✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

It was about the music. No dancing monkeys or big balls and confetti cannons and light-up bracelets, but a big green laser and heartfelt singing [emoji5]️

I think the big balls are kind of cool, butterflies were nice for Lovers because of the lights and what not, the rest is all flash. Xylobands might have been cool but it isn't hiding the music.

I'm really caught up on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlsVUPgwd_0

I'm having a very hard time believing Chris now is the same one we had. I was watching this video and there's something about the way he conducts himself that says "Yeah, we're the biggest band in the world and we know it". His performances on stage (mainly X&Y and VLV, previously to this he wasn't AS bombastic on stage with how he acts, a bit more reserved I guess) were like he thought he was iconic and in the realm of Mercury and Bowie. While I don't think he was THAT iconic, the way he conducted himself was and made Coldplay feel like they were simply apart from everyone else. Chris walked around (sometimes) like he was a artistic god, which worked very well in X&Y when the music was bigger than ever, Talk being a good example, also the reason I used it. That act only works if people believe it and in my opinion he's sold it the best in the modern era (early 00s and on)

When he sung it felt like he really believed in all the lyrics and their weight. Even the small things he does like at 3:50, that's not a dance move in any sense, but it doesn't look awkward, and it looks like he's sending the energy to the crowd. It's a larger than life kind of thing that he did a lot. Everyone knows he can't dance, and it should stay that way, but one thing he did very well was communicate the energy of the song through his movements.

I'll give you a good example. Chris likes to jump, in fact he likes to jump a lot. Jumping is all something people are familiar with, we've seen people jump, we know what jumping feels like. During In My Place in recent years (but not all the time so don't tear me apart for cherry picking I'm just trying to give an example), Chris does this during the chorus,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=SINCw_nocJE;m=1

Compare it to what Chris did a few years before that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=7ugrGg7MfeQ;m=1;s=5

(Bonus, play each video asynchronously to hear wicked sick copyright-dodging transposition! Can you tell which is the right key?)

Now, what communicates more energy? The energy of jumping and landing? Or the energy of (theoretically) lifting the energy of the sound and everyone in the room to its highest point in the song? I know it's only one example and I'm sure you can find him doing the opposite in opposite years (he actually does the same thing at the third "yeah" of the first chorus) but do you see the point I'm trying to make? Most can agree today's Chris would jump, while Oldplay's Chris would do the latter. This is just an opinion but the latter simply FELT bigger. It's the climax of the song, the high point of its energy. Jumping simply doesn't cut it. Jumping along to the thumping of VLV, to contrast, is very different and I don't know how much anyone wants me to ramble about anything anymore.

• Like 5

I'm really caught up on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlsVUPgwd_0

I'm having a very hard time believing Chris now is the same one we had. I was watching this video and there's something about the way he conducts himself that says "Yeah, we're the biggest band in the world and we know it". His performances on stage (mainly X&Y and VLV, previously to this he wasn't AS bombastic on stage with how he acts, a bit more reserved I guess) were like he thought he was iconic and in the realm of Mercury and Bowie. While I don't think he was THAT iconic, the way he conducted himself was and made Coldplay feel like they were simply apart from everyone else. Chris walked around (sometimes) like he was a artistic god, which worked very well in X&Y when the music was bigger than ever, Talk being a good example, also the reason I used it. That act only works if people believe it and in my opinion he's sold it the best in the modern era (early 00s and on)

When he sung it felt like he really believed in all the lyrics and their weight. Even the small things he does like at 3:50, that's not a dance move in any sense, but it doesn't look awkward, and it looks like he's sending the energy to the crowd. It's a larger than life kind of thing that he did a lot. Everyone knows he can't dance, and it should stay that way, but one thing he did very well was communicate the energy of the song through his movements.

I'll give you a good example. Chris likes to jump, in fact he likes to jump a lot. Jumping is all something people are familiar with, we've seen people jump, we know what jumping feels like. During In My Place in recent years (but not all the time so don't tear me apart for cherry picking I'm just trying to give an example), Chris does this during the chorus,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=SINCw_nocJE;m=1

Compare it to what Chris did a few years before that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=7ugrGg7MfeQ;m=1;s=5

(Bonus, play each video asynchronously to hear wicked sick copyright-dodging transposition! Can you tell which is the right key?)

