Jiminy Cricket

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

What do we think of the new single? I'm really liking it.

I was a bit iffy when I heard they were ditching the banjos but so far so good. From the first single, their style of music is still retained - just a little bit more edgier, darker. So I think the third album will be quite good.

Can't wait!

I think it is an alright song! Definitely reminiscent of Coldplay and X&Y era to me. I am excited for the less anthemic, more alternative natured songs, which are usually my favorite by these guys. Believe is okay, but really is just a a differently produced, electronic guitar version of their typical formula in my opinion.

These guys are freak musicians, Marcus Mumford apparently can play a mean drumset, so I hope that they actually make some gritty rock and roll on their album! I am excited to hear it. Definitely needed to mix their sound up since Babel felt kind of repetitive of their first brilliant album.

Agreed. I think Believe sounds like a song where they replace their banjos with guitars. LOL.

These guys are freak musicians, Marcus Mumford apparently can play a mean drumset,

Yes he can. He's usually playing the drums when they do Lovers of the Light live.

• 4 weeks later...

ehhhhhhhhhhh. "The Wolf" is ehhhhh. For me, adding electronic instruments with a little bit of fuzz doesn't "redifine your sound." This song played acoustic would sound literally identical to their previous albums which in my opinion doesn't make it very exciting. It is okay I guess, but it is mostly really formulaic. Really straight forward, safe rock song. It doesn't make me want to jump around energetically like their old stuff. Honestly the electric guitar and live drumming make this song more monotonous if anything.

I still like Believe more. Has more of a climactic build and I think the guitar solo in the middle is really cool. Still can't wait to hear the whole album though. I am sure there will be some killer tracks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You think Believe sounds like Coldplay?.. Listen to the new single Hot Gates! It's awesome... :)

I personally dont think so. Mumford and Sons are being themselves and vice versa. I gotta say that Believe is unbelievably good and the lyrics video is purely awesome. Always on repeat everyday.

Just listened to the new album and extremely disappointed. There are some really solid tracks but for the most part I had a hard time paying attention...really dull rock and roll formula. Most tracks felt like formulaic filler. I am a big fan of these fella's first few albums and their energy. I love actual folk and bluegrass, and I think they represented the genre decently in the pop world, but this new album sounds like The National and Arcade Fire without any grit or creativity. Blech. It just sounds like their last two records with electric instruments and half the soul. Really like some tracks though, don't want to take it all away from them, but surprised that it is getting positive reviews across the board.

Just listened to the new album and extremely disappointed. There are some really solid tracks but for the most part I had a hard time paying attention...really dull rock and roll formula. Most tracks felt like formulaic filler. I am a big fan of these fella's first few albums and their energy. I love actual folk and bluegrass, and I think they represented the genre decently in the pop world, but this new album sounds like The National and Arcade Fire without any grit or creativity. Blech. It just sounds like their last two records with electric instruments and half the soul. Really like some tracks though, don't want to take it all away from them, but surprised that it is getting positive reviews across the board.

I dont even know if I believe..

[emoji14]

Agreed! I'm a huge fan of these boys but I'm extremely disappointed with this album. :(

I think I only like two song on this album (Wilder Mind and Monster). Everything else is pretty meh. This album shows they can't do rock properly. They should stick with folk. It suits Marcus' voice more. He sounds horribly in most of the songs. It doesn't go well with the sound of the album.

I'm happy they ditched the banjo. I liked a few of their songs but too much banjo! Their sound seems more developed now and they are a more complete band imo. 'Believe' and 'The Wolf' are my favourites atm. It's not a standout album though, I do need to give it some more listens but it is quite consistent.

• 4 weeks later...

Love the new album, there aren't riffs and really developed intrumentantion, but the songs are full of baeutiful melodies. Its not perfect, there some tracks that sound like fillers (Cold Arms and Mosters), but overall its better than Babel. The formula of the songs is pretty much the same of previous albuns, the just managed to keep it fresh with electric guitars, drums and background synths.

In the end it's all about great songwriting, really.