✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

Good find!! But that video doesn't necessarily mean we will get a lot of modular synths, which they have been using for a while. It is just a goal of his, but I don't know if that means a lot more for Coldplay.

So did the boys record in several locations for GS too? It seems like since Chris is in LA that is something they were up to for the last era.. Don't know what to think about that.

yes true. modular synth use is a reach. on GS recordings, i remember them saying in an interview that the band spend 2 weeks in LA and then in london alternatively as they share band custody. so probably recorded in london and LA.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh c'mon now...iunno who is running Coldplaying's twitter account but the interview never said or even hinted that synths will "feature" in LP7. Perhaps they'll be involved in LP7, but to say it'll feature is false. IMO, that is just as misleading as when the 'bloids said Coldplay are quitting after what Chris said about it being like the final Harry Potter novel....

RE, JC's comment about Twitter : There are different things being stated about the video from each of you, please clarify? I've scanned this thread + posted the video but can't anaylise the video myself right now.

In response to "What are you working on?" Rik says LP7, and notes the recording in different places.

The next question for what do you want to do in 2015, he says "lots of modular synths."

One could make the connection that he means modular synths IN LP7....or not.

RE, JC's comment about Twitter : There are different things being stated about the video from each of you, please clarify? I've scanned this thread + posted the video but can't anaylise the video myself right now.

The exact quotes of interest is here. Rik Simpson was asked what he was up to/working on at the moment, to which he responded:

"New Coldplay album, LP7 I think it is, which is going well, lots of travelling and recording in different locations but we're still based here in London pretty much for most of our time".

As a follow up he was asked what his plans are for 2015 to which he said "use more modular synths", in a joking sort of manner.

Iunno, I would need more to go off of to go ahead and announce that synths will feature in LP7.

In response to "What are you working on?" Rik says LP7, and notes the recording in different places.

The next question for what do you want to do in 2015, he says "lots of modular synths."

One could make the connection that he means modular synths IN LP7....or not.

I can live with that, but what was tweeted was that it will FEATURE, like it will be a main focal point of something, which I don't think he meant at all.

A new interview with Coldplay's producer, Rik Simpson (Tech talk). We can expect 'modular synths' to feature on LP7
sauce

edit: sorry about the scary bolding y'all

i was just wondering something when Chris said in an interview "Not to say that there might not be another thing one day, but this is the completion of something" does he mean its the end of something just need to clarify things up :)

i was just wondering something when Chris said in an interview "Not to say that there might not be another thing one day, but this is the completion of something" does he mean its the end of something just need to clarify things up :)

Clarification from the band afterwards suggests he meant that its the end of a theme that was running since LP1 and will end with LP7. It does NOT mean the band are splitting up after LP7.

Can't wait to see what happens in the next "cycle" - lp1-7 seems to cover a lot of ground so where they will go with their creative rebirth is intriguing... Perhaps we will see some dramatic alteration like a name change or addition to the line up...the end of the record deal makes the prospekt of lp8-15 all the more enticing.

Probably won't be any big change though.

Can't wait to see what happens in the next "cycle" - lp1-7 seems to cover a lot of ground so where they will go with their creative rebirth is intriguing... Perhaps we will see some dramatic alteration like a name change or addition to the line up...the end of the record deal makes the prospekt of lp8-15 all the more enticing.

Probably won't be any big change though.

lolwut? So you went through a bunch of stuff you can see them changing (name change, new member, etc) and you end with doing a 180 and say there probably wont be any changes....?

Anywho, yeah, don't see any big changes. Coldplay have said themselves that they aren't the best technically; they don't have the fastest guitarist or the loudest drummer or anything, but what sets them apart is their chemistry. I do not see them messing with that formula whatsoever.

lolwut? So you went through a bunch of stuff you can see them changing (name change, new member, etc) and you end with doing a 180 and say there probably wont be any changes....?

Anywho, yeah, don't see any big changes. Coldplay have said themselves that they aren't the best technically; they don't have the fastest guitarist or the loudest drummer or anything, but what sets them apart is their chemistry. I do not see them messing with that formula whatsoever.

That was just idle speculation lol - yea I can't see any lineup changes but hopefully something will set the next "cycle" apart from this one.

Maybe Will will become the lead singer????

you know i was thinking about this awhile ago. the thing is, as sweet as will's voice is, it is not a lead vocal type. for me it feels too sweet and subtle, at least from what we've heard so far. it also goes to show how much character chris' voice has. but a couple of will's lead vocals would be pretty great.

you know i was thinking about this awhile ago. the thing is, as sweet as will's voice is, it is not a lead vocal type. for me it feels too sweet and subtle, at least from what we've heard so far. it also goes to show how much character chris' voice has. but a couple of will's lead vocals would be pretty great.

We already have two songs with Will on lead vocals. (The Goldrush, Death Will Never Conquer [Live])

I still think the close of this chapter means they're going to start their own record company...bakery records LLC or something.

This makes sense from the thought processes we keep hearing Chris refer to in interviews...the best example being that extended Zane interview.

Remember the part where he talks about all the LPs and the percentages of "what they wanted it to be..." AROBTTH and GS being like 90-95% and up if I recall correctly.... X&Y being like 50%

Where this leaves the direction for LP7...who knows...if they're just trying to fulfill contractional obligations.

Coldplay has reached a point where they shouldn't care what record execs say....they're f'ing coldplay.

I came on board with CP very early...hearing Yellow on Radio 1 all of those years ago and instantly falling in love....a love that carries on today.

AROBTTH is still my favorite sound for sure and X&Y has very sentimental value to me for various reasons...that being said I found GS to be a fascinating hybrid of old CP and their own growth and maturing as a band.

not to mention the deep emotion felt by chris during the writing process (!) and the whole band's own interpretation of it....

love it.

We also have live performances where Will sings lead vocals in Us Against the World at the very end. :) Muse's the 2nd Law has two songs sung by Chris Wolstenholme (their bassist)...a 2-song Will interlude would be fun. :D

I agree that his voice is less lead-vocal-ish. I think this is a dichotomy that seems to exist in a lot of good bands. If you think of Oasis, the Who, U2, Coldplay itself, Muse...to name a few...the lead singer is a technically worse singer than the chief backup vocalist (Noel Gallagher, Pete Townshend, the Edge, Will, Chris Wolstenholme). But it's still something fresh that Coldplay hasn't brought to the forefront.

Yeah, we are. It's just that since you said songs with his lead vocals would be interesting, I mentioned two songs that have his lead vocals.

ah gotcha.

and i do agree that will seems to be the more technical singer in the band. also i think most people around here would be very happy if coldplay make their own label after lp7. but i have a hard time seeing that since the band mostly seem to shy away from the business side of things, except maybe for phil taking a lead.