✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

This is my opinion about the SB performance... It's been translated from italian because I wrote it that way, hope it's clear...

Well, there's nothing to do: they are like this, take it or leave it.

They've always had this ability to incorporate all their influences into their music, putting a personal touch in it. Chris&co went artistically downhill with time, but apart from that they always manage to find great collaborators for their shows and, most of all, they are so humble they manage to adapt to every situation without having a bad performance. Maybe they're not the best band for the most pretentious tastes and they never manage to please everyone at 100%, but they always leave the impression they can deal with it. This was the most pompous occasion in their recent years and they made a balanced performance, picking at least a song from each album they released and giving importance to their whole discography in less than 10 minutes, leaving the rest of the time they were yielded to Bruno Mars & Beyoncé that are the kind of performers which this kind of crowd are more used to.

My biggest regret is that they hadn't such an occasion during the VLV era, when they were a flawless band, and they had it in the downhill phase of their career. Said that, since this was the 50th SB and the organizers wanted and needed to blend past, present and future together, Coldplay was the best possible choice to make.

However they're still the best cover band in the world

What do other Oldplayers think about Coldplay's performance at the SuperBowl ?

Outdone by Beyonce and Bruno Mars. Just not at all what Coldplay are at heart, they're not this Superbowl, showbiz, glitzy band that they're trying to be. Just get back to basics and what you're good at Chris, all this Hollywood stuff just isn't you or your band.

• Like 1

Never really paid attention to the superbowl, but okay what on earth was that all about.. one artist slaughtering the other, and then afterwards being called left shark / loser? Are we really talking here about a performance or did I miss some battle? What kind of circus is this?

I liked their setlist, didnt expect it to be quite oldplay-ish. I expected the show to be all about their latest big poppy hits. How can it be, they didnt even play their new single they recorded with miss B. They get to perform with her but decide to not play it? I can only imagine CM being completely over the moon to be playing that song with her. The decision on that, sure was not Coldplays.

Coldplays performance was clearly about love, harmony, togetherness etc. B&B’s thing (especially Beyonce.. that song OMG) took that vibe away, and made it all about their wild show. The UP&Up final didn’t make the impact they wanted, too short after the B&B show.

Like others in this forum, I also realised it’s not really their place and they are different from these huge pop stars that are performing. Of course blending a bands performance and huge dance show is not really a very good idea anyway. But these American pop stars carry this attitude and it’s so far from what nice Chris martin is about and his performance is. Chris is just himself on stage, a very happy guy connecting with people in the crowd, he’s not an act. It was a weird kind of contrast, those 2 worlds together.

Coldplay will always be seen as this ‘nice’ soft rock/pop band. And they indeed have become too big for their own good. I can’t imagine they are not really affected by any of the crap about them. I mean, yeah they made it to the superbowl halftime show, but was it really worth it. Is this really what they wanted their show to look like I wonder.

• Like 2

I can't believe Chris said he wrote a song for Beyonce called "Hook Up" which Beyonce said was rubbish and didn't want to use?! Come on. Chris, get real what are you doing? , you're losing the plot in LA. You ard your band are so far away from all that nonsense. All the "left shark" laughing at Coldplay also :-( I despair for what Coldplay have become and the talent they're leaving behind.

• Like 2

I was listening to Atlas a minute ago

great song (radiohead inspired)

and I think that might be one of the best coldplay songs since Viva La Vida

and now I wish that when the band decided to change sound

that would be thier direction

what do oldplayers think of Atlas ??

• Like 2

I like it, it sounds quite good

One of the 'newplay' songs I love. As soon as that gorgeous piano starts, I just need to listen to it. The unique atmosphere, production, guitar solo <3 Even though the chorus is a bit repetive, the song is creative, it takes you away and feels unique, to me at least.

• Like 2

One thing I really don't see is how the current era is any different from the MX era.

Bar some superficial and aesthetic differences such as swapping out the colours and being influenced by eastern religion rather than graffiti.

Sub in Beyonce for Rihanna, change your sugary synths, swap out the patches on your t shirt and away you go!

Really casts some doubt on the "different album each time" mantra. As a jaded fan of the early work it immensely amuses and distresses me that they were much more profound and mature at my age than they are approaching 40. I fear one day I will morph into a big child with purple shoes and be transfixed on all the pretty lights/colours. I feel embarrassed for them and feel embarrassed to call myself a Coldplay fan.

After Viva they should have taken a long break and come back with something bolder and stronger. I think at this stage they're artistically burnt out.

• Like 5

One thing I really don't see is how the current era is any different from the MX era.

Bar some superficial and aesthetic differences such as swapping out the colours and being influenced by eastern religion rather than graffiti.

Sub in Beyonce for Rihanna, change your sugary synths, swap out the patches on your t shirt and away you go!

Really casts some doubt on the "different album each time" mantra. As a jaded fan of the early work it immensely amuses and distresses me that they were much more profound and mature at my age than they are approaching 40. I fear one day I will morph into a big child with purple shoes and be transfixed on all the pretty lights/colours. I feel embarrassed for them and feel embarrassed to call myself a Coldplay fan.

After Viva they should have taken a long break and come back with something bolder and stronger. I think at this stage they're artistically burnt out.

Chris' mid life crisis. Trying to be young again and "hip" , musically devolving.

• Like 2

I feel embarrassed for them and feel embarrassed to call myself a Coldplay fan.

I sometimes experience that too, especially with most of the non-Coldplay fans not really knowing what they used to be like. When I say I'm a Coldplay fan everybody thinks I love this kind of sugarpop. As we discussed in the other thread, you then have to awkwardly add "but only their early work".

