✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Glad to hear you did that ! Well, how did it go ? :)

It went mixed. Some songs I really enjoyed others I wanted to skip/did not hold my attention much.

I found that I enjoyed the songs from parachutes I like more as part live 2003 cuz they alternate with others from A Rush. So that's how it went :) it kinda confirmed how I always felt about the album but I was glad I did the experiment :)

I also established for sure that for me I seem to enjoy listening to (most) songs from the first two albums only if I'm considerably somber or low mood. Not sure why but that's how it works for me apparently !

NOBODY should be forced to say that on this forum...but its only Oldplayers being accused of being intolerant. So dearest Newplayers, if you read this....

Well I must admit that any "criticism" or "negative comments" about early albums and/or positive comments about later albums I don't post where you guys hang hehe not because I feel unsafe but because I feel I want to respect your "flow" and your space here .

If I had heavy criticism of the first albums I wanted to get off my chest and discuss with like-minded (I don't but it's hypothetical) I'd create a thread about it. Any dissent I would voice once or twice (respectfully) on the main forums before going to the dedicated thread.

I don't know but that's how I feel about it and not because of feeling unsafe but for various other reasons : it's better and more satisfying for me to share and go all out with like-minded, I don't have a desire or wish to keep posting things in a place where the vast majority is celebrating the very same thing I don't like (and end up at best upset at most pissed) and I personally perceive this forum as a fan site where celebration is the norm, heavy criticism is somewhat rare.

It's kinda surprising i came to this conclusion as I had this idea that I would post anything anywhere but I came to this conclusion actually. Not because it's unsafe but because it would work better for me and I'd enjoy my time here more as well.

My two cents on my perspective on this :)

• Like 1

Well I must admit that any "criticism" or "negative comments" about early albums and/or positive comments about later albums I don't post where you guys hang hehe not because I feel unsafe but because I feel I want to respect your "flow" and your space here .

If I had heavy criticism of the first albums I wanted to get off my chest and discuss with like-minded (I don't but it's hypothetical) I'd create a thread about it. Any dissent I would voice once or twice (respectfully) on the main forums before going to the dedicated thread.

I don't know but that's how I feel about it and not because of feeling unsafe but for various other reasons : it's better and more satisfying for me to share and go all out with like-minded, I don't have a desire or wish to keep posting things in a place where the vast majority is celebrating the very same thing I don't like (and end up at best upset at most pissed) and I personally perceive this forum as a fan site where celebration is the norm, heavy criticism is somewhat rare.

It's kinda surprising i came to this conclusion as I had this idea that I would post anything anywhere but I came to this conclusion actually. Not because it's unsafe but because it would work better for me and I'd enjoy my time here more as well.

My two cents on my perspective on this :)

That's very thoughtful of you :), but of course ideally if a healthy discussion was possible it should be on the respective thread. There should not be a reason for him not posting his negatve thoughts on the HFTW video in the HFTW Video Thread.

By the way, you are welcome to share critical/negative thoughts on the first three albums here !! This thread is actually for discusing them...I can't see no sign where it says "praise only" and that's how it should be !

That's very thoughtful of you :), but of course ideally if a healthy discussion was possible it should be on the respective thread. There should not be a reason for him not posting his negatve thoughts on the HFTW video in the HFTW Video Thread.

By the way, you are welcome to share critical/negative thoughts on the first three albums here !! This thread is actually for discusing them...I can't see no sign where it says "praise only" and that's how it should be !

You replied just as I was about to edit to add something haha I was mulling over this a bit more and wanted to clarify my mention of heavy criticism and what I mean by that.

I mean criticism where there is no way in hell or heaven that I would ever change my mind about whether I like a song. I already establish its rubbish (and I'm possibly even very aggravated about it). In this case posting on a general forum where other people love it would be useless to me. I would post once or twice letting my opinion be heard but beyond that posting again and again how I loathe would aggravate me (because I'd find very little like-minded response) and aggravate the people in the thread cuz they just think "what's with this guy and all his bashing?"

So I specifically meant that kind of criticism where there is really no point in discussing cuz u don't want a discussion you just need to vent at how crap something is. In those cases I'd absolutely stick to a dedicated thread I'd feel it's respectful that way.

Instead if I don't like a song but I'm open to hear what others think it's good about it and I personally don't feel so strong about my hate of it that I resort to calling other people on their appalling musical taste, in this case it could very well be discussed in a civil manner on the general forum anywhere.

