✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

My opinion:

Miracles is awful.

I don't just want rock Coldplay back, I want good Coldplay back. Y'know - the ones who put Clocks, The Scientist and Politik on one album, rather than having songs like O and Midnight be highlights. They were better at pop-rock than they are at rock-pop and it's hard to take them seriously as a great band when they're releasing songs like True Love, A Sky Full of Stars and Miracles as singles. I'm all for forward thinking and growth, but that doesn't just mean changing styles - it means adding depth, meaning and variety to your work. Just because it sounds different doesn't mean it's a step forward, just because it's similar to what you've done before doesn't make it a step backwards. I don't want AROBTTH, but I want the Coldplay who made it. I guess I just don't want them to actually become all the things they've wrongly been considered in the past - MOR, boring, bland, light-weight soft rockers trying too hard to be something they're not.

If stargate are the producers (still a sizeable if at this point) then that's disappointing but hopefully it's just for a song or two and they don't come up with anything like their previous work. At the end of the day Coldplay are still writing the songs, so a classic album is always a possibility.

I remain falteringly unconfident.

Miracles is better than midnight and a sky full of stars. With mx and gs, they took two steps back. I hope with this album, they'll take two steps forward with production that's great, something new and exciting, like viva was. Not bland and no sugary pop.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been avoiding reading this thread, because all those "predictions" of how the album is going to sound is only wishfull thinking and nothing concrete for me.

And today I notice that there are so many updates, so I must have missed a Coldplay anouncement ?! :confused:

Nope, OK, back to avoiding then.

I surely hope they get us out of this misery soon. :)

I would've updated the Facts thread if anything was worth mentioning ;)

It is 99% certain guys (The 1% being Chris not stating Stargate's name :P), after I weighed up the facts and sources to get to that conclusion. Unless it comes from the horses mouth (i.e the band), it's always about assessing (as a news site) what you see and basing your wording on the probability or choosing not to post if it's not reliable enough. Of course there's always a very small chance of being told the wrong info and the sources are a dud but that's the nature of posting news :)

And probability wise, that Miracles / Sky advert news was 80% likely. It was convincing and many sites decided to report on it. They chose a level of probability they were comfortable with and got it out there and on that occasion it wasn't correct. Those things happen, it is what is and the majority of the time, most Coldplay fansites are spot on and are great with what they report, to keep other fans in the loop :)

The fact that Chris mentions Norwegian producers, as a plural, rules out Magne from Apparatjik, with no apparent alternatives, unless someone would like to put forward another group of Norwegian producers you know of? It's been mentioned before that Stargate have been working with Coldplay but I think most of us fansites haven't picked up on it.

Skepticism happens, as the production group is not to everyone's taste. Hopefully there will be some footage or interviews before the album to shed some more light on the musical direction :D

I would've updated the Facts thread if anything was worth mentioning ;)

OK, I've found the FACTS thread. ;) And added it to my favorites.

I was following the Latest News in the App and this thread seemed to be very 'hot'. :D

Must agree, my curiosity levels are peaked with the thought of what else could Coldplay try, how else will they deliver us good hooks and melodies..

When I really I fell in love with Coldplay was Viva, when they experimented with odd time signatures, odd structures, and even had an instrumental opener.. These things made me think they were pushing the pop boundaries and left me thirsty for more. I wanted them to take it further on the next one, but then MX came by and was mostly pop. Nothing against it, I also ended loving the album for what it is. Then Midnight was released and my jaw dropped in excitement, thinking they'd finally gone beyond pop, transcended beyond their usual instruments and opened the doors of experimentation beyond Eno, and it was actually a bit of let down to find that GS was also mainly pop, a more mellow, non-surprising pop... My point is, I don't care if AHFOD is pop, they naturally have a pop sensibility. I just wish they blended their pop beyond what's already out there. All I hope for is that whoever the real producers are, instead of blending Coldplay with what's already been done, are pushing for a sweet merge of styles for a greater sound beyond an Avicii song.

I agree but I am an ever-vigilant defender of MX. Most of what you said about Viva actually does apply to MX but MX just happens to push boundaries in a direction more easily labelled as pop. Besides not having a song with an odd time signature, MX has an instrumental opener and several tracks of unusual structure - UFO, UWTB..even Charlie Brown, ETIAW, and POC are kind of odd in that they only have one chorus. I think when you consider the juxtaposition of electronics and vocoder-backing harmonies with guitars and fast drums on HLH, that's a similar level experimentation as VLV.

I agree but I am an ever-vigilant defender of MX. Most of what you said about Viva actually does apply to MX but MX just happens to push boundaries in a direction more easily labelled as pop. Besides not having a song with an odd time signature, MX has an instrumental opener and several tracks of unusual structure - UFO, UWTB..even Charlie Brown, ETIAW, and POC are kind of odd in that they only have one chorus. I think when you consider the juxtaposition of electronics and vocoder-backing harmonies with guitars and fast drums on HLH, that's a similar level experimentation as VLV.

I totally agree, I'm also an MX defender, all I meant to point about it is how it went more poppy than where I thought they seem to be heading with Viva... Actually HLH UWTB and MM are some of my all time favorite Coldplay songs..

The over reactions *shakes head*

If Stargate is involved, it will probably be on few songs only.

One thing that I hate about this forum is people acting like Pop music is shit. Most people think Rock and Coldplay are shit, so get over yourselves.

Don't be afraid of embracing new genres. Coldplay isn't afraid of experimenting and most of the time, they deliver. Let's wait and see. It shouldn't be long now.

