music into categories. Some would say that doing this is pointless, I mean, as long it sounds good right?

Yes, you're right. What really matters is if it sounds good (btw, I think GS and MX sound really good, even if they have some pop elements)

I think it is safe to say that whatever we get is going to be surprising and new. There are things we should always expect from Coldplay: rousing piano, huge choruses, fun guitar solos from Jonny, and lots of catchy tunes, poppy or not. That said, it isn't going to sound like all the songs we want it to. Sure, there might be an Oceans type track that is VERY reminiscent of older Coldplay styles, but the album as a whole will delve into new territory. I almost guarantee it.

I also think Miracles signals a return to some more instrumentation, but doesn't necessarily dictate the new style. Atlas, Christmas Lights, and Miracles to me are all standalone tracks that are clearly Coldplay, but unique. Much more work and focus will be put into the album tracks, and hopefully with less overproduction and haste than Miracles, which I feel suffered from Stargate despite its solid melody and instrumentation.

well said. i'm looking forward to something new from coldplay as well. whether we'll like it or not, we'll just have to wait and see, since we officially know next to nothing about AHFOD.

also, i really liked miracles when it came out. but it is so forgettable. i haven't listened to it since it's release. i too agree it suffered at production.

Categorization is useful to a point, We tend to categorize AROBTTH as rock and GS as pop and this is because of a clear stylistic shift between those two records. But yes. Once it sounds great, is memorable and has meaning I could care less.

well said. i'm looking forward to something new from coldplay as well. whether we'll like it or not, we'll just have to wait and see, since we officially know next to nothing about AHFOD.

also, i really liked miracles when it came out. but it is so forgettable. i haven't listened to it since it's release. i too agree it suffered at production.

Yup, Miracles is just ok. Lacks reasons to hear it again and again. Not sure how to explain it other than it's too easy to grasp? A lot of Viva had interesting things that took more listens to figure out everywhere, from start to finish.. From odd time signatures, to great guitar layers, to cool drum parts, great bass lines.. I guess my impression of Viva is it really showcased creativity from all of the band, not just a hook melody like Miracles..

^To be fair, I dont think the band went 'all out' for a simple movie sound track.

Great way to put it. Funny, hadn't occurred to me until I read your post there, that the band probably focuses on making an easy catchy song FOR the movie more than for themselves..

I've been listening to a lot of VLV recently and I realized I'm still amazed at how unique and wonderfully experimental that album was. Now, as everyone is aware here I'm definitely in favor of the band's darker and grittier sounds so whats really interesting is how I think tracks like Rainy Day and Death Will Never Conquer are heavenly breathtaking and I rank them really high along with some of their best work yet. They're not exactly rock songs but they're not mainstream pop music either. Both songs have that unfathomable Coldplay quality and feel to it and work really well in VLV's context. Its the same story with The Goldrush and Lost.

I certainly don't feel that with Miracles (a lot of people think it could be an indication of how they'll sound on AHFOD) and I'm not even gonna start with MX and ASFOS. I can't quite put it into words that feel and quality I'm referring to so I'm just going to call it MAGIC. Coldplay trademark magic. Something like that!

A track that DID have this magic was Ghost Story. The moment I first listened to it was nothing short of an epiphany. I thought thank fucking god! They haven't lost it!

I really, really enjoyed Miracles when it came out. Though standalone tracks can't represent an entire alum, I completely agree it's a sign of more instrumentation. (And yes, "real drums", which is still the most silly argument I've seen on this website.) The thing that really sparked my interest with that song - something for a movie - is how it felt "like Coldplay" more than 95% of Ghost Stories did. I don't really know how to describe it. Probably the energy and guitar.

Albeit, it is still a movie song, so I hope no one thinks Coldplay put their best work into something for an average film. But, to me, hearing the loud-style Coldplay back after an album that was very quiet and very minimal was such a nice thing to hear. And that convinces me even more we're going to be pleasantly surprised with AHFOD. More than we realize, I think we miss the arena-style sound they pretty much created. Even if there are elements of pop, who gives a shit? Don't look for things to moan about, look for things you'll like and enjoy. I hope this board will not disregard an album or song because of its genre.

