✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The other night, I had a dream Chris released Track 1, and a B-side, from LP7. Track 1 had a long title like (the very awesome) Radio Dial - Waltz in B-Minor title. It sounded like the lovechild of Viva and MX, and it was the coolest sounding thing I've ever heard by them. There were fourteen tracks. And hilariously enough, I remember telling someone (???), "Wow, this B-side sounds like U2." Turns out it was.

Gotta love my imagination playing tricks on me, hahaha. :lol:

Haha. :smug:

Ha. :huh:

:mean:

Stands for Fixed That For You.

Fixed?

ohhh i mean the album eras!

MX - 12 (Mylo Xyloto, A Hopeful Transmission, M.M.I.X. didn't a full song. almost one song in eachother... "MX+HURTS LIKE HEAVEN")

GS - 11 (Without O, O part 2)

Viva 22 (Without acoustic versions etc.) aaaaand more songs: The Dubliners, Spanish Rain....

Watched Live 2003 the other day and it just shows how much their sound has changed - not that this is a a bad thing but I wish for more shows (maybe after lp7, but given clues so far probably not) with no confetti for every other track , big lights, costumes, or electronic drum kits - just 4 people playing organic rock music driven by pop melodies and structure...

A few lyrics like "AROBTTH" wouldn't hurt either :)

Yeah, the live 2003 dvd is great, they where really diffrent.

I dont like the confetti stuff, but what i do like is their diffrent kinds of musicstyles.

GS is their masterpiece in my opinion. Hope they go for more minimalistic tracks, its where they are good in.

Watched Live 2003 the other day and it just shows how much their sound has changed - not that this is a a bad thing but I wish for more shows (maybe after lp7, but given clues so far probably not) with no confetti for every other track , big lights, costumes, or electronic drum kits - just 4 people playing organic rock music driven by pop melodies and structure...

A few lyrics like "AROBTTH" wouldn't hurt either :)

I just watched the 2003 Hollywood Bowl gig (where they play Poor Me, One I Love, Moses... :D). It's funny seeing 1. the bass distortion near the end of Daylight, 2. Jonny improvising on One I Love, AROBTTH guitar solos. There's still a hint of that when you see them perform GPASUYF. Even Major Minus had a hint of that (since Jonny improvised his parts in the verses).

I don't mind the high level of production at shows, but what I'd like to see is the return of AROBTTH-style instrumentation, which is very guitar/piano heavy. Like a 80-20 split between old-Coldplay instrumentation and stuff-like-Midnight...all of this towards a new stylistic direction though. That could be EDM (which would be interesting - if they delve into more than one facet of what EDM or techno mean, which GS started to do with Midnight vs ASFOS + electronic drums everywhere + Oceans + the vocal sample on Another's Arms). That could be MX part 2 (I think it is overly reductive to pretend like MX is just an overproduced album - I think it was Coldplay's most musically diverse album with interesting/nuanced lyrics written from the same mindset as VLV but over an interesting theme).

Miracles might be foreshadowing of my hope - that things will be guitar/piano based but towards a new style. In this case, aggressively-feel-good music. :lol:

^

I could not agree more with you. I am really anxious for some old-style instrumentation laced with some of the modern elements of their songs like Midnight and Magic which are absolutely superb. They are such talented musicians and have a great knack for atmosphere, especially when it is hauntingly beautiful, so they are capable of coming up with a truly incredible alternative pop album that can please all of us :) I was listening to their discography on shuffle today and a couple songs stood out that I would like to see more of that demonstrate this: I Bloom Blaum, Lovers In Japan/Reign of Love, Violet Hill, Death Will Never Conquer, ETIAW, Major Minus, Daylight. Miracles hopefully is a sign of more guitar and piano to come (but like you say, hopefully not so aggressively upbeat which I found to be electronic claps, yeah yeah yeah's, etc.)

And I agree that an MX 2 would be very welcome. I know that album as a whole meets some hostility, but I agree that it is a beautiful companion to Viva sonically and sometimes lyrically. If it weren't for a few of the latter tracks like POC and Up In Flames, it could have been a 10/10 album in my rating.

