✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Hi all, kind of new here but I've been reading various reviews of the new album. My very short review is that the best (and probably only good) thing of AHFOD is that it makes you realize how good they were once.

I loved all the first four albums, X&Y included which I know divides many, but since MX it's been a progressive decline imo. I found myself thinking "Meh, maybe it's just a phase" album after album, but now I'm less and less convinced by that. Before X&Y and VLV I was 100% sure I was going to have another brilliant piece of work from them, now I'm almost terrorised.

Tbf they are still capable of making some decent songs: I liked Midnight from GS, now that was experimenting but with style, 2 or 3 from MX, and maybe the first two songs from the last one but overall the standard has dropped massively.

So to conclude, I think I can call myself an "Oldplayer" like I learned here, now.

• Like 2

Hi all, kind of new here but I've been reading various reviews of the new album. My very short review is that the best (and probably only good) thing of AHFOD is that it makes you realize how good they were once.

I loved all the first four albums, X&Y included which I know divides many, but since MX it's been a progressive decline imo. I found myself thinking "Meh, maybe it's just a phase" album after album, but now I'm less and less convinced by that. Before X&Y and VLV I was 100% sure I was going to have another brilliant piece of work from them, now I'm almost terrorised.

Tbf they are still capable of making some decent songs: I liked Midnight from GS, now that was experimenting but with style, 2 or 3 from MX, and maybe the first two songs from the last one but overall the standard has dropped massively.

So to conclude, I think I can call myself an "Oldplayer" like I learned here, now.

Welcome on board!

• Like 2

Guest kmm1482

Being that's there's 3 songs I like on AHFOD and 2 songs I like Ghost Stories, I like AHFOD better. If have to go back and listen to MX again to compare. But I still love X&Y, especially over this

Would still be better than "Stargate"

What have Stargate done to get them to produce Coldplay? They sound like complete amateurs the way they've produced and mixed this record. In the Ryan Seacress interview, Chris said they had to audition songs for them?!?! Wow!

Guest kmm1482
What have Stargate done to get them to produce Coldplay? They sound like complete amateurs the way they've produced and mixed this record. In the Ryan Seacress interview, Chris said they had to audition songs for them?!?! Wow!

Seriously! I've NEVER heard of this guy. Some pop producer. Did they think Eno wasn't as good??

I hope they'll reinvent themselves again like they did with Eno during VLV era, but only after a very long hiatus! That's the thing they need after the tour.

I still don't understand the meaning of "the completion of something": what will come after AHFOD?

Well-written post ! Welcome to the forum and the Oldplaying thread ! :)

• Like 1

I hope they take a loooong hiatus after the world tour. It's the only chance for us to get some of the old craft back (Don't necessarily mean the same style, but I mean pieces that are as artistically valuable). Their life situations need to move on and Chris needs to explore different kinds of music in what he listens to. Let's hope that one day he will have outgrown his 1D-Bieber-phase.

But for some reason, I don't believe they would go on a hiatus for more than a year or something...

• Like 2

Let's hope that one day he will have outgrown his 1D-Bieber-phase.

Ha!

True though, most bands usually evolve from an initial phase to a more mature one, Coldplay seem to be doing the exact opposite. It's almost as if Chris is having a midlife crisis so he wants to act "young" and go "yeeeeeeah, wooohooo, ba-boom ba-boom boom!"

We can only wait.

• Like 2

^ That's been my thinking also! We've gone from this very mature style to a very juvenile one (especially in terms of lyrics. Like, how do you go from writing a song like Don't Panic when you're 19-20 to writing a song like X Marks the Spot when you're in your late 30s??). We're moving backwards!

There's something I've been wondering also . . . Coldplay has always been about reinvention. If this is truly the last chapter of their current book, so to speak, what comes next? What new music genre could they draw inspiration from? Will they just settle into a comfortable sound like U2 has done and stop with the wild reinventions altogether? Will they do a throwback album or two in the style of Parachutes or ARoBttH? Will they just continue to get crazier wind up with something that sounds like an Apparatjik album?

I think Stargate are 2 people but yeah I don't know why they're producing it.

They've worked with Rihanna and Beyonce in the past. The moment I found out they were involved in AHFOD, expectations dropped to the bottom.

I hope they take a loooong hiatus after the world tour. It's the only chance for us to get some of the old craft back (Don't necessarily mean the same style, but I mean pieces that are as artistically valuable). Their life situations need to move on and Chris needs to explore different kinds of music in what he listens to. Let's hope that one day he will have outgrown his 1D-Bieber-phase.

But for some reason, I don't believe they would go on a hiatus for more than a year or something...

I was just having a conversation with my cousin about this, I was also thinking he is going through an identity crisis of some sort. That's what the album sounds like. I don't hear Coldplay in it, and it makes me sad to say it. And I actually like AOAL but this album just makes me want to hear their old stuff and be sad that those days are behind. I don't understand why they are getting so influenced by the pop music of today, it's ok Chris likes it, but why is there a need to put that kind of sound in Coldplay? :(

• Like 2

I feel like I am having a Coldplay fan identity crisis. I love the boys so much as people and musicians and it's hurting me to admit what I actually feel about their current direction. I hate imagining hurting their feelings. how do I deal with this? Is listening to their old stuff the only thing left to do?

• Like 2

I was just having a conversation with my cousin about this, I was also thinking he is going through an identity crisis of some sort. That's what the album sounds like. I don't hear Coldplay in it, and it makes me sad to say it. And I actually like AOAL but this album just makes me want to hear their old stuff and be sad that those days are behind. I don't understand why they are getting so influenced by the pop music of today, it's ok Chris likes it, but why is there a need to put that kind of sound in Coldplay? :(

An identity crisis may well be the explanation. We all know Chris used to be a very sensitive, constantly-worrying person. After his marriage breakup and along with getting older, I think he tries to shun out all negativity from his life and tries to consciously be happy. His getting older may also incite in him the wish to still feel young. Take these together with the crowd he started hanging out with a couple of years ago when he entered the Hollywood sphere and you get the music that Coldplay is currently making.

• Like 1

I feel like I am having a Coldplay fan identity crisis. I love the boys so much as people and musicians and it's hurting me to admit what I actually feel about their current direction. I hate imagining hurting their feelings. how do I deal with this? Is listening to their old stuff the only thing left to do?

If i had the chance to meet them and tell them my opinion, I would be honest about it. It is not a requirement to like everything the bands put out, and they dont seem to care so much what people think of them. Besides, I guess even they realize the value of fans who have been with them all the time. I hope they know that without the fans of their early work, they would not be where they are now.

• Like 1

How do correlate being a fan of their old music and being a fan of the band and the direction they have now? If this was any other band and this was their first or second album, I'd dismiss it and say I wasn't a fan and say it was rubbish, yet they've produced earlier in their career some of the best music in the past 20 years. I even feel like I have no interest in going to see them live as I can imagine what it will be like, bright colors, happy, happy, happy and crazy recorded synth sounds everywhere urghhh. I long for 10years ago when I saw them live 4 times and they were a brilliant pure band without all the gimmicks.

• Like 1

I have no interest in going to see them live as I can imagine what it will be like, bright colors, happy, happy, happy and crazy recorded synth sounds everywhere urghhh

I have the same feeling. I have never seen them live though. If only I coudl turn time back and go to the AROBTTH or Twisted Logic Tour... :(