✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

Guest howyousawtheworld

How I'd love a Coldplay album produced/collaborated with Jon Hopkins. He is the new Brian Eno. Unbelievably talented musician (trained pianist at the highest level as well) who would give Coldplay a much needed critical rejuvenation.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How I'd love a Coldplay album produced/collaborated with Jon Hopkins. He is the new Brian Eno. Unbelievably talented musician (trained pianist at the highest level as well) who would give Coldplay a much needed critical rejuvenation.

His albums are so soothing! I always listen to them while studying.

I agree with a lot of these lasts two pages.

Coldplay has also made a lot of growers lately -- songs that on first listen seem good but after repeated listening one gets more attached to. It's been like this for me since MX for sure (Paradise was a grower, and I even appreciate ETIAW much more than when I first heard it).

HFTW, Fun, Army of One, Everglow, Up&Up -- all pretty much growers. Only had the woah reaction first time to Birds, Amazing Day, title track. Not a bad thing -- I think that's why you see a positive shift in the last few days on here.

Don't think XMTS will grow though unforunately (or fortunately haha).

• Like 1

Guest howyousawtheworld
His albums are so soothing! I always listen to them while studying.

I'm all for more Jon Hopkins tracks. After finding out where Life in Technicolor came from I got into his music, and some of it is seriously brilliant.

He really is. Bordering on genius. My brother bought his and King Creosote's collaborative album Diamond Mine and he did all these field recordings that would act as atmospherics to King Creosote's songs (real name Kenny Anderson). It's a concept album based on the Scottish region of Fife which, incidentally is where Guy Berryman is from. Great stuff.

I think he could really twist and turn some concepts by Coldplay. Midnight worked so well. His backing track was astonishing and it seemed to work so well tandem with Chris's melody and voice effect. It's the best thing they've ever done from the last three albums. Coldplay could more than afford to become artistically creative again. They should focus on what is possible in the studio not what it may sound like on stage. They will always be able to sell out arenas and stadiums but most of the time I yearn an album where they can really surprise us again.

I don't think they can re create Viva La Vida again where they perfectly blended experimental tricks with big arena sounding appeal but I don't expect anymore big arena set pieces any more because, well I've got a load of those songs and performances to satisfy me for a lifetime. I want them to go full on Kid A, abandon the stage, embrace the studio and embrace innovation and create stunning soundscapes. It would be a brave statement from the band and when hearing tunes like Midnight, Chinese Sleep Chant et al I'm certain they would pull it off with flying colours.

I put my post up

and wait for just a minute

for any replies

the like have no limit

I put my post up

for any replies

the likes have no limit

and I know

and I know

and I know

and I know what I wrote

and I know

and I know

and I know

and I know what you'll quote

so I put my post up

for any replies

the likes have no limit...

• Like 9

I don't want to wear out AHFOD to soon but it's the only album I want to listen to!

#firstworldproblems

I always do that with a new album I really love! I wear it out until I must listen to something else or my ears will explode haha

How I'd love a Coldplay album produced/collaborated with Jon Hopkins. He is the new Brian Eno.

When Midnight was released as a teaser I thought it was the most brilliant thing I´d ever heard from Coldplay! SO innovative and beautiful! I´d very much welcome more collaborations or songs inspired by Jon in future Coldplay albums.

• Like 1

I want them to go full on Kid A, abandon the stage, embrace the studio and embrace innovation and create stunning soundscapes. It would be a brave statement from the band and when hearing tunes like Midnight, Chinese Sleep Chant et al I'm certain they would pull it off with flying colours.

I did not like Kid A hehe But no doubt they could make more experimental tracks (and I like to add X marks the spot to that list, say what you like about the track but its experimental as in a very new sound for them) and make them sound still melodic , still Coldplay.

I dont think an album like this is to be excluded, in fact I think it might be likely even. It all depends on how much they want to tour after AHFOD hehe Because a passionate live band like Coldplay could never have put on the shows they do with a catalogue solely of Parachutes or "Kid As" hehe But yeah I´d be happy to see such an album ! I always wanted more tracks like those.

• Like 1

I always do that with a new album I really love! I wear it out until I must listen to something else or my ears will explode haha

When Midnight was released as a teaser I thought it was the most brilliant thing I´d ever heard from Coldplay! SO innovative and beautiful! I´d very much welcome more collaborations or songs inspired by Jon in future Coldplay albums.

I quite like GS and I think is the best album of the post-Viva part of their career. But, if I could say, I really wished all the tracks would be as inspired and inspiring as Midnight, and they weren't. I really agree on what someone said some posts ago: if they could blend Midnight and Chinese Sleep Chant style, making a LP8 with shoegaze/dreampop vibes and an IDM/ambient backgrounds would be certainly a masterpiece.

