✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Oops sorry, I meant LP8 :D

I'm really worried they might turn to rap, or hip hop, or just in general melody-lacking vocals over drum-loops (XMTS anyone ?)

I would like them to return to the sound and richness in melodies of the AROBTTH, X&Y or even Viva Eras. I would like the songwriting and lyrics to be like earlier, and the themes to be a bit deeper than 'my heart got broken and now you make me feel alive again, believe in love'. For example, themes like the passage of time and memories would be great. I would like them to leave out electronic drums, pop and dance beats and too much computer-produced music in favor of just sitting in a room together and recording something that feels warm and organic. Give me real, don't give me fake.

• Like 2

Oops sorry, I meant LP8 :D

I'm really worried they might turn to rap, or hip hop, or just in general melody-lacking vocals over drum-loops (XMTS anyone ?)

I would like them to return to the sound and richness in melodies of the AROBTTH, X&Y or even Viva Eras. I would like the songwriting and lyrics to be like earlier, and the themes to be a bit deeper than 'my heart got broken and now you make me feel alive again, believe in love'. For example, themes like the passage of time and memories would be great. I would like them to leave out electronic drums, pop and dance beats and too much computer-produced music in favor of just sitting in a room together and recording something that feels warm and organic. Give me real, don't give me fake.

This. There's always the possibility that it might turn worse, and if CM keeps keeping up with mainstream music like he recently has then it's definetely going downhill. There's not one single song I like so far from 2016 yet that got released and became popular on mainstream radio. "Work" sounds like Drake feat Rihanna, not the other way around, that's the only song of hers I actually find boring and uninteresting (yes she's mostly pop but IMO her older content I especially like, even though it's more dance beats as usual... I don't know, I just find it good for some reason, although I'd still MUCH MUCH rather listen to rock and Coldplay, don't worry eveyone :D) "Formation" as we all know is trash. I don't really pay attention to much of anything else really. There was even a few songs I liked in 2015.

But ultimately I share the same wish as you @I ran away. That be a wonderful theme for the next album, and leaving out electro dance beats is ideal. Making something warm and organic, yes please.

I either wish they do that, or they make some crazy ambient-style music, maybe ambient rock since that's a genre hardly anyone does but is one of the most interesting, diverse, and experimental? I honestly can't see them doing that but that'd be so awesome nonetheless.

I don't know. Whatever comes up for LP8 it better be new and good.

• Like 1

This. There's always the possibility that it might turn worse, and if CM keeps keeping up with mainstream music like he recently has then it's definetely going downhill. There's not one single song I like so far from 2016 yet that got released and became popular on mainstream radio. "Work" sounds like Drake feat Rihanna, not the other way around, that's the only song of hers I actually find boring and uninteresting (yes she's mostly pop but IMO her older content I especially like, even though it's more dance beats as usual... I don't know, I just find it good for some reason, although I'd still MUCH MUCH rather listen to rock and Coldplay, don't worry eveyone :D) "Formation" as we all know is trash. I don't really pay attention to much of anything else really. There was even a few songs I liked in 2015.

But ultimately I share the same wish as you @I ran away. That be a wonderful theme for the next album, and leaving out electro dance beats is ideal. Making something warm and organic, yes please.

I either wish they do that, or they make some crazy ambient-style music, maybe ambient rock since that's a genre hardly anyone does but is one of the most interesting, diverse, and experimental? I honestly can't see them doing that but that'd be so awesome nonetheless.

I don't know. Whatever comes up for LP8 it better be new and good.

Imagine their 8th album would be like X&Y + VLVODAAHF [emoji2] [emoji322]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Z220 met Tapatalk

• Like 1

I also hate the fact that Coldplay have massive influence on what other bands are doing at the moment and they're not doing it for creative reasons, they're doing it to try and emulate Coldplay's commercial success.

An emotional singer singing over synthetic backgrounds is very du jour at the moment, it's bad enough when Coldplay do it but these other bands just can't do it half as well.

this is the last song I heard from her on the radio

Needless to say it's been some time since I've listened to the radio. I do recall Disturbia and We Found Love (because of the cover they did at BBC when they did acoustic MX songs). I mean he could pick worse, at least she maintains a flavor from her Barbadian accent.