Now, what communicates more energy? The energy of jumping and lanhttp://coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-oldplaying-thread-s-bs-tbr-p-arobtth-x-y-vlv.104785/page-77ding? Or the energy of (theoretically) lifting the energy of the sound and everyone in the room to its highest point in the song? I know it's only one example and I'm sure you can find him doing the opposite in opposite years (he actually does the same thing at the third "yeah" of the first chorus) but do you see the point I'm trying to make? Most can agree today's Chris would jump, while Oldplay's Chris would do the latter. This is just an opinion but the latter simply FELT bigger. It's the climax of the song, the high point of its energy. Jumping simply doesn't cut it. Jumping along to the thumping of VLV, to contrast, is very different and I don't know how much anyone wants me to ramble about anything anymore.

HOly shit I love this post and I totally get you. And I also understand your point.

I feel the In my Place performance from the VIVA era really feels bigger because Chris is involving everyone into the chorus while still keeping his focus on everyone by standing and not letting "loose" so to say by jumping and going crazy in his own little world. And as you said, everyone can jump and when you jump you generally don't care what's happening around you lol.

But when he makes these gestures, wide arms, pointy fingers or when he's embracing the crowd, it feels bigger because it's more personal, more "including all of us". I think it's even more intimate, even though he just friggn stands there waving his arms around :wacky:

And the X&Y video is a perfect example, it almost feels like a grand theatrical performance where Chris tries to convey the music via body language. Very interesting to analyse!

• Like 3

When you listen to Paul's My Valentine, sth. is till there; When you listen to Eagles' live, it still lives the time/space of California Hotel; even Bob Dylan, when the voice (although some never like his voice :p) changes to be an authentic old man, the Gemini spirit is still there...and we all hope, coldplay would be like that...it takes time I guess, still in the process but in possible right directions. Melody always comes with emotion, especially the deep one connecting to the soul; when it is drained (exprienced it personally or not), it takes everything to go through, underground or not...

I love the words for Glenn Frey by Don Henley:

"I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet," he continued. "It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life."

Elsewhere in the statement, Henley marveled at how he, Frey and the other Eagles kept going over the years. "He was like a brother to me; we were family, and like most families, there was some dysfunction," the drummer and vocalist wrote. "But the bond we forged 45 years ago was never broken, even during the 14 years that the Eagles were dissolved. We were two young men who made the pilgrimage to Los Angeles with the same dream: to make our mark in the music industry – and with perseverance, a deep love of music, our alliance with other great musicians and our manager, Irving Azoff, we built something that has lasted longer than anyone could have dreamed."

Henley also noted that Frey "loved his wife and kids more than anything" and signed off by addressing the guitarist and singer. "Rest in peace, my brother," Henley wrote. "You did what you set out to do, and then some."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/don-henley-on-glenn-frey-he-changed-my-life-forever-20160118

I think , in this sense, Co. is still fortunate :) Just watched Shiver video for the first time (sorry :8), there is really sth. strong and precious there~ rock on~

• Like 1

I didn't want to post my opinion about the new video on its designated thread since a lot of people seem to like it and I'm in no place to depress or aggravate them with anything I say. So I was wondering what you all think about this inappropriate and atrocious piece of utter garbage.

• Like 1

I didn't want to post my opinion about the new video on its designated thread since a lot of people seem to like it and I'm in no place to depress or aggravate them with anything I say. So I was wondering what you all think about this inappropriate and atrocious piece of utter garbage.

Best video of the era. Birds would have the title if it could sit still for a few seconds.

Last three eras have had such lame videos, not that I'm even a huge fan of music videos in the first place. Midnight was alright I guess. The rest have felt very over produced (surprise) and lack any meaningful artistic direction or relation to the song.

On a current event note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=phdwmd9xrFI;t=39

Crazy how actual instruments (like REAL DRUMS) and a sense of soundstage can make a song sound better even when it's a tiny clip.

