✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think of the new song 'Paradise'?

rainplay

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm forcing myself to at least like the songs but no luck.

Why? If you don't like it, you don't like it. "Forcing" oneself to like anything isn't genuinely liking something, anyway.

Also, everything on TKOL > Paradise. And I was a big critic of TKOL.

Absolutely. :nod:

But seriously. It's alright. Just very bland compared to IR.

But I'm a weird Radiohead fan. I think Hail to the Thief is the best Radiohead album by miles.

1. I agree.

2. HTTT is my favorite Radiohead album, too! High-five! :awesome:

I've just listened to it properly for the first time (Wasn't really paying attention when I listened to it a few days ago).

It's not off the scale horrible, but it's pretty bad, I'd say maybe straight down the line 5/10, but I just read someone on the first pages post who said they were 'satisfied' with the song, and being 'satisfied' they felt warranted a 9/10, so to balance up the negative end I gave it a 3.

You stooge.

I've just listened to it properly for the first time (Wasn't really paying attention when I listened to it a few days ago).

It's not off the scale horrible, but it's pretty bad, I'd say maybe straight down the line 5/10, but I just read someone on the first pages post who said they were 'satisfied' with the song, and being 'satisfied' they felt warranted a 9/10, so to balance up the negative end I gave it a 3.

You stooge.

It wouldn't be so bad if Coldplay had been doing pop music their whole life.

But Paradise sounds like a bad attempt at a boy band one-hit wonder song imo. (why anyone would want to try for that I don't know)

Well, I am not sure yet so I gave a 6. It's not a bad song and I suspect it will grow on me. But from first listening it does not stand out to me.

Then again, I did not care much about "Lost" at first but I like the way it fits into the album. I usually much prefer listening to a complete album anyway than individual songs. I think that's one of the reasons I am a fan of Coldplay as they are putting so much thought into the way they put together the songs and for me their albums work just beautifully.

So I will wait with my final judgement till october.

Absolutely loved the studio version. I didn't vote 10 cause I never do but I voted 9. THOSE STRINGS! And the way bass & drums appear through the song, the vocals, the electric vibe... Amazing to me. So sorry there are people who don't like it, I hope it will grow.

But I really hate the comments that said there was 'no work' or something like that. You might not like the song, but this is almost disrespectful.

Exactly my sentiments! Although I do think the overuse of "para-para-paradise" can get a tad bit annoying the music itself is absolutely beautiful! I cannot wait for the instrumental.

Let's say I've basically been on another planet since Monday morning. I've only heard the song today, along with the Rihanna announcement and the live recording of Up In Flames. The cocktail of these things didn't taste too good.

Paradise is a weird song. I told myself to never listen to it again after two listens but then it seemed to grow on me for some reason. I know why: it's a catchy (slightly above) mediocre pop song. The kind of song the DJs play at parties, which I may like, but not too much. The ohohohs starting at 2:30 and the string parts sound awkwardly familiar and boringly embarassing. It's like they're trying to get hit material only using the cheap tricks they started to use in Viva La Vida (song). The songs overall sounds artificial and polished. Everything they do now is contradictory to what made me a fan in the first place. Coldplay should be way ahead of this. Or rather, they used to be. Now they're just blindly falling for simple (as opposed to intelligent) hit music.

This is highlighted by the Rihanna collaboration. If they needed a female antagonist for POC, why not a less known talented singer (shouldn't be too hard to find) instead of a poular "big" superstar? Why not a less known genuinely great singer that deserves to be in the spotlight? This cash-filling collab thing I've always been opposed to (really tired of all the "featurings" popping up (pun not intended) in pop music) is driving me nuts. It's really embarrassing.

For the record, Up In Flames starts promising, but the chorus (Up in flaaaaames falsetto X 1337) is making me feel bad in my stomach, I really don't like hearing it. Too bad, could have been a great song without the chorus (in my opinion). Reminds me a lot of Life Is For Living, great instrumental finale.

But what I'm trying to say, today is the day I don't like what Coldplay do anymore. I listened through AROBTTH and I loved it even more than ever. They're wasting their time and reputation with what they're doing. ETIAW, Paradise, ... They're way too good for songs like that! I'll always love old Coldplay but today is where I draw the line. I doubt they will come back to what they were (a widely respected, humble, edgy alternative band - by far best band in the world - that wrote genius songs giving me shivers all over, using music instruments and with a sound no one could copy). Because now they are just a band expeimenting with cheap stuff that gives instant access to hit lists. And I'm afraid they can't get back. They'll keep following this direction.

This gives me some kind of identity crisis. I'm a Coldplay fan, yet I strongly dislike what people will nowadays associate with Coldplay. And Coldplay is one of the things that define my personality. I'll always have to specify what kind of Coldplay I like. People will not understand. Some people refuse to check out great obscure less popular songs I try to provide, because they're blinded by the image Coldplay gives themselves by releasing these crappy singles. because of this, being a fan kind of embarrasses me. Know what I mean? Don't get me wrong, I will definitely buy the album, and I will keep following them close by, as a concerned fan. I wish them the best of luck with their new fans (the teeny party commercial public). I hope they realise that this is not their full potential. Give me real, don't give me fake, Coldplay. Open up your eyes. And see you soon.

Note: I'd like this to be part of the "new direction" discussion in the news section of Coldplaying. Is that possible?

I listened to it 3 times when it came out, and in the end I just felt one. Big."Meh." I've not had the desire to go back to it since.

I never thought I'd be one to say "I miss the old Coldplay," but this song is so completely cookie-cutter. In this 'experimentation' it's like they've lost their identity - a reinvention gone wrong. Tryptophan sums it up pretty well. Not gonna make assumptions about the whole album because of Paradise, but I hope none of the other songs sound like this. :(