princesanji

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going through channels and I saw Paradise on "Nickelodeon HITS" :|

Please stop making kids music, Coldplay, for LP6 :|

Kids music where? I don't see or hear any kids music being played. So if a song gets played on a kids channel it automatically makes it a kids song? :rolleyes:

^Well, it means that kids are quite prone to like it at the first listening. :|

What I mean is: Politik isn't a kids song, it's powerful and heavy and emotional. I'd like to hear something like that again.

Paradise maybe like that, but to kids too, which makes me think it's not that powerful or heavy or emotional if you know what I mean sorry if i don't make sense.

What I mean is: Politik isn't a kids song, it's powerful and heavy and emotional. I'd like to hear something like that again.

Paradise maybe like that, but to kids too, which makes me think it's not that powerful or heavy or emotional if you know what I mean sorry if i don't make sense.

Well some kids might like Politik also. They moved into a new direction, I wouldn't say it's kid's music. I don't even know what is classified as kid music. I didn't mean to offend you. Politik is indeed powerful and emotional. But so is Charlie Brown, Major Minus, DLIBY<3 and Up With The Birds, just to name a few. Am I making any sense now? :laugh3:

^ Politik is a lot darker. It would be great to see them return to something a bit darker. They've been to a really colourful and bright place, and that's great, but it would be interesting to see how a huge stadium show would be like with darker stuff than MX. They'll definitely take into account MX for their next tour, and with VLV and all their show will stay colourful of course,which is why I guess they could, now, go back to something a bit darker. They've got such a diverse catalogue, they could do anything, of course - including darker songs than on MX.

Well some kids might like Politik also. They moved into a new direction, I wouldn't say it's kid's music. I don't even know what is classified as kid music. I didn't mean to offend you. Politik is indeed powerful and emotional. But so is Charlie Brown, Major Minus, DLIBY<3 and Up With The Birds, just to name a few. Am I making any sense now? :laugh3:

I am 15 years old and Politik is one of my favorites :) Still I love MX, but AROBTTH is my favorite.

It is all about the feel some-one is getting when hearing a song. My son is 9 and he loves Coldplay for all his life, where his classmates go for Justin B :D

My son does not speak English (just a little maybe) so he does not understand the lyrics. He loves the melodys, the insturments, the rhythms. He just say: "the music is beautifull". Simpy as that.

He is starting to play guitar and piano; he is inspired to make music - or whatever I can name his tryings ;)

I think it is great that so many people -young ánd older- can love the music of Coldplay.

I just hope what they do next is balanced. I think MX the album is balanced, but the way it got represented in the singles and live favoured the "happy" songs by a lot.

The thing about Politik, to follow that specific example, is that not only is its themery heavy, its musical style is also heavy. Which certain people might argue makes it have less mass appeal compared to a synth heavy track like Paradise which is not only more sing-along-friendly, its more time-relevant stylistically since that's the kind of stuff "we" like to listen to nowadays.

That said, I think Coldplay is certainly smart enough to make something that encompasses both sides of this spectrum, both on the album and song level. In fact, that's indeed what they've been doing on the last two albums - even the happiest of the happy songs have pretty dark undertones in terms of where they come from: Hurts Like Heaven is about oppression, Charlie Brown is about a gang (sort of), ETIAW is about oppression too.

A stylistic return to some of the dark stuff would be cool though. We had Major Minus and Moving to Mars as being the most reminiscent of AROBTTH; I'd definitely want more of that.

Another thing - as posters above said, MORE BASS. I think every member of the band is coming out of their shell [as they said literally about Jonny] with their instrumentation. Which I hope will mean two things - continuance of their musically engaging material (HLH has SO MANY notes in the guitar solo, which is refreshing compared to Coldplay's early material), and less use of backing tracks. I think it's kind of telling that tracks like GPASYUF don't actually have backing tracks - because the band is working full time to make stuff loud without having to use too much extra junk. Same goes for Everything's Not Lost, Yellow, Life is For Living, Amsterdam; DAAHF and DLIBYH [well, there's a couple of backing track things that are subtle on these two].

That said, I think Coldplay is certainly smart enough to make something that encompasses both sides of this spectrum, both on the album and song level. In fact, that's indeed what they've been doing on the last two albums - even the happiest of the happy songs have pretty dark undertones in terms of where they come from: Hurts Like Heaven is about oppression, Charlie Brown is about a gang (sort of), ETIAW is about oppression too.

A stylistic return to some of the dark stuff would be cool though. We had Major Minus and Moving to Mars as being the most reminiscent of AROBTTH; I'd definitely want more of that.

Another thing - as posters above said, MORE BASS. I think every member of the band is coming out of their shell [as they said literally about Jonny] with their instrumentation. Which I hope will mean two things - continuance of their musically engaging material (HLH has SO MANY notes in the guitar solo, which is refreshing compared to Coldplay's early material), and less use of backing tracks. I think it's kind of telling that tracks like GPASYUF don't actually have backing tracks - because the band is working full time to make stuff loud without having to use too much extra junk. Same goes for Everything's Not Lost, Yellow, Life is For Living, Amsterdam; DAAHF and DLIBYH [well, there's a couple of backing track things that are subtle on these two].

