✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

4 hours ago, ToniMoreno said:

Well, I dont agrre with the general possitive point of view I´ve read here from the new album. I think that as fans we should be more ¿fussy/exigent? with the band.

There is a road from Viva la Vida/MX to pop music that I think is not good for Coldplay. Sometimes I have the feeling that they go to easy, to some very simple formulas that they (and the record company) know it works. And, Why? EL show us that they can make some "not mainstream music" and still get the nº1 in charts. Songs like Arabesque or Coloratura in this new album has had very good reception. They did it earlier with GS and sons like Midnight.

So, why they insist (and I think is specially Chris) to make songs like My Universe or High Power that musically dont contribute anything, is electropop music, very empty. Just listen the instrumental versions of this songs... Is only to get nº1 in charts? They dont need that, they can shell lot of albums and singles without this pop formula.

And its awful to see that the Coldplay discography is filling up with that type of songs like SJLT, Orphans, My Universe, Hym for the Weekend... that are very far from what more of us "understand" what is a "coldplay song".

Sorry for my poor english, in spanish I could explaning best.

The point is that I dont like this pop sound that Coldplay have since many years. I dont know if Im the only one here thinking that...

The could do that with the Los Unidades name instead of Coldplay, and let Coldplay for their less mainstrain songs or not pop.

Coloratura - 4.1 million views

My Universe - 43 million views

There's your answer. But it's not like the band are being forced to make more pop sounding songs, they want to and enjoy doing them. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ToniMoreno said:

Well, I dont agrre with the general possitive point of view I´ve read here from the new album. I think that as fans we should be more ¿fussy/exigent? with the band.

There is a road from Viva la Vida/MX to pop music that I think is not good for Coldplay. Sometimes I have the feeling that they go to easy, to some very simple formulas that they (and the record company) know it works. And, Why? EL show us that they can make some "not mainstream music" and still get the nº1 in charts. Songs like Arabesque or Coloratura in this new album has had very good reception. They did it earlier with GS and sons like Midnight.

So, why they insist (and I think is specially Chris) to make songs like My Universe or High Power that musically dont contribute anything, is electropop music, very empty. Just listen the instrumental versions of this songs... Is only to get nº1 in charts? They dont need that, they can shell lot of albums and singles without this pop formula.

And its awful to see that the Coldplay discography is filling up with that type of songs like SJLT, Orphans, My Universe, Hym for the Weekend... that are very far from what more of us "understand" what is a "coldplay song".

Sorry for my poor english, in spanish I could explaning best.

The point is that I dont like this pop sound that Coldplay have since many years. I dont know if Im the only one here thinking that...

The could do that with the Los Unidades name instead of Coldplay, and let Coldplay for their less mainstrain songs or not pop.

I get what you're saying, and I agree in parts, but the thing is: we just need to accept that this is a new Coldplay. At least that's what I did.

The band I fell in love was the old one, from the first 3 albums. I really wanted them to follow that route, but things change and it's really unfair to ask them to be the same thing they used to be.

Do I think they are making some "lazy music" since MX? I do, it's pretty generic most of the time. I think they can be better than that. But it is what it is. They embraced the Pop formula and that's fine. I know it's hard and I used to be really disappointed, but I had to understand that probably that old Coldplay will never come back. It's a new band and I realized that I can get used to it.

Pop Coldplay can be enjoyable, there's a lot of their DNA on the new things. I'm still not a fan of the My Universes, SJLT, Hymns for the Weekend... but in each project I still find something that I love, that reminds me of the first albums. And that's what makes it worth to still be a fan :)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, PHReb10 said:

I get what you're saying, and I agree in parts, but the thing is: we just need to accept that this is a new Coldplay. At least that's what I did.

The band I fell in love was the old one, from the first 3 albums. I really wanted them to follow that route, but things change and it's really unfair to ask them to be the same thing they used to be.

Do I think they are making some "lazy music" since MX? I do, it's pretty generic most of the time. I think they can be better than that. But it is what it is. They embraced the Pop formula and that's fine. I know it's hard and I used to be really disappointed, but I had to understand that probably that old Coldplay will never come back. It's a new band and I realized that I can get used to it.

Pop Coldplay can be enjoyable, there's a lot of their DNA on the new things. I'm still not a fan of the My Universes, SJLT, Hymns for the Weekend... but in each project I still find something that I love, that reminds me of the first albums. And that's what makes it worth to still be a fan ?