I totally agree, I'm also an MX defender, all I meant to point about it is how it went more poppy than where I thought they seem to be heading with Viva... Actually HLH UWTB and MM are some of my all time favorite Coldplay songs..

Don't let it break your heart, up in flames are great songs too. Those are my favorite [emoji2]

coldplayzoneit must be given credit.

They predicted Stargate's involvement on the new album a few months ago.

https://coldplaymag.wordpress.com/2015/03/07/lp7-la-posible-vuelta-al-myloxylotismo/#more-1799

They were the first one to break this and they have been very reliable in the past.

Fireworks by Katy Perry and Irreplaceable by Beyoncé are both stadium anthems. This could be gold. Fingers crossed

I need to hear something from the album, anything! The stargate development is troubling. It seems Coldplay are becoming everything they were once (wrongly) criticized for: Bland, superficial and overproduced.

The stunning lack of guitars on Ghost Stories needs to be amended (Only really hear Jonny's guitar once and even then its ruined by gratuitous synth sounds) and Stargate obviously not a great choice for this. Still as hopeful as ever, but the trend is not looking good. Reluctantly accepting that I'll be uttering the phrase "They're my favourite band, but not too keen on anything after album 4" to the end of my days :(

One thing that I hate about this forum is people acting like Pop music is shit. Most people think Rock and Coldplay are shit, so get over yourselves.

Don't be afraid of embracing new genres. Coldplay isn't afraid of experimenting and most of the time, they deliver. Let's wait and see. It shouldn't be long now.

Who has ever said rock is shit?

Pop isn't shit. Viva la vida was pop and it was brilliant. They are different types of pop music, Dream pop, rock pop, baroque pop. We'll see what direction coldplay goes. Should be great.

Maybe in this time and age we need to stop trying to categorize types of music, Pop, rock, alternative, ok ok you can put Jazz in its own little place but why do we need to put it in compartments? My stat and chart ppl are cursing me out but We all have our own individual taste, but it seems music is melding. Take Midnight, so reminded us of Bon Iver and I thought a little bit of Radiohead. Musicians are influenced by all different types of music and it reflects in their songs. Tell me 15 years ago I would like Sigur Ross or Fleet Foxes and I would say you are bat crazy. Pop is not shit and Rock is not shit, it's just not what YOU like to hear. Rock today is not the same rock as 35 years ago. Alt is not the same Alt it was 25 years ago. Coldplay is not the same band they were 15 years ago. Music evolves and changes, as do tastes. AHFOD will come out when it comes out, no will die if it does not come out tomorrow. The band knows what it is doing and when it arrives we will love it or not love it but appreciate it because it is something Coldplay has created. Isn't it why we are all here?

miracles is a very bad song, so....forgetable song, i think is more precise

My opinion:

Miracles is awful.

I don't just want rock Coldplay back, I want good Coldplay back. Y'know - the ones who put Clocks, The Scientist and Politik on one album, rather than having songs like O and Midnight be highlights. They were better at pop-rock than they are at rock-pop and it's hard to take them seriously as a great band when they're releasing songs like True Love, A Sky Full of Stars and Miracles as singles. I'm all for forward thinking and growth, but that doesn't just mean changing styles - it means adding depth, meaning and variety to your work. Just because it sounds different doesn't mean it's a step forward, just because it's similar to what you've done before doesn't make it a step backwards. I don't want AROBTTH, but I want the Coldplay who made it. I guess I just don't want them to actually become all the things they've wrongly been considered in the past - MOR, boring, bland, light-weight soft rockers trying too hard to be something they're not.

Fully agree with the stuff quoted above, couldn't have said it better. I prefer the rock sound but first and foremost, I want meaningful and deep songs back as Coldplay used to make them. Miracles, for me, is the epitome of blandness and mediocrity (within Coldplay's work - not comparing to other current music now, where far worse stuff seems abundant...)

I also wanted to say that I find such responses such as "If you want AROBTTH, then go listen to it in a lonely corner in your room" or "why being on 2015 coldplaying.com then" (paraphrasing now) as they have been made within the last pages of this thread to ov3la, very inconsiderate, to say the least. Of course we are a mixed bunch and some fans prefer the rock sound, while others prefere the pop sound and some don't care which sound. Nobody should be scorned because of what he/she likes or how he/she wishes the new Coldplay album to be.

Fully agree with the stuff quoted above, couldn't have said it better. I prefer the rock sound but first and foremost, I want meaningful and deep songs back as Coldplay used to make them. Miracles, for me, is the epitome of blandness and mediocrity (within Coldplay's work - not comparing to other current music now, where far worse stuff seems abundant...)

I also wanted to say that I find such responses such as "If you want AROBTTH, then go listen to it in a lonely corner in your room" or "why being on 2015 coldplaying.com then" (paraphrasing now) as they have been made within the last pages of this thread to ov3la, very inconsiderate, to say the least. Of course we are a mixed bunch and some fans prefer the rock sound, while others prefere the pop sound and some don't care which sound. Nobody should be scorned because of what he/she likes or how he/she wishes the new Coldplay album to be.

I never said any of those things. I would never put anyone down like that.

I didn't say you said them, I said they were said in response to you (see p.205) !!!!!!!! Please re-read my post carefully. (I didn't want to drop the name of who said it here so I put it in the passive).

Ok. That makes sense. They are some crazy coldplay fans here. Haha.

YES YES YES

But Ghost Stories is just meeeh 7 Up In Flames + 1 The Escapist and an Avicii song