Orphans - Sunset

danirl87

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you guys notice a small glitch in the track at 1:46? Just when the chorus kicks in; there's a small little break RIGHT before the downbeat of the chorus. This usually happens when a section of an audio file is cut and placed elsewhere (especially in remixes/rearrangements) in the track but there isn't a crossfade between the sections. But I can't imagine nobody noticing a glitch in the track, so I'm guessing it's made like that? Sounds a little weird to me for some reason. Anybody else feel the same way?

• Like 5

The lyrics to this are beautiful. The most poetic and heart-breaking Chris has wrote for some time. The hip-hop beat is perfect. The bass is infectious. The chorus is massive. It might just be a political pop ditty, but it's the real deal on all fronts. As we say here in the north - tune.

• Like 4

Speaking as an Oldplayer - I love this song. Like I'm really impressed. The production is top-notch. The chorus is infectiously catchy and has a tinge of sadness to it. It's also just really perfectly concise too which makes it really replayable.

Love: In contention for my new fave CP bassline. I love the "boom ka boom boom ka" (is that Moses?). Great intro and outro. Love the very end of "I wanna be with you until the whole world ends." glass percussion is sweet. I just love when Chris sings about other people and tries* to share narratives.

Critique* - There is a straight up error in the mix at 1:46.... Like a quarter second is missing? Chris' lyrics are ... interesting. I'm going to reserve my judgement until the whole album contextualizes this track, but I'm confused by the guy growing food, then the girl wanting to be in movies but they get bombed.... but like it's a "boom boom" catchy bombing? "Getting drunk with my friends" then back to bombing and the world ending. I'm just confused....

• Like 8

Speaking as an Oldplayer - I love this song. Like I'm really impressed. The production is top-notch. The chorus is infectiously catchy and has a tinge of sadness to it. It's also just really perfectly concise too which makes it really replayable.

Love: In contention for my new fave CP bassline. I love the "boom ka boom boom ka" (is that Moses?). Great intro and outro. Love the very end of "I wanna be with you until the whole world ends." glass percussion is sweet. I just love when Chris sings about other people and tries* to share narratives.

Critique* - There is a straight up error in the mix at 1:46.... Like a quarter second is missing? Chris' lyrics are ... interesting. I'm going to reserve my judgement until the whole album contextualizes this track, but I'm confused by the guy growing food, then the girl wanting to be in movies but they get bombed.... but like it's a "boom boom" catchy bombing? "Getting drunk with my friends" then back to bombing and the world ending. I'm just confused....

In regards to the lyrics vs the tone of the song, I think if The Arctic Monkeys or Kasabian made a song like this no one would question it.

It’s similar to Pumped Up Kicks or 99 red balloons. A happy sounding song with dark lyrics.

• Like 4

Ah, so you felt the glitch at 1:46 too. I thought something was wrong with my system or something. But when it happened across platforms, I realised that it could be a problem in the track itself.

It's really strange that such a glitch has come through without anyone at Coldplay HQ noticing it.

• Like 1

I love Jonny's guitar riffs, Will's percussion sounds wonderful, Chris' lyrics are wonderful as well. The combination of all of Chris' notes and the combination of all the instruments is splendid. And oh, wow, Jonny's guitar riffs sound as beautiful and catchy as always. You've never disappointed us J! That guitar riff at the end is making the song complete, it's simple but it's just perfect!

I love it, it sounds like Coldplay. To me, it has vibes of many music styles, in one song, which is amazing! Can't stop listening to this track :heart_eyes:

EDIT: Guy's bass lines WOW!

• Like 4

It's pop Coldplay without Stargate and overproduction -- something I've been wanting badly for a while now. It's catchy, it's a fun listen, yet it's quite meaningful and sad beneath the upbeat exterior... I'm interpreting it as a song about kids in a war zone who have nowhere to run and just want to live their lives. This is their true Everyday Life versus the Everyday Life they want to live. It kinda compliments ALIENS and Moving to Mars, except these are the folks who can't run.

It kinda reminds me of Lovers in Japan actually

It sounds to me like a mishmash of Lovers In Japan, Strawberry Swing, and ETIAW.

• Like 7

As I said on Reddit earlier today, Orphans is about as close to perfect indie pop as you can get. Unlike MX, Ghost Stories and AHFOD, the pop Orphans carries just sounds so damn clean. It’s true to itself and doesn’t try to create a phony level of emotion in a song that carries a bittersweet message. My biggest complaint for me currently is that it feels too short, like something’s missing. That, and there are two very clear mixing errors at the beginning and around 1:46. I hope they’re fixed by next month.

• Like 7

I'm still annoyed by the intro to Miracles (Someone Special) where that synth cuts out for a second a couple of times. Just feels weird when I listen to it, I seriously thought it was a glitch at first. But I suppose it was intended to be that way because it was never changed.

Hopefully the little glitchy bit of Orphans gets fixed for the album release. I can't imagine why it would be left as it is. But at least it doesn't really detract from the song.

• Like 1

I interpret the song as a story about Rosaleen and her Father (Baba) who were living good lives and had a bright future ahead of them, but were bombed to death in the Damascus bombings and are now greeted by archangels Cherub and Seraphim on the doorsteps of heaven.

• Like 8