✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Wow I just heard a new harmony in the studio version of Politik. I actually don't listen to AROBTTH very much because I feel like it's such a special album that I need to respect it by not overdoing it. Tonight I decided to blast it on my sound system and after the bridge you can begin to pick up a lower harmony under Chris's "Ooooh my love, yooou, aaarre." I noticed it more in the right channel but maybe it's in the left and my hearing isn't what I think it is.

bridge you can begin to pick up a lower harmony under Chris's "Ooooh my love, yooou, aaarre." I noticed it more in the right channel but maybe it's in the left and my hearing isn't what I think it is.

Yes!!!! I always thought that I was just imagining this as a product of the sub-conscious mind. It's very faint but I always sing it.

Yes!!!! I always thought that I was just imagining this as a product of the sub-conscious mind. It's very faint but I always sing it.

The piano in Green Eyes was like that to me for a while until I started getting some better audio equipment.

I keep discovering new sounds in a lot of songs all the time, especially when listening on different speakers than usual.

I think rich tones that real instruments offer add a lot to a track and can really help it feel like a performance.

I think rich tones that real instruments offer add a lot to a track and can really help it feel like a performance.

Yes. Coldplay's earlier works are so carefully layered, only after a lot of listens do you realize what masterpieces they really are. Unfortunately also in this respect do the new songs disappoint.

Yes. Coldplay's earlier works are so carefully layered, only after a lot of listens do you realize what masterpieces they really are. Unfortunately also in this respect do the new songs disappoint.

I'm currently listening to AROBTTH (The song and the album) and I can essentially picture the band playing the song with the dynamics and production present in the song. It's an art they got right almost instantly and then decided to throw away post-Viva. Many critics share the same opinion that they sound plastic and sterile now.

I'm currently listening to AROBTTH (The song and the album) and I can essentially picture the band playing the song with the dynamics and production present in the song. It's an art they got right almost instantly and then decided to throw away post-Viva. Many critics share the same opinion that they sound plastic and sterile now.

They used to feel so 'warm' and organic back then...

They used to feel so 'warm' and organic back then...

Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with Chris's vocals. I'm listening to X&Y now because I figured I might as well keep going and White Shadows can sound futuristic and cold but Chris's voice is so heavenly it all just works. I think his biggest vocal shift was from AROBTTH to X&Y, but he honestly just went from one good voice to another. X&Y's is more mature but has a sweeter tone to it, and it fits X&Y's illustrious composition compared to AROBTTH's more gritty tones.

We got Trouble tonight, I'm not gonna update my post but I'm sure it's gonna fit in with X&Y in being not applicable for ranking. On the bright side they're running out of safe picks. Only a matter of time until we get something juicy.

• Like 1

I agree I prefer the warmness of the first 3 albums though I do enjoy that Ghost Stories a little as well.

I'm 99% sure that Guy managed most of the production on Ghost Stories if I recall it correctly. That had to have a huge impact. Songs like Always in My Head, Fly On, Ghost Story, and both Os really bring home that feeling of an older album, the layering, mastering, it's all there.

• Like 2

I could not disagree more.. If anything newer Coldplay songs are probably TOO layered for those that prefer the more organic, warm feel(my wife among those lol. Just glad she liked AHFOD). Not trying to start anything here, just my opinion. Lyrically I do agree that earlier work was definitely closer to masterpiece level then the common radio level they find themselves at now, in terms of lyrics.

I could not disagree more.. If anything newer Coldplay songs are probably TOO layered for those that prefer the more organic, warm feel(my wife among those lol. Just glad she liked AHFOD). Not trying to start anything here, just my opinion. Lyrically I do agree that earlier work was definitely closer to masterpiece level then the common radio level they find themselves at now, in terms of lyrics.

I think we do not really disagree for I said they are carefully layered, often very subtle, but very masterfully so that it adds to the song's amosphere. Agree that their recent stuff is overproduced and often too layered.

Parachutes by far is the most stripped down album and you still have synth strings and other odd effects. It's the art of how they use them that makes it work. You don't want to overwhelm the listener with all kinds of wild things (HFTWs problem among many others if you need an example).

I'm 99% sure that Guy managed most of the production on Ghost Stories if I recall it correctly. That had to have a huge impact. Songs like Always in My Head, Fly On, Ghost Story, and both Os really bring home that feeling of an older album, the layering, mastering, it's all there.

I add All Your Friends to that list

• Like 2