Agree on AHFOD and MX being similar in terms of visuals, but now that we got AHFOD I think MX was the better of the two and probably the best Newplay album. While obviously a huge decline compared to their earlier work, it still had some pop songs like Paradise that at least sounded different than the rest of the mainstream pop that is on the radio 24 hrs a day. Now AHFOD on the other hand has substituted the rockiness of MX with cheap club dance beats, beat drops, chopped up anoying looping and meaningless background vocals and all the other tricks that every mainstream dancey song uses. When I initially heard AOAL, I could not even distinguish it from the oher crap that surrounded it on the radio were it not for Chris's voice, which has also gone down the drain but is probably the point for which Coldplay are the least to blame in all this. On AHFOD, even Jonny's riffs are bland and diluted beyond recognition - in all fairness, they were much better on MX.

To sum it up, I think they are getting worse and worse with each album. Yes, how can you become so immature the older you get ?

• Like 3

I sometimes experience that too, especially with most of the non-Coldplay fans not really knowing what they used to be like. When I say I'm a Coldplay fan everybody thinks I love this kind of sugarpop. As we discussed in the other thread, you then have to awkwardly add "but only their early work".

Agree on AHFOD and MX being similar in terms of visuals, but now that we got AHFOD I think MX was the better of the two and probably the best Newplay album. While obviously a huge decline compared to their earlier work, it still had some pop songs like Paradise that at least sounded different than the rest of the mainstream pop that is on the radio 24 hrs a day. Now AHFOD on the other hand has substituted the rockiness of MX with cheap club dance beats, beat drops, chopped up anoying looping and meaningless background vocals and all the other tricks that every mainstream dancey song uses. When I initially heard AOAL, I could not even distinguish it from the oher crap that surrounded it on the radio were it not for Chris's voice, which has also gone down the drain but is probably the point for which Coldplay are the least to blame in all this. On AHFOD, even Jonny's riffs are bland and diluted beyond recognition - in all fairness, they were much better on MX.

To sum it up, I think they are getting worse and worse with each album. Yes, how can you become so immature the older you get ?

The strangest thing is, 12 years ago if you said you liked Coldplay, you were classed as a depressive and boring, into music like Radiohead. Now you're classed as into light hearted Maroon 5 type of Sugarpop. It's such a strange turn around and downturn musically.

Another thing that really bothered me about SB50 was the fact that the other members of the band may as well not have been there. Chris wasn't really well received and looked put of place in general but he was the main figure with Bey and Bruno Mars. I almost see AHFOD as his solo record because the instruments are so diluted under the production and the direction the band have taken is quite clearly all down to him, the other members almost don't seem to matter anymore. Contrast that with Jonnys early heavy Edge influenced riffs and thundering drums of for example Politik. It's such a Chris Martin band now with little or no influence from the others.

• Like 1

you were classed as a depressive and boring

Whichis utter crap and I still don't get it. Coldplay was melodically a very interesting and meaningful band. Honestly, this "boring" accusation is probably by those people who can't listen to music where the singer is not singing about his recent promiscuous party adventures or drug excesses or has ten background dancers wiggling their butts into the camera. That Coldplay are called boring is so symptomatic of the currently trending "values" of the society we live in, and it's not a good sign...

• Like 1

I am just listening to the entire Ghost Stories album, something I do extremely rarely (but sometimes I just listen to things I usually don't listen to for a change. Recently it was MX). You know what's annoying ? Apart from the fact that nearly all of it sounds like it came straight from the computer, I just noticed Chris is Uuuuuhing for what feels like 70% of the time, either in the background or even as lead vocals. I think Uuuuhs are good if they have a strong melody and atmosphere (like the the Viva chant) but in GS they are just so random and interchangeable and forgettable. Uh-Uh-Uh-Uh-Dudududu-Uh-uh-uh-uh.

Ugh.

• Like 1

I am just listening to the entire Ghost Stories album, something I do extremely rarely (but sometimes I just listen to things I usually don't listen to for a change. Recently it was MX). You know what's annoying ? Apart from the fact that nearly all of it sounds like it came straight from the computer, I just noticed Chris is Uuuuuhing for what feels like 70% of the time, either in the background or even as lead vocals. I think Uuuuhs are good if they have a strong melody and atmosphere (like the the Viva chant) but in GS they are just so random and interchangeable and forgettable. Uh-Uh-Uh-Uh-Dudududu-Uh-uh-uh-uh.

Ugh.

This is because he lost his songwriting abilities along the way, but I still think that it's their post-VLV best work. It has emotional intensity and a few good songs, especially Midnight that's their best "newplay" song imho

• Like 1

I dunno if you guys can really say they showed off a bit of their old stuff when they did... hm... sang about two lines of Yellow, Clocks piano riff, and then the weird mishmash of Fix You and Up&Up (which sounded like something out of bizzaro world to me but anyway)

There's more to those songs than... those bits... I mean same goes for the new songs where they sang a verse and a paragraph. Bit depressing that everyone apparently has the attention span of a goldfish

I dunno if you guys can really say they showed off a bit of their old stuff when they did... hm... sang about two lines of Yellow, Clocks piano riff, and then the weird mishmash of Fix You and Up&Up (which sounded like something out of bizzaro world to me but anyway)

There's more to those songs than... those bits... I mean same goes for the new songs where they sang a verse and a paragraph. Bit depressing that everyone apparently has the attention span of a goldfish

Agree. The Clocks riff was even barely audible, and the most iconic parts of Fix You were mising....well, at least we got spared ASFOS, that's something....