• Like 1

I quite like GS and I think is the best album of the post-Viva part of their career. But, if I could say, I really wished all the tracks would be as inspired and inspiring as Midnight, and they weren't.

I kinda did too when GS first came out, I thought/hoped for more Midnight tracks, but when I heard the new songs live I was very happy they released those as well! As much as I say "oh I ´d love a WHOLE album like this!" I am not sure I would ultimately prefer it to the mixed genre albums they have released so far. But yeah Midnight, Chinese and X and the experimental stuff I love because i can tell they can do it without losing their melodies in the process (which is the risk when u do experimental stuff)

• Like 1

I kinda did too when GS first came out, I thought/hoped for more Midnight tracks, but when I heard the new songs live I was very happy they released those as well! As much as I say "oh I ´d love a WHOLE album like this!" I am not sure I would ultimately prefer it to the mixed genre albums they have released so far. But yeah Midnight, Chinese and X and the experimental stuff I love because i can tell they can do it without losing their melodies in the process (which is the risk when u do experimental stuff)

Yes, they also need to keep their magic touch and classic formula to be original, but, well, if they want to take a new direction I suggest that one :D

• Like 1

Wasn't he technically listed as a producer for Viva?

I 100% agree though, Coldplay and Jon Hopkins are the two best musical entities I could imagine pairing together (coming from someone who loves both Life in Technicolor and Midnight). If/When they come back for LP8, I want Hopkins on board so they can just do a full-blown ambient/experimental rock album full of songs like CSC and Midnight. Would be a great and unique way to start their new "book."

• Like 1

I 100% agree though, Coldplay and Jon Hopkins are the two best musical entities I could imagine pairing together (coming from someone who loves both Life in Technicolor and Midnight). If/When they come back for LP8, I want Hopkins on board so they can just do a full-blown ambient/experimental rock album full of songs like CSC and Midnight. Would be a great and unique way to start their new "book."

What is CSC?

You know what? I like AHFOD, but however it doesn't make me feel the way I felt with other Coldplay eras. I mean, today for example In My Place was played in a tv show, and later I also listened Prospekt's March/Poppyfields, and oh God, with those songs (and many others) I have goosebumps... I know that I really like something when I have that feeling. I don't know if it is because of my experiences when I heard those songs when they were released or if it's just the nostalgia.

• Like 1

You know what? I like AHFOD, but however it doesn't make me feel the way I felt with other Coldplay eras. I mean, today for example In My Place was played in a tv show, and later I also listened Prospekt's March/Poppyfields, and oh God, with those songs (and many others) I have goosebumps... I know that I really like something when I have that feeling. I don't know if it is because of my experiences when I heard those songs when they were released or if it's just the nostalgia.

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that everything is still fresh, even if it's been a month since some of the stuff has been out. I felt like that with the Ghost Stories era at first, but now I get those 'classic' feelings when I listen to stuff like Always In My Head and Ghost Story.

• Like 1

Guest howyousawtheworld

Yeah he was listed as a producer but I'd love to see him really up the ante as a sole producer (well...him and Brian Eno in an ideal world!) on a future Coldplay album. It's be great if Chris just said 'we'll do it your way'.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Pretty sure the field recording at the start of Prospekts March before the guitar comes in is Jon Hopkins.

I love that song. I can imagine a Victorian/Dickensian skyline or even a battlefield with the smoke of a nearby village/hamlet rising straight up on a cold and bitter frosty morning. Some beautifully quaint moments they created during the Viva era.

Pretty sure the field recording at the start of Prospekts March before the guitar comes in is Jon Hopkins.

I love that song. I can imagine a Victorian/Dickensian skyline or even a battlefield with the smoke of a nearby village/hamlet rising straight up on a cold and bitter frosty morning. Some beautifully quaint moments they created during the Viva era.

That's a beautiful description.

• Like 1

I don't give a shit if this album got only negative critical reviews. This album is fucking good.

The reviews are actually pretty good... considering the fact that respected reviewers like NME and Rolling Stones gave the album a 4/5. Also, considering the fact that every Coldplay album since X&Y has been bashed on by critics, AHFOD's ratings are actually pretty solid.

Also, considering the fact that every Coldplay album since X&Y has been bashed on by critics, AHFOD's ratings are actually pretty solid.

I would not say GS was bashed as far as I can remember, MX had mixed reviews, all above 60 actually. (I still cant believe X&Y got as high as 72, same as Viva! I mean I loved it when it came out, but I am a fan only interested in how the music sounds. X&Y , unlike Viva, is undeniably too long and bloated, I would have expected critics to pick up on that)

I am pleasantly surprised about the NY Times review though: I so did not expect that! :)