✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

EL kind of reminds me of X&Y.

Okay, so obviously they're completely different but they're about the same length, each have very distinct styles, and each explores different genres. EL is going to be a fan favorite for some, just like X&Y, while others are totally gonna find it all over the place. In fact, critical response has been similar. If you look at basically every other Coldplay album, I think there is a lot of special attention payed to the flow and structure, but to me EL and X&Y feel a little bit more like a playlist. Longterm, I just don't see EL as an album the band will revisit. Obviously X&Y isn't revisited for other reasons, but idk. I feel like X&Y is a mood album that's 100% amazing when I want to play it. EL is the same. I don't turn on EL for fun, I turn it on for a mood and to soak in the atmosphere, not to hum along to every catchy moment.

Personally, I like X&Y and EL more than Ghost Stories, MX, and AHFOD. But I often find myself gravitating more towards those newplay records because they're catchy, energetic, saccharine, and nice to have in the background, if that makes sense.

• Like 9

I made a comment about the interviewer and then took it away, but I had a similar weird vibe about that interview; this guy is the founder of The Rolling Stone afterall. There were some better parts on the back half, but yeah, it started strangely particularly the part you mentioned.

I mean, how is it fair to compare Coldplay to the best individual bits of everyone else? Oh, Coldplay isnt as hardworking as Bruce, they dont dance as well as Beyonce, not as big as U2. What a joke. You can't be the best at absolutely everything, but you can do the best that you can, and thats what Coldplay is about!

Although I didn't like the interviewer at all, I really enjoyed watching this interview.

I understand your comments. To me the guy felt so pretentious and snarky. He cleary didn't know much about the album, and was also very scornful (if that's the right word?) about Chris' answers and "self deprecation". He came across very arrogant, I think.

But I really enjoyed the way Chris openly talked about his youth. Although I had read before about his troubles as a teenager, I have never seen him adress this in an interview. And also, it just makes me happy when he talks about the fire inside him and desire to just make music for everyone who is into it.

• Like 6

This interview was just painful to watch. Chris seemed to be in a not-so-talkative mood and none of the DJs had obviously heard any of the album other than orphans. And all the out of context quotes from other interviews. Ugh

• Like 2

Not available for me. :(

v p n t i m e

I like the sound of Trouble in Town a lot, and while I appreciate the police harassment dialogue in it I don't like hearing it with every listen. It's very grating.

So I did a couple of edits. Nothing fancy. I say that because I realise there's some boffins and wizards here.

One of my edits contains just the last bit of dialogue that is mostly drowned in the music. It's actually the better one IMO because the transition at the edit isn't as jarring.

If you would like to hear them and give feedback (or do it better then I have) message me for a link.

Cheers

I'd be interested!

Looks like we are getting music videos for at least most of the songs. That's one way to compensate for a short era.

[MEDIA=twitter]1200890490201223168[/MEDIA]

View: https://twitter.com/I_Ran_Away/status/1200890490201223168?s=19

As @42Excapist said, probably Trouble in Town. Really interested to see that one, and how they play out what's going on in the sample in real time.

Wonder why they're specifically looking for talent from NYC only though. Surely any highly populated urban area would work just as well, if they're looking for people who are specifically well-adjusted to city life and inherently know its ins and outs? I know they're looking for a specific "accent" but I'm pretty sure you don't have to be from NYC to have that accept, and there's probably many people from there who don't have that accent as well, if they're looking to do it to "save time". Just sounds a little nitpicky to me.

Then again, maybe it's easier to coordinate flights from one place to another rather than switching them around if it was open to everybody around the world..... then they could just travel there, but that would be a lot more cost on the person they select that they'd either have to make up or the person would lose some of the money they're paid.

Remember how Chris mentioned how Everyday Life originated with the stripped down and raw "Wedding Album" from about 10 years ago?

Well, another collab between Avicii and Chris has leaked--the track is called Lethal Drug. I will not link to it nor share any leaks, but here's something I noticed. As you can see from this "best guess" at the lyrics if you haven't heard the song yet...

https://genius.com/Coldplay-lethal-drug-lyrics

Just look at this verse:

"All summer we hung round'

On the streets of our hometown

Dreamed about us getting close

Dressing in your wedding clothes"

I really think Lethal Drug is more unused material from the "Wedding Album," which makes sense because the title "Love In A Lethal Dose" (which is another lyric in this song!) was first revealed in 2009 along with titles like Arabesque, Car Kids, Spanish Rain, and Cartoon Heart.

For whatever reason Coldplay decided to give Lethal Drug to Avicii, with Chris still singing on the final version. But it's interesting to think about the song's shared origins with at least part of Everyday Life. :)

Darn, yet another song leaked!

