✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Radiohead v Coldplay

getithom

that is quite addictive. most radiohead members can basically form their own bands with lesser capable musicians and still be critically acclaimed. the amount of talent in that band is unparalleled in modern bands. the only band that i thought of writing that last sentence was arcade fire, but not quite.

One of the hardest things I remember having to tell myself early on into becoming a Radiohead fan was that, as a whole, Radiohead is a much more talented band than Coldplay is. I didn't want to accept it for the longest time, but it's simply the truth. Like you said, either of them could go solo and have it be critically acclaimed. Radiohead is a one-of-a-kind band, and while I admire every album of theirs (The Bends is better than Kid A), it just comes down to what I like more, you know? Coldplay will forever be my favorite band, but I recognize their faults. Just like I recognize Radiohead's faults. I love what both have done for the music world.

The only reason I even got into Radiohead was because Chris talked about Paranoid Android in an interview once and I was curious enough -- and bam. Four years later, I'm a superfan.

One of the hardest things I remember having to tell myself early on into becoming a Radiohead fan was that, as a whole, Radiohead is a much more talented band than Coldplay is. I didn't want to accept it for the longest time, but it's simply the truth. Like you said, either of them could go solo and have it be critically acclaimed. Radiohead is a one-of-a-kind band, and while I admire every album of theirs (The Bends is better than Kid A), it just comes down to what I like more, you know? Coldplay will forever be my favorite band, but I recognize their faults. Just like I recognize Radiohead's faults. I love what both have done for the music world.

The only reason I even got into Radiohead was because Chris talked about Paranoid Android in an interview once and I was curious enough -- and bam. Four years later, I'm a superfan.

I wouldn't say that Radiohead is a better band. But Radiohead is an art band. And Coldplay, I love them, but they've never been an art band. They follow too close to the pop formula. They don't mess with around with the thin line of noise and music like art bands, like NIN or Radiohead..or Pink Floyd. Now do I think that Coldplay is just a more simple band that can't do that?

No. Not at all. I think Coldplay chooses to make music to the pop crowd but they could go the art rock way too- but studio-heads and the people whispering into their ears..would be very upset about this. Coldplay basically has shareholders. They're their own economy. Really. And it takes a very ..up yours ..attitude to start saying..."you know...we're gonna make music that a lot of people aren't probably going to like".

I don't think Coldplay has the art-rock attitude, but not that they couldn't.. go that route. Look at Moving To Mars.

I think objectively speaking Radiohead are better than Coldplay; their lyrics are more striking, musicianship far superior, extreme experimentation combined with remarkable consistency etc...but Coldplay have a large amount of talent as well, they just haven't used it as well as Radiohead I think. Melodically they can't be touched and their streak of hits is amazing - for a band that started as one of the Bends-impersonators to still be the biggest band in the world 15 years later is stunning. But, similar to what you said, Radiohead will always be my favourite band and I'll always have a not-very-well-hidden slight crush on Jonny Greenwood ;)

PS. Kid A is the best album ever!

As to I Ran Away's question about whether Coldplays peak is behind them - basically, yep. I think Coldplay are still capable of great music but I just can't envisage them making another album of the quality of AROBTTH or Viva again. On A Rush, we got Politik, In My Place, GPASUYF, The Scientist, Clocks, Warning Sign, A Rush of Blood to the Head and Amsterdam - all among their very best and supported by a host of strong album tracks. I'd love them to make something of that brilliance again, but I just don't think they will. Obviously hope I'm dead wrong!

I think objectively speaking Radiohead are better than Coldplay; their lyrics are more striking, musicianship far superior, extreme experimentation combined with remarkable consistency etc...but Coldplay have a large amount of talent as well, they just haven't used it as well as Radiohead I think. Melodically they can't be touched and their streak of hits is amazing - for a band that started as one of the Bends-impersonators to still be the biggest band in the world 15 years later is stunning. But, similar to what you said, Radiohead will always be my favourite band and I'll always have a not-very-well-hidden slight crush on Jonny Greenwood ;)

PS. Kid A is the best album ever!

As to I Ran Away's question about whether Coldplays peak is behind them - basically, yep. I think Coldplay are still capable of great music but I just can't envisage them making another album of the quality of AROBTTH or Viva again. On A Rush, we got Politik, In My Place, GPASUYF, The Scientist, Clocks, Warning Sign, A Rush of Blood to the Head and Amsterdam - all among their very best and supported by a host of strong album tracks. I'd love them to make something of that brilliance again, but I just don't think they will. Obviously hope I'm dead wrong!

That's a bit of an oxymoron. Being objective is not the appropriate word to describe the point, since those views of Radiohead being better are down to your concept of music (i.e your opinion). They're certainly more complicated musically but there isn't any right or wrong answer. Myself personally, Radiohead have grown on me over the years. Instrumentally, they're excellent I think but Thom Yorke's vocals, with the exception of some songs I always listen to, they really really grate on me. Being on a Coldplay forum, many fans aren't going to share the same view you've expressed.

