✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah not sure if I can really define relevance, but speaking as an American, I can say that commercially, musically and pop culture-wise, they are definitely the least relevant they've ever been.

EL was hardly marketed like other CP albums, and the style of music presented is wildly different from the Top 40 sounds we're hearing nowadays. And finally, I think most people still "like" Coldplay but at this point I don't see them being a huge pop-culture influence in the 2020's. Every band has to reach a point where they become more "legacy" act and are less relevant to younger people.

That's not to say they're not still important to a ton of people and that their albums can't win awards, or sell out shows. U2, Radiohead, Muse, and others still get tons of media and press recognition and alternative radio play when they drop stuff. But we're never gonna relive OK Computer or Joshua Tree, if that makes sense. Nor will we X&Y. Even if they drop some radio singles for LP9, we still have to contend with the fact that band music is not what people are looking for anymore.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

I see what you mean about them not being as mainstream with this album and therefore not reaching as many people.

Personally, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything because of it, it doesn't change the way I think about their music. And whether or not other people enjoy it is up to them (I don't enjoy everything that's mainstream currently either).

I also think that change in mainstream music doesn't necessarily have to come from within it, or that it would happen suddenly. What I'm trying to say is it's hard to judge what impact this album might really have in the end. Someone mentioned the sustainable touring comments, this will also not suddenly change the industry but over time could have a bigger impact than any act currently touring.

Even if it doesn't have any wider impact then in terms of the band's legacy it's still very positive so I don't worry about it.

• Like 1

EL was hardly marketed like other CP Albums

It was heavily promoted by the band and Parlophone in the lead-up to its release,..

we still have to contend with the fact that band music is not what people are looking for anymore...

I wonder why they didn't market it like other albums. In certain ways it can be compared to 'Ghost Stories', also an album which they didn't tour and of which they knew it would soon be followed by another album. But 'Ghost Stories' was heavily promoted in the lead-up to ist release and so immediately became number 1 in about 70 countries.

Were they really not interested in the success of EL?

Btw, I don't think band music is not what people are looking for anymore. I think the success of solo singers at the moment is because there aren't many great bands around (with the exception of Coldplay, of course).

Edited by Guest
  • Like 4

I wonder why they didn't market it like other albums. In certain ways it can be compared to 'Ghost Stories', also an album which they didn't tour and of which they knew it would soon be followed by another album. But 'Ghost Stories' was heavily promoted in the lead-up to ist release and so immediately became number 1 in about 70 countries.

Were they really not interested in the success of EL?

Btw, I don't think band music is not what people are looking for anymore. I think the success of solo singers at the moment is because there aren't many great bands around (with the exception of Coldplay, of course).

I wonder if people will see them as the last big band in thirty years

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Woohoo champion of the world!!!

Y’know what this song I didn’t really like at first I thought it was a bit meh but now it’s really grown on me and it’s not a bad tune, I hope they will play as maybe an encore song on their next tour.

this video looks pretty cool so far too, with schoolboy Chris and all haha

• Like 4

This and Flags have been on repeat for a while now, for me.

The same for me, I love those catchy melodies and the lyrics are very uplifting. The video is good, too, but it is fairly simple, just retelling the story. I would have liked to see E.T. on his bike. I like the end when all the members, each on top of his own planet earth, are playing: Coldplay in command of the universe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The other day I received a physical copy of the Japanese edition of Everyday Life. I was surprised to discover that it was different from the regular version, which I had purchased before, in another aspect apart from the inclusion of Flags as a bonus track. Except for the majority of the text and the symbols, in my opinion the surface of the standard version is matt and lustreless, so are the pages of the booklet. They're solid and sturdy. On the other hand, the hardcover of the Japanese edition is more glossy. I find the surface more smooth. Even the booklet looks more high-quality and feels more pleasant to touch as they are glossy as well. It reminded me of an exhibition catalog. Morevover, I was shocked to find out that the CD had been additionally put in a protective plastic packet despite being in the album case itself!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 12:40 AM, M Marks The Spot said:

The other day I received a physical copy of the Japanese edition of Everyday Life. I was surprised to discover that it was different from the regular version, which I had purchased before, in another aspect apart from the inclusion of Flags as a bonus track. Except for the majority of the text and the symbols, in my opinion the surface of the standard version is matt and lustreless, so are the pages of the booklet. They're solid and sturdy. On the other hand, the hardcover of the Japanese edition is more glossy. I find the surface more smooth. Even the booklet looks more high-quality and feels more pleasant to touch as they are glossy as well. It reminded me of an exhibition catalog. Morevover, I was shocked to find out that the CD had been additionally put in a protective plastic packet despite being in the album case itself!

You mean the inner sleeve like those?

The Japanese are suckers for excessive packaging.

B319B9E1-9099-4939-AB4D-60DE8BB3B2C3.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yasuko said:

You mean the inner sleeve like those?

The Japanese are suckers for excessive packaging.

B319B9E1-9099-4939-AB4D-60DE8BB3B2C3.jpeg

Yes, exactly! I was shocked to find it out because I had never seen anything like that before. No wonder the physical sales of music media have still been profitable in Japan.

On 5/17/2020 at 12:40 PM, M Marks The Spot said:

I have both regular and japanese versions of EL. I didn't notice the increase of quality, have to chech them side by side, I just opened it once to copy the tracks on my PC (real lossless Flags sounds SO GREAT). The extra bag for the CD was a nice detail tho. What kinda pissed me off was the fact that there's no lyrics for Flags on the booklet, just a little mention of the track on the japanese mini-booklet, but no lyrics. 

Edited by MarckozZ
  • Care 1

1 minute ago, MarckozZ said:

I have both regular and japanese versions of EL. I didn't notice the increase of quality, have to chech them side ny side, I just opened it once to copy the tracks on my PC (real lossless Flags sounds SO GREAT). The extra bag for the CD was a nice detail tho. What kinda pissed me off was the fact that there's no lyrics for Flags on the booklet, just a little mention of the track on the japanese mini-booklet, but no lyrics. 

That's odd, haha! I know that it's strange but I can clearly see and feel the difference between the two editions that I own. But does this kind of matter happen often? What would be the point in using different materials for creating and printing various versions of the same album (not the content, but the case itself)?

10 minutes ago, MarckozZ said:

What kinda pissed me off was the fact that there's no lyrics for Flags on the booklet, just a little mention of the track on the japanese mini-booklet, but no lyrics. 

Yes, you're right. I consider it a failure if I'm honest with you. Adding and producing one or two more pages in the booklet should not have been a problem at all. 

8 minutes ago, M Marks The Spot said:

Yes, you're right. I consider it a failure if I'm honest with you. Adding and producing one or two more pages in the booklet should not have been a problem at all. 

Well, it is a problem when it comes to mass production. Adding two more pages involves a lot when it comes to assembling and such. And as per the quality, maybe the japanese manufacturer just uses more premium materials (higher quality paper, ink and printers) to make the books, that's no wonder since japanese factories tend to have higher quality standards...

• Like 1