I agree with your opinion though, this definitely does sound like a Wedding Album-era song based on the lyrics alone (feels so weird saying that, when we all know we're supposed to not even know about the scrapped album in the first place!)

I'm so confused about the part where the interviewer goes on about how 8 albums in 19 years isn't productive? What? That's an album every 2.5 years how in the world is that unproductive?

I feel like this interview could have been so much more.

The interviewer is probably used to interviewing superficial manufactured pop acts who have an album prepared for them every year or so. Apparently that's "unproductive", maybe just in the sense that they could make more money by releasing more albums, but that more often than not leads to low quality garbage that sounds like it was smashed together very quickly. Quality over quantity - oh wait, that means we would have to give up some of our very important profit..... God forbid!

Didn't bother to listen to the interview and I won't after hearing others say they asked some pretty superficial questions. Sounds like a waste of time to me, and I wouldn't expect anything more from a mainstream media outlet such as TRS either.

Although then again.....

I actually thought the interview was great. Was it the first time that Chris opened up so much? Normally their interviews are so much more restrained and interspersed with awkward humor that they sort of feel like a waste of time, like something they had to do. This one, though, was genuinely interesting (to me).

Apparently as @gai and @Bauk mentioned the interview itself is still great because Chris really opened up about his childhood and some other stuff. Just sounds like the interviewer themself sounds very arrogant, which is again something I totally wouldn't have expected from TRS :joy:

A post on r/reddit said they were told they wont ship their merch from Coldplay.com until Jan 2020....wtf is going on!? So glad I canceled.

[MEDIA=reddit]Coldplay/comments/e6409k[/MEDIA]

View: https://old.reddit.com/r/Coldplay/comments/e6409k/lets_go_boys_love_preordering_and_getting_it_2/

Wowwww what a hassle.

I didn't participate in this discussion just because I wasn't a part of the club that ordered anything but now I'm glad I didn't because this sounds like such an atrocious mess.

Also as a frequent Reddit user I'd like to politely remind you that you were probably trying to refer to r/Coldplay :joy:

I often find myself gravitating more towards those newplay records because they're catchy, energetic, saccharine, and nice to have in the background, if that makes sense.

Which is why lots of people don't like them, they're plain "background" music, cause music always gotta have reeeeeel f e e l i n g and e m o t i o n every single time right? it's gotta be m o o d y n all

I personally think depending on the mood I'm seeking any Coldplay album could work and stand out on its own to be listened to, I wouldn't put on most of Mylo in the background as it's extremely energetic and many parts throughout are begging to be turnt and blastd. But like most other stuff nah, I'd actually think more Oldplay records would work better in the background IMO as long as they aren't too too emotional. Not to say they're worse albums per se, because I really do like all the Coldplay records and any of these songs are definitely up to concentrated listening as well.

• Like 5

@jc90 I can understand your anger. I thought Warner would be better than Live Nation but apparently they are even worse. Got one of my pre-orders 11 days too late and the other one hasn't even been shipped yet. I really love the pin so I'm worried my second preorder will be shipped without pins, if it ever will be shipped !!

Sent them an email 3 days ago but no reply.

• Angry 1

@jc90 I can understand your anger. I thought Warner would be better than Live Nation but apparently they are even worse. Got one of my pre-orders 11 days too late and the other one hasn't even been shipped yet. I really love the pin so I'm worried my second preorder will be shipped without pins, if it ever will be shipped !!

Sent them an email 3 days ago but no reply.

Sorry about that!

And at the same time, the CD I ordered from Amazon 2 days ago came a day early....Also cheaper than what I wouldve paid!

• Like 2

I'm so confused about the part where the interviewer goes on about how 8 albums in 19 years isn't productive? What? That's an album every 2.5 years how in the world is that unproductive?

I feel like this interview could have been so much more.

Well, the interviewer, Jann Wenner, is the founder of Rolling Stone magazine.

First issue of the magazine was in the late 1960s. So, apparently he's from the generation where artists released two albums per year.

• Like 3

Well, the interviewer, Jann Wenner, is the founder of Rolling Stone magazine.

First issue of the magazine was in the late 1960s. So, apparently he's from the generation where artists released two albums per year.

so actually Chris' answer should have been "with all due respect, ok boomer"

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

In the interview with Virgin Radio (French) Chris mentioned about that picture "Music of the Spheres" and "FTFF2024" saying that that picture does mean something...I don't understand french well, so I'm not sure of the entire conversation

Also will be great if someone here who understands french could give us highlights of the 13 minute interview

• Like 6
  • Wow 2