I love your opinion and I feel you!  Remember that the band is doing this not to become more popular or to top the charts - they are having a blast and genuinely enjoy this “pop sound”. They love performing these songs live as well - one can tell. Curious, have you been to a live show?  The beauty about the live shows is that you get the old songs as well!  There is no longer a specific “Coldplay” sound anymore. They have been around for 20 years which is mind boggling because I feel like time has flown by so fast.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Basically I agree with both of you because even though their "original sound" has obviously changed over time, some of their pop songs are still enjoyable. I'm far from appreciating everything that I they have put out after Viva, but when I occasionally listen to generic pop music, in many cases I prefer their pop sound to many other artists (even though I also fell in love with Coldplay listening to the first four albums, which are my favourite ones).

Every now and then they still experiment with something new, so I don't really think they are exclusively stuck in pop music. I don't know, and actually I'm not even interested in knowing, if this might be a strategy to expand their fan base or whatever. I've come to terms with their choice to keep evolving in different directions (included the pop one), if this allows them to be still out there and to put out a "Coloratura" or a "Everyday life lp" from time to time. 

I think it is a bit tricky to consider their production in terms of old/new sound, because for example even though I love Coloratura and I've appreciated lp8, to me their sound is quite different from the old albums. In other words, I don't think they will ever go completely back to their origins, and this could make sense, as we have already at least 3 albums with the same style. But maybe we will get something even better, if they keep experimenting, who knows. 

Personally so far I like 3 songs of the tracks we know in MOTS, but none of them resembles the "typical Coldplay sound", and I'm ok with it ?

Edited by only.your.imagination
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PHReb10 said:

Pop Coldplay can be enjoyable, there's a lot of their DNA on the new things. I'm still not a fan of the My Universes, SJLT, Hymns for the Weekend... but in each project I still find something that I love, that reminds me of the first albums. And that's what makes it worth to still be a fan :)

They cant sound exactly as in their first albums, thats make sense. But They can choose to make music that looks like an evolution from their old jobs. One good example is People of the Pride, that show us how can they sound if they wanted, with a more rock sound.

Maybe the point is that they (and I think Chris and Will specially) love make pop music. Its correct, and obviously they are free to make the music that they feel or like, but that cant meaning zero critics and always clap what they do (Im talking in general).

I (we) know what they can do, and I think that we have to demand Coldplay to make music at this level, not conform with everything they do.

Its true that in all LP we have very special material, but it seems like we have always to conform to only 1-2-3 songs in a LP, and normally in their concerts this type of songs are out or background.

I´m thinking now in the Kaleidoscope EP, where 4 of the 5 songs were very good, but what is the material that the band promotes and play live? Even in the Tokyo Live on the AHFOD tour they didnt put All I Can Think About Is You, when this was the live debut of that song.

I know that this opinion is very minoruty, but is what I feel.

Edited by ToniMoreno

Many bands change their style over time because of changing tastes both in the bands and the people listening to them. Radiohead radically changed their style twice, with the releases of OK Computer and Kid A. The late David Bowie's style is almost unrecognisable on The Next Day and Blackstar/No Plan compared to his early days. Feeder changed, albeit on a smaller scale, from the hard rock of Just A Day to the art rock of Just The Way I'm Feeling (a really good song by the way; worth a listen). Katy Perry started off quite respectfully - Hot 'N Cold was great. Her newer songs less so. Coldplay's change is to be expected, and luckily I quite like a lot of their modern stuff (bar AHFOD, which was pretty poorly made most of the time).

• Like 1

I already had my "oh no they're selling out" moment around MX in 2011. Ten years on and I'm just along for the ride. Coldplay are going to put out a pop album every second album, that's just the way it is now. They still release albums like Everyday Life and songs like Coloratura every now and then so I still think they're worth following. And for whatever it's worth, MOTS is shaping up to be a stronger album than AHFOD. Would I rather Coldplay continued in the direction of VLV? Of course, but I don't see much point in complaining about it now. Pop Coldplay is not my favourite Coldplay by any means, but generally speaking they do a better take on it than most pop artists in the charts. If they are going to do this ultra-radio friendly mainstream pop sound I'd rather hear it done well, and for the most part Coldplay do it well. 

• Like 5

On 10/5/2021 at 1:37 PM, TheBigBadBono said:

The thing is, if they didn't release Coloratura the entire Internet's Anti-Coldplay agenda would be in full swing.

"They haven't made anything good since Viva!"

"BTS and Selena? No thanks!"

"I want to see classic Coldplay, not stupid pop dance Coldplay"

"Max Martin only does stupid pop songs!"

Yup and I would be one of them! ?