Also, it's not really on topic. It's discussion about 'A Head Full Of Dreams'. Do you want to start a topic on it and i'll get the posts moved over for you?

That's a bit of an oxymoron. Being objective is not the appropriate word to describe the point, since those views of Radiohead being better are down to your concept of music (i.e your opinion). They're certainly more complicated musically but there isn't any right or wrong answer. Myself personally, Radiohead have grown on me over the years. Instrumentally, they're excellent I think but Thom Yorke's vocals, with the exception of some songs I always listen to, they really really grate on me. Being on a Coldplay forum, many fans aren't going to share the same view you've expressed.

Also, it's not really on topic. It's discussion about 'A Head Full Of Dreams'. Do you want to start a topic on it and i'll get the posts moved over for you?

You'd have to ask the people who started the conversation, rather than myself.

I get what you mean, but I meant objective factors such as variety, experimentation etc...as compared to subjective factors such as the vocals you mention.

To clarify, I didn't mean Radiohead simply ARE better than Coldplay, but if you look at it from an objective musical basis they're superior. Doesn't make them better of course, I love Oasis and objectively speaking they were pretty poor compared to many bands I dislike.

On Radiohead: Radiohead are an absolutely amazing talent. The complexity and sheer genius of OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac far surpass ANY band of the last 30 years. With that being said, I wouldn't exactly call myself a Radiohead fan. I have to be in a certain mood to appreciate them as listening to Street Spirit for example, is a complete head wrecker. Listening to them for any significant period of time has got me down in the past (A testament to the power of their music)

Part of the reason I love Coldplay is probably because they're "Radiohead-Lite" so to speak. Coldplay still pack an emotional punch, yet it's easier to digest and the general ideology of Coldplay is melancholic for sure, but the end message is one of optimism. Radiohead's ideology is pure despair. Many have used this as a criticism of Coldplay in the past but I'm of the belief that it's one of Coldplay's greatest assets. They've taken the formula of Radiohead and added a strong pop sensibility, coupled with their own lovable spin. Coldplay will always be the foremost in my heart.

On AHFOD: Still waiting :(

You'd have to ask the people who started the conversation, rather than myself.

I get what you mean, but I meant objective factors such as variety, experimentation etc...as compared to subjective factors such as the vocals you mention.

To clarify, I didn't mean Radiohead simply ARE better than Coldplay, but if you look at it from an objective musical basis they're superior. Doesn't make them better of course, I love Oasis and objectively speaking they were pretty poor compared to many bands I dislike.

So, you've basically just repeated what you originally said :laugh3:

RH have so much talent... Imagine what they could have done if they decided to become more emotionally accessible / do some songs that are more appealing. Although I suppose the main issue preventing that is actually Thom Yorke - I'm sure the other members would manage equally amazing music as any if one day Thom managed 'happy' lyrics and a less snarly / protesty / whiney style of singing...

In saying that, bombast doesn't always make for better music... It can often be just as hard to do clean simple lines with devastating emotional impact - CP have a really good talent for that.

I'm going to speak my mind. I am an INSANELY OBSESSED fan of both. I bet I'm a bigger fan than everyone in this thread of Radiohaed :smug: but I don't know.

I have a right and I'm in a good position to compare the two considering I know and love every last song and b-side released by both of them. (I'm listening to How I made my millions while typing this)

First off, let me say, they're both VERY different. They've both made me feel unique and different feelings.

* Coldplay:

This band is amazing :3. What I like about them is the way they structure their songs. I honestly see a huge difference between Radiohead and Coldplay's song structure. Now I could talk about the way they write their songs for hours, but I think a better way of putting this down is to compare songs.

* Radiohead:

This band is also amazing. A lot of their songs take a lot of listens to get into, and once they click, its amazing. One thing Radiohead has that Coldplay doesn't is the kind of music that REALLY gets me dancing. And I mean flailing my arms around dancing. Bodysnatchers, Go to Sleep, 15 Steps.... When 15 steps clicked for mean I was like "HOLY CRAP!".

Ok, lets compare songs:

I Bloom Blaum:

I absolutley love the beautiful yet haunting guitar on this song. It is a short masterpiece with a beautiful melody and guitar throughout.

Help is Round the Corner:

I picked this song because I really like it. The chords get me every time. I learned to play this on guitar a while back, and I just love the way the chords transition.

No Surprises:

Holy crap. This song gets me high. I LOVE the structure. The structure is GENUIS. It goes through the verses, with a short and simple chorus, goes through an instrumental bridge of sorts, and then comes back with the verse in a beautiful way.

Ok I need to stop.

CONCLUSION:

Both are totally different. You can't pick one over the other.

Overall, heres what I want to say.

Coldplay feels more "reliable" to me. It feels more like home. No matter what they release, I know I will like it. It is a great to listen to when I just want some comfort music. I need to be in a mood to truly appreciate radiohead, but I guess that's a good thing.

They're both great in their own ways and cannot be compared.

