✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The PROS & CONS of "Princess of China" (plus 1-10 sliding poll)

SonnyIanni

The only con I can find is that I believe Chris should have done the "Princess/King" verse. "You could have been a princess, I'd be your king" sounds more like what the guy would say. I know Rihanna say's "I could have been your princess" but the rest sounds like she's saying "I'd be your king" not "you'd be my king".

But over all, I really enjoyed the song.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel bad for the people who don't like any of the new songs... It keeps getting worse for them lol

Good news is, for those fans, they appreciate every teardrop more now haha

I initially didn't like Every Teardrop, but since it was released, I feel the songs released keep getting better.

I like it because..

1.) Rhianna. She has a voice. You cannot deny that.

2.) The 'lalalalala' part. Chris and Rhianna's voice go together amazingly.

3.) The bass. I love house and electonica music, so I am a guy who likes some bass.

4.) Its different than anything they have ever done.

There is one con, I have not heard it in the context of the album

I will go as far as to say that this song will define Coldplay's career...

20110128203738!Trollface.png

I do like the song, fo real. It's nice to see Coldplay using different song structure, the only song with a full chorus so far seems to be paradise, and even that's a bit of a stretch as far as choruses go.

Guest howyousawtheworld

A couple of reviews for this song I've read. Couple are creaming themselves with one saying it's one of the songs of the year. Even prefixmag who are usually quite critical of Coldplay like it.

Pro:

-There is a nice mandolin in the background when Rhianna starts singing.

Con:

-Rhianna drowns out the mandolin.

-At the end of the second verse, it would be nice if Rhianna sang the full line of the lyrics.

instead of 'Throw it in my face' she sings 'throw it in my fa-'

this is bugging me massively.

@Skin&Bones - are you SERIOUS? I'm on my 2nd listen and I still don't like it. Where's the bass? where's that "umph" that the live version had?

This blows.

What do you mean "where's the bass?"

My headphones almost exploded.

Pros:

- If I printed out the lyrics on some toilet paper and then sold that toilet paper to everyone, it would be a really nice thing for people to wipe their asses with.

Cons:

- Uninteresting synths, buried usage of actual instruments, lazy lyrics with a bunch of "ooooh oooooh oooooh laaaa laaaa laaaa" parts, and it feels more like Rihanna feat. Chris Martin rather than a Coldplay song. I honestly think I hate this song more than Paradise and it's nearly as bad as ETIAW.

Pro:

- Catchy Chorus

- Radio Hit

- Synth and Bass

Cons:

- Chorus only used once

- Second half of the song had too many "lalalas..etc" not enough lyrics

- Feels like a Rihanna ft. Coldplay record

Overall: (7-7.5)/10...depending on how the studio version compares

Also, side note:

I have nothing against Rihanna (don't like her but don't hate her)...but something irked me about her twitter message:

"@MigodATRL I am HONORED!!! Especially since its the first feature in the histoRih of Coldplay albums!!!"

I'm glad she mentioned Coldplay and thanked them, but they way she purposely changed history to histoRih just irked me, but meh

-At the end of the second verse, it would be nice if Rhianna sang the full line of the lyrics.

instead of 'Throw it in my face' she sings 'throw it in my fa-'

this is bugging me massively.

I thought the line was "throw it in the flame". That's just what I heard.

@Skin&Bones - are you SERIOUS? I'm on my 2nd listen and I still don't like it. Where's the bass? where's that "umph" that the live version had?

This blows.

I don't know! It's just so amazing to me! The layers of crackling synth at the beginning, the synth-scream, then the bassy boom with Chris's voice. It's a swirling pink wave of nighttime fluorescent sound against a background of high-tech architecture. If that doesn't make sense, it probably shouldn't because that's just the imagery it evokes with me, personally.

It's structure -- although disguised as exhibitionist sonic ear-candy -- is subtly ingenious. The chord changes so natural it's hard to distinguish when they actually happen. Speaking of exhibitionist, I think that's why Rihanna fits so swimmingly into it (in my opinion). It's perfect. It's not trying to be amazing because it knows it's amazing. The production isn't as pop-y as Paradise or ETIAW sounds, yet it's probably their pop-iest song yet.

This is all my opinion of course. I think it's glorious, but it's so simple. Paradise and ETIAW pale in comparison as singles to this work of pure awesomeness!! :D

Pros:

- If I printed out the lyrics on some toilet paper and then sold that toilet paper to everyone, it would be a really nice thing for people to wipe their asses with.

Cons:

- Uninteresting synths, buried usage of actual instruments, lazy lyrics with a bunch of "ooooh oooooh oooooh laaaa laaaa laaaa" parts, and it feels more like Rihanna feat. Chris Martin rather than a Coldplay song. I honestly think I hate this song more than Paradise and it's nearly as bad as ETIAW.

This is an example of what negative criticism should be.

Constructive. Explained why. And hilarious.

It's good, but doesn't have replay value.

By that I mean, for the next 4-5 months I will like it and listen to it.....but 5-6 years from now, I'm not going to care for it.

Songs like Yellow, The Scientist, and even from what I heard from Charlie Brown....I can see myself listening to these songs for the rest of my life

It's a good song, a chart hit, but not a great song.

7/10 [2]

yeah, thats the perfect review

I don't know! It's just so amazing to me! The layers of crackling synth at the beginning, the synth-scream, then the bassy boom with Chris's voice. It's a swirling pink wave of nighttime fluorescent sound against a background of high-tech architecture. If that doesn't make sense, it probably shouldn't because that's just the imagery it evokes with me, personally.

It's structure -- although disguised as exhibitionist sonic ear-candy -- is subtly ingenious. The chord changes so natural it's hard to distinguish when they actually happen. Speaking of exhibitionist, I think that's why Rihanna fits so swimmingly into it (in my opinion). It's perfect. It's not trying to be amazing because it knows it's amazing. The production isn't as pop-y as Paradise or ETIAW sounds, yet it's probably their pop-iest song yet.

This is all my opinion of course. I think it's glorious, but it's so simple. Paradise and ETIAW pale in comparison as singles to this work of pure awesomeness!! :D

THIS! great way of putting it :)