✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

After listening to the entirety of Parachutes, AROBTTH, X&Y, Mylo Xyloto and AHFOD within 24 hours during my work, I couldn't help but notice...and I don't dare post this anywhere else but in the Oldplaying thread...that listening to AHFOD felt like listening to utter trash to me. I'm not out to offend anyone who likes it, but honestly it felt so forgettable and trivial next to the other albums (I can't say that about MX, in fact MX has still a lot of original and great melodies hidden in all its poppiness).

I agree, I can't see myself wanting to re listen to any track off the album. When I have such great choices, AHFOD really looks weak.

After listening to the entirety of Parachutes, AROBTTH, X&Y, Mylo Xyloto and AHFOD within 24 hours during my work, I couldn't help but notice...and I don't dare post this anywhere else but in the Oldplaying thread...that listening to AHFOD felt like listening to utter trash to me. I'm not out to offend anyone who likes it, but honestly it felt so forgettable and trivial next to the other albums (I can't say that about MX, in fact MX has still a lot of original and great melodies hidden in all its poppiness).

It is genuine rubbish.

I'm not saying this just to hate but like you said, up against the earlier work it just magnifies how bad Coldplay have become. I never thought listening to X&Y at 15 that this band that I cherished would end up releasing something as banal and generic as all the pop music I hated on the radio.

Really puts into perspective their fall from grace, MX looks like Viva in comparison!

• Like 1

I do agree. Even though I'm probably the only one in here that likes AHFOD it just can't compare to something like AROBTTH. Even some of my least favorite tracks on that album (A Whisper) I still love and they have this undeniable feeling to it that makes me love them so much. Then you have 7 absolutely outstanding fantastic songs on that album. Wheras in AHFOD you have 2, the 3rd one that's best is still really good, but after that they are still enjoyable for me, but not in the absolutely outstanding way. Then you have XMTS which should be burned. They're taking a new direction and I still like it even as it creeps closer to the mainstream scene, it's something different from them but the more I listen to Coldplay's older content, the more I realise just how much they've lost their ability to write songs like that .

• Like 4

For everyone here who is not the biggest fan of ahfod: who is going to see the band at the ahfod tour?

Me

Have you seen the newest setlist in the Setlist Leaked Thread ? If this is legit, it is good news for us Oldplayers !

If half of it is true I think I can forgive them for most of the past 5 years.

I think maybe theyre realizing that they have tons of released songs throughout the years and know that people want to hear them. Im excited to watch in 2 days to see what they play

Well it's not like Chris hasn't been hinting at it, it's just that after years of despondence it's a little tough to think anything good is on the way. Leading up to this he has been saying things along the lines of enjoying playing old songs again and "If you like Coldplay it's gonna be really good" which is possibly the vaguest statement I've ever heard but it's paying off.

For everyone here who is not the biggest fan of ahfod: who is going to see the band at the ahfod tour?

I'm going as well. and I am looking forward to it. I would love it if they would play mostly older songs.. if they would just play a rush of blood to the head OMG.. (instead of Hymn guys?.... :braces:)

But I like to confess that I also like the fact that they, like no other band/artist does, give you this addictive positive energy:bliss::loveshower: Lol!

Now Im hoping they wont play that X song, Im bringing a friend who is not really an allround music fan, now that song would just be emberrassing. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Well it's not like Chris hasn't been hinting at it, it's just that after years of despondence it's a little tough to think anything good is on the way. Leading up to this he has been saying things along the lines of enjoying playing old songs again and "If you like Coldplay it's gonna be really good" which is possibly the vaguest statement I've ever heard but it's paying off.

My hope is that if they truly view AHFOD as the end of the end of an album cycle, they might revisit stuff throughout this time period. And it's right that he said that about enjoying old songs again.

• Like 1

oh well I love X marks the spot....i'll be very happy if they would play it :p :D

I would love to hear it live. But they normally don't play hidden tracks live, right? Maybe on rare occasions.

My hope is that if they truly view AHFOD as the end of the end of an album cycle, they might revisit stuff throughout this time period. And it's right that he said that about enjoying old songs again.

I was thinking the same thing. If this is the end of a series, so to speak, they might be more inclined to include songs from the past.

• Like 2

So, so disappointing.

What I don't understand is why they would pick a slower song like UATW from MX when clearly the slower songs from the earlier era's are immensely superior. Why not swap out UATW (Non-single) for Trouble? (famous single) This would give a more rounded view of their discography, why not swap out Amazing Day for The Scientist? Just bad set-list placement in my opinion. Especially considering they virtually play nothing from X&Y there's no excuse not to try harder for us older fans.

With that being said I would still pay the price of admission to hear Politik and Green Eyes.

• Like 3