✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

As much as everyone has a right to their own musical taste, this makes me wonder about your unfailing criticisms of most things Coldplay does ;)

So I guess you are saying Chris musical taste sucks as he likes both Rihanna, Beyonce and Selena Gomez *LOL* Fair nuff :)

I dont consider Rihanna or Beyonce or Miley Cyrus as "artists" to be honest...being a musician and songwriter myself I always consider music artists those who actually write their own songs and play instruments :) But I do appreciate that the aforementioned are mostly singers and they are mostly about their looks and voice. Moreover there are quite a few talented people behind the scenes writing for the pop world, obscure swedish people mostly I heard hehe

I am always wary of people judging others´musical taste. I listen to almost everything from Mozart to Sigur Ros to Coldplay to Tori Amos. My criteria is simply if I like a song, I´ll buy it, I dont care who sings it or where its from or in what genre or if its deemed a "respectable music taste" to have :) That said, I follow closely only a very few bands, which I consider true artists in all their facets, like Coldplay, Lana Del Rey, Noel Gallagher, Tori Amos and some obscure danish ones you would not know LOL

Lastly I dont have unfailing criticism about anything. I like Coldplay but you won't see me front row or visiting them at the bakery hehe (not that theres nothing wrong with that, on the contrary, I am just not that fan fan I guess :).

If album #8 turns out to be a jazz album, you won't see me praising it on this forum I assure you *LOL* It just so happens that I am lucky enough to like all their catalogue so far ,like a few other artists :)

• Like 1

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How I'd love a Coldplay album produced/collaborated with Jon Hopkins. He is the new Brian Eno. Unbelievably talented musician (trained pianist at the highest level as well) who would give Coldplay a much needed critical rejuvenation.

Don't forget Davide Rossi as well, he makes Coldplay's music a million times better. Birds and Amazing Day might be the two best tracks on the album.

• Like 2

So I guess you are saying Chris musical taste sucks as he likes both Rihanna, Beyonce and Selena Gomez *LOL* Fair nuff :)

I dont consider Rihanna or Beyonce or Miley Cyrus as "artists" to be honest...being a musician and songwriter myself I always consider music artists those who actually write their own songs and play instruments :) But I do appreciate that the aforementioned are mostly singers and they are mostly about their looks and voice. Moreover there are quite a few talented people behind the scenes writing for the pop world, obscure swedish people mostly I heard hehe

I am always wary of people judging others´musical taste. I listen to almost everything from Mozart to Sigur Ros to Coldplay to Tori Amos. My criteria is simply if I like a song, I´ll buy it, I dont care who sings it or where its from or in what genre or if its deemed a "respectable music taste" to have :) That said, I follow closely only a very few bands, which I consider true artists in all their facets, like Coldplay, Lana Del Rey, Noel Gallagher, Tori Amos and some obscure danish ones you would not know LOL

Lastly I dont have unfailing criticism about anything. I like Coldplay but you won't see me front row or visiting them at the bakery hehe (not that theres nothing wrong with that, on the contrary, I am just not that fan fan I guess :).

If album #8 turns out to be a jazz album, you won't see me praising it on this forum I assure you *LOL* It just so happens that I am lucky enough to like all their catalogue so far ,like a few other artists :)

I'll definitely agree that it doesn't matter whether or not it's "respectable music." I listen to a lot of One Direction and Demi Lovato. I think What Do You Mean by JB is a pretty good song, first of his I've felt that way. I just can't find anything redeeming in the music of some artists and Miley Cyrus is absolutely one of them (for me)

Never been to a concert or The Bakery either. :/ Sigh. I didn't mean you. I Ran Away makes a lot of strong criticisms of Coldplay. They're usually quite insightful. It just strikes me to hear IRA praise Wrecking Ball when it's way more pop and more specifically generic than anything Coldplay has done imo. But everyone's taste is different.

Also I would LOVE A JAZZ ALBUM. Why is everyone so down on jazz? Will is such a talented musician I bet they could do so much with jazz! :) I've actually been hoping that's what the next album would be, even since Chris half-jokingly said they'd do jazz fusion next. Want so bad. *fingers crossed* :D

I just can't find anything redeeming in the music of some artists and Miley Cyrus is absolutely one of them (for me)

I dont feel Miley Cyrus is in need of redemption LOL But I must admit I only know that song by her, Wrecking Ball and I like it (though I dont own it), I also only know one song by Selena Gomez "Good for you" and that one I own. One Direction makes me cringe haha but just because boybands so not me, though they must have some good songs cuz I absolutely love the one Chris duetted with Grande at the Global Citizen Festival.

I Ran Away makes a lot of strong criticisms of Coldplay. They're usually quite insightful. It just strikes me to hear IRA praise Wrecking Ball when it's way more pop and more specifically generic than anything Coldplay has done imo. But everyone's taste is different.

I dont know about others but whether I like a song or not is not a logical process for me. Its not like you can explain all the time why you like something. You just do :) So yeah sure sometimes it may not make sense to others...