1. Kid A (10/10)

2. Ok Computer (10/10)

3. In Rainbows (10/10)

4. = Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (9/10)

= The Bends (9/10)

5. A Rush of Blood to the Head (9/10)

6. Parachutes (8/10)

7. Amnesiac (7/10)

8. The King of Limbs (7/10)

9. Hail to the Thief (7/10)

10. Mylo Xyloto (6/10)

11. Ghost Stories (6/10)

12. X&Y (6/10)

13. Pablo Honey (5/10)

Oh god where to begin

It took me a while for myself to accept that i musically prefer radiohead over coldplay (and not only radiohead, but elbow and travis too) even tho coldplay is still my fav band because the relationship i have with them is simply different, deeper, than the one i have with radiohead or the other bands i mentioned.

Anyway there's something that needs to be clarified, Coldplay never wanted to reach Radiohead's level, Chris said it more than once, yes Radiohead was one of their main inspiration, but they've made it clear since the beginning that their aim was more pop and accessible than Radiohead.

That's why ive come to peace with my mind.

I think the members of Coldplay are capable of being as artistic as Radiohead, with A Spell A Rebel Yell, Rainy Day and anything from Viva really they've come close, but they choose not to, because

1) i think they'd be out of their comfort zone

2) what's the point? coldplay are unique in the spot in music they are right now, if they tried something more artistic they would crash with Arcade Fire and Radiohead, and they wouldnt be so unique then.

Radiohead on the other hand are WAY overrated by their fans: they are NOT an underground band, everyone knows them, they DIDNT invent anything new, there's a long list of underground bands/artists that did/keep doing what radiohead started doing with Kid A.

Radiohead are so critically acclaimed because they are a more accessible version of other acts (like Trifonic) but still not that accessible, making it appealing for people that want something out of the radio radar.

1. Kid A (10/10)

2. Ok Computer (10/10)

3. In Rainbows (10/10)

4. = Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (9/10)

= The Bends (9/10)

5. A Rush of Blood to the Head (9/10)

6. Parachutes (8/10)

7. Amnesiac (7/10)

8. The King of Limbs (7/10)

9. Hail to the Thief (7/10)

10. Mylo Xyloto (6/10)

11. Ghost Stories (6/10)

12. X&Y (6/10)

13. Pablo Honey

TKoL over HTTT??? and gs over x&y?? Those two are where I really disagree. ...

I honestly have never gotten into Kid A. Everyone is obsessed with that album. I don't know if I just need more time, but in terms of radiohead albums I ran them like this.

When I rank albums, I rank them including b-sides and live performances, ect.

1) In Rainbows - Amazing. Disc 2 and Disc 1. An amazing live performance in the basement as well.

2/3/4) OK Computer / Amnesiac / HTTT - These are three albums that constantly are changing order, and I'm afraid I'll never be able to order them.

5) TKOL - I honestly prefer this to Kid A. Supercollider, Feral, Give up the Ghost, Separator, Lotus Flower.

6) Kid A

7) The Bends

8) Pablo Honey

I honestly have never gotten into Kid A. Everyone is obsessed with that album. I don't know if I just need more time, but in terms of radiohead albums I ran them like this.

When I rank albums, I rank them including b-sides and live performances, ect.

1) In Rainbows - Amazing. Disc 2 and Disc 1. An amazing live performance in the basement as well.

2/3/4) OK Computer / Amnesiac / HTTT - These are three albums that constantly are changing order, and I'm afraid I'll never be able to order them.

5) TKOL - I honestly prefer this to Kid A. Supercollider, Feral, Give up the Ghost, Separator, Lotus Flower.

6) Kid A

7) The Bends

8) Pablo Honey

Then you did not listen to kid a repeatedly... I admit it's a little hard to get into but once you do it rocks your mind!

I can see why someone would prefer in rainbows over ok computer though....

A comparison that has no meaning. Coldplay have always been pop, Radiohead a rock band. CP made great music until 2010, Radiohead did also great music, but different.

It's like comparing Bach and Avicii. It has no sense because artistically they're different

A comparison that has no meaning. Coldplay have always been pop, Radiohead a rock band. CP made great music until 2010, Radiohead did also great music, but different.

It's like comparing Bach and Avicii. It has no sense because artistically they're different

I think the point of this thread is not to give an artistic comparison but to state one's own preference. And in that respect I can absolutely say that I prefer Bach to Avicii.

I think the point of this thread is not to give an artistic comparison but to state one's own preference. And in that respect I can absolutely say that I prefer Bach to Avicii.

:laugh3: @ prefering Bach

@beastwars Personally I think comparing CP vs RH to Avicii vs Bach is a little harsh. Its probably more like Bach vs Handel or Chopin vs Mozart... Or Lady Gaga vs Avicii if we're setting the bar low :rolleyes:

I think RH are technically superior (no surprises there) but CP more than make up for it with their earnestness, accessibility, attention to detail and beauty (as opposed to RH's often seething / paranoid underbelly). I appreciate RH as the band to go to if I feel like challenging myself or expanding musical boundaries, but CP are my staple band for good, dependable music that's not too difficult to digest at the end of a long day at work... They're comfort food for the soul and help keep me happy, centred, grounded and more at peace with the world so I can get up the next morning and "look forward" to doing it all again