✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris Martin on Zane Lowe (28-04-2014) - 8pm on BBCR1

Captain Crieff

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From listening to this interview, I learned something new about Chris Martin. We look at "stars" and perceive them as if they are bullet proof, and maybe they don't suffer from the same feelings that we "normal" people do. One thinks, well hey, Chris Martin is one of the biggest musical stars in the world today and is worth multi-millions, what problems could he possibly have? Sure, he isn't living pay-check to pay-check, or does he ever really need to worry about financials in his life again, but the guy still has immense issues in his own personal life. Sometimes I get the feeling we forget that these stars are still just people, and I've listened to a lot of Martin interviews, and never has he seemed as vulnerable as he did there. You just don't see or hear that kind of thing often from people that high profile.

yeah i dont get that bit either, but i guess for the video it looks abit messy if he turned around and carried on (if he did) if you get what i mean, so they may have cut it for that reason... but it would be interesting to know why it was cut, because although it was a comfortable topic, he did feel comfortable answering it to Zane, because im sure in the past he would have asked for them to stop asking personal questions etc etc and Zane even said "only if your comfortable"

Yeah, ok that could be some explanation, that they don't want the interview scene to look messy when the camera shows how many other people are actually in the room with them, then the private atmosphere would be destroyed somehow.

But still, I agree with you, the part is interesting because we can only speculate about the actual reasons for creating some differences between audio and video version of the whole interview. Or was just to raise attention and get some more viewers who heard it first and then wanted to watch the video also? :thinking:

My guess is that he asked for Phil cause he probably feels better having someone thats so close to him there while talking about something so painful for him. Idk just my thoughts.

That would be understandable, yes. Interesting though why it was Phil and not anybody else from the band but maybe just because only Phil joined him for that interview. ^^

So touching. Very intense song... Whoever watched this interview will never hear 'O' the way the others will...

And I suspect that only real fans watch an hour long interview, so the masses will not know of the real meaning behind the song....apart from people who follow the media that might write about it.

So touching. Very intense song... Whoever watched this interview will never hear 'O' the way the others will...

And I suspect that only real fans watch an hour long interview, so the masses will not know of the real meaning behind the song....apart from people who follow the media that might write about it.

Other people will think "Oh yeah that song is really nice"

while we are like

"OHMAGAW CHRIS come here you're not alone you poor soul!!1´:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:" and have this whole mumbo jumbo of emotional stuff attached to it.

yeah this interview was a pain to watch. It felt like watching someone cutting himself for an entire hour :freak:

aw my, I really feel for him... for her... everything..he seems like a man man that genuinely loves his family. I really think he hopes he can get to the place that they can be together again.. He seems like he has some work to do on himself and so far hes doing great , hes never been that emotional ( i know it was very little but for him it was ALOT lol ) in an interview he usually just brushes everything off , but he seems to be making steps to improve for his personal relationships . I really look forward to hearing this album it just haves so much meaning , how can it not pull on your heart strings!

Typically in "hollywood" separations it seems that its about the people not wanting to be together any more this instead seems to be about two ppl who do want to be together but cant be toegther in a relationship right now. Ive said it before and Ill say it again just to say I called it lol They will be together again in that manner who knows when but I feel this guy is gonna rally shine in the moments to come. On a lighter note this music is so touching :)

I really hope the band will collaborate with Kanye one day, both evolved so much since "homecoming" He probably wouldn't fit Coldplay's album but I'd love to hear Chris or the whole band on Kanye's new record.

Wow....that was very, very painful for me to watch. A lot of the things he said (specifically "don't let go", and the parts about people killing themselves and going down the wrong path) really got to me because of things I'm going through right now.....I really empathize with him. I will definitely never listen to O the same as I would if I hadn't watched this.

Wait. The part where he gets emotional hearing "o" is still in the video. But you're right the part where he says "where's Phil?" is cut out. I thought that all happened at the same time. When and why did he say "where's Phil?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can relate so much to what Chris said, its really so emotional, the parts about being not as vulnerable as he should be and opening up to love and about Ghost Stories being about letting go of the past and moving on and not letting previous experiences damage your present. It was so moving and great advice to which I will learn from and act upon too and I hope others do too and there's gotta be more love and positivity in the world!

Chris also refers to the 'English in me' or 'Being English...' a lot in terms of less openness and the 'English anxiety', he mentions it an awful lot. Obviously every culture has its negatives and Chris obviously feels a bit held back by the mindset he was perhaps brought up around and remember the live 2012 documentary when he also stated about 'not feeling guilty about enjoying ourselves' refering to their English upbringing. Its something I do agree about with Chris, but would be interesting to see the other Coldplayers think, especially other English people.

Who is that guy he talked about that collaborated with a sound at the end of "O", and he said that they worked on a track that was too upbeat for this album? Thanks!

Madeon, young French producer/DJ, really like 18 years old or something

As far as I know he got famous by his supercool "Pop Culture Remix" on YouTube which features a bit of Viva as well I think

He's done some solo singles (Icarus, Finale) and worked with Lady Gaga on a song on her last album I think

Madeon, young French producer/DJ, really like 18 years old or something

As far as I know he got famous by his supercool "Pop Culture Remix" on YouTube which features a bit of Viva as well I think

He's done some solo singles (Icarus, Finale) and worked with Lady Gaga on a song on her last album I think

Huge thanks!

Wait. The part where he gets emotional hearing "o" is still in the video. But you're right the part where he says "where's Phil?" is cut out. I thought that all happened at the same time. When and why did he say "where's Phil?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the video in part 4 around then was definitely cut. there's a jump.

Wow....that was very, very painful for me to watch. A lot of the things he said (specifically "don't let go", and the parts about people killing themselves and going down the wrong path) really got to me because of things I'm going through right now.....I really empathize with him. I will definitely never listen to O the same as I would if I hadn't watched this.

Yea I noticed Chris was pausing himself a bit when listening to the song, and (Idk maybe it was just my assumption), when the camera shot at him that close to his eyes, he kinda began to shed into tears a bit. He made me think he was gonna cry cause the song was emotional.. and from the song record he really sang from his personal experience which was what he felt during the time.

Why?

His way of interviewing just bothered me a bit. Ofcourse this is my opinion, but he tries so hard to appear "cool" and "funny" and he was either sucking up to Chris or asking lame questions. It's still nice to get some more background on the album, I just think Zane Lowe is too present.

This interview was great! It really helped me actually. Listening to Chris talk about dealing with things that life throws at you but that we should try to work through it. We are meant to learn something from these difficult experiences. I know he is going through a really hard time, and he really helped me feel better today. I've been dealing with so much stress, and I just LOVE that Coldplay has always been there for me. I can't wait to have the entire album in my hands, I already love Ghost Stories so much :heart:

I often see Chris joking around or change the subject. He even left the interview once.

I listened Chris doing an interview with Zane Lowe many times. He's the only one who can drag Chris back to the subject. Because they've known each other for long time. I think Zane is the only person who can make Chris open up this much in the interview.