Also I would LOVE A JAZZ ALBUM. Why is everyone so down on jazz?

I tried to like jazz, I really did...I never managed to. I need a melody to like a song, thats how my brain works I guess :)

It just strikes me to hear IRA praise Wrecking Ball when it's way more pop and more specifically generic than anything Coldplay has done imo.

Praise is a little bit overstated. I only said I liked the melody when I heard it on the radio, I never said the song as a whole was particularly deep or good and I can assure you it did not end up on my playlist :D

I agree with Leo personal things like whether you just happen to like a particular riff or not play a big role in our assessment of music. I am also strongly melody-driven in my music liking, meaning that songs that seem to float around going noewhere instead of having a strong lead melody (example: Always In My Head) are not for me. You said you thought What do you mean was a good song ? Well, I think it's terrible, and if I were to choose between this and Wrecking Ball, I would choose tha latter. That's just our different opinions. :) As for the "artists", I think both Bieber and Cyrus are as shallow and commercial as modern music "artists" can get.

My criticisms of Coldplay may sometimes sound harsh, but I also set an extremely high standard for them because I have listened to all their works and I know they are very talented and great musicians !

• Like 3

I wish there were more songs on this album that I like. :( I only really care about AHFOD, Birds and Fun... Most of them I can tolerate but I am not enjoying specifically... And after Fun, I just don't even feel like listening to the rest of the album. I swore I would never even play X marks the spot in my whole life, ever, it never happened. Army of One I find incredibly boring, and Amazing Day and Up&Up are just... meh to me.

I would not say GS was bashed as far as I can remember, MX had mixed reviews, all above 60 actually. (I still cant believe X&Y got as high as 72, same as Viva! I mean I loved it when it came out, but I am a fan only interested in how the music sounds. X&Y , unlike Viva, is undeniably too long and bloated, I would have expected critics to pick up on that)

I am pleasantly surprised about the NY Times review though: I so did not expect that! :)

You can never have too much Coldplay on one album, no? :p If it's a good album, it can be 2 hours long for all I care! We've probably missed out on a few songs since they've been convinced an album should be close to 42 mins in length.

Bieber on Rolling Stones and NME lists? Where's that Futurama Meme? ;)

• Like 2

You can never have too much Coldplay on one album, no? [emoji14] If it's a good album, it can be 2 hours long for all I care! We've probably missed out on a few songs since they've been convinced an album should be close to 42 mins in length.

*Cough* Car Kids *Cough* [emoji38]

• Like 1

Just listened to Glass Of Water and one thing is for sure: in LP8, Will has to come back banging the drums as he did on that song.

It would be nice if the rest of the band came back for LP8, they're non existent in LP7. It's like CM feat. electronic sounds and special guests.

It would be nice if the rest of the band came back for LP8, they're non existent in LP7. It's like CM feat. electronic sounds.

ummm, that was lp6. lp7 is a guy record. and jonny. will is not too bad either (in a few songs).

• Like 1

I'm struggling to hear them under the layers of production "noise".

i'm with you on the over production. but let's not get carried away :) anyway, i'll be replacing a few songs with their live versions which are far superior.

• Like 2

Guest howyousawtheworld
Apropos of last week's Justin Bieber discussion, his songs are in the top 10 songs of the year lists by Rolling Stone and NME while Coldplay is near the end of the list.

CVjOpU_W4AElCzM.jpg

Woah woah woah! (That's English for stop a horse)

No one's claiming that Rolling Stone or NME are in any way credible! They might have been, one time, but certainly not today.

meaning that songs that seem to float around going noewhere instead of having a strong lead melody (example: Always In My Head) are not for me.

But....Jonny´s lick is gorgeously melodic hehe :) But yeah I know what kind of songs you mean. About Always In My Head, have you heard this karaoke version on youtube? I think its absolutely stunning and it brings out the underlying melody so much with its rich piano and strings. Give it a listen, tell me what you think :)

As for the "artists", I think both Bieber and Cyrus are as shallow and commercial as modern music "artists" can get.

You know sometimes its very hard to see if an artist is truly talented and has something to offer artistic wise or if its just a cheap commercial act, simply because so many artists get "swept" by the commercial machine (thank you multinationals) as soon as they are signed! Jewel comes to mind as an example. She is clearly talented but she was changed beyond recognition to something very shallow :/ I fear a lot of the young artists get their talent buried or hidden by all the shallow bling bling :/ Especially because they are young, inexperienced and also its next to near impossible to have creative control when you are a new artist signed to a big label :/ I kinda feel for them.

You can never have too much Coldplay on one album, no? :p If it's a good album, it can be 2 hours long for all I care!

The songs on X&Y were good, but I would have liked 2-3 to make it as b-sides. I agree it doesn't matter if you just listen to "Coldplay the playlist" hehe But if you sit and listen to an album from start to finish, to me it does matter how many songs there are on it in terms of how they flow together. And X&Y I still cant listen to it all in one go anymore...unlike all the other albums.