✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

Sooo . . . how long does the mixing process last? Is it a thing of the guys recording a song and then immediately turning around and mixing/completing it? Or are all the songs recorded and then mixed at the end one after another?

Or do we know :P

X

There are 5 stages/phases in a Album production: Recording > Editing > Mixing > Mastering > Printing.

Mixing phase is when you choose: the volume of each instrument, if they should be listened more to the left or right in the speakers (panorate), add effects to try to create a room/place feeling or add effects like distortion, reversed sounds, compression or other.

During mixing, effects/plugins and other terms are common. Like: compressor (limit the dynamic range of the sound), eq (changing the frequency spectrum/balance), side-chain compressing (compress a instrument based on another volume), bus channels, reverb (create the sound of a room/place), delay, multiband-compressor (compress different frequencies separately), de-esser(removing "s" and "shh" sounds in singing).

Here also you will have a bad time if during the recording phase the instruments are not properly separated in different tracks. Mixing one instrument track that have sound from other instruments can work in acoustic recordings when all is well played. If not, big problems might come up.

So, when mixing one controls many channels (can be hundreds) at the same time. Mixing also involves several final mix & trial mastering exercises and "listening" different versions to recognize weakness and remixing to obtain a better sound before a proper mastering job is done.

Looks like we're nearly there!!!

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest diogo_sg

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

"I live to see the world"

Guest diogo_sg

What's the Mastering phase tho?

EDIT: Nevermind. I'll check that myself [emoji4]

I still don't think that this discourages a new single dropping in the next few weeks. He could be working on the album and their first single could already be mixed and mastered, and ready to go. Or he could be focusing on the single itself for now. He can resume work on the album after the single is finished. That's just my opinion anyway. If they do drop a single, I think it's gonna be closer to the live dates next month. Maybe August 31? That's sounds like a good date to me, and if not that I'm saying September 7. But they could surprise us all and drop it on Monday. Who knows, but I am getting really antsy waiting for something. Anything! I'm hoping the anon is right and it's coming soon though.

Yeah, he could be putting final touches on mixes, mixing in last minute changes.. Or (hope not) officially starting to do final mixes for the album.. But from what I read on an interview he did, they kind of mix as they record.. So most likely just final touches

Yeah, he could be putting final touches on mixes, mixing in last minute changes.. Or (hope not) officially starting to do final mixes for the album.. But from what I read on an interview he did, they kind of mix as they record.. So most likely just final touches

Exactly my thoughts!

Rik Simpson retweeted this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/Rikademus">@Rikademus</a> mixing the album. ❤️❤️❤️</p>— Oscar Villasenor (@ov3la) <a href="https://twitter.com/ov3la/status/632204323452116993">August 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"We're not scaremongering, this is really happening!" :happy2:

Most certainly a mix. We already know Phil Tan has been mixing with The boys, so that could be a single ready to go while Rik finishes up the last tracks. Either way they mix and record at different paces, judging on how long it takes for them to record. I am glad to see Rik working away. He has done great in the past.

Guest diogo_sg

I think it's so strange that we don't have anything from the band yet. No photos, no videos, no nothing!!

• Administrators
I think it's so strange that we don't have anything from the band yet. No photos, no videos, no nothing!!

I think we might get a single maybe this sunday/monday or or next week, then we might get an album cover. Or maybe they might just drop the album on iTunes someday!

Guest diogo_sg
I think we might get a single maybe this sunday/monday or or next week, then we might get an album cover. Or maybe they might just drop the album on iTunes someday!

Everyone says that something will drop next X or Y. But it never happens [emoji24]

Everyone says that something will drop next X or Y. But it never happens [emoji24]

For the past err, 9 months? :nod:

anyone remember how far ahead coldplay posted that gif from midnight before they released the song (on a sunday midnight if i remember correctly)?

It was Midnight Mongolian time I believe. It was on a Monday, at about 18:30 UK time I think. That was when the email was sent out anyway.

anyone remember how far ahead coldplay posted that gif from midnight before they released the song (on a sunday midnight if i remember correctly)?

Three days before. They had one gif each day for three days, before they tweeted out the Mongolian tweet like Marc said.

Three days before. They had one gif each day for three days, before they tweeted out the Mongolian tweet like Marc said.

ah, thanks. there's no saying what they'll do based on what they did last time around. we'll see.