Imagine their 8th album would be like X&Y + VLVODAAHF [emoji2] [emoji322]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Z220 met Tapatalk

After listening to Prospekt's March, Don Quixote, Famous Old Painters, and Christmas Lights I THOUGHT that's what we were going to get.

• Like 2

this is the last song I heard from her on the radio

Needless to say it's been some time since I've listened to the radio. I do recall Disturbia and We Found Love (because of the cover they did at BBC when they did acoustic MX songs). I mean he could pick worse, at least she maintains a flavor from her Barbadian accent.

IMO "We Found Love" is one of her 3 "best" ones. AKA the ones that are at a level that is just above the others.

Hold on a second, this is in the Oldplaying thread LOL, probably shouldn't be praising Rihanna ATM...

• Like 1

"Disturbia" was one of two songs I played on repeat back in middle school just before discovering Coldplay. I'd completely forgotten that it existed until now . . . After giving it a new listen, I actually kind of like it still lol. I wish PoC could have taken more of a darker route like this lyric-wise rather than what it turned out to be :shrug:

This is something that just popped into my head, but--if you all had the power to completely erase the last three albums and replace it with one "good" album using only songs from MX, GS, and AHFoD, could you do it? Or are there too few songs that you really like enough to keep? For instance, I'd have an album (in no particular order) of

MX/HLH

Major Minus

AHT/DLIBYH

Up With the Birds

Moving to Mars

Midnight

Another's Arms

Oceans

Ghost Story

All Your Friends

Birds

Up&Up

Not too shabby I suppose, considering how little I listen to those albums

This is something that just popped into my head, but--if you all had the power to completely erase the last three albums and replace it with one "good" album using only songs from MX, GS, and AHFoD, could you do it? Or are there too few songs that you really like enough to keep?

I think you could make one good but kind of depressing album. VLV to me always felt more happy than sad, in the end you escape death's cycle. This album would be about the futility of "this world's" lives and the greater picture for humans. Or at least in this album's world.

O pt.2

AHFOD

(embellish the fade out because it's a little staggering to switch to the next track)

Moving To Mars

Magic

M.M.I.X.-ETIAW

Midnight

True Love

Up In Flames

Oceans

O

These aren't particularly songs I care for the most but I think they would make a good album together.

The short of it would be a narrative almost with the story and the overarching theme coming together after Up In Flames where we see the world inside the narrative fall apart. O is the attonement with the higher beings / meaningless of life / possible suicide? Oceans would be the track more or less preparing for the worst in O.

^

Always in My Head

Charlie Brown

Moving to Mars

Birds (fade-out outro)

Midnight

Amazing Day (new lyrics, new title?)

Ghost Story

Major Minus (re-recorded)

Hurts Like Heaven (acoustic)

Oceans (pure acoustic w/o the magic beeping)

Up with the Birds

O

Sent from my Death Star using Tapatalk

This is something that just popped into my head, but--if you all had the power to completely erase the last three albums and replace it with one "good" album using only songs from MX, GS, and AHFoD, could you do it? Or are there too few songs that you really like enough to keep? For instance, I'd have an album (in no particular order) of

MX/HLH

Major Minus

AHT/DLIBYH

Up With the Birds

Moving to Mars

Midnight

Another's Arms

Oceans

Ghost Story

All Your Friends

Birds

Up&Up

Not too shabby I suppose, considering how little I listen to those albums

Every song from Mylo, just modify Major Minus to make it even better.

Moving to Mars

Christmas Lights

Aiko (intro to the whole album I guiess for me)

Ink (less poppy)

Magic (modify to make a bit better)

Midnight

Oceans

ASFOS (yes I like it, Deal with it lol, only thing is I listened to the original version and it sounds super slow. Avicii edit is freaking awesome.)

Fly On/O

Ghost Story of course

O (Reprise)

A Head Full Of Dreams

Birds

Everglow

AOAL

Fun

Kaleidoscope

Amazing Day

Up&Up without the useless hand claps, bring the piano back, and real drums in chorus. (And make it sounds more lively in the chorus. everyone sounds insanely tired in the chorus of the studio version for some reason, I don't know why) and of course bring up the guitar aolos.

