✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's always a surprise with coldplay. I'm excited to see what the band does next. Coldplay doesn't make bad albums, they can't make a bad song. Sure their albums are DIFFERENT but they're not BAD by any means. I love them all. True Love for example is now in my top favorite coldplay songs ever. Davide rossi's worked on a few tracks for the band too and with added horns, it's going to be very interesting.

I liked Miracles....

Me too. Miracles is a great song. It had "real instruments" (to please all of those people), a large sound that we didn't have anywhere on Ghost Stories, and a bunch of neat production bits. If Stargate can produce a great movie soundtrack song, I'm not even worried for LP7.

MX is not a bad album, either. It's not their best but it's far from their worst. I still feel confident thinking that, had MX released after any other album besides Viva, it would have been much more respected.

I like a lot of points being made here. MX has some of Coldplay's best tracks hands down, but a few of their weakest on the tale end, especially when compared to Viva.

I don't want to judge too much either about Stargate, and I regret judging POC before it came out, but I think we are justified as well. PoC isn't shit, per se, I think it has great instrumentation and interesting production choices. Lyrically, and vocally (Rihanna drama) it is shit, but they didn't necessarily conform to pure accessible pop, like they did with Avicii on ASFOS.

My issue with Miracles is that on skeletal level the song is wonderful, it just got overproduced. Nobody would ever talk down to the beautiful piano and guitar melodies and Guy's, fun bouncy bass. Instrumentally, everything is on point. In my humble opinion, the problem arises when you get the added effects, for which I speculate, Stargate had a hand in. The guitar for example feels really synthetic... I beg you to listen to the guitar on Miracles and then the very similar style in ETIAW. Huge difference: one feeling plastic the other lively and full of gusto. Then there is the electronic drum claps, and the "woo ooo ooo ooo ooo's" in the background that are randomly thrown in. When you listen to other stargate produced tracks, the plastic guitar and cliche beat becomes familiar. Take this Stargate/Rihanna track for example with its overly clean production:

[video=youtube;nUOtFHqpRBo]

Now listen to Avicii's edit of ASFOS, which I actually really like. At around 3:00, there is an extra acoustic guitar piece that is excellent. It sounds folky, emotional, and down to earth. But then it breaks into the studio style acoustic guitar, which I would once again argue feels kind of fake and without as much soul:

[video=youtube;1J6I9V11oAY]

So that was too much of a ramble...but my point is that we all want to see real instruments, regardless of genre. My greatest concern is that they do use real instruments, but then those are overproduced and don't feel as organic. If Stargate is truly involved, then that makes me worried. They produce great tracks, but not very instrumentally rich ones. Guess it is too early to judge though :)

I think they already gave their best work with AROBTTH and VLV. I still like their newest songs (Miracles included) but to me Coldplay have past their prime. This is just my opinion.

About AHFOD, I hope they confirm something soon.

I like a lot of points being made here. MX has some of Coldplay's best tracks hands down, but a few of their weakest on the tale end, especially when compared to Viva.

I don't want to judge too much either about Stargate, and I regret judging POC before it came out, but I think we are justified as well. PoC isn't shit, per se, I think it has great instrumentation and interesting production choices. Lyrically, and vocally (Rihanna drama) it is shit, but they didn't necessarily conform to pure accessible pop, like they did with Avicii on ASFOS.

My issue with Miracles is that on skeletal level the song is wonderful, it just got overproduced. Nobody would ever talk down to the beautiful piano and guitar melodies and Guy's, fun bouncy bass. Instrumentally, everything is on point. In my humble opinion, the problem arises when you get the added effects, for which I speculate, Stargate had a hand in. The guitar for example feels really synthetic... I beg you to listen to the guitar on Miracles and then the very similar style in ETIAW. Huge difference: one feeling plastic the other lively and full of gusto. Then there is the electronic drum claps, and the "woo ooo ooo ooo ooo's" in the background that are randomly thrown in. When you listen to other stargate produced tracks, the plastic guitar and cliche beat becomes familiar. Take this Stargate/Rihanna track for example with its overly clean production:

[video=youtube;nUOtFHqpRBo]

Now listen to Avicii's edit of ASFOS, which I actually really like. At around 3:00, there is an extra acoustic guitar piece that is excellent. It sounds folky, emotional, and down to earth. But then it breaks into the studio style acoustic guitar, which I would once again argue feels kind of fake and without as much soul:

So that was too much of a ramble...but my point is that we all want to see real instruments, regardless of genre. My greatest concern is that they do use real instruments, but then those are overproduced and don't feel as organic. If Stargate is truly involved, then that makes me worried. They produce great tracks, but not very instrumentally rich ones. Guess it is too early to judge though :)

Good point. Some instruments do overlap others and sometimes it's hard to hear a real signature sound.