I’ve just finished watching the How you see the World 2006 concert and while there was something quite special about the older Coldplay, I’m really glad they are where they are now. I fully support their pop inclination because Coldplay know how to put out an absolute BANGER, plus it’s earning them tremendous success (huge sales, sold out stadium shows, big name collabs, etc) Especially with the new album. Max Martin really has been the gift we needed after the stargate episode with AHFOD and the muddy mixing of MX (as much as I love this album). Pop isn’t their only direction though, they are also exploring different sounds and genres as they had with EL. Guy even mentioned that they’ve been in their most ‘creative period’ while recording this project. So far it’s been paying off and I really do think this album will be Coldplay’s new peak. ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, the_escapist said:

My guess is that the CDs will start arriving to stores early next week and then the probability of a leak will be greater.

But it might be the case that for certain markets the CDs have already been shipped and we get a surprise later this week.

Question for the entire forum: if it leaks, would you listen?

Personally I'll hold out until the urge becomes unbearable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheBigBadBono said:

of course I will !

Then on Oct 15th, I will buy the physical album and keep listen to it on the official streaming platforms. Cause I'm a good boy ?

53 minutes ago, TheBigBadBono said:

Agreed - Chris always said they'd like to keep their sound fresh and never retread - although they may go back and rerecord X&Y sometime in the future.

This is funny because the sound of the last 10 years are very similar. The sound and the structure itself, with chorus in all songs...

Chris also said after AHFOD that they wouldnt do more conventional albums and now we get this LP full of collaborations and radio-pop singles, so... xD

I wrote yesterday a post but is again "hidden". I dont know why xD

I´m not going to write twice the same, is true that Coldplay now likes (specially Chris) to make pop music. Ok, they can do whatever they want or like, is fantastic. But we have also the freedom to say if what they do is "good" or not, or if we like it. Personally I think that Coldplay has choosen the wrong direction, and as who someone who likes them and their music I want to say that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TheBigBadBono said:

I mentioned only listening to Human Heart and People of the Pride since those are already "out" but who am I kidding, I'll definitely listen to it. I already bought a physical copy and 1 pure copy = 1500 streams by US chart rules, I can stream a leak 1500 times! ?

Edited by gustavothehuman
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, gustavothehuman said:

I mentioned only listening to Human Heart and People of the Pride since those are already "out" but who am I kidding, I'll definitely listen to it. I already bought a physical copy and 1 pure copy = 1500 streams by US chart rules, I can stream a leak 1500 times! ?

I'm crazy, I ordered 5 different copies of this album. Never did that before...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, ToniMoreno said:

This is funny because the sound of the last 10 years are very similar. The sound and the structure itself, with chorus in all songs...

Sound - really, very similar? You have the guitar-driven fuzzy electropop/rock of Mylo Xyloto characterized by witty lyrics, ambient soundscapes, and huge anthemic choruses and orchestration. Contrast that to the much more downbeat Ghost Stories, with stripped-back instrumentation (for the most part), acoustic numbers, and delicate piano. Granted, AHFOD is a sort-of retread of Mylo but with worse lyrics, worse production and less ambition, but then Everyday Life which doesn't even have a signature sound. Jazz rock? Folk? Gospel? Post Britpop? Classic Coldplay? Christian Hymns? Even MOTS has a prog rock song in Coloratura, an upbeat pop number in MU, an almost completely acapella song in Human Heart, angry "metal" in POTP and the 80's inspired dance-pop Higher Power? 

Structure - Granted, they've never experimented with their structures in ANY album except for Viva - but cmon, Coloratura? You don't call that experimental in structure? Here's a few of their songs which have no choruses, weird choruses where the length and structure vary, or instrumental choruses, since you said "all" songs: Church, Champion of the World, Midnight, Up With the Birds, Kaleidoscope, Bani Adam, Arabesque, A Sky Full of Stars, UFO, People of the Pride, BrokEn, When I Need a Friend, Always in My Head, Oceans, Fly On, All Your Friends.

1 hour ago, ToniMoreno said:

Chris also said after AHFOD that they wouldnt do more conventional albums and now we get this LP full of collaborations and radio-pop singles, so... xD

Pretty sure Chris is kidding, because EL is also a conventional album? Also EL had collaborations, albeit the more organic kind, but are Jacob Collier and We Are KING collaborating for pop streaming numbers? We haven't even heard the entire LSG song so calm down there. We don't know if it's full of radio-pop singles, because why? Oh, that's right, the album isn't out yet. 

I agree with the other stuff as it's your opinion, though. Can't argue with how you feel about the band's creative direction, although I might feel different.

6 minutes ago, jcfromparis said:

I'm crazy, I ordered 5 different copies of this album. Never did that before...

I'll probably end the era broke. Bought a hoodie, the infinity station vinyl, a cassette tape, and a recycled vinyl.

It's my first time buying their merch though, so I'm quite happy about it.

• Like 2

• Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion