✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Flags - Sunset - Bonus track (Japan exclusive)

Coeurli

I had been reading through the lyrics to Flags people had been posting on the internet (because the band won't post the official lyrics online...). They kept saying "telephone in through a region" and I was like "no, it sounds like Chris is saying 'ouija,' am I the only one who hears this?"

It looks like someone finally corrected that line on genius.com, which is the only lyric site I really trust to be accurate anymore :joy:

"You may telephone in through a ouija

Is there any advice that you could give?"

Makes me think that Flags could at least partially be about the speaker talking to the ghosts of people from the past who wanted to "be whatever they wanted to be" but lived under oppression and injustice. The speaker is asking for advice from these brave people, looking for courage in a world that is still dark and unjust.

By the way, isn't it a pity that they haven't released this song in a country that is not Japan?

I'm really curious to see how many Spotify streams Flags has in Japan. Anyone from Japan or is somebody able to see how many streams it got, no idea if it's even possible?!

• Like 1

I had been reading through the lyrics to Flags people had been posting on the internet (because the band won't post the official lyrics online...). They kept saying "telephone in through a region" and I was like "no, it sounds like Chris is saying 'ouija,' am I the only one who hears this?"

Haha, this is really funny. Actually, I've got no idea what he's singing, but I always pretend like he sings ''have you been telephoned by a Norwegian?'' or something like that. HAHAHA :joy:

• Like 2

It was me that changed the Genius lyrics, I thought Ouija made sense in the context of the rest of the lyrics, "the talk amongst the skeletons this morning" etc about looking back at your life after you've died. Still no idea what the first part of the sentence is though!

It was me that changed the Genius lyrics, I thought Ouija made sense in the context of the rest of the lyrics, "the talk amongst the skeletons this morning" etc about looking back at your life after you've died. Still no idea what the first part of the sentence is though!

Oh my love oh my love oh my love, lalala lalala lalala

By the way, isn't it a pity that they haven't released this song in a country that is not Japan?

I'm really curious to see how many Spotify streams Flags has in Japan. Anyone from Japan or is somebody able to see how many streams it got, no idea if it's even possible?!

12,236 streams

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I hear 'Juliet telephoning by Ouija' :)

my thought was "Julie telephoned in by a ouija" so looks like we're on the same track! but i also thought it might be weird for Chris to suddenly give a "character" in the song a proper name who is fictional and not someone that lived in our world :shrug:

but he definitely mentions ouija, my interpretation is that this person puts out a message for advice and gets an answer from the Holy Roman army :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think it might be Juliet as in Romeo and Juliet ?

After all, that song does cite a few pieces of music and several lyrics on EL and AHFOD cite works of literature (Book of Luminous Things, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Half the Sky, Conference of Birds)

• Like 1

Do you think it might be Juliet as in Romeo and Juliet ?

After all, that song does cite a few pieces of music and several lyrics on EL and AHFOD cite works of literature (Book of Luminous Things, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Half the Sky, Conference of Birds)

Why would Juliet want to phone Romeo by an Ouija since both died at the same time?