But if you have no way to ever change your mind about something discussing it becomes a moot exercise where you just reiterate the same things back and forth and at a point people get tired of it. (I'd assume from both sides)

And about the songs of parachutes I don't like, it's not really a criticism. I just find them too slow and the melodies don't hold my attention. I must admit trying to be a dutiful Coldplay fan I tried to force myself to like them more than once haha but it's not happening.

Some slow songs are absolutely lovely but others just don't sound good to me. And the whole parachutes album has a collection of songs which don't sound good to me as a whole so probably that's why I kept listening to only some cuz it's those I ultimately like. (Probably how some of you feel about AHFOD! ) hehe

I wish I could get more technical but I really think it's a matter of musical taste more than anything. I'm not even sure that it's because they are slow. I mean ghost stories is mostly slow and I love it. So yeah hard to pinpoint what it is :)

• Like 2

Guest kmm1482
And about the songs of parachutes I don't like, it's not really a criticism. I just find them too slow and the melodies don't hold my attention. I must admit trying to be a dutiful Coldplay fan I tried to force myself to like them more than once haha but it's not happening.

Some slow songs are absolutely lovely but others just don't sound good to me. And the whole parachutes album has a collection of songs which don't sound good to me as a whole so probably that's why I kept listening to only some cuz it's those I ultimately like. (Probably how some of you feel about AHFOD! ) hehe

I wish I could get more technical but I really think it's a matter of musical taste more than anything. I'm not even sure that it's because they are slow. I mean ghost stories is mostly slow and I love it. So yeah hard to pinpoint what it is :)

You went above what most people do; you tried something you weren't sure you'd like. Some things you loved and some things you found 'meh'. You didn't have a knee-jerk reaction and say "It's crap! You suck!" But you legitimately gave it a try and I applaud you

You went above what most people do; you tried something you weren't sure you'd like. Some things you loved and some things you found 'meh'. You didn't have a knee-jerk reaction and say "It's crap! You suck!" But you legitimately gave it a try and I applaud you

Well I thank you for appreciating my post and my listening to Parachutes! :) To be fair though, I think some Oldplayers might have a different perspective as their once beloved band is NOT going in a direction they like, so I think this contributes to them being more bitter about the new work than I ever could be about Parachutes...At least Im guessing thats why they feel that way?

If Coldplay now churned out several albums with more of the "meh" songs I don't like on Parachutes, would I sit being nostalgic about the "good old MX/ AHFOD days"? In all honesty I probably would. *lol* But what I think sets Coldplay apart and perhaps get lost sometimes in our discussions is that they truly are quite varied in their output even now. You still get ballads and more energetic songs and more pop-ish and some more alternative...so they keep kinda blending it all up, so I think its overall a good thing! :)

You know after listening to Parachutes and really trying to like it, cuz you guys have listed here a countless valid ways in which it´s a great album!, I kinda concluded that liking a song or an album is really like falling in love. Some of your friends might present you to the most gorgeous woman all your friends love and say "she´s amazing and such a great personality, you should totally date her!" and you can appreciate it, but your heart just doesn't respond to it....then you meet this woman that some of your friends might go "what? her? Why? Nothing special, she is so meh" and your heart just goes "boom boom boom" (to quote Chris haha) and you don't know why...but there it is :)

• Like 1

Listening to See You Soon on repeat. One of my fave b-sides.

I noticed actually the contrast between the lyrics "with a bulletproof vest and the windows all closed I'll be doing my best" and "leave your broken windows open and in the light just streams" from AHFOD.

I was like...wow. This totally epitomizes the change Chris has been through and it totally reflects in his lyrics: from being afraid of life and trying to protect himself to embracing it and allow himself to experience it all, good and bad, because it ultimately is all for the best.

• Like 3

Guest kmm1482

I'm not really sure if he was afraid of life. There are many lyrics that represent his love of life and his optimism. To me, it seems like he's taken the "whiney", "sleepy" criticism to heart and has cut out any lyric that deals with uncertainty and has a much much bigger emphasis on happy happy happy!! [emoji2][emoji2]

Listening to See You Soon on repeat. One of my fave b-sides.

I noticed actually the contrast between the lyrics "with a bulletproof vest and the windows all closed I'll be doing my best" and "leave your broken windows open and in the light just streams" from AHFOD.

I was like...wow. This totally epitomizes the change Chris has been through and it totally reflects in his lyrics: from being afraid of life and trying to protect himself to embracing it and allow himself to experience it all, good and bad, because it ultimately is all for the best.

And with the change went his ability to write lyrics.

• Like 2

And with the change went his ability to write lyrics.

Lyrics from AHFOD are some of my all time favourites from Coldplay actually. So many memorable quotes and lines.