• Like 1

The HFTW video is just terrible. Horrible song, horrible video.

• Like 1

Guest kmm1482

I think I kinda liked it. It was beautifully shot. I like it more when I mute it [emoji5]️ the stuff with Beyoncé didn't fit in well, but I liked the stuff in India. Imo, best video in a while. Any specific reason why you weren't feeling it? Maybe some angle we don't see, that you do?

I think I kinda liked it. It was beautifully shot. I like it more when I mute it [emoji5]️ the stuff with Beyoncé didn't fit in well, but I liked the stuff in India. Imo, best video in a while. Any specific reason why you weren't feeling it? Maybe some angle we don't see, that you do?

Of course I have my reasons but I don't want to bore us to death. I could get into all the technicality of why it's so trite and unimaginative but it's just not worth it.

Guest kmm1482
Of course I have my reasons but I don't want to bore us to death. I could get into all the technicality of why it's so trite and unimaginative but it's just not worth it.

Gotcha. Fair enough :)

Yes, very beautiful video when you mute it. Miss B could just wear some more clothes in some parts.

The problem I have is that you see this beautiful culture, Indian colors and people, atmosphere.. I dont want to hear 'drunk and high so high' over that or any typical top 40 song. It doesnt have anything to do with what you're seeing. It's just killing the whole culture vibe, completely missing what the video should be about. You need beautiful intense and good music for a video like this and also that's clearly influenced by India.

So how is AHFOD sounding to you now after roughly 2 months?

I've actually been contrasting it with older albums. I'll pick out an album or EP and try to squeeze in a AHFOD song. Last time I did AOAL between Lost and Lovers just to compare production decisions and overall recording quality. All I can say is that Lost was very well done. Aside from some audiable pops towards the beginning that seem to be something to do with percussion, (I'll have to re listen on my setup at home, this was off my phone at the time.) Lost is a great example of blending digital with analog. I might make a larger post about this if I'm up to it tomorrow.

So yeah, production is still not in my good graces. It's still a Coldplay album but man is it ever stretching that. It's also still the worst album, I think. It's not that far away from the next but it's distinguishable.

I guess that's based on what I believe makes a Coldplay album.

What makes a Coldplay album Coldplay for everyone? Very interested in people's opinions on this.

• Like 1

Guest kmm1482
So how is AHFOD sounding to you now after roughly 2 months? Still sounds awful to me. Little or no redeeming features and in general a really poor album.

I've honestly had no desire to replay it. Even the songs I like. Compare to the first 3-4 albums on rotation nearly every day for years to nearly no Coldplay at all in the past year or so. I'm not engaged, I don't get the same feeling and I don't like singing along to these songs

So how is AHFOD sounding to you now after roughly 2 months? Still sounds awful to me. Little or no redeeming features and in general a really poor album.

Has little to not replay value to me, is just so underwhelming. Only songs I still hear oftenly are AHFOD, Birds and AOAL (this one being almost a guilty pleasure at this point).

• Like 3

I thought the video was "pretty," for lack of a better word, but it doesn't really fit the song.

I'm ready for some more simple/serious videos like the ones for Violet Hill, In My Place, The Scientist, Fix You, etc.

Yes and Yes entirely! :nod:

• Like 1

I gave it a listen again after a few weeks and honestly it's even worse! I rated it 4.25 originally but now it's a 3 out of 10 for me. I listen to a of experimental and progressive music and the sheer laziness and mediocrity of the album are highlighted even more when I compare it to whatever else I'm listening to at the time. It's just horrendous.

• Like 2

I gave it a listen again after a few weeks and honestly it's even worse! I rated it 4.25 originally but now it's a 3 out of 10 for me. I listen to a of experimental and progressive music and the sheer laziness and mediocrity of the album are highlighted even more when I compare it to whatever else I'm listening to at the time. It's just horrendous.

Yeah, I agree. It's a shockingly bad album really. Lazy, poor songwriting and terrible production. Coldplay really need to have a look at what's going on with themselves.

• Like 2