:nod::nod::nod:

I see Mylo Xyloto as an amazing album in many ways. The concept album and the story behind it may sound childish but if you think about it, it's like writing a book. It's an adventure. It seems some people want songs to sound deep, lyrically speaking, but they don't have to be to send a message. Look at Paradise, the lyrics are simple, it's an energetic song. I'm not saying the other songs on previous albums aren't energetic but this album is like that pink energizer bunny that never stops. It's fun, creative and full of energy. I'm sure we can expect that from LP6.

I think something everyone can agree to is that bad experiences can lead to great songs. Whether it be politics, personal things, social issues... These things lead to the best songs. Happy experiences can lead into songs too, but often they are more likely to be cute and cuddly, but boring as it gets older with the listener. Take paradise. First song I listen to of Coldplay. From my perspective, Coldplay was a pop band. I know differently now, but I enjoyed para para paradise. Now I hate it. I hate Charlie brown too. These song are hard to relate too. I mean, who hasn't related to the scientist, clocks (if you understand what the song is about), Trouble, Shiver and I can go on. I related with paradise for a few listens. It brought me happiness too, for a while, but eventually the lyrics became boring. It didn't relate to it because it wasn't about the listener. It was about a girl who dreamed of paradise.

I wondered why Mylo got average critic ratings, and I realized that it that it was lacking a key ingredient to every amazing Coldplay album (Viva, A rush...). That ingredient is darkness. What made A rush of blood to the head so good? The sad songs were relatable. In parachutes, shiver, don't panic, trouble are all amazing cp song that are sad. Viva la Vida, violet hill, 42... Pretty mich every song but strawberry swing (which was amazing because the lyrics were so damn good) was sad. X&Y was an average album because it lacked much emotion. Emotion is what makes greatness in music. Happy emotions aren't as emotional as the bad ones. I know a lot of people love MX, but keep this in mind, when you drop your groceries, do you remember the man who picks it up for you or the man who snatches it and runs?

That's why LP6 needs to be dark. It can be electronic, folk, rock, country, acoustic, and matters not. What matters is the depth of it and how much the impact of the emotion.

Okay I'm done my rant.

I think something everyone can agree to is that bad experiences can lead to great songs. Whether it be politics, personal things, social issues... These things lead to the best songs. Happy experiences can lead into songs too, but often they are more likely to be cute and cuddly, but boring as it gets older with the listener. Take paradise. First song I listen to of Coldplay. From my perspective, Coldplay was a pop band. I know differently now, but I enjoyed para para paradise. Now I hate it. I hate Charlie brown too. These song are hard to relate too. I mean, who hasn't related to the scientist, clocks (if you understand what the song is about), Trouble, Shiver and I can go on. I related with paradise for a few listens. It brought me happiness too, for a while, but eventually the lyrics became boring. It didn't relate to it because it wasn't about the listener. It was about a girl who dreamed of paradise.

I wondered why Mylo got average critic ratings, and I realized that it that it was lacking a key ingredient to every amazing Coldplay album (Viva, A rush...). That ingredient is darkness. What made A rush of blood to the head so good? The sad songs were relatable. In parachutes, shiver, don't panic, trouble are all amazing cp song that are sad. Viva la Vida, violet hill, 42... Pretty mich every song but strawberry swing (which was amazing because the lyrics were so damn good) was sad. X&Y was an average album because it lacked much emotion. Emotion is what makes greatness in music. Happy emotions aren't as emotional as the bad ones. I know a lot of people love MX, but keep this in mind, when you drop your groceries, do you remember the man who picks it up for you or the man who snatches it and runs?

That's why LP6 needs to be dark. It can be electronic, folk, rock, country, acoustic, and matters not. What matters is the depth of it and how much the impact of the emotion.

Okay I'm done my rant.

I disagree!! Songs like A message, Til Kingdom Come, Fix you or even the cheesy Swallowed in the sea are *quite* emotional. This album is really easy to relate to, which is why it made them so huge I think. I honestly can relate to most of the songs on X&Y, and lot of people here will agree. If it was an average album, that's not because it lacked emotion imo. If people said it was an average album, I think it's because it may have felt like they didn't put that much effort into making new music, but just did what people expected them to do without really going further. What people expect them to do: soft rock and songs that makes you weep. Done. It's just that they didn't really evolve with X&Y.

I disagree!! Songs like A message, Til Kingdom Come, Fix you or even the cheesy Swallowed in the sea are *quite* emotional. This album is really easy to relate to, which is why it made them so huge I think. I honestly can relate to most of the songs on X&Y, and lot of people here will agree. If it was an average album, that's not because it lacked emotion imo. If people said it was an average album, I think it's because it may have felt like they didn't put that much effort into making new music, but just did what people expected them to do without really going further. What people expect them to do: soft rock and songs that makes you weep. Done. It's just that they didn't really evolve with X&Y.

You're probably right:D I guess I didn't really relate to it, or was emotionally impacted by it. It's not like it was the worst album ever, but I do think they can do better. Even if they continue in this direction, songs like HLH are plain amazing. That's one song I listen to all the time. We all have opinions anyways. I think one thing we can all agree on is that LP6 is going to stunning. I really think so.