Ghost Stories the lyrics were ultra simple, but even Chris admitted that, saying it was more of a stream of consciousness , it was raw and immediate more than elaborate.

Thinking back I like both MX and Viva for their lyrics as well...so to me he´s been pretty constant throughout, though he has changed up the things he talks about and the way he talks about them.

• Like 2

I'm not really sure if he was afraid of life. There are many lyrics that represent his love of life and his optimism. To me, it seems like he's taken the "whiney", "sleepy" criticism to heart and has cut out any lyric that deals with uncertainty and has a much much bigger emphasis on happy happy happy!! [emoji2][emoji2]

He was afraid of life. Its actually his own quote from one of the Ghost Stories interview, but its pretty evident in the lyrics as well.

But I agree with you he was always optimistic and positive ! I would not say he cut out any lyrics which deals with uncertainty or pain. They re to be found aplenty in Ghost Stories and also some in AHFOD (the up-tempo music sometimes "masks" them). Also to be noted that AHFOD is the natural companion to Ghost Stories, so they are both respectively more polarised towards light and darkness. MX if you notice has an equal combo of "positive and negative" lyrics throughout.

I think he is still writing the same combo of "life can be hard but there is light at the end of the tunnel", he´s just more free to celebrate now the good part instead of worrying about it. The big thing that was holding him back was precisely the not being able to celebrate the good things (their success for example), worry about what others thoughts, etc.

• Like 1

I also won't be visiting the forums guys. At least until I see how the future unfolds with this band and particularly this forum we once called home. I wish every one of you the very very best in all your life endeavors.

• Like 3

I also won't be visiting the forums guys. At least until I see how the future unfolds with this band and particularly this forum we once called home. I wish every one of you the very very best in all your life endeavors.

Im sorry to read this! I think this forum has fewer strifes now than it used to have. I had hoped we could all find a place here where to share with like-minded in the best way as for us all to co-exist. I personally would find it a great loss for Oldplayers to go away....but I also wish you the best in your life!

• Like 1

It's a shockingly bad album really. Lazy, poor songwriting and terrible production. Coldplay really need to have a look at what's going on with themselves.

In my opinion: of their 7 albums it's their worst album but it's not a shockingly bad album at all !

• Like 1

See You Soon friends ! Can't believe you're gone... :(

About the See You Soon lyrics or the early lyrics in general - I think they often reflected a sensitive and vulnerable mind loaded with early Twenties-insecurity about life and the future, and all of this expressed quite poetically. I really miss this kind of lyrics.

About the See You Soon lyrics or the early lyrics in general - I think they often reflected a sensitive and vulnerable mind loaded with early Twenties-insecurity about life and the future, and all of this expressed quite poetically. I really miss this kind of lyrics.

Agreed about the teen/early twenties insecurities...probably one of the reasons I cant relate to a lot of those lyrics anymore. (Shiver comes to mind). The closest we come to these kind of lyrics recently (but more in an "adult" fashion) in terms of genre is Ghost Stories, but the style was sparse, direct and raw, not poetic. AHFOD is instead much more "poetic" but with a different approach.

I personally don't miss the old lyrics/songs, because I find myself listening to them and enjoying them only when Im quite down, but I can see why other people who perhaps react differently to them (and not only when they are sad like me hehe) might miss them!

• Like 1

Yeah, he could tell very vivid stories and convey emotions very well within a few minutes. Prospekt's March, Everything's Not Lost, AROBTTH, See You Soon, Warning Sign, Yes, and my personal favorite Amsterdam, all come to mind.

I think this has to be Chris Martin's best vocals

just listen to the Chorus :dazzled:

Getting a Death Cab / Snow Patrol vibe from this, neat.

I think this has to be Chris Martin's best vocals

just listen to the Chorus :dazzled:

This and Where Is My Boy are very good even though they are technically not Coldplay songs ! Especially the vocals in WIMB are so haunting, tense, desperate,....

Sad that his voice is no longer that good. Age.....and the strain of multiple 100+ concert world tours....

• Like 1

Did the best they could at the Super Bowl, performing in the daylight is rough when you're trying to sell something BIG. If you rewatch some older ones (McCartney and Prince) the night and lights can make it much more epic. Overall I liked the performance, Bruno Mars could be the next James Brown if he wants to. He's a very talented performer. The little dance off thing was interesting, Beyonce saved herself from falling over, clutchest play of the game.

The Clocks/Fix You thing they did when they recapped the old halftime shows was the best part. Very happy they touched on Purple Rain, and Chris's vocals held up enough.

• Like 1