I'd never heard Avicii's version before. I think I actually like it more than Coldplay's version :surprised:

some people here think of coldplay as something higher than they are

i just think of them as another band like the others

just enjoy them or dont, like, all this pessimism its not worth of your time, you guys care way too much, just wait for it to get released without any assumption, without thinking "they need to surprise us" or "its going to be shit", litterally, forget about caring, you will enjoy the music a lot more

just enjoy them or dont, like, all this pessimism its not worth of your time, you guys care way too much, just wait for it to get released without any assumption, without thinking "they need to surprise us" or "its going to be shit", litterally, forget about caring, you will enjoy the music a lot more

You nailed it. Expectations basically just make you want to hear something that perhaps the band will not create. That's the lesson I learned from the GS era. The album was so different from what I thought it would be. Of course it's not bad to wish for something groundbreaking or the "back to the roots" thing but sometimes it's a lot better to just wait and let Coldplay surprise us all.

You nailed it. Expectations basically just make you want to hear something that perhaps the band will not create. That's the lesson I learned from the GS era. The album was so different from what I thought it would be. Of course it's not bad to wish for something groundbreaking or the "back to the roots" thing but sometimes it's a lot better to just wait and let Coldplay surprise us all.

Agreed. All this negativity is kind of annoying although everyone has their own opinion. I like how Coldplay has put out something different very album. If I want something upbeat and fun, I listen to MX, I want something more mellow and emotional, first 2 albums. Coldplay gains new fans every era but a lot of the original fans don't like the "new stuff". I guess I'm one of the lucky few who like it all. I'm really looking forward to LP7!

I want the new album to be have:

A piano ballad

A super experimental electronic song

An electric guitar heavy song

And something totally unexpected

Oh please, please let this cone true :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, I will listen to it first online and then decide if I'll buy it or not. I know I am one of the more critical fans, and I really don't like the direction they've been going to lately so, as much as I love this band, I will not buy it just because it is Coldplay.

Also, I don't think it is a wrong or bad thing to have high expectations. To me, this sets them apart from the great ocean of other bands in the world: They have done awesome stuff in the past, they are very talented and if they wanted to, they could make exactly what I wanted to hear ;) No other band or musician has managed to capture my heart with their music as they did. So yes, I do think highly of them.

To be honest, I will listen to it first online and then decide if I'll buy it or not. I know I am one of the more critical fans, and I really don't like the direction they've been going to lately so, as much as I love this band, I will not buy it just because it is Coldplay.

Also, I don't think it is a wrong or bad thing to have high expectations. To me, this sets them apart from the great ocean of other bands in the world: They have done awesome stuff in the past, they are very talented and if they wanted to, they could make exactly what I wanted to hear ;) No other band or musician has managed to capture my heart with their music as they did. So yes, I do think highly of them.

True, plus they've spend God knows how long working on the songs/editing/recording... If I had that much time and freedom on my hands to do music, I'd have really high expectations of myself too.. So there's no excuse really..

• Administrators

I have high expectations for this album, I think Ghost stories was an album that the band had to release. Chris talks about the lyrics flowing out of him and I think this was a "breakup" album that they had to make. I don't think it was necessarily a transitional album for the band and I believe they will create a much more happy and colourful album like Mylo Xyloto this time around. I'm a bit sceptical about these new producers that brought us great songs like "what does the fox say", I really hope they don't ruin the album by over producing it and that it sounds natural and is playable with only the basic instruments when live. All I can say is that we will just have to wait and see whether the album is good or not but I still know that us coldplayers will support Coldplay in whatever they do!