What I really miss from Coldplay on parts of GS and Miracles are those little surprises you can find in a song which is what I am hoping for in AHFOD. I am talking about those sparkling xylobrytes, those tremulous, wobbling, sharp guitars, those epic, sometimes folky strings/acoustic guitar, glockenspiels, worldly drums, ominous foggy atmospheres, layers upon layers of dense, rich sounds both colorful and somber.

Most of all, I hope that as a pop album, it will stay away from some of the plasticy molds that sometimes dominate mainstream radio hits. Miracles is a fine song, but it has some of these little pop tricks that sound cheap to me, especially in the drumming department. ASFOS does this even more so. They have proven time and time again that they can make a worldwide radio hit without conformity or sacrificing originality: Clocks, VLV, Paradise, Talk. A rich, alternative album with stellar, original, unique pop hits from Coldplay--- adding it to my new year's wish list :santa2:

^

I could not agree more with you. I am really anxious for some old-style instrumentation laced with some of the modern elements of their songs like Midnight and Magic which are absolutely superb. They are such talented musicians and have a great knack for atmosphere, especially when it is hauntingly beautiful, so they are capable of coming up with a truly incredible alternative pop album that can please all of us :) I was listening to their discography on shuffle today and a couple songs stood out that I would like to see more of that demonstrate this: I Bloom Blaum, Lovers In Japan/Reign of Love, Violet Hill, Death Will Never Conquer, ETIAW, Major Minus, Daylight. Miracles hopefully is a sign of more guitar and piano to come (but like you say, hopefully not so aggressively upbeat which I found to be electronic claps, yeah yeah yeah's, etc.)

And I agree that an MX 2 would be very welcome. I know that album as a whole meets some hostility, but I agree that it is a beautiful companion to Viva sonically and sometimes lyrically. If it weren't for a few of the latter tracks like POC and Up In Flames, it could have been a 10/10 album in my rating.

What I really miss from Coldplay on parts of GS and Miracles are those little surprises you can find in a song which is what I am hoping for in AHFOD. I am talking about those sparkling xylobrytes, those tremulous, wobbling, sharp guitars, those epic, sometimes folky strings/acoustic guitar, glockenspiels, worldly drums, ominous foggy atmospheres, layers upon layers of dense, rich sounds both colorful and somber.

Most of all, I hope that as a pop album, it will stay away from some of the plasticy molds that sometimes dominate mainstream radio hits. Miracles is a fine song, but it has some of these little pop tricks that sound cheap to me, especially in the drumming department. ASFOS does this even more so. They have proven time and time again that they can make a worldwide radio hit without conformity or sacrificing originality: Clocks, VLV, Paradise, Talk. A rich, alternative album with stellar, original, unique pop hits from Coldplay--- adding it to my new year's wish list :santa2:

Hate to say it, but as much as we all want that, Coldplay isn't making an album for us. The millions of fans who love their ASFOS and Paradises are getting this album i think.

^There is still hope for our kind. With the trend Coldplay has been moving in during this decade, I unfortunately cannot deny the existence of some songs that don't suit my more alternative taste. However, MX an GS are albums I still love despite their glossy pop tunes.

No matter how we look at it, there will be alternative leaning tracks, and all out radio chart toppers. That has always been Coldplay. The scale has been leaning towards pure pop with the last two albums, but maybe it will sway back towards something like Viva with this one. If we get an album with say, 10 alternative leaning tracks and two ASFOS' I would be very pleased. And ASFOS was really close to being a good song in my opinion. They could make a super poppy album with really good production styles to make it work for me. I am feeling optimistic, but then again, that could destroy my expectations down the road...

^I am right with ya! I want to hear some really flashy, drum oriented songs with cymbal flares and dynamic beats that are surprising and fresh! But if they go back toward drumpads, I want to see some really intense experimentation, not just 2x4 4x4 beats that there were a ton of on GS. I am talking shattering sounds and wobbles and cool synthy percussion. Nothing pleases me more than cool drumming and I love how many new corridors drumpads are opening up for percussionists, especially in Hip-Hop. it is the future of music.

Good find!! But that video doesn't necessarily mean we will get a lot of modular synths, which they have been using for a while. It is just a goal of his, but I don't know if that means a lot more for Coldplay.

So did the boys record in several locations for GS too? It seems like since Chris is in LA that is something they were up to for the last era.. Don't know what to think about that.