Yeah so I kind of like a lot of songs from the new albums as you can tell... :P

Really only here because despite me enjoying the new content the last two albums are a little to clean produced overall and because of that lost the "magic" of before that made Coldpaly songs so good. The lyrics and songwriting itself however has also seen a drop since then. IMO there are 4 EXTREMELY really good ones on AROBTTH, so far there's no songs written like that in the last two albums. (Im talking about Amsterdam, The Scientist, Politik, and Warning Sign btw. The emotional punch here is perfect and Coldplay has simply lost the ability to do those songs now. Of course every song on that album is good except maybe Daylight).

I watched the BRITS performance of HFTW and I have to say....no offence, but Coldplay looked ridiculous in that. I feel this song is just very awkward live, and flowers and confetti are not making it better. I watched a performance of Talk immediately before that and I was like, is this even the same band ?

I watched the BRITS performance of HFTW and I have to say....no offence, but Coldplay looked ridiculous in that. I feel this song is just very awkward live, and flowers and confetti are not making it better. I watched a performance of Talk immediately before that and I was like, is this even the same band ?

Look at the others performers of the show and you'll realize what's the low level they reached

Just watched it and yeah, not exactly impressive, but the whole song just isnt.. lol it's top 40 boringness to me. With many other (mostly older of course) songs, when they perform them live they just give this extra-ness, and it brings out the best in the song/music.

Also, his singing seems to be more off these days.. Usually because he's jumping/dancing like crazy, but with this performance he already started not so great while just sitting in front of his piano.. it's getting uncomfortable to listen at (sorry cm!).

I think their poppy songs are too pop-perfect, these type of songs especially the RnB influenced songs need to be sung radio-friendly-perfect.

Chris is a great singer, with a very unique voice, but it's an emotional type of voice. He's doesnt have the type of voice/vocals to sing these pop perfect melody's. And that's too bad, because this is what people are seeing from coldplay now, on tv on an award show. They will think he's a bad singer.

Their older more (soft) rock/pure/raw music has much more 'space' for emotional vocals and just anything extra to make the music come alive, which makes everything so much more interesting. And that's what make 'organic' bands so interesting to see live. That's why songs like hymn are zzzz to me.

Ok, I will now listen to Politik 2003 live which is just 1000% perfection. :heart:

• Like 6

Every song from Mylo, just modify Major Minus to make it even better.

Moving to Mars

Christmas Lights

Aiko (intro to the whole album I guiess for me)

Ink (less poppy)

Magic (modify to make a bit better)

Midnight

Oceans

ASFOS (yes I like it, Deal with it lol, only thing is I listened to the original version and it sounds super slow. Avicii edit is freaking awesome.)

Fly On/O

Ghost Story of course

O (Reprise)

A Head Full Of Dreams

Birds

Everglow

AOAL

Fun

Kaleidoscope

Amazing Day

Up&Up without the useless hand claps, bring the piano back, and real drums in chorus. (And make it sounds more lively in the chorus. everyone sounds insanely tired in the chorus of the studio version for some reason, I don't know why) and of course bring up the guitar aolos.

That's one long album :lol:

Aiko is so beautiful. I always pair it with the end of Moving to Mars and it's just heavenly

• Like 1

I don't know how others feel, but to me none of their "big" post-Viva hits transfer well to a live performance (and even Viva la Vida the song never quite sat well with me live, although the chant is awesome). Maybe it's that there's too much going on at once and they're trying to hard to get a big, stadium-filling sound whereas before it just sort of happened naturally? I think Chris's singing may be a part of it as well--those big, poppy songs tend to lend themselves to a certain type of singing, and with Chris getting older I'm not sure he can carry those songs as well (unfortunately :( ). I don't know if it's just my Oldplay bias coming to the surface or there's really something there, but the newer big hits (ASFoS, ETiaW, HFtW, Adventure, Paradise, Charlie Brown, PoC) don't ever seem as clean as the older ones.

Strangely enough, all the "non-hits" off the newer albums (HLH, Oceans, Midnight, Up&Up, AHFoD) sound perfectly fine to me :shrug:

Does anyone else feel this way, or am I just crazy? :P

• Like 2