As I've mentioned before I accepted this new Coldplay a long time ago so I don't vigorously care about their output anymore. I'm dead serious when I say a few years from now we may witness collaborations with the likes of Pitbull and that lady with the enormous bottom.

Having to lower your expectations more and more after each album is what I find really odd with Coldplay. There are/were bands out there, U2, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Anathema, Foo Fighters, Porcupine Tree and so on who I know strive for perfection and improvement and experimentation on all their albums. They're always trying to somehow shape the musical landscape and leave a lasting effect.

After a certain point I realized Coldplay are obviously not in the same category as those artists but who cares anymore?! The band is happy doing what they enjoy. They don't care about what fans and critics think and just want to put out what their hearts desire; which I completely appreciate. Their music is like a train journey. Some people got on at the beginning. Others joined it later. Every once in a while an entire generation gets on and then leaves again. What this means though is very very few people are still on the train ;)

As I've mentioned before I accepted this new Coldplay a long time ago so I don't vigorously care about their output anymore. I'm dead serious when I say a few years from now we may witness collaborations with the likes of Pitbull and that lady with the enormous bottom.

Having to lower your expectations more and more after each album is what I find really odd with Coldplay. There are/were bands out there, U2, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Anathema, Foo Fighters, Porcupine Tree and so on who I know strive for perfection and improvement and experimentation on all their albums. They're always trying to somehow shape the musical landscape and leave a lasting effect.

After a certain point I realized Coldplay are obviously not in the same category as those artists but who cares anymore?! The band is happy doing what they enjoy. They don't care about what fans and critics think and just want to put out what their hearts desire; which I completely appreciate. Their music is like a train journey. Some people got on at the beginning. Others joined it later. Every once in a while an entire generation gets on and then leaves again. What this means though is very very few people are still on the train ;)

I've been on this train since the arobtth and x&y and i will continue to be on this train forever, i'm not getting off anytime soon! [emoji2][emoji106]

I'm of the firm belief that X&Y was a major turning point for Coldplay and it's the reason for Coldplay in its current form IMO.

I think after the overwhelming success of A Rush of Blood to the Head, the pressure got to the band big time. Despite being an absolutely exceptional album in my opinion, Critics were very harsh when it first came out and this was the time period when it became "cool" to hate Coldplay. I believe this affected the band a lot, and they were probably overly critical of the album. This is why you never hear any of these songs played live. This signified a change in style on the bands part and resulted in hiring Brian Eno etc. If X&Y had been as good or better than its predecessors, We'd have a very different band than the one we have today.

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

A lot of it had to do with producer ken nelson. He helped produced almost the whole album. They didn't like the production he made on the album. In my opinion, i think the band felt they went nowhere with the album, they felt the album wasn't better than arobtth but the same, no better, no worse. They didn't expand their sound, in my opinion, I think it is better. After all these years though, X&Y is miles better than GS or MX in my opinion.

One qualifying point to make about X&Y live is I think that a lot of the songs are just plain hard to sing for Chris every night. What If, X&Y, SOS, White Shadows and Square One are heavy on the falsetto in the choruses. Which takes a lot of control. It's not like the Scientist where it's one syllable per word in falsetto...but like EVERY word. Which might be the tipping point in choosing an X&Y song vs another.

The Sun+ article. I got the trial membership, just to reveal one quote from their source :S Hopefully they'll have more over the next two months!

The 'new info' is highlighted in bold

---------

CG0HqnPWwAE95Mi.jpg

Disclaimer - for news reporting purposes, for those outside of the UK

S CLUB 7 recently ruled out recording new music.

But their fans needn’t worry – CHRIS MARTIN will be keeping the legend alive.

I’ve learned that COLDPLAY’s seventh album is being masterminded by top producers STARGATE – the brains behind some of S Club’s biggest hits.

The Norwegian duo – real names TOR ERIK HERMANSEN and MIKKEL STORLEER ERIKSEN – are responsible for classics including S Club Party and Two In A Million, as well as BLUE’s All Rise and One Love.

In fairness, they were behind BEYONCE’s Irreplaceable too.

Now Chris and the gang have got them to produce new release A Head Full Of Dreams.

A source revealed: “Chris wants the material to have a stronger pop sound.”

If there’s not a cover of Reach as a bonus track I’ll be sorely disappointed.