I've been listening to a lot of VLV recently and I realized I'm still amazed at how unique and wonderfully experimental that album was. Now, as everyone is aware here I'm definitely in favor of the band's darker and grittier sounds so whats really interesting is how I think tracks like Rainy Day and Death Will Never Conquer are heavenly breathtaking and I rank them really high along with some of their best work yet. They're not exactly rock songs but they're not mainstream pop music either. Both songs have that unfathomable Coldplay quality and feel to it and work really well in VLV's context. Its the same story with The Goldrush and Lost.

I certainly don't feel that with Miracles (a lot of people think it could be an indication of how they'll sound on AHFOD) and I'm not even gonna start with MX and ASFOS. I can't quite put it into words that feel and quality I'm referring to so I'm just going to call it MAGIC. Coldplay trademark magic. Something like that!

A track that DID have this magic was Ghost Story. The moment I first listened to it was nothing short of an epiphany. I thought thank fucking god! They haven't lost it!

imo, viva era was overall the most creative, impactful time for coldplay. the mentality that manifested this era probably won't ever happen again. the quality of output and the range of music you got wasn't ever present in any other era. and i truly believe that if coldplay hadn't got this big and instead remained a more obscure indie band, we would have gotten a completely different discography. you can see the need to please the listeners when you look at the songs selected for lps when some of their best work was left for b-sides or eps.

but that's another thing i love about coldplay. only the hardcore fans know the more obscure, best work.

Is this true "most of the foursome are dissatisfied with the sounds they released.", where did that come from? If anything I remember Chris saying he was very proud of GS many times... Regardless, I'm not the biggest GS fan, so I'd be more than happy if this was true.

^ I hadn't heard that before. As I understood it though, Chris seemed to be the main driving force behind GS so it wouldn't surprise me if the rest of the guys felt a little dissatisfied about it looking back. It did seem to me that they weren't all "there" for the songs, if that makes any sense? Like they could have just plopped three random musicians down with Chris and wound up with the same song?

^^ Agreed.

Am I the only one who doesn't want any lyrics involving stars on A Head Full of Dreams? :laugh3:

I don't want any lyrics reminding me of anything off the last two albums :lol:

. . . Except maybe All Your Friends. And Ghost Story. And Midnight.

Miracles 2.0 ?!

Please god,no ! One of their worst songs lately imho. Even if im alone with this opinion.

You're not alone !! Imho a very bland song, and not at all a "return to the start". For me, Miracles was the point when I began to worry (after MX and GS had, in my opinion, led downhill) that Coldplay get dangerously close to mediocrity and irrelevance.

Although one shouldn't forget it was written for a movie, after all.

On the general discussion, I really want to hear something new from Coldplay, can't wait for LP7 or a single, but I am equally afraid I won't like it. There's not just the pop issue, it's also that Chris's voice is clearly past its heyday. But sometimes I think, whatever the future will bring, we have got all these great songs the guys gave us and that we can go back to and listen at any time (and I especially mean the first 3 albums),....so relax :)

Oh, and @The Adversary: yes, I have the exact same trouble, and I've been discussing it with Batman on the "Coldplay Minions" thread

I hope it is all true but Internet journalism is so sketchy, sensationalist and speculative nowadays... For all we know, every other news source is using our speculation and the Sun's "source" as their evidence, and the rumor mill turns on.

On the general discussion, I really want to hear something new from Coldplay, can't wait for LP7 or a single, but I am equally afraid I won't like it. There's not just the pop issue, it's also that Chris's voice is clearly past its heyday. But sometimes I think, whatever the future will bring, we have got all these great songs the guys gave us and that we can go back to and listen at any time (and I especially mean the first 3 albums),....so relax

I don't think his voice is past its heyday, I think I just is the shining teen voice that can reach F5 without a thought. His voice is still pretty solid though, especially since he has been singing since 1997.

I think that the "rumor" released by the Sun isn't a rumor. A couple more websites had confirmed even if they are small ones.

actually those are just repeating what the